PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the Trail from Boston

speedy3as
03-05-2008, 23:55
I'm trying to get to the trail from Boston, hopefully not taking a car. I know Bonanaