PDA

View Full Version : Spices?

bupton
03-05-2008, 17:11
I'm putting together a spice kit and looking for what others found tasty or useful. Salt and pepper, sure, but is garlic powder too much or just enough?

HUNTHIKELIFT
03-05-2008, 17:18
I bought one of these 3 years ago and it is awesome! Can't go wrong with this.

Six spices in one shaker; black pepper, salt, paprika, curry, cayenne pepper and garlic salt. Each compartment has snap-down lid. Wt. 5.25 oz. Made in USA.
https://www.campmor.com/images/8A00/80944.jpg

https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?krypto=J4RGVCOx1NUYX9rrhIiCX5ZqSJbl kGtl%2BfSPu2v7s3h49dSXLGKP9w%3D%3D

Tipi Walter
03-05-2008, 17:36
I take a small thing of soy sauce and lately I found a good egg-less mayonnaise I put in small tubs to add as a condiment to my meals. Good with stir-fried broccoli.:)

HUNTHIKELIFT
03-05-2008, 17:43
I take a small thing of soy sauce and lately I found a good egg-less mayonnaise I put in small tubs to add as a condiment to my meals. Good with stir-fried broccoli.:)
I like to get chinese and save the ta-go packets of soy. I also like the packets of hot sauce. small and light. Just make sure to put inside a sandwich bag just incase one busts, but I never had this happen.

Passionphish
03-05-2008, 17:48
Somebody on Backpackinglight.com uses nutmeg, all spice, garlic, powdered onion, Thyme, paprika, etc. She uses very small ziploc bags, like 1 x 1 inch in a 2 x 6 snack size ziploc with great results!

I thought it was a great idea. Just haven't gotten around to trying it myself.

Tinker
03-05-2008, 18:10
Take whatever you like to use at home. Save up the mini bottles that hotel shampoo and conditioner come in and use them as containers.

Christopher Robin
03-05-2008, 18:29
Campmor also has spice jars w/out the spices, I also use the bottles that pills come in.

hobojoe
03-05-2008, 18:33
Jane's crazy mixed up salt available at many fine supermarkets. Also Bulk cheese powder, eewwwwww.

gumball
03-05-2008, 19:32
www.wildernessdining.com This website has some seasonings that are in small, plastic capsules. You get about twenty capsules per seasoning you order, and I don't remember that they were very expensive at all. I take a variety of capsules with me and just open and sprinkle on whatever I'm making. Tortilla wrap, tomato paste (from a tube) and some oregano sprinkles makes a great quick lunch snack.

Very light and compact way to take a good variety.

Appalachian Tater
03-05-2008, 19:42
I keep blends of spices in ziplocks but you can also use the little bags, you can get them at the hardware store or pharmacy.

One is a blend of different types of ground hot peppers, just add some of whatever is on hand, chipotle, cayenne, chili, whatever.

Then I take dehydrated onion and garlic and mix them together in about a 3:1 ratio. The flakes are better than the powder.

Mrs. Dash original blend adds a little color and flavor to a pot of ramen. You can also mix it in with the onion & garlic.

Salt is not really necessary; if anything, most of the stuff I eat on the trail has a little too much salt even during the summer. The few times when I have wanted something to be saltier, I have just added nuts or cracker crumbs.

Of course, packets of mayo, mustard, soy sauce, etc. are nice to have for certain dishes.

sarbar
03-05-2008, 20:01
Somebody on Backpackinglight.com uses nutmeg, all spice, garlic, powdered onion, Thyme, paprika, etc. She uses very small ziploc bags, like 1 x 1 inch in a 2 x 6 snack size ziploc with great results!

I thought it was a great idea. Just haven't gotten around to trying it myself.
That might have been me! I carry lots of choices :) I don't use a lot of salt so I have to get "oomph" elsewhere.
You can get the little bags in craft stores (and in Walmart) for the spices. I buy in bulk for home use, fresher and cheaper. I go through SO much at home!

sarbar
03-05-2008, 20:02
Also, while it isn't a spice....you can't go wrong with Parmesan cheese packets! They can help improve nearly any meal. Same with the red pepper flake packets.

Tennessee Viking
03-05-2008, 23:37
It all really depends on your palette and pack. If you either get a multi-shaker, baggie everything seperate, or make your own mixes. Main thing is keep everything dry. Spices and dry herbs out of package can go about a month before losing flavor.

Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Cayenne pepper (goes great with cocoa)
Chili Powder/Paparika
Oregano/Parsley/Italian Seasoning
Bullion cubes (Beef and Chicken)
Little travel bottles of tabasco.

Packets of (all easy to pick up packets at restaurants and gas stations for free, and should last about 6 months):
Salt
Pepper
Ketchup
Mustard
Mayo (if you go for that thing)
Soy
Powder or non-dairy Creamers
Relish
Sugar/Sweetener

I been experimenting with camping receipes at home. Just made a damn fine beef soup with beef bullion and pre-packaged jerky. Then some chili powder, cayenne, paparika, italian seasoning. I should have added some pasta.

Tennessee Viking
03-05-2008, 23:39
Also, while it isn't a spice....you can't go wrong with Parmesan cheese packets! They can help improve nearly any meal. Same with the red pepper flake packets.
Where is this Pizza Hut on trail...lol

aaroniguana
03-06-2008, 00:34
Salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne, garlic, cumin, garlic, Jamaican curry powder, garlic, dehydrated Irish cheddar, garlic, garlic and garlic.

Yup.

PS- Garlic powder is lighter than DEET. Keeps the scouts away too.

fiddlehead
03-06-2008, 00:36
fresh garlic, Indian curry powder, and lemon pepper as well as salt and pepper.
Hiked with many who carry tobasco.

skinny minnie
03-06-2008, 14:56
CINNAMON. I would be lost without it. Makes breakfast oatmeal, couscous, granola and coffee amazing. Nutmeg too.

I love sea salt and brown sugar too.

And I'd like to reiterate curry and whole garlic cloves. Also a mix of parsley, oregano, and basil. Thyme and rosemary are nice, too.

I just use baggies.

riverroyer
03-06-2008, 16:30
I make up my own spices with s-p-curry and mrs dash so i use less salt and then a dry herb mix, oil, balsamic and soy. I pack them into used-clean child resistant medication bottles which I have saved for years, works well, light weight and easy access, no fingers in the bag.

mweinstone
03-06-2008, 20:36
cinnomine
freash garlic
freash ginger
liquid vannila exstract
kombu or nori seaweed
tamarri
miso paste
cyanne pepper
honey

with these alone, i rule the spice world. when i cook, women cry. men dance. dogs slip. wars wait.
when i eat, crowds gather. dogs lather. woman want.
when i fart? nothin. pure as lillys. freash as daisys. near nutral. ph balenced. and my breath? like marshmallows and ginger snaps. and the foul stench of my rotting soul? kinda like trash truck swill.jebus save me!

desdemona
03-06-2008, 23:49
At Walgreens I found (I think 100 number) little teeny plastic ziplock bags. I use them for pills (the intended purpose) and to bring back samples. But they would be good for spices. They are perfect little bags and almost weightless.

--des

headchange4u
03-07-2008, 12:23
I like Paula Dean's House Seasoning (salt, pepper, and garlic) for a basic flavoring mix.

Hikes in Rain
03-08-2008, 09:19
This little beauty. When not hiking, it lives by the home stove, its so well made!

http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=73490!024

Tinker
03-08-2008, 16:24
Paula Dean's favorite seasoning is BUTTER!!!!:D

orangebug
03-08-2008, 16:49
I modify Paula Dean's house seasoning with cummin. It makes a good BBQ rub, also. I like to use large grain sea salt or Koscher salt.

