PDA

View Full Version : a cryer every year

Pages : [1] 2

Ron Haven
03-05-2008, 17:07
Hope these make it. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=217645 :-?

Allen66
03-05-2008, 17:21
Hope What Makes It??

Neurosis
03-05-2008, 17:28
Hope What Makes It??

I completely agree, I have no idea what this thread is talking about? Please explain.

Tabasco
03-05-2008, 17:32
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=217645

A-Train
03-05-2008, 17:36
What're ya gonna do? No business can acheive an 100% success and satisfaction rate. Some people are hard to please. Sounds like there are a lot more rave reviews about your place than complaints. I'd stay there if I came thru again.

They're entitled to their opinion and are allowed to post it. Don't let it get you down.

iesman69
03-05-2008, 17:36
Ron, maybe u shoulda had Dave give 'em turn down service and mints on their pillows!! You guys rock!! From reading his TJ, the kid seems like a chump...

Allen66
03-05-2008, 17:46
One person's opinion.

Tinker
03-05-2008, 17:58
So what are you crying about, Ron? :p

I guess they got in last, got the worst mattress in the place (because the others were taken), and had cold showers because they were the last ones up that day after all others had used up the hot water???

They'll have worse! ;)

Lilred
03-05-2008, 18:00
Oh good grief, sounds like these folks think the world revolves around them. Well, it doesn't. Not to worry Ron, everyone here knows your place is hiker heaven and you're a top notch guy to boot. Cry babies for sure.

Had a similar thing happen to me in Pearsburg at the church hostel. Caretaker came in at 8:30 am when he had said the previous nite the shuttle was at nine.

Announced he was leaving in five minutes. I was eating breakfast. Guess what I did. I gave away my breakfast, packed up like a maniac, and was in that man's car in five minutes. Never once occurred to me to complain, these people have lives too. I was grateful for the ride, which he didn't charge me for.

Came to find out later, his sister had died that Friday. He buried her, and never missed a beat with the shuttles and mail drops all weekend. I was very humbled by his commitment to us.

spittinpigeon
03-05-2008, 18:13
This year's minnesota smith? And there's TWO of them? What a treat.

HikerRanky
03-05-2008, 18:17
I read some of their journal, and it sounds like they liked car camping and then decided that they could hike the AT... And then the reality set in of what life on the trail is all about.

Ron, I've heard nothing but great things about your services and your great commitment to the hikers on the trail. Don't sweat one bad review....

Randy

Ron Haven
03-05-2008, 18:35
I just wanted to have fun with their post.I believe they will be ok once reality sets in.Bad thing about it is most don't make it past the Smokies if that far thinking everything is going to be perfect and always on time.:D

They got really mad about me shuttling another hiker who stayed at another motel last night.I believe that's what set them off and then when I couldn't wait for them til 9 or 9:30 because of a prior opointment that did it :eek:.
All down hill from there.Truthfully in everyway I am only human and I can't be perfect and please everyone.So that's why I gave em back $40.This way they got a room and shuttle free and was still unhappy.:mad:

buff_jeff
03-05-2008, 18:39
I read some of their journal, and it sounds like they liked car camping and then decided that they could hike the AT... And then the reality set in of what life on the trail is all about.

Ron, I've heard nothing but great things about your services and your great commitment to the hikers on the trail. Don't sweat one bad review....

Randy

Yeah, I'm getting that too. Hell, it took them 16 days to make 100 miles, and it seems like they complain about their knees every other journal.

hobojoe
03-05-2008, 18:47
I like DB coopers guest book entry. The rule is NEVER depend on anything on the AT but yourself. It's not like you were taking them to the E.R. or anything.

Skidsteer
03-05-2008, 18:51
Truthfully in everyway I am only human and I can't be perfect and please everyone.So that's why I gave em back $40.This way they got a room and shuttle free and was still unhappy.:mad:

Get out of town!

You refunded their money and these ingrates still aren't happy?

That shines a new light on the matter. :mad:

CaseyB
03-05-2008, 18:52
Just don't go flam'n their guestbook like Gatorgump's last year. Makes whiteblaze look like a bunch of 'packsniffer' groupie cyber-hikers.

TOW
03-05-2008, 19:04

Randy
you wouldn't believe it but I remember one sniveler I had in here last year when i cooked for about four hikers. i had asked everyone of them if pork chops, taters, gravy, green beans, biscuits, and ice cream would satisfy their hunger? everyone of them said "yes!" i do recall the lass sayin' that she was mostly a vegan but she could splurge on some meat this one time.

well by golly after i get the whole thing finished she decided that she was going to be a vegan again and said that she could not eat the meat. so i says "eat the taters, green beans, and biscuits then."

she says "i would like a meat subsitute, fix me some eggs!" she said this with much emotion in her voice like she expected me to jump to it.

i informed her, "young lady you may either eat what i laid down in front of you or you may leave. i asked all of you point blank if pork chops were okay? you're the one who decided after the meal was prepared that it was not and the rest of your clan here doesn't seem to be having a problem with the meal. so i am not fixing anything else and besides it is i who invited you to eat so don't demand anything of me!" i was hot i tell ya! i never said hey can you guys give me some money if i fix you a meal, i cook for thru hikers sometimes because thru food good conversations come about and i love to hear of others adventures......

she left but i heard about it the next day when one of her friends showed up to use the phone and thought i owed her an apology. the friend left in a hurry too..........

there's always going to be snivelers no matter if they are recieving a gift, but i can honestly say she was the only one out of how many hundred that i got to enjoy their company?

i'm afreashed and ready for another one this year. maybe i will fix those eggs this time............

Survivor Dave
03-05-2008, 19:08
Shoot, someone had the idea to bash them already in their TJ guest book and signed it DB Cooper! Obviously there was no e-mail address recorded.

I do caution those of you that wish to follow, that the ISP IS recorded with Leif(Matt Olsen) if they wanted to find out who left an entry.

It started before your place Ron. They apparantly bitched at Neels because the power went out and couldn't watch the VCR and had to eat cold pizza by candlelight.

Boo frickin' hoo!:(:(:(:(

What next? No flushing privies?:D

Ron, your an upstanding man and everyone knows that!

SD

Appalachian Tater
03-05-2008, 19:10
Internet Posse!

HikerRanky
03-05-2008, 19:24
you wouldn't believe it but I remember one sniveler I had in here last year when i cooked for about four hikers. i had asked everyone of them if pork chops, taters, gravy, green beans, biscuits, and ice cream would satisfy their hunger? everyone of them said "yes!" i do recall the lass sayin' that she was mostly a vegan but she could splurge on some meat this one time.

well by golly after i get the whole thing finished she decided that she was going to be a vegan again and said that she could not eat the meat. so i says "eat the taters, green beans, and biscuits then."

she says "i would like a meat subsitute, fix me some eggs!" she said this with much emotion in her voice like she expected me to jump to it.

i informed her, "young lady you may either eat what i laid down in front of you or you may leave. i asked all of you point blank if pork chops were okay? you're the one who decided after the meal was prepared that it was not and the rest of your clan here doesn't seem to be having a problem with the meal. so i am not fixing anything else and besides it is i who invited you to eat so don't demand anything of me!" i was hot i tell ya! i never said hey can you guys give me some money if i fix you a meal, i cook for thru hikers sometimes because thru food good conversations come about and i love to hear of others adventures......

she left but i heard about it the next day when one of her friends showed up to use the phone and thought i owed her an apology. the friend left in a hurry too..........

there's always going to be snivelers no matter if they are recieving a gift, but i can honestly say she was the only one out of how many hundred that i got to enjoy their company?

i'm afreashed and ready for another one this year. maybe i will fix those eggs this time............

Yeah, I can believe it TOW..... Some people believe that we are guaranteed that life will always be on their terms..... It isn't, unless you never get outside or deal with other people...

I just hope these people don't stop by your place there in Damascus..... Or maybe we SHOULD hope that they do....

Of course then they will put in their journal that everyone was very bad and not to use them ever....

Randy

ChinMusic
03-05-2008, 19:25
This thread is a great lesson on how NOT to act on the AT. It serves a vital purpose.

Gray Blazer
03-05-2008, 19:29
Ron Haven is a top-notch guy!!

HikerRanky
03-05-2008, 19:35
It started before your place Ron. They apparantly bitched at Neels because the power went out and couldn't watch the VCR and had to eat cold pizza by candlelight.

Boo frickin' hoo!:(:(:(:(

What next? No flushing privies?:D

Ron, your an upstanding man and everyone knows that!

SD

The power incident didn't get mentioned in their journal.... And I absolutely love cold pizza!!!

Summit
03-05-2008, 19:38
Ron, I think that couple should (probably are) carry one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/662980

:D :D :D

You're the best, Ron. Don't worry about it.
I'm hiking a little north of you in April (Roan Mtn. area), but I will return to my favorite Nantahalas soon, and when I do I'll be sure to call on you. ;)

ShakeyLeggs
03-05-2008, 19:41
What gets me is that nobody twisted their arms to go hiking. The made a choice to hike the AT, to be wet, tired, sore, uncomfortable, and just plain miserable at times. Then they have the gall to whine about a bed and shuttle. Well if that is the worst that happens while they are hiking then they have it made. I wish them luck and hope they do enjoy the hike and not focus on the negatives and those pesky perceived MINOR slights.

ed bell
03-05-2008, 19:45
The power incident didn't get mentioned in their journal.... And I absolutely love cold pizza!!!I saw it. They were disappointed with the stay there.

Seems to me that some aspiring GA-ME hikers put a lot of stock in the off trail satisfaction they want/desire. Seems like a recipe for disappointment. Hiking from GA to ME is a big goal, and luxurious town comforts should be low on the list as criteria for success IMHO.

Ron Haven
03-05-2008, 19:52
Just don't go flam'n their guestbook like Gatorgump's last year. Makes whiteblaze look like a bunch of 'packsniffer' groupie cyber-hikers.I didn't want to put nothing on their trail journal.He may have the folks back home fooled into thinking he is a trail whiz. :banana I wouldn't want to spoil that for him.I just hope somewhere out there in the forest they run into my great aunt LIZZY the lice eat up :eek:. then I am going to laugh my arce off :dance All have a good hike :)

Sly
03-05-2008, 20:00
Just don't go flam'n their guestbook like Gatorgump's last year. Makes whiteblaze look like a bunch of 'packsniffer' groupie cyber-hikers.

If they elect to act like a cry babies, they shouldn't be surprised if they get criticized.

Sly
03-05-2008, 20:02
All down hill from there.Truthfully in everyway I am only human and I can't be perfect and please everyone.So that's why I gave em back $40.This way they got a room and shuttle free and was still unhappy.:mad:

Get out of town!

You refunded their money and these ingrates still aren't happy?

And wrote about it on Ron's computer! Where's their guest book link? ;)

Sly
03-05-2008, 20:08
The power incident didn't get mentioned in their journal.... And I absolutely love cold pizza!!!

Yeah, it did. And the shuttle wasn't running! :p

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=217206

ed bell
03-05-2008, 20:10
Ron, my wife used your services in 2003. You were a stand up guy then and I can't see how that has changed. No worries and thanks for all the goodwill you provide.:sun

HikerRanky
03-05-2008, 20:11
I saw it. They were disappointed with the stay there.

Seems to me that some aspiring GA-ME hikers put a lot of stock in the off trail satisfaction they want/desire. Seems like a recipe for disappointment. Hiking from GA to ME is a big goal, and luxurious town comforts should be low on the list as criteria for success IMHO.

Thanks Ed and SD... I found the entry in the journal about the power incident.... It was the previous one from the one I was reading....

I liked the statement about the 7th day being less than civilized.... Perhaps they were expecting the trail to be paved as well?

Randy

Sly
03-05-2008, 20:12
I like this quote (after they re-outfitted at Mountain Crossings).

"Pirate is a 60 something character who has thruhiked 20 times and will go for it again!"

LOL....

Tin Man
03-05-2008, 20:18
I only got as far as the journal entry where they ate hummus. Never trust anyone who eats hummus. Blech.

Skidsteer
03-05-2008, 20:31
I like this quote (after they re-outfitted at Mountain Crossings).

"Pirate is a 60 something character who has thruhiked 20 times and will go for it again!"

LOL....

I'd give a six pack to hear what Pirate thought of them. :D

Survivor Dave
03-05-2008, 20:55
Skids, you might have to double that quantity. Remeber he needs the sixer to warm up first!:D:D:D:D:D

I'd give a six pack to hear what Pirate thought of them. :D

Wedge1173
03-05-2008, 21:15
Did you read that they couldn't find any flashlights when the power went out?

Um, what about the one you are carrying?

Tin Man
03-05-2008, 21:21
These clucks are whining every day; must be having fun. :rolleyes:

nightshaded
03-05-2008, 21:23
holy *hit!!
their journal is hysterical!
i think the first clue that they may not quite be cut out for through-hiking is the fact that they're whining about not being able to have sex in the shelters...just seems they didn't think this backpacking thing through very well....not to mention the whining about the "LONG" 8-mile day....
if they're still on the trail in april, i look forward to passing them up :D

Tin Man
03-05-2008, 21:33
In the "sex" journal entry, they also posted this...

"Our shelter experience wasn't good. People stomped around in wet dirty boots inside the shelter even after I asked one guy to take them off in the porch. They even stepped on our mattress - "it's not mine so I don't care" attitude."

I think "one guy" and "they" already has this cluck's number and I hope they run into each other more often. Guess not though at 6 mpd.

MoodyBluer
03-05-2008, 21:35
I just wanted to have fun with their post.I believe they will be ok once reality sets in.Bad thing about it is most don't make it past the Smokies if that far thinking everything is going to be perfect and always on time.:D

They got really mad about me shuttling another hiker who stayed at another motel last night.I believe that's what set them off and then when I couldn't wait for them til 9 or 9:30 because of a prior opointment that did it :eek:.

Ron, I am also in the service business and you know there is a subset of folks who will take the slightest setback or delay and associate this with armageddon. Nothing you do to try and remedy the situation will make them happy as they now have "branded" you as something to avoid. Forget about them!

Better to concentrate on the folks who have a more positive outlook on things but I understand your desire to try and make everyone happy...wish it were possible. You shuttled me to Deep Gap last year and I thought your outlook and service were outstanding and I would tell anyone that.

HikerRanky
03-05-2008, 21:37
I wonder if they have maps or no maps :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Cuffs
03-05-2008, 22:16
They had the choice to walk into Ron's place or any other place that may have looked more appealing to them. No one forced them there. Dont like it, move!

They never posted the new weights of what they are carrying either... but considering they started with 45 & 60+ pounds, no wonder their feet & legs hurt all the time!

Sadly, all of us reading their antics has pushed up their hit count... but I admit its a funny read, look forward to more of their misadventures!

envirodiver
03-05-2008, 22:22
you wouldn't believe it but I remember one sniveler I had in here last year when i cooked for about four hikers. i had asked everyone of them if pork chops, taters, gravy, green beans, biscuits, and ice cream would satisfy their hunger? everyone of them said

TOW, unbelievable that people will complain about a meal that someone has prepared for them out of the goodness of their heart. And anyway what kind of person could possibly complain about pork chops, taters, green beans, biscuits and ice cream. Geez.

The one that gets me though is the ungrateful person that comes to your home to use your phone and then complains.

Hikerhead
03-05-2008, 22:25
You should have told them that the bus broke down and they would have to walk back to the trail. :)

woodsy
03-05-2008, 22:30
Ron Haven

Doesn't Franklin have a waaaaaambulance:D

Lost My Mind
03-05-2008, 22:44
pork chops, taters, gravy, green beans, biscuits, and ice cream.

Be there in April. Menu's fine with me! Using that Swiss peeler on those taters?;)

Ron Haven
03-05-2008, 23:03
Be there in April. Menu's fine with me! Using that Swiss peeler on those taters?;)All that stuff he mentioned is gona cause me to stop in too.I'll eat meat or what ever else I can get :D

Ron Haven
03-05-2008, 23:27
For all the many Whiteblazers who gave me good comments I thank all of you.We refer to people like this is skinning their ignorance.I thought all of you would get a kick out of this is why I posted it :D

emerald
03-06-2008, 00:17
Just wait until they begin whining about unsatisfactory TM.:rolleyes: Whiners should pay double the standard rate to all who must listen to their whining.

Roots
03-06-2008, 00:26
When I read their post today, I could not believe it. I read almost every journal of those starting out every year. My jaw dropped with the 'can't have sex' post. Then you add today....dear LORD...What idiots!!!!

Can't wait to see you in April, Ron!! :)

Sly
03-06-2008, 00:32
My jaw dropped with the 'can't have sex' post.

LOL... I saw where they had an argument and was ready for "we had awesome sex after and all was forgotten!" ;)

River Runner
03-06-2008, 00:42
Well their journal is certainly a hoot. I signed their guest book and let them know I was surprised they had a bad experience at Ron's because we had a great experience there last fall when we section hiked.

Seems they've complained in their journal about everywhere they've stayed so far. It's sad they don't seem to realize the wealth of information and experience places like Ron's and Walasi Yi provide, and the local history and traditions they can learn about at such places. It's worth a stay at Ron's just to get to here about 'Uncle Henry'.

Roots
03-06-2008, 01:00
LOL... I saw where they had an argument and was ready for "we had awesome sex after and all was forgotten!" ;)

I know....good for them(said in a sarcastic way... :) )They blew my mind from the 'get go'. Obviously they blow each others as well. :D

bfitz
03-06-2008, 01:06
I like how they had to replan the days mileage. You may have delayed their arrival at katahdin by a few hours.

Big Oz
03-06-2008, 01:06
Well their journal is certainly a hoot. I signed their guest book and let them know I was surprised they had a bad experience at Ron's because we had a great experience there last fall when we section hiked.

Seems they've complained in their journal about everywhere they've stayed so far. It's sad they don't seem to realize the wealth of information and experience places like Ron's and Walasi Yi provide, and the local history and traditions they can learn about at such places. It's worth a stay at Ron's just to get to here about 'Uncle Henry'.these cartoons have got to be mental patients.They must be a perfect match because anyone else who would want to have sex with either one of the must have a grudge against their bottom end.ron haven has always been nothing less than a hero for all hikers.they got mad because he shuttled a hiker from another motel. for these dummies info.he helps all hikers.send him back money for that room you bunch of thieving free loaders :mad: i hate this deal and i am not even there.

Sly
03-06-2008, 01:07
Obviously they blow each others as well. :D

Roots! :eek:

ed bell
03-06-2008, 01:17
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Ain't scrutiny a bitch?:-?

Jim Adams
03-06-2008, 01:19
The Budget Inn and Saphire are great places to stop. I stopped at the Budget Inn for a night only to find out Hiker Fools Fest was in two days so I moved to the Saphire at that point. Finally I slept next to fellow hikers on the lawn next to the pool. As I remember there was plenty of food and even more smiles and good music. I am sure that Ron Haven and all who work at his hotels care about hikers.

Matteroo
03-06-2008, 02:05
They may be being jerks a bit but it also sounds like a lot of people new to the trail-things surprise-everyone hurts.

Ron has interacted with them so I trust his word above speculation but I dunno, hey they're out hiking.. and learning what works and what doesn't. Maybe they will come to appreciate things or maybe they will be consistent jerks and have their nose in the air towards 'matresses' that don't meet their level of expectations.

lots of folks jumped on gator gump's journal and I'll tell you I loved it from that first pic, and when I saw him in the middle of virginia I asked.. are you Gator Gump.. "Yes, thats me..".. so I asked if I could shake his hand.

-Water

Sly
03-06-2008, 02:06
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Ain't scrutiny a bitch?:-?

I should do a journal, if only for the shock value. :D

digger51
03-06-2008, 02:09
That settles it Ron, I will never stay at your place again. Unless I am in Franklin that is, then yours is the only place to be. Stay cool Ron. You are one of the best.

Ron Haven
03-06-2008, 02:21
That settles it Ron, I will never stay at your place again. Unless I am in Franklin that is, then yours is the only place to be. Stay cool Ron. You are one of the best.Digger if I find out you are staying somewhere else in Franklin I'll haint chee when I die.

eventidecu
03-06-2008, 03:17
Well if you "pay" for something you expect to get what your "paying for" and they have the right to snivle if they want but Geez, you giving them back their money is all that can be done for them and they should just move on and and be thankful the bad service they thought they got didn't cost them anything. Cause I'd bet they have a whole lot of "bad" coming that they "will" pay for. LOL One being caught out in weather in a bad spot wishing Ron's place was available. Should be about the Smokies I'd say. Hey Ron wont you meet them as they come out of the Smokies and asked them if they want a ride back to a 40.00 lumpy motel for a cold shower? Bet they take it. LOL

Sly
03-06-2008, 03:35
Well if you "pay" for something you expect to get what your "paying for" and they have the right to snivle if they want but ........

What about the things they don't pay for like internet and shuttles (if I'm not mistaken)?

eventidecu
03-06-2008, 04:14
If Internet and shuttles are in your "billing" as part of the service you "PROVIDE" then it's paid for with the fee for the services, whatever that is. The difference is "provided" and "offered" services. But hey I'm not defending them other than if I go in a motel I personally expect hot water. You and I both know thats specifically one of the biggest reasons you hit the motel for anyway. But if I brought it to someones attention and they took care of it and or I got even part of my money back, thats all anyone can ask for or expect and I'd consider the place and the proprietor to be upstanding anyway, just had a bad day which happens to all places from time to time. Also you have to keep in mind the difference between a 40.00 a night MOTEL vs. a 5.00 a night hostel as far as expecations goe's. It may have not been Ron's fault for anything but he did the right thing because he know's the difference. Thats what sets his place apart from others. Coodo's Ron, you did everything you could and thats all you can do.

Sly
03-06-2008, 04:38
But if I brought it to someones attention and they took care of it and or I got even part of my money back, thats all anyone can ask for or expect and I'd consider the place and the proprietor to be upstanding anyway, just had a bad day which happens to all places from time to time. .

Well, according to Ron, they happened to get ALL their money back, which wasn't mentioned in her diatribe, most likely posted from Ron's computer. Is that cool, or was she having a bad day?

bredler
03-06-2008, 04:40
Breakfast: oatmeal with cinnamon, blueberries, cranberries and fermented soy powder
Lunch: lentils, mashed potatoes, fermented soy powder, fig newmans, turkey jerky
Snack: dates, soba noodles
Dinner: refried beans, hummus, fig newmans

Fermented Soy powder? dates? soba noodles?

RE, their packs: They have served us well all over the world in the past 13 years, so we didn't mind retiring them and shelling out for a pair of brand new, much lighter packs. We also got new sleeping bags, because our old ones were ridiculed as "summer bags" and we may not have made it through the Smoky Mountains with those.

So they've been all over the world for 13 years, but didn't have adequate (sp) sleeping bags for cool weather? Also interesting how all their gear appeard to be new and, as much as possible, matching...

I'm going to give a preliminary label as douchebags here. Yuppie (although questionable on "young") hiker wannabes.

gungho
03-06-2008, 05:22
For all the many Whiteblazers who gave me good comments I thank all of you.We refer to people like this is skinning their ignorance.I thought all of you would get a kick out of this is why I posted it :D

This just proves,some people are ungratefull no matter how hard you bend over backwards for them. Keep up the good work Ron. WE love you man :)

eventidecu
03-06-2008, 05:25
No that wasn't cool for them post their complaint from his computer I agree. Don't throw me under the bus as if I'm defending them cause I'm not. Just commenting on if they had problems with services they expected to get for which they paid for, they have the right to say something. Expecting hot water in a motel room is a reasonable expectation anywhere. Them getting all their money back was Ron's decision. He could have given them half but I think he did the right thing. See now THEIR the heal for bitching about the room but everyone knows they didn't pay ANYTHING for it, eliminating their "right" to expect anything. You have to take one for the team every now and then in business and Ron knows that. It's called customer service, do everything you can to make them happy then it's up to them. Thats all you can do. They sound like their just not happy with trail life and looking to blame anything other than the fact their not happy with "trail life" itself. I haven't read much of their journal but I would agree they are a little weird and as I said earlier, they should be praising the fact that Ron took care of them in the end ( they wernt happy, they got their money back) what more could they expect. Not running the biz down. Again Ron your a stand up guy. Personally I'd meet them at the NOC and explain to them I heard they were posting negative remarks about my business and ask them for the opportunity to try again and shuttle them back for another night. If it wasn't to their liking it too would be on the house. ( Ron gives two nights for one which equals half the money and half is better than none plus they might realize what heals they were and give a big tip ) make everything perfect and then if they bitched, we would meet them at Fontana and toss them weird o's over the dam. LOL
Never know it might turn their "outlook" around and make their whole trip! Wheres the love people? LOL

Egads
03-06-2008, 06:50
a couple of posers, that's all

rickb
03-06-2008, 06:52

Even if they were right to complain (how would I know way up here), if you are going to post comments like theirs I think it was their responsibility to share how you gave them their money back.

That they did not is telling.

TOW
03-06-2008, 07:33
TOW, unbelievable that people will complain about a meal that someone has prepared for them out of the goodness of their heart. And anyway what kind of person could possibly complain about pork chops, taters, green beans, biscuits and ice cream. Geez.

The one that gets me though is the ungrateful person that comes to your home to use your phone and then complains.
I was just relating this one single incident to emphasize that here are snivelers at every level. But I don't remember any other problems other than telling a few to leave because they were intoxicated and they did.

However there were three guys that were here for TD's last year that were here for none other than to use and mooch off of everyone they could and they even bragged about it. And I am sure there will be more like them this year but I hope I don't encounter them.

TOW
03-06-2008, 07:35
Be there in April. Menu's fine with me! Using that Swiss peeler on those taters?;)
I'll be expecting you. Did you get the PM I sent with my address?

TOW
03-06-2008, 07:37
All that stuff he mentioned is gona cause me to stop in too.I'll eat meat or what ever else I can get :DYou ole mountain story teller I got a big ham waiting to be cooked just for you that I have been saving since Christmas that my landlord gave to me.

TOW
03-06-2008, 07:38
Ron, I love you buddy. Plus I got a kick out of reading their journal.........

TOW
03-06-2008, 07:44
lots of folks jumped on gator gump's journal and I'll tell you I loved it from that first pic, and when I saw him in the middle of virginia I asked.. are you Gator Gump.. "Yes, thats me..".. so I asked if I could shake his hand.

-Water
I met him too, here at Cowboy's. After we chatted for a moment I asked him, "Hey buddy, aren't you the one with his pic of kissing the plaque on top of Springer with his buttocks?" He replied with a big ole grin "Yes I am." And we both laughed. I liked him instantly.

Hooch
03-06-2008, 08:11
Maybe they should change their trail names to Doug and Wendy Whiner. :D:p Complaining does nothing for their situation but make it worse. They should learn how to suck it up and drive on.

Newb
03-06-2008, 08:38
Check this gal out. She seems to be getting more confident, but has a couple of entries on the trail (first couple of days) that indicate she may be wavering.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=217498

Ron Haven
03-06-2008, 10:00
Well, according to Ron, they happened to get ALL their money back, which wasn't mentioned in her diatribe, most likely posted from Ron's computer. Is that cool, or was she having a bad day?I gave them $40 back and yes they used my computers.I don't think they had a problem with anything.They were just cryers and everything they could think of they complained about,even the restaurants.

I try hard to satisfy all my guest.I don't offer a shuttle for customers only.I give a free shuttle to the hikers as a compliment from our town.

They were pissed because I gave a ride to someone who stayed at another motel.They were mad also because I wouldn't wait until 9 or 9:30 for them.I can't remember telling them to be ready at that time as they said I did.But they way they presented theirselves to me that they were both perfect so I didn't argue with them.

Almost There
03-06-2008, 10:27
If they had a problem with Ron's services I can't wait to read about when they hit Hot Springs....I spent $80 on a room with a wall unit AC, no TV...basically a room with beds and a bathroom. Biggest ripoff ever!!! Ron's amenities are alot better and for half the price. They should see the room I had in Buena Vista and the hotel at Rockfish Gap outside of Waynesboro. They're in for lotsa suprises I would think!

No matter what they say, they got restaurant food, and a room with heat...and their money back...no need to suggest to others to stay elsewhere...they have every right to their opinion, and I know Ron would agree with that...but to post negativity about a trail provider without providing the whole story....BEWARE!:eek:...There Be Packsniffin' Asshats Walkin' the Trail!!!:D

Hooch
03-06-2008, 11:17
If they had a problem with Ron's services I can't wait to read about when they hit Hot Springs....I spent $80 on a room with a wall unit AC, no TV...basically a room with beds and a bathroom. Biggest ripoff ever!!! Ron's amenities are alot better and for half the price. They should see the room I had in Buena Vista and the hotel at Rockfish Gap outside of Waynesboro. They're in for lotsa suprises I would think!

No matter what they say, they got restaurant food, and a room with heat...and their money back...no need to suggest to others to stay elsewhere...they have every right to their opinion, and I know Ron would agree with that...but to post negativity about a trail provider without providing the whole story....BEWARE!:eek:...There Be Packsniffin' Asshats Walkin' the Trail!!!:DAsshats? I like that. :D Well, at their current pace, it should take them just shy of 3 more weeks to make Hot Springs from Franklin. :eek: Of course, that doesn't take into account all the zeros they're taking, so my bet says that Dog and Wendy Whiner don't make Hot Springs until the end of the month.

RITBlake
03-06-2008, 11:24
I honestly wouldn't put to much stock in the opinion of someone who wears sunglasses on a foggy/rainy day...

http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/6834/tj6834%5F030408%5F105504%5F298107.jpg

Sly
03-06-2008, 11:29
They were pissed because I gave a ride to someone who stayed at another motel.They were mad also because I wouldn't wait until 9 or 9:30 for them.I can't remember telling them to be ready at that time as they said I did.But they way they presented theirselves to me that they were both perfect so I didn't argue with them.

They had three choices, come now, come later or hitch. Either one would have worked. I guess bad mouthing you was more important than getting back to the trail.

Since I like to get my motel dollars worth I would have said "11am? fantastic!" :D

How did they get back?

Lone Wolf
03-06-2008, 11:31
i never leave a motel until check out time

Hooch
03-06-2008, 11:35
The dude can't be enjoying himself too much, he hasn't smiled in a single picture. Personally, I would be grinning ear to ear even after the blisters set in. But I guess that's just me. :D

Sly
03-06-2008, 11:36

Todays LW vs Sly in agreement score: One for one. :D

The Weasel
03-06-2008, 11:37
People like that never finish trails. Hiking ones or otherwise.

TW

max patch
03-06-2008, 11:39

TW

GatorGump did.

Lone Wolf
03-06-2008, 11:39

Lone Wolf
03-06-2008, 11:40

TW

you must be "like that"

RITBlake
03-06-2008, 11:40
One more thought, question for gear folks. What are the bands he is wearing on his hands in the picture below. It looks like they say Leki but I don't see any trekking poles....what gives?

http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/6834/tj6834%5F030408%5F105504%5F298107.jpg[/quote]

cannonball
03-06-2008, 11:42
I honestly wouldn't put to much stock in the opinion of someone who wears sunglasses on a foggy/rainy day...

http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/6834/tj6834%5F030408%5F105504%5F298107.jpg
But his hair is perfect.
sincerely, Warren Zevon

Almost There
03-06-2008, 11:44
Ya' know Blake maybe they attach to the poles so you don't drop them like the old straps my mom used to use so I wouldn't lose my mittens!

BTW, I'm curious if he is as big a whiner as she is...she's the one writing the journal. Every once in awhile you come across a dude who just looks miserable and never smiles, and usually he's walking dejectedly a step or two behind his yammering, nagging wife. Perhaps the life has been sucked out of him, and hiking the AT with her is his Bataan Death March.

Then again it's possible, very possible that he is as insufferable as she is!

The Weasel
03-06-2008, 11:45
No, Wolf. I'm not 'like that'. Not in Franklin, not in Damascus, and not in life. People like Ron and TOW show kindness and grace far more than even you may realize, and I admire them for doing so, and knowing they are the kind of people I've learned them to be makes me want to walk where they are. As for finishing trails, there are many ways to 'finish'. One day you'll know that, too. And that will be a good thing.

TW

TW

dessertrat
03-06-2008, 11:45

Just getting your money's worth?

cannonball
03-06-2008, 11:46
All that stuff he mentioned is gona cause me to stop in too.I'll eat meat or what ever else I can get :D
If I recall correctly, TOW can also throw down with some very scrumptious fried chicken and homemade grvey as well:D

Lone Wolf
03-06-2008, 11:50
No, Wolf. I'm not 'like that'. Not in Franklin, not in Damascus, and not in life. People like Ron and TOW show kindness and grace far more than even you may realize, and I admire them for doing so, and knowing they are the kind of people I've learned them to be makes me want to walk where they are. As for finishing trails, there are many ways to 'finish'. One day you'll know that, too. And that will be a good thing.

TW

TW

huh? you're rambling as usual:rolleyes:

The Weasel
03-06-2008, 11:51
Rambling, wandering, hiking, walking, yeah, all pretty much the same thing. Good things to do. Especially in good company.

TW

Lone Wolf
03-06-2008, 11:52
If I recall correctly, TOW can also throw down with some very scrumptious fried chicken and homemade grvey as well:D

who is TOW

The Weasel
03-06-2008, 11:52
The Only Wanderer. He likes you a lot.

TW

Lone Wolf
03-06-2008, 11:53
The Only Wanderer. He likes you a lot.

TW

everybody does. especially your buddy tater the racist

The Weasel
03-06-2008, 11:55

Yes, I'm sure everyone does.

TW

warren doyle
03-06-2008, 11:56
Another chapter in the Appalachian Trail Services soap opera.
Another reason to camp in the woods rather than in town.

cannonball
03-06-2008, 11:57
who is TOW
Uh...... The Only Wanderer

The Weasel
03-06-2008, 11:59
No, it's not, Warren, and in light of your "guided trips" it's a bit hypocritical of you to say so.

People like this will be dissatisfied by pretty much everything that isn't "National Geographic" perfect, which, by the way, includes you, to provide a bit of an understatement.

TW

DesertMTB
03-06-2008, 12:11
I stayed with you last October and the room and service were exceptional.

I guess you know more than anyone that there is always going to be that type of customer now and then. Can't please everyone.

But for the price you charge, I can't see anyone compaining.

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 12:23
Is there a hostel open there yet? The lack of one was the top reason why I gave that town a miss during my thruhike in 2006, hiking from Hiawassee to the NOC without resupply.

Yes, I know there are motels there, but don't wish to spend that kind of money. My personal saying re lodging is, "If the price starts with [at least] a 3, it's not for me.".

Sly
03-06-2008, 12:32
Yes, I know there are motels there, but don't wish to spend that kind of money. My personal saying re lodging is, "If the price starts with [at least] a 3, it's not for me.".

I thought you had a good job?

You'd be screwed on the PCT or CDT where hostels are few and far between and the motels out there start at 5 or more.

Pedaling Fool
Is there a hostel open there yet? The lack of one was the top reason why I gave that town a miss during my thruhike in 2006, hiking from Hiawassee to the NOC without resupply.

You skipped Franklin - your loss.

Newb
Man. y'all are brutal. I'll hike with youz any day :0

RITBlake
03-06-2008, 12:34

awesome story....you should set make it your life's mission to set up hostels at every road crossing along the AT.

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 12:48

You'd be screwed on the PCT or CDT where hostels are few and far between and the motels out there start at 5 or more.

I'd rather use my earnings for hiking than for enriching motel operators, that's all.

Oh, and one of the top reasons IMO to hit hostels is to dry out after getting repeatedly soaked for days on end while hiking. That's not supposed to be half the problem on the CDT/PCT as it was on the AT (where it rains on average, what, one out of every three days).

Appalachian Tater
03-06-2008, 13:13

Yes, I know there are motels there, but don't wish to spend that kind of money. My personal saying re lodging is, "If the price starts with [at least] a 3, it's not for me.".I shared a room with three other people and for two nights it was about $25 each ($12+/- an night), I don't remember exactly. Plus we got the narrated tour and a slack thrown in but the driver cried and now every time I get a fever blister I think about chicken **** on my lips. We never did find the Thai restaurant but there was a Mexican restaurant right around the corner with an AYCE and the tamales were so good I thought somebody's grandmother was fixing them but the cook came out to prove that it was really just some guy.

You're right, Franklin sucks because there's no hostel.

Sly
03-06-2008, 13:21
I shared a room with three other people and for two nights it was about $25 each ($12+/- an night), I don't remember exactly.

Right, forgot about sharing rooms. If MS could have found someone to share a room with him he'd save money over a hostel. On the CDT I always shared a room with at least one, and for half the trail, four. It was pretty cheap.

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 13:30
Right, forgot about sharing rooms. If MS could have found someone to share a room with him he'd save money over a hostel. On the CDT I always shared a room with at least one, and for half the trail, four. It was pretty cheap.

My schedule was often different from other hikers, even when I got in shape to where I was hiking comparable #s of miles per week as some other hikers. Telling someone confronting a motel price to share a room (when there can be no one else around) strikes me as akin to my undergraduate college having severely limited parking for dorm residents. Their reasoning was that "the dorm resident can just be let off at the door", never mind answering how I might let myself off. :-?

Anyway, there are lots of near-Trail towns, and hitting them all isn't practical. Choices have to be made, and I found solo lodging prices as useful a tool as any. So, I take it there is no hostel for Franklin open, or in the works anytime soon, then.

Pony
03-06-2008, 13:52
The dude can't be enjoying himself too much, he hasn't smiled in a single picture. Personally, I would be grinning ear to ear even after the blisters set in. But I guess that's just me. :D

If Miss Baldilocks can whine that much in their journal, I can only imagine how bad it must be in person. I hope he brought ear plugs. I don't imagine I would be enjoying myself either. On the other hand I wouldn't be too disapointed that there was no place to have sex.

dessertrat
03-06-2008, 14:38
They are just new is all. Her pack at the begining 45-50 pounds, and his 65-70? Too much weight even for the winter. They will either adapt or quit. Some day they will either realize how petty their complaint was, or they won't. It's OK either way.

ChinMusic
03-06-2008, 15:33
holy *hit!!
their journal is hysterical!
i think the first clue that they may not quite be cut out for through-hiking is the fact that they're whining about not being able to have sex in the shelters...

They are just new is all. Her pack at the begining 45-50 pounds, and his 65-70? Too much weight even for the winter.
I think I have it figured out now. From the first quote maybe the extra weight in the packs can be accounted for by the extra "toys" and car battery......:banana

bfitz
03-06-2008, 15:39
We've all seen lots of trail journals and other things posted on the internet that I'm sure folks would have wished they hadn't posted. Your mind can get pretty hazy in town after a week of hiking.

bfitz
03-06-2008, 15:40
And who says you can't have sex in shelters? That's crazy talk.

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 15:43

Is that they want to sleep in shelters, AND have privacy to "do it". Unfortunately, getting shelters all to one's self overnight in GA/NC in early NOBO season is unlikely; hence their disappointment.

bfitz
03-06-2008, 15:55
Too lazy to set up a tent? It always cracks me up when you see someone carrying the extra weight of a tent but sleeping every night in the shelter. (With the 45/70 lb packs etc I'm assuming there's a tent in there). A lot warmer getting hot and bothered in a tent than naked in a windy/cold shelter anyway.:rolleyes:

mudhead
03-06-2008, 15:57

I figure you have also done the early check-in, late check-out.

Sly
I wonder how long it will be before they get wind of this thread and start posting, or mention it in their journal?

DesertMTB
I read on their journal how they set up their tents in a shelter. Then later a couple "weekenders" came by. She just remained in her tent and continued journaling.

I guess they think they are better cause they are attempting a thru. If you are going to set up a tent in an empty shelter, I can't imagine not putting it down if other hikers show up.

jesse

yea, with eleven guys in the shelter, certainly one would have been willing....

bfitz
03-06-2008, 16:00
yea, with eleven guys in the shelter, certainly one would have been willing....Exactly!

ChinMusic
03-06-2008, 16:01
I guess they think they are better cause they are attempting a thru. If you are going to set up a tent in an empty shelter, I can't imagine not putting it down if other hikers show up.
At this time of year in GA, I can't imagine the shelter NOT being nearly full. Maybe it's a little early for full shelters.

wilconow
03-06-2008, 16:05
This reminds me of the Port Clinton drunk hikers / vigilante action thread from last year. I can't seem to find it.. was it moved to another area or something??

budforester
03-06-2008, 16:05
No, I double- checked, this is not the Humor forum. I gotta go read that journal.

STEVEM
03-06-2008, 16:22
This reminds me of the Port Clinton drunk hikers / vigilante action thread from last year. I can't seem to find it.. was it moved to another area or something??

A Whiteblaze classic: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26229&highlight=SCUMBAG

The Old Fhart
03-06-2008, 16:31
Bfitz-"And who says you can't have sex in shelters? That's crazy talk."I think they meant together, not solo!:D

AlwaysHiking
03-06-2008, 16:32
We couldn't find any flashlights, candles, or matches. Fortunately a car came driving by and Mike flagged down a man called Tom who provided us with an emergency kit. We ate cold food and read books in candlelight.

LMAO! They've got a backpacking stove and flashlights or head lamps of some sort and they had to get some poor guy to give up his emergency kit!!!

That's good stuff right there!

GGS2
03-06-2008, 16:49
That one got me, too. Can you imagine flagging some guy down like it was an emergency, and begging his kit, all the while warm and cozy in a hostel? I am amazed at what people expect when they go out their front door. It seems to be all the way from expecting a four star hotel every night (rather like some European trails, I guess) to expecting to be eaten by wolves just outside the city limits.

Up here in Canada, we actually have two different kinds of trails. There are those in the south which expect you to car hike and stay in a bed & breakfast every night, and then there are the wilderness sections of northern trails where you are essentially on your own, and where there may really be some animals out to eat you. Even so, the number of hikers eaten each year is very small.

I'm actually disappointed how few southern Ontario trails are accommodating of overnight campers. It's actually forbidden on most trails. Bummer. You have to stealth all the time, which does work mostly, or go in search of a motel or something, and pay big bucks. Bucks that I don't have. The AT hostel system seems fine to me.

jesse
03-06-2008, 16:52
That's good stuff right there!

Redford should forget about filming, AWitW. He should secure the movie rights to their journal. I'm thinking about that yuppie couple that played Chevy Chases' next door neighbor in Christmas Vacation, would be perfect for the leads.

A-Train
03-06-2008, 16:59

Ditto. Maximize your money. I never got why some people snuck out at 6am....

Appalachian Tater
03-06-2008, 17:12
We've all seen lots of trail journals and other things posted on the internet that I'm sure folks would have wished they hadn't posted. Your mind can get pretty hazy in town after a week of hiking.Must say that the post under discussion is not atypical for them. If I remember correctly, it was on Springer that she complained about hikers who walked in the shelter with muddy boots on EVEN AFTER she asked them to take them off on the "porch".

Littlest Hobo
03-06-2008, 17:15
Up here in Canada, we actually have two different kinds of trails. There are those in the south which expect you to car hike and stay in a bed & breakfast every night, and then there are the wilderness sections of northern trails where you are essentially on your own, and where there may really be some animals out to eat you. Even so, the number of hikers eaten each year is very small.

I'm actually disappointed how few southern Ontario trails are accommodating of overnight campers. It's actually forbidden on most trails. Bummer. You have to stealth all the time, which does work mostly, or go in search of a motel or something, and pay big bucks. Bucks that I don't have. The AT hostel system seems fine to me.

I hear ya. I would love to thru hike the Bruce or Rideau trails, but the lack of camping opportunities make this difficult, if not impossible. Really limited to Algonquin (which has a 7 to 8 day loop) of Killarney Provincial Park (which has a 100k loop).

Guess it doesn't really matter anyway, with 3 feet of snow still on the ground and another foot expected this weekend, I'm not going anywhere...

Frosty
03-06-2008, 17:16
No, it's not, Warren, and in light of your "guided trips" it's a bit hypocritical of you to say so.

People like this will be dissatisfied by pretty much everything that isn't "National Geographic" perfect, which, by the way, includes you, to provide a bit of an understatement.

TWDecaf for you for the rest of the day.

Frosty
03-06-2008, 17:19
there are lots of near-Trail towns, and hitting them all isn't practical. Choices have to be madeSad but true...

Heater
03-06-2008, 17:28
Another chapter in the Appalachian Trail Services soap opera.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Heater
03-06-2008, 17:29

TW

Hee hee! ;)

Sly
03-06-2008, 17:33
If I remember correctly, it was on Springer that she complained about hikers who walked in the shelter with muddy boots on EVEN AFTER she asked them to take them off on the "porch".

LOL... :p

Heater
03-06-2008, 17:45
My schedule was often different from other hikers, even when I got in shape to where I was hiking comparable #s of miles per week as some other hikers. Telling someone confronting a motel price to share a room (when there can be no one else around) strikes me as akin to my undergraduate college having severely limited parking for dorm residents. Their reasoning was that "the dorm resident can just be let off at the door", never mind answering how I might let myself off. :-?

Anyway, there are lots of near-Trail towns, and hitting them all isn't practical. Choices have to be made, and I found solo lodging prices as useful a tool as any. So, I take it there is no hostel for Franklin open, or in the works anytime soon, then.

Why were you so "solo" while others were sharing comfortable rooms? :confused:

Gray Blazer
03-06-2008, 17:58
Breakfast: oatmeal with cinnamon, blueberries, cranberries and fermented soy powder
Lunch: lentils, mashed potatoes, fermented soy powder, fig newmans, turkey jerky
Snack: dates, soba noodles
Dinner: refried beans, hummus, fig newmans

If I had to eat that, I wouldn't be a happy camper either. I'd prolly eat cheezeburger-in-a-can first. I may die of a heart-attack, but at least I'll die happy.

Phreak
03-06-2008, 17:58
Why were you so "solo" while others were sharing comfortable rooms? :confused:
Easy. Would you want to share a room with MS?

Locutus
03-06-2008, 18:01
I've never even heard of hummus or lentils...

Gray Blazer
03-06-2008, 18:07
Easy. Would you want to share a room with MS?

You wouldn't run out of toilet paper.(:o Sorry, MS, I did bite my tongue really hard before posting).

Gray Blazer
03-06-2008, 18:08

I've heard of it. :eek:

emerald
03-06-2008, 18:15
Wishing I'd logged on as Church Lady: Well, isn't this today's hot thread?

What about the things they don't pay for like Internet and shuttles (if I'm not mistaken)?

Seems to me they're paying double for their Internet and scuttles -- just as it should be.;)

Even if they were right to complain (how would I know way up here), if you are going to post comments like theirs I think it was their responsibility to share how you gave them their money back.

That they did not is telling.

Maybe the refund happened afterwards.:eek:

Maybe they should change their trail names to Doug and Wendy Whiner. :D:p Complaining does nothing for their situation but make it worse. They should learn how to suck it up and drive on.

I can imagine what it would be like meeting Wendy Whiner.:-?

Hi, I'm Wendy Whyner and I talk through my nose. Did you see on the Internet we're thru-hiking!?

Well, isn't that nice! You know, Wendy, some people might think you'd be better off if you'd simply shut up and hike!:rolleyes:

Couldn't have said it better myself! Had they done so, we wouldn't be reading about it, but then what fun would that be?:D

Phreak
03-06-2008, 18:27
You wouldn't run out of toilet paper.(:o Sorry, MS, I did bite my tongue really hard before posting).

LOL :p

Tin Man
03-06-2008, 18:29
We've all seen lots of trail journals and other things posted on the internet that I'm sure folks would have wished they hadn't posted. Your mind can get pretty hazy in town after a week of hiking.

True, but I don't think it applies here. I don't think these folks grew new ********s on the trail, they brung them with them. This is who they are.

The trail may have educated some, but these two appear to need more education than they are willing to accept. Judging from their actions and pack weights, I suspect they did little research and are unlikely to accept advice on reducing their load and going with the flow. I suspect they will soon drop out. They don't sound like the type to admit they are wrong about much of anything. Let's hope I am a wrong.

Appalachian Tater
03-06-2008, 18:40
I suspect they did little research and are unlikely to accept advice on reducing their load and going with the flow. They completely re-outfitted at Neels Gap.

Hooch
03-06-2008, 18:40
True, but I don't think it applies here. I don't think these folks grew new ********s on the trail, they brung them with them. This is who they are.

The trail may have educated some, but these two appear to need more education than they are willing to accept. Judging from their actions and pack weights, I suspect they did little research and are unlikely to accept advice on reducing their load and going with the flow. I suspect they will soon drop out. They don't sound like the type to admit they are wrong about much of anything. Let's hope I am a wrong.According tho their TJ, they got "re-outfitted" at Walasi-Yi. I think they mentioned getting rid of their multi-fule stove and getting an alcohol stove. They were also told their "expedition size" packs were overkill/too heavy and their sleeping bags were summer weight. Obviously a couple of DINK's (Dual Income, No Kids) with more money than sense to do proper research ahead of time. They would have saved themselves a lot of discomfort had they lightened their loads before they started. But if they want to drop tons of money after the fact, that's on them.

emerald
03-06-2008, 18:43

Maybe. What on Earth prompts such people to hike the AT? Are there more people like them now than 30 years ago or has the Internet called to our attention what would have not been noteworthy before?

The trail may have educated some, but these two appear to need more education than they are willing to accept.

... or the trail can provide.

Judging from their actions and pack weights, I suspect they did little research and are unlikely to accept advice on reducing their load and going with the flow. I suspect they will soon drop out. They don't sound like the type to admit they are wrong about much of anything. Let's hope I am a wrong.

One can only hope. Sometimes I'm glad I live in Pennsylvania. It does have its advantages.;)

Tin Man
03-06-2008, 18:45
They completely re-outfitted at Neels Gap.

According tho their TJ, they got "re-outfitted" at Walasi-Yi. I think they mentioned getting rid of their multi-fule stove and getting an alcohol stove. They were also told their "expedition size" packs were overkill/too heavy and their sleeping bags were summer weight. Obviously a couple of DINK's (Dual Income, No Kids) with more money than sense to do proper research ahead of time. They would have saved themselves a lot of discomfort had they lightened their loads before they started. But if they want to drop tons of money after the fact, that's on them.

Thanks for the update. I guess I am behind in my TJ reading. Sounds like pain won over pride. They must have paid attention to the fact that people traveling lighter were moving faster and not complaining as much. Now let's see if they get a friendlier trail personality.

Tin Man
03-06-2008, 18:50
Maybe. What on Earth prompts such people to hike the AT? Are there more people like them now than 30 years ago or has the Internet called to our attention what would have not been noteworthy before?

I suspect the AT is no different then anywhere else. Every walk of life needs a model to avoid.

Jason of the Woods
03-06-2008, 18:52
I don't know. I'm scared now because this ONE person had a run in with you? My real problem is what do we do if you are full? We are leaving on April 4th but hiking very slow. My calculations put us their on the 27th but we might see something that puts us a day behind.....

Hooch
03-06-2008, 18:53
Now let's see if they get a friendlier trail personality.Let's hope. Right now, it looks like they have all the personality of a box of dryer lint. :eek::D I wonder if any WB'ers thru-hiking have run into them yet. It'll be interesting to see if they get a "dishonorable mention" in anyone's TJ.

The Weasel
03-06-2008, 18:56
Decaf for you for the rest of the day.

Just covering for Jack.

TW

Hooch
03-06-2008, 18:58
They've already been dissed a few times on their guest book. I'd not condone folks doing something like that, but I sure understand why. If anyone deserves it, they do. :rolleyes:

The Weasel
03-06-2008, 19:00
can we have a repost of where to read this wonderful journal?

Tin Man
03-06-2008, 19:05
Just covering for Jack.

TW

I thought about doing the same, but I think everyone already has WD's number. I am beginning to think he deserves a little more slack then we give him at times.

Anyway, I think this thread is saying a few things:

1. The AT is not a wildnerness trail. :cool:
2. You can stick to the woods with minimal town stops. :cool:
3. You can make regular town stops. :cool:
4. You can hike supported and never sleep on the AT. :cool:
5. Hiking the AT is cool. :cool:
6. HYOH is an elusive concept to most. :(

HikerRanky
03-06-2008, 19:09

Skidsteer
03-06-2008, 19:10

The Weasel
03-06-2008, 19:11
As I reflect on what happened, and what I wrote, while I wish these people had been a bit more charitable, they are - as we all once were - newbies. It's getting too harsh here when there is so much snide attacking, about them making mistakes, sex, equipment and more. This isn't "The Truman Show," folks, and if we don't let up, we'll bear some of the responsiblity for them quitting, and share none of the glory if they succeed, as I hope they do.

Let's let this one die. Wish them well, soft trails and good luck.

The Weasel

Ron Haven
03-06-2008, 19:12
I really look forward to hiker season because all in all they are some of the greatest people on earth.

emerald
03-06-2008, 19:32
Let's let this one die. Wish them well, soft trails and good luck.

The Weasel

The Weasel, they chose to post. They deserve every bit as much crap as Gatorgump got. I've said all I choose to waste my time on and I won't be reading their journal. I've already found the only journal I care to read and its authors will make it all the way. I have every expectation I will see them in Pennsylvania and they won't bring anything but accolades upon themselves.

Frosty
03-06-2008, 19:37
Just covering for Jack.

TWAh, gotcha. Nice to back up a friend.

emerald
03-06-2008, 19:37
I thought about doing the same, but I think everyone already has WD's number. I am beginning to think he deserves a little more slack then we give him at times.

HYOH doesn't entitle hikers to act like idiots or require everyone else to accept their idiocy.

Hooch
03-06-2008, 19:39
HYOH doesn't entitle hikers to act like idiots or require everyone else to accept their idiocy.True, there is no jackass clause in the HYOH agreement. :D

Almost There
03-06-2008, 19:41
Here was the ball bags for 2007 :D I had a full load on the bus my first run from Budget Inn.I went for them at another motel on my 2nd trip.And not only was these two bad mouthing my business but they were bad mouthing their fellow hikers on the bus in which stayed at my motel.

By the way two of the fellow hikers he was making bad remarks about summited Katahdin.These stool pigeons made it to the Smokies I think.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=171030

These guys might be even bigger turds!;)

The Weasel
03-06-2008, 19:45
I have to say, while I understand and even agree with Ron's irritation, it seems a bit overblown. Ron, you must have quite a few guests (at least I hope so!) each night, most of whom are no problem and many of whom are wonderful. But these can't be the first people who were irritating, and their criticisms, while a bit whiny, aren't that damaging to you. It's time to let these people go, and let them learn the rhythms of Appalachia a little more, before we treat them like Satan's Spawn.

TW

GGS2
03-06-2008, 19:48

About half of the world lives on this stuff as staple foods. Talking about India and the rest of Asia, parts of Europe, South America, etc. All over India, the staple food is kichuri, or a mix of lentils and rice. Kinda like beans and rice in Mexico. Or down south of Amurica.

emerald
03-06-2008, 19:58
I gained weight hiking from Georgia to Maine on rice and lentils and whatever else I happened to have to add to it. I wasn't the 1st. It's better than stone soup and easier on the choppers.;)

Carrying the fuel to cook it made me strong if not big. Now if I were to hike that hike again, I'd cook them at home beforehand and burn some of those combustibles along the AT to reheat them. Wildfires are bad news.:(

Matteroo
03-06-2008, 19:58
Gatorgump didn't bad mouth any businesses or individuals..

I'd personally say cut them an inch due to being in the dual and odd position of arrogant newbies. Its one thing to be arrogant and another to be green, but when you play the two together..
I don't condone their behavior towards Ron, but some of you are being really hurtful about things unrelated/how they look/how they sound--some serious stone throwing.

if I was judged today by the way I behaved in my first few romantic relationships 8-10 years ago... Bucket certainly wouldn't be with me today.

everyone does bone head stuff in their own ways in life, give people a chance to learn from it-you can write them off after repeated boneheadisms without change.

Ron Haven
03-06-2008, 20:01
I have to say, while I understand and even agree with Ron's irritation, it seems a bit overblown. Ron, you must have quite a few guests (at least I hope so!) each night, most of whom are no problem and many of whom are wonderful. But these can't be the first people who were irritating, and their criticisms, while a bit whiny, aren't that damaging to you. It's time to let these people go, and let them learn the rhythms of Appalachia a little more, before we treat them like Satan's Spawn.

TWWeazel you are right.I have 500 great hikers stop by to every one cryer.

emerald
03-06-2008, 20:03
Gatorgump didn't bad mouth any businesses or individuals.

You're right, he just thought it was cool to not compensate them for services rendered.;)

whitefoot_hp
03-06-2008, 20:08
I heard that Ron Haven guy is a scam artist .... :)

Skidsteer
03-06-2008, 20:21

TW

...I'd personally say cut them an inch due to being in the dual and odd position of arrogant newbies. Its one thing to be arrogant and another to be green, but when you play the two together..
I don't condone their behavior towards Ron, but some of you are being really hurtful about things unrelated/how they look/how they sound--some serious stone throwing.

They chose the battleground and weapons when they blabbed it on the world wide web. Their choice.

They have, by my count, eight educational comments so far in their guest book. Seems to me that folks have been remarkably tolerant and restrained in their criticism.

They may yet see the light and walk with gratitude instead of entitlement. If they do it may be due in part to the fact that someone cared enough to tell them they are behaving like spoiled brats.

Ed Bell said it best, "Ain't scrutiny a bitch"?

Programbo
03-06-2008, 20:23
"We couldn't scramble to get everything packed in just minutes, so we are now stuck in town until mid day."

I don`t know...Sounds kinda early in a trip to be already heading into towns to spend the night :-?

whitefoot_hp
03-06-2008, 20:25
i can't tell whats more laughable. these weenies everyone is analyzing, or all of the nerds who feel like nine pages worth of criticism means a crap to anyone.

i think you all are just butthurt that you aren't out on the trail.

beeman
03-06-2008, 20:26
This year's minnesota smith? And there's TWO of them? What a treat.
HAHAHAHAHA I met him! in North VA. SNP. What a piece of work!!!! As for the two whiners, give em some cheese!

Frosty
03-06-2008, 20:30
Gatorgump didn't bad mouth any businesses..No, he was happily gleeful as he bragged about ripping them off, trashing the place, and skipping out.

if I was judged today by the way I behaved in my first few romantic relationships 8-10 years ago....But would it have been fair to judge you ten years ago by the way you acted then? If you were a dick back then, then you were a dick back then.

Are you saying that current bad behavior is to be condoned because in ten years the people might act differently?

slow
03-06-2008, 20:32
Ya' know Blake maybe they attach to the poles so you don't drop them like the old straps my mom used to use so I wouldn't lose my mittens!

BTW, I'm curious if he is as big a whiner as she is...she's the one writing the journal. Every once in awhile you come across a dude who just looks miserable and never smiles, and usually he's walking dejectedly a step or two behind his yammering, nagging wife. Perhaps the life has been sucked out of him, and hiking the AT with her is his Bataan Death March.

Then again it's possible, very possible that he is as insufferable as she is!

I'D look dejecked to if i had a 50 lb pack and pull the ball n chain for 2000 miles.:D

whitefoot_hp
03-06-2008, 20:36
yeah, damn those hikers! i hope they fail!!! who do they think they are, out there on that trail?

emerald
03-06-2008, 20:37
i can't tell whats more laughable. these weenies everyone is analyzing, or all of the nerds who feel like nine pages worth of criticism means a crap to anyone.

I live less than 30 minutes away. I would be there now, were it my desire. Maybe you might inform us of your motive for posting.:rolleyes:

Blissful
03-06-2008, 20:40
I really look forward to hiker season because all in all they are some of the greatest people on earth.

Ron, thanks for ALL you do for hikers. A true trail angel. I rode the "bus" last year where you took us everywhere, and you patiently waited while we were all at the outfitters, grocery store and everything doing our own thing. And loved the motel we were in. It was great. Hope to be back in a few years. :)

whitefoot_hp
03-06-2008, 20:41
I live less than 30 minutes away. I would be there now, were it my desire. Maybe you might inform us of your motive for posting.:rolleyes:
to call into the question the self righteous. any more questions?

Almost There
03-06-2008, 20:42
Funny MS story...hiking in Virginia summer of 2006 we stop for a break at Priest shelter and grab the trail register, looking through it saw a two page post by MS waxing moronic about all things trail...according to him.:eek: Then I turned the page and laughed my butt off as I read the account of two section hiking brothers who had the privledge of sharing the shelter all night alone with MS...I think the nicest term they used was insufferable Azz as they went on about what a genius this guy thought he was....knowing MS from here, Magic Thumb thought I had lost my mind as I was laughing so hard tears were in my eyes reading these guys account and their warning to others about spending the night with MS! It was priceless! MS is truly an original.:D

Ron Haven
03-06-2008, 20:43
I have a dream of about five years from now selling a part of my business but not my motels.Then thru hiking myself.:-?

Matteroo
03-06-2008, 20:43
I'm saying, if you're perfect, judge them for their imperfections.

You certainly could have judged me for being a dick at age 19, but then again you could also say "well, he hasn't had nearly any experience with relationships.. makes sense he might behave that way instead of dealing with things in a more mature way..hopefully he will learn"

similar goes with these folks, on a different scale, different situation. If they have chronic asshat syndrome things will go the way they will for them-but at this point things seem a bit myopic. thats my opinion, and you could jump onto trashing me all you want based upon it.

I guess I missed the gatorgump trashing a business thing. I was hiking from the start of May onward.. ..Just saw a picture of him at The Free State in mid-june 07. Guess he was welcome there, at that time. If you can provide clarification, fantastic, I thought the only hoopla was his tooter on the plaque-which i didn't give second thought to until people blew up-then i loved watching people react, that was priceless.

whitefoot_hp
03-06-2008, 20:44
sounds like a good dream, ron.

Blissful
03-06-2008, 20:44

I know I am...I was out on the trail yesterday and wanted to go back today. But had work to do and other stuff...sigh.

(Still dealing with Springer Fever)

emerald
03-06-2008, 20:45
to call into the question the self righteous. any more questions?

Yes, have you hiked from Georgia to Maine or vice-versa? I have and I have the patch to prove it. I gave back and then some too. What have you done?

Matteroo
03-06-2008, 20:45
yeah, i majorly wish i was on the trail right now.. weekend hikes help but they bring me back to being on the trail..

whitefoot_hp
03-06-2008, 20:46
I know I am...I was out on the trail yesterday and wanted to go back today. But had work to do and other stuff...sigh.

(Still dealing with Springer Fever)
i am going to do GA over my spring break, starting on st patties day.

Tin Man
03-06-2008, 20:48

HYOH doesn't entitle hikers to act like idiots or require everyone else to accept their idiocy.

Oops, I meant this comment for the thread Thru hikers who seem to dislike hiking

And I agree with you.

whitefoot_hp
03-06-2008, 20:48
Yes, have you hiked from Georgia to Maine or vice-versa? I have and I have the patch to prove it. I gave back and then some too. What have you done?
well, one day if i see you with your shiny patch, i will drop to the ground and worship you, oh mighty one, and take you to lunch, at say, taco bell, you know somewhere nice.

i have not hiked from Ga-Me or vice versa, and do not feel in any way ashamed to tell you, nor do i see the relevance. I guess, if i have to give you some form of resume to make myself worthy of speaking here in your eyes, i will. I have worked on the Justus Creek relo down here in GA. am i now worthy to speak?

or do i have to walk ga-me in order to question why a bunch of hikers would direct such ill will towards a few newbies, however laughable and pansy, over a simple complaint about a stay at ron's?

emerald
03-06-2008, 20:57
well, one day if i see you with your shiny patch, i will drop to the ground and worship you, oh mighty one, and take you to lunch, at say, taco bell, you know somewhere nice.

i have not hiked from Ga-Me or vice versa, and do not feel in any way ashamed to tell you, nor do i see the relevance. I guess, if i have to give you some form of resume to make myself worthy of speaking here in your eyes, i will. I have worked on the Justus Creek relo down here in GA. am i now worthy to speak?

or do i have to walk ga-me in order to question why a bunch of hikers would direct such ill will towards a few newbies, however laughable and pansy, over a simple complaint about a stay at ron's?

You likely will never meet me. If you do, I will be wearing no patch and I hate snivelling as much as sucking up. I don't care for Taco Bell.

I am indeed pleased to learn you have helped to maintain the AT.:) You have demonstrated in some ways your worth.;)

Jim Adams
03-06-2008, 20:59

...hell, there are cheeseburgers out there that start with 2!!!!!!:D

geek

whitefoot_hp
03-06-2008, 20:59
You likely will never meet me. If you do, I will be wearing no patch and I hate snivelling as well as sucking up. I don't care for Taco Bell.

I am indeed pleased to learn you have helped to maintain the AT.:) You have demonstrated in some ways your worth.;)

yeah, i don't show my face north of the mason dixon line much, i have heard stories. I'd be much more secure flip-flopping the southern half of the AT than going into Yankee country, i have heard of the carpetbaggers up there.

Almost There
03-06-2008, 21:00
You want the thru hiker rocker...go buy it at Mtn Crossings, think it's under $5.

Ron Haven
03-06-2008, 21:01
I section and weekend a lot but,it's not the same.

sounds like a good dream, ron.

emerald
03-06-2008, 21:12
yeah, i don't show my face north of the mason dixon line much, i have heard stories. I'd be much more secure flip-flopping the southern half of the AT than going into Yankee country, i have heard of the carpetbaggers up there.

You have obviously heard a great deal of garbage about Yankees. You need to get over it. Keep it up, I might taunt you into hiking here and greet you upon your arrival, but I am not yet convinced you are worth my time.;)

Tin Man
03-06-2008, 21:15
You have obviously heard a great deal of garbage about Yankees. You need to get over it. Keep it up, I might taunt you into hiking here and greet you upon your arrival, but I am not yet convinced you are worth my time.;)

When my father retired and my parents moved from CT to Virginia, my Uncle (who lives in PA) started calling him Bubba. :)

Appalachian Tater
03-06-2008, 21:20
Carpetbaggers are Yankees in the south, not the north. Yankees are funny. They think all southerners sound alike and are from whatever state their cousin moved to.

emerald
03-06-2008, 21:26
Carpetbaggers are Yankees in the south, not the north. Yankees are funny. They think all southerners sound alike and are from whatever state their cousin moved to.

That's actually part of what makes hiking the AT cool, experiencing some of what remains of the cultural variation especially with respect to how many different ways English can be spoken.:)

Skidsteer
03-06-2008, 21:29

An explanation of Southern Accents (http://www.rhapsody.com/goto?rcid=tra.13662996&variant=play).

You'll need to download the Rhapsody player. Worth it. :D

Ron Haven
03-06-2008, 21:31
Carpetbaggers are Yankees in the south, not the north. Yankees are funny. They think all southerners sound alike and are from whatever state their cousin moved to.What does the term carpet baggers mean?

GGS2
03-06-2008, 21:35

You mean that's not true? I hear there's a guy in Damascus that sounds like a Yankee. Or worse. Don't have any cousins south of Philly. Anyway, the last relative I ever knew about there was over a century gone.

The thing I wonder is why all this palaver about nothing? It was a pretty funny thread about some clueless people who were acting stupid. Harmless but stupid. And now its a big deal about who has the right to say this or that. Seems to me Ron was just having a little fun with the city folks.

TOW
03-06-2008, 21:36
Check this gal out. She seems to be getting more confident, but has a couple of entries on the trail (first couple of days) that indicate she may be wavering.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=217498
that is so cool, gonna have to keep up with her journal...........

Dances with Mice
03-06-2008, 21:39

or do i have to walk ga-me in order to question why a bunch of hikers would direct such ill will towards a few newbies, however laughable and pansy, over a simple complaint about a stay at ron's?Sounds self-righteous.

troglobil
03-06-2008, 21:42
What does the term carpet baggers mean?
has do to with some folks who came south after the Civil War. They carried suitcases made of carpet material. Not sure what they did down here

Tin Man
03-06-2008, 21:44
has do to with some folks who came south after the Civil War. They carried suitcases made of carpet material. Not sure what they did down here

They took over, or at least tried to. Sort of like Billary moving north as a reverse carpetbagger.

mudhead
03-06-2008, 21:45

I heard Yankee fans eat their young.

Go Sox!

emerald
03-06-2008, 21:46
Seems to me Ron was just having a little fun with the city folks.

Some of us still are. Ron, did you fix them up with some ramps?:D

Almost There
03-06-2008, 21:47
I ain't no carpetbagger, I'm a "Damn Yankee!!!":D

http://dan.friml.com/cds/Images/233.jpg

Appalachian Tater
03-06-2008, 21:49
What does the term carpet baggers mean?

car·pet·bag·ger (kär'pĭt-bāg'ər)
n.
1. A Northerner who went to the South after the Civil War for political or financial advantage.
2. An outsider, especially a politician, who presumptuously seeks a position or success in a new locality.Without turning this into a political thread, Hillary is a reverse carpetbagger.

http://lsm.crt.state.la.us/cabildo/cab11g.gif

TOW
03-06-2008, 21:51
Well I'm just a Jayhawking Show Me boy being a wannabe Appalachian Hillbilly,,,,,,,,,,,

Bare Bear
03-06-2008, 21:54
It is about time that the truth about that dang Ron Haven got out! I remember when I came thru and my crappy but expensive NorthFace boots were falling apart after 75 whole miles. Ron had Crutch drive me to the outfitters and had the NERVE to have a can on the dash for gas money.....Then when I had to go back because the ones I got were too tight for my new feet he had Crutch take me again and wait the two hours it took, and gave me a decent room for two nights cheap. And took us to the buffet and then we went bowling. Wore me out when I needed to be resting for that AT! It is a miracle I got out of town what with all that help Ron gave me. Of course the best was just talking hiking to Ron and Crutch....and I say again thank you guys. I hope to pass your way again. Any whining pup can cry, men suck it up and go on.

TOW
03-06-2008, 21:56
Well by golly pal I ain't everybody! I'm The Only Wanderer and it's best that you and "everybody" else learns it real fast. Don't make me think about lobbing a water baloon on your arse this TD's...............

TOW
03-06-2008, 21:58
It is about time that the truth about that dang Ron Haven got out! I remember when I came thru and my crappy but expensive NorthFace boots were falling apart after 75 whole miles. Ron had Crutch drive me to the outfitters and had the NERVE to have a can on the dash for gas money.....Then when I had to go back because the ones I got were too tight for my new feet he had Crutch take me again and wait the two hours it took, and gave me a decent room for two nights cheap. And took us to the buffet and then we went bowling. Wore me out when I needed to be resting for that AT! It is a miracle I got out of town what with all that help Ron gave me. Of course the best was just talking hiking to Ron and Crutch....and I say again thank you guys. I hope to pass your way again. Any whining pup can cry, men suck it up and go on.
Oh horse phooey, you expect us to believe all that?

TOW
03-06-2008, 22:01
Oh horse phooey, you expect us to believe all that?
oh i forgot to add...................:D:banana

Programbo
03-06-2008, 22:07

I think most of the responses are directed to someone who wasn`t out on the trail either..I believe it was all about complaining about lumpy beds and bad food in a motel or hostel or something

Frosty
03-06-2008, 22:10
to call into the question the self righteous. any more questions?A little young at 22 to determine righteousness, are you?

But if you have the time and energy, why not take a hard look at the self-righteous goober who wrote Post # 183. He needs a lot of help.

fiddlehead
03-06-2008, 22:15
Well, i couldn't read through this whole thread, but it does remind me of something that happened to me in '95 (i think that was the year?)
I hiked into Rainbow Springs and said hello to 4 hikers on the porch and then went inside and bought a microwave cheeseburger and got the lowdown on the bunkhouse, laundry, lack of beer, etc that was available.
Went back out on the porch and got to talking with these guys who said they were waiting for a taxi they had called to come and take them to Franklin where there were: AYCE restaurants, beer, cheap hotels, PO, Supermarkets, etc. ALL for the same price as staying at RS.
It was pretty much a no-brainer as i was thirsty for one thing. We went in town and spent the night, had a great time and came back and hiked out.

found out for the next few weeks that the word had spread up and down the trail that we were being badmouthed FIERCELY for what we did. Seems Buddy and Ginsene didn't approve of that at all. It's all they talked about for weeks we heard. People looked at us with hate and bad vibes.