Cherokee Bill
03-09-2008, 17:30
www.minimus.biz (http://www.minimus.biz)

Source of all the small quantities you'll need :p

russb
03-09-2008, 19:45
At Walgreens I found (I think 100 number) little teeny plastic ziplock bags. I use them for pills (the intended purpose) and to bring back samples. But they would be good for spices. They are perfect little bags and almost weightless.

--des

I found some of these at the dollar store. My guess is only backpackers and drug dealers buy them.

general
03-09-2008, 19:50
cavenders greek seasoning and ramps

Pacific Tortuga
03-09-2008, 20:12
Cholulu hot sauce in powder form, was the only condiment I brought and used. I shared and made believers of many, Jack Tarlin became a big fan and you know he's a great lover of spicy fare.

desdemona
03-10-2008, 00:00
I found some of these at the dollar store. My guess is only backpackers and drug dealers buy them.

LOL! I hadn't thought of that. :-)
Yes, I am no. 1 (or at have a "backpack" sort of).

--des

Farr Away
03-11-2008, 14:17
I think I saw this idea for carrying spices in another thread on WB, but ...

Take a straight drinking straw, and cut about an inch off each end. On one end of what's left, fold over about an inch of straw. Slip one of the pieces you cut off over this end. Put the other end in the spice you want to take; turn it over and tap it down; repeat as needed. Fold the open end over and close it with the other cut-off piece. Use a sharpie to write the name of the spice on the straw. Works great, but do carry these in a baggie to prevent spills.

budforester
03-11-2008, 14:28
I think I saw this idea for carrying spices in another thread on WB, but ...

Take a straight drinking straw, and cut about an inch off each end. On one end of what's left, fold over about an inch of straw. Slip one of the pieces you cut off over this end. Put the other end in the spice you want to take; turn it over and tap it down; repeat as needed. Fold the open end over and close it with the other cut-off piece. Use a sharpie to write the name of the spice on the straw. Works great, but do carry these in a baggie to prevent spills.

Heat- sealed ends also works for plastic soda straws; must be cut open, but it keeps contents in and moisture out.

The Weasel
03-11-2008, 14:30
If you're using much packaged food, you don't need salt.

TW

Heater
03-11-2008, 14:38
Cholulu hot sauce in powder form, was the only condiment I brought and used. I shared and made believers of many, Jack Tarlin became a big fan and you know he's a great lover of spicy fare.

I didn't know they made this. THANKS!

:sun

I also use a lot of Tony Chacere's Cajun seasoning.

There is a recipe for Emeral's seasoning mix out there. It's good too!

That and a little salt and pepper.

Strategic
03-11-2008, 14:52
www.minimus.biz (http://www.minimus.biz)

Source of all the small quantities you'll need :p

Minimus is fantastic, especially for those packets of things you really can't find for free. While I'd never buy ketchup, mayo or common things like that, these guys have packets of extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Tabasco (the real stuff), and other things you'd normally have to carry in a bottle. Really extends the flavor possibilities.

For spices, I also use the tiny-sized ziplock bags. You can also get these from craft suppliers or craft stores, since lots of people use them for organizing small parts and pieces used in many home crafts (beading, etc.) So I guess that makes a third use after drug dealers and backpackers. :D They come in several sizes, so I get ones that are about 2"x2" for the stuff I use a lot of and 1"x1" for the rest. They really do weigh almost nothing (my postal scale can't even register them individually.) They're also see-thru, which makes the "identify the spice" game much easier.

I carry a lot of spices like this, since like Sarbar I'm an dyed-in-the-wool cook. I'll generally take large bags of sea salt, pepper, cayenne, chili powder, granulated garlic (not garlic salt), oregano and thyme. Added to that I usually have small bags of cumin, coriander, cilantro, dill, sage, paprika, tarragon and cinnamon. With that array of spices you can really change up the flavors of almost anything.

sarbar
03-11-2008, 23:30
Balsamic vinegar is indeed an awesome thing to have along! It is SO good added to pasta sauce or drizzled on bread :D

Johnny Thunder
03-12-2008, 09:11
Dried Onion
Garlic Powder
Ginger Paste
Green Curry Powder
Chipotle Boulion
Soy Sauce
Hot Sauce
Lemon Juice
Vanilla
Coconut Cream Powder
Red Pepper Flakes
Paprika
Sesame Seeds

White Gravy Mix
Pesto Mix
Tomato Basil Mix

leeki pole
03-12-2008, 09:32
Nobody has said Tabasco sauce? That is a travesty.;)

Monkeyboy
03-12-2008, 17:14
Garlic is good for cooking, as well as for other medicinal purposes such as bringing a boil to a head, etc...

Ginger is also good for sore throats....

orangebug
03-12-2008, 21:56
Nobody has said Tabasco sauce? That is a travesty.;)It definitely is, when you could have brought Texas Pete.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 21:58
Nobody has said Tabasco sauce? That is a travesty.;)

both too mild. but tabasco has great flavor. neither hot enuf

budforester
03-13-2008, 20:57
both too mild. but tabasco has great flavor. neither hot enuf
McIlhennney has a new offering that would probably warm your gizzard; here's a link (http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco_tent/pepper_sauce/habanero_pepper_sauce.cfm).

desdemona
03-13-2008, 23:37
McIlhennney has a new offering that would probably warm your gizzard; here's a link (http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco_tent/pepper_sauce/habanero_pepper_sauce.cfm).

Yikes that gives me a worse case of acid reflux. (No fair that I live in NM and have this.)

--des

Wags
03-14-2008, 01:31
i 2nd the texas pete! my aunt uses some cajun seasoning (she lives in LA) and keeps telling me she'll send it to me (i love it when i go down there) but she keeps forgetting :(

greentick
03-14-2008, 04:05
Chipotle powder rocks

Cinnamon and ground red pepper go good in hot cocoa

desdemona
03-14-2008, 09:25
Chipotle powder rocks

Cinnamon and ground red pepper go good in hot cocoa

Yep it's Mexican, not really hot you know. I could drink that (acid reflux and all). Also you can use mild hot peppers in savory dishes (as well as chocolate powder).

--des

Heater
03-14-2008, 15:41
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/hotsauceworld_1981_77031027

Heater
03-14-2008, 15:42
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/hotsauceworld_1981_5584623

Mrpokey
02-12-2009, 21:40
Graduating culinary school, I love a real meal every fews days, so far I've been camping and made grilled chicken alfredo, roasted apples with carmel sauce, omelets, etc

The spices I carry are onion flakes, old bay, kosher salt, tobasco packets, course peppercorns, garlic powder (or a garlic clove/bulb), and cayenne powder.

All my special creations are made the day I leave a town, to minimize risk of food bourne illenesses. It's a welcome change to have fresh alfredo on the trail, and alfredo taste so great on about anything:sun

Tinker
02-12-2009, 22:44
:D
I'm putting together a spice kit and looking for what others found tasty or useful. Salt and pepper, sure, but is garlic powder too much or just enough?

Hot sauce - your choice. A little goes a long way. Garlic powder is a winner, too. In town pick up a fresh green pepper, onion, and some ground beef or turky and be the envy of your campmates (maybe a couple of eggs and bacon, too, but you might have to camp alone or get yogi'd to death) :D.

BigBlue
02-12-2009, 22:50
How about a small head of garlic, nothing like some fresh garlic to spice up a bland meal. Or am I the only one?

Tinker
02-12-2009, 22:54
You are absolutely not the first. Neither am I. Fresh garlic is heaven to a hungry hiker tired of bland starchy food.

Mrpokey
02-12-2009, 23:09
For simple fantastic garlic bread, get some bread and toast it then just rub a peeled garlic clove over it and eat, a real treat

sarbar
02-13-2009, 00:29
I carry a small assortment of spices and herbs with me - little zip top craft bags. Makes a meal when I need more flavor. To me salt is not seasoning.........