I'm not defending the folks here that are getting badmouthed but you haven't been in their shoes. Whining is being done on both sides and whining sucks! ***** happens. Get over it. Many of you have been judge, jury and hangman in a situation that you weren't even there to see or hear the other side of the story.
Anyway, that's my take on the story.

By the way, one of the guys i met on the porch that day in '95 is my best friend to this day! We've hiked, and travelled worldwide many many times since then. He's taught me tons about desert hiking and most importantly, to keep an open mind!

Lone Wolf
03-06-2008, 22:15

dillweed....

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 22:38

On both of those, SOG.

I still think that the top question a thruhike-attempter will get asked afterwards will be "did you finish?".

emerald
03-06-2008, 22:48
I still think that the top question a thruhike-attempter will get asked afterwards will be "did you finish?".

Not everyone thinks finishing is important. We will see what the individuals who are the subject of this thread accomplish. They may be better people with more resolve than they appear to be presently.

RITBlake
03-06-2008, 23:16
jesus this thread has legs!

some 5,000 views in a day or so.

and the votes are in:

whitefoot_hp wins the big tool award

minnesotasmith
03-06-2008, 23:20
Not everyone thinks finishing is important.

My perception on nonfinishers getting what they hit the Trail for is that nonhikers will generally not understand this. They would see it as analogous to not "graduating" from a school, where dropping out is about the same as never having gone at all.

Skidsteer
03-06-2008, 23:22
My perception on nonfinishers getting what they hit the Trail for is that nonhikers will generally not understand this. They would see it as analogous to not "graduating" from a school, where dropping out is about the same as never having gone at all.

So it comes down to who you are trying to impress? :-?

fiddlehead
03-06-2008, 23:35

This reminds me of my "honorable discharge" They always threatened me with the "dishonorable" one if i didn't do what they always wanted. Never have i been asked to see it since 1972 when i got it.

I question your reasons for being out there MS. I don't know you but have heard a lot, which i know is baloney usually but this statement is pathetic.

I had just as much fun on my section and half-trail hikes than i did on my thru's. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It just never occured to me that some should be less important than others.

TOW
03-06-2008, 23:39
My perception on nonfinishers getting what they hit the Trail for is that nonhikers will generally not understand this. They would see it as analogous to not "graduating" from a school, where dropping out is about the same as never having gone at all.Not everyone who is out there is out there to hike a thru hike completely without stopping and smelling the roses along the way. I think that is something you missed out on.

Why don't you come on back out on the trail and take few scenic routes off of the beaten path and take your time getting to Kathadin.

Being a thru hiker to me ain't squat compared to all of the section hikers I have met. In fact it seems that section hikers got a more relaxed attitude which I think is very important.

As usual you are coming across as your poop don't stink because your Minnesota Smith the great Thru-Hiker. Horse phooey!

Dances with Mice
03-06-2008, 23:45
(To MS) ... take your time getting to Kathadin. Very funny.

Skidsteer
03-06-2008, 23:46
Tears in my eyes funny.

emerald
03-06-2008, 23:50
Being a thru hiker to me ain't squat

I'm glad to have experienced that accomplishment, but it's something many others have done. The luster fades as time goes by and greater accomplishments are achieved.

ed bell
03-06-2008, 23:55
Very funny.

Tears in my eyes funny.I did a triple take on that sentence. I'm still chuckling.

Survivor Dave
03-06-2008, 23:55
I can hear it now from Baldthing and her hubby....

"Hey honey, Let's go to this place called Rustys...."

Don't get me started!:D:D:D:D

Now that's funny right there! .....Larry the Cable Guy

Almost There
03-07-2008, 00:05

Ya know this statement is like my saying that people who play pickup football, basketball, baseball, etc. can't get as much out of it as those who play professionally, because you didn't take it as seriously, who determines the seriousness with which some have taken it.

MS just because you lived in your mom's basement and had the time to take a year to hike NOBO, doesn't make you hiker cum laude.:rolleyes:

Many of us don't see it as something that we have to do but something that we want to do...for "us". We hike for the pure enjoyment of the trail and the great people we meet along the way, if we only section or only thru, who gives a krap, it's how you treat the trail and the people you meet along the way that counts

I have a wife that loves me and that after almost 9 years I am still crazy about, to me that is worth more than any stupid patch or thru hike, but hey if the thru hike makes you happier then have at it buddy!:eek: But dont' tell those who don't finish or don't attempt that they are somehow less tough.

If you ever wanna challenge me on tough...I'll meet you at the top of Katahdin and throw your butt off of it!:D

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 00:38
any stupid patch The patches only cost 42 cents for the postage to mail in the application, if I remember correctly; they give them to anyone who fills out the form. More people who didn't hike the whole trail but lied and said they did probably have one than those who did really hike the whole thing. I guess I just don't "get" the whole patch thing.

Tin Man
03-07-2008, 00:41
The patches only cost 42 cents for the postage to mail in the application, if I remember correctly; they give them to anyone who fills out the form. More people who didn't hike the whole trail but lied and said they did probably have one than those who did really hike the whole thing. I guess I just don't "get" the whole patch thing.

Guess you ain't a boy scout.

minnesotasmith
03-07-2008, 00:42
May not care for what I said, but my point still stands unrefuted. Non LD-hikers WILL in my experience commonly ask very early on in a conversation about a thruhike attempt if you finished, and will conclude in most cases you didn't get everything out of it that you could have if you didn't finish.

As evidence for this, think of how Bryson is routinely hooted at here for only having done 1/3 or less of the trail, and never having stayed one night in a hiker hostel. Same for how Warren Doyle gets it for only slackpacking on the AT, sleeping in a vehicle the bulk of the time instead of in the outdoors (aside from all his stealing that he's proud of).

Robert Rubin IMO put it well when he said that thruhike finishers seemed to more of the time have found what they were looking for on the AT than those that bailed. I'll buy that.

Oh, and the mods don't look kindly on threatening physical violence, FYI (at least when done to forum members not on the "outs" WRT forum politics).

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 00:50
Non LD-hikers WILL in my experience commonly ask very early on in a conversation about a thruhike attempt if you finished, and will conclude in most cases you didn't get everything out of it that you could have if you didn't finish.
How would it come up in the conversation unless the hiker brought it up and why should a hiker care what someone else thinks about his hike?

minnesotasmith
03-07-2008, 00:56
How would it come up in the conversation unless the hiker brought it up and why should a hiker care what someone else thinks about his hike?

1) The nonthruhiker will bring it up in short order in many or most cases.

2) Why should any person care what any other person thinks about anything, especially someone they're close to?

STEVEM
03-07-2008, 01:00
I plan to reserve judgement for now, remembering that Gatorgump actually turned out to be a likeable guy. This guy does, however, remind me a little bit on Kung Fu.

http://www.texansforchrispotter.com/TheGallery/KF_TLC/Caine/caine19.jpg

http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/6834/tj6834%5F021208%5F200132%5F294846.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:history.go(-1))

Almost There
03-07-2008, 01:01
May not care for what I said, but my point still stands unrefuted. Non LD-hikers WILL in my experience commonly ask very early on in a conversation about a thruhike attempt if you finished, and will conclude in most cases you didn't get everything out of it that you could have if you didn't finish.

As evidence for this, think of how Bryson is routinely hooted at here for only having done 1/3 or less of the trail, and never having stayed one night in a hiker hostel. Same for how Warren Doyle gets it for only slackpacking on the AT, sleeping in a vehicle the bulk of the time instead of in the outdoors (aside from all his stealing that he's proud of).

Robert Rubin IMO put it well when he said that thruhike finishers seemed to more of the time have found what they were looking for on the AT than those that bailed. I'll buy that.

Oh, and the mods don't look kindly on threatening physical violence, FYI (at least when done to forum members not on the "outs" WRT forum politics).

Um...anyone who knows me knows that the seriousness of me bringing violence down on you would be like me challenging one of my freshman football players to a fight....in other words the thought is ridiculous, hence the smilie.:rolleyes: As for your post well let's analyze it:

May not care for what I said, but my point still stands unrefuted. Non LD-hikers WILL in my experience commonly ask very early on in a conversation about a thruhike attempt if you finished, and will conclude in most cases you didn't get everything out of it that you could have if you didn't finish. Why do you care what Non LD hikers think, are you hiking for yourself or them? Quite often the question doesn't ever come up with me, I've had some people assume I've done a thru, but correct them when it comes up, if it's an issue with someone, their problem, not mine. I hike for me, not them.

As evidence for this, think of how Bryson is routinely hooted at here for only having done 1/3 or less of the trail, and never having stayed one night in a hiker hostel. Same for how Warren Doyle gets it for only slackpacking on the AT, sleeping in a vehicle the bulk of the time instead of in the outdoors (aside from all his stealing that he's proud of). Bryson is hooted on here because many feel that he maligned trailfolk and belittled many hikers and many southerners. He made many appear to be a rube. It actually has very little to do with the fact that he didn't go all the way. As for Warren, the issues are that Warren often seems to many to think he is the "be all, end all" of the "way" to hike the trail. Many actually don't have a problem with him, it's actually only a few of us that have gone after him, and even some of us that have it has only been on a few issues. As for his slacks, many also recognize all the good he has done for the AT, and the fact that he "has" done an unsupported hike in his past. This is a very weak argument.

Robert Rubin IMO put it well when he said that thruhike finishers seemed to more of the time have found what they were looking for on the AT than those that bailed. I'll buy that. That's exactly it...it's "your" opinion, you have no way of knowing if someone has found what they were looking for or not. That's like when someone who isn't married comments on somone who's been married for years' marriage, he has no clue, and should just keep his pie hole shut. I know for many of us that have been around hiking for several years at least and have't thru-hiked that I don't really think I'd be looking for anything in particular other than I want to do it...no mystical journey here, just a chance to get out and do it. You make it a deeper thing than it has to be.

Oh, and the mods don't look kindly on threatening physical violence, FYI (at least when done to forum members not on the "outs" WRT forum politics). Your a funny little man, trust me, you aren't worth the time or effort to get physical with, but you earn points for making me laugh!:D

RITBlake
03-07-2008, 01:01
MS just because you lived in your mom's basement and had the time to take a year to hike NOBO, doesn't make you hiker cum laude.:rolleyes:

GOLD. Now this is the smartest thing said on WB today.

MS carries a dark cloud around him and thinks his $het don't stink