JAK
02-13-2009, 08:32
Paprika is good in soups and stuff, and great souce of vitamins A,C.
Nutmeg and cinamon and cloves are great for spicing up oatmeal, or tea.
Besides flavour, and vitamins, and minerals, spices hold their own in calories also.

Cinnamon = 2.5 kcal/g
Paprika = 2.9 kcal/g
Cloves = 3.2 kcal/g
Nutmeg = 5.2 kcal/g

Some like Nutmeg can give you a nice buzz also, but don't overdo it. ;)

Strategic
02-13-2009, 12:43
For simple fantastic garlic bread, get some bread and toast it then just rub a peeled garlic clove over it and eat, a real treat

Add an olive oil packet and a small tomato to that and you've got real bruschetta. Just rub the OO over the bread, toast, rub with the garlic clove, and then squish and rub the tomato over the bread too. It's beyond fantastic.

boarstone
02-13-2009, 12:46
I use an empty plastic spice jar, recycled. I mix my own spice concoction...right now it's a 5 spice mix, mixed by eye....pepper, garlic powder, paprika, sea salt, cayenne pepper.
1 container, small space, easy to find and manipulate w/one hand.

jrnj5k
02-13-2009, 14:23
I bring spike and put it on a lot of stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LKTNJS

boarstone
02-13-2009, 21:08
Oh!...for sweet spice for oatmeal and such...bring a premixed spice jar(plastic) of either premixed spice for apple or pumpkin pie spice..found in the cooking/spice section already mixed.

Dicentra
02-15-2009, 11:21
I don't bring much - most of my food is seasoned as I put it together.

salt, pepper and sugar packets.
Ms. Dash
lemon juice packets
True Lemon/lime/orange

HOWEVER, those little pill ziplocks that everyone is talking about? They ROCK. I've brought a small amount of unpopped popcorn in those too.

budforester
02-15-2009, 13:20
I don't bring much - most of my food is seasoned as I put it together.

salt, pepper and sugar packets.
Ms. Dash
lemon juice packets
True Lemon/lime/orange

HOWEVER, those little pill ziplocks that everyone is talking about? They ROCK. I've brought a small amount of unpopped popcorn in those too.

Dicentra's been posting more on WB. Dicentra is a friend of Sarbar; they both live in PNW and share an interest in trail foods. If you don't know already, a visit to Di's One Pan Wonder (http://www.onepanwonders.com/)site is worth your while.

Frick Frack
02-15-2009, 13:24
Tabasco! Or Frank's...whatever you can find. We started by transfering it to a little plastic container but eventually just put the whole bottle in our pack b/c we used so much.

Dicentra
02-15-2009, 15:09
Dicentra's been posting more on WB. Dicentra is a friend of Sarbar; they both live in PNW and share an interest in trail foods. If you don't know already, a visit to Di's One Pan Wonder (http://www.onepanwonders.com/)site is worth your while.

Awww... thanks for the mention. :)

Yup. Sarah and I hike and talk food together all the time. She's the only one who'd listen to my incessant blathering on about new food finds. :p

Do go visit the site. I have a book too, but there's also lots of free recipes and info on there.

buckwheat
02-15-2009, 20:44
There can be only one:

http://www.cajunspice.com/images/imageproductssml/seasoninglarge.jpg

Wags
02-15-2009, 22:03
nice buckwheat. that is my spice to end all spices as well. makes anything taste better

calculating infinity
02-18-2009, 15:55
everglades spice mix and hot sauce

mister krabs
02-18-2009, 17:08
butweet has it right. Tony's is king.
Also, chick-fil-a has texas pete in individual packages.

Pootz
02-18-2009, 17:11
Tabasco - never leave home without it. Also salt and pepper. Switched it up regularly when on my Thur hike but also had Tabasco

boarstone
02-18-2009, 17:13
those who still shoot or know of those who do still shoot--35mm film. those clear white plastic film canisters work pretty good for most anything as well as a spice mix or two..

Phreak
02-18-2009, 17:23
100% Habanero powder - a little amount will last a long time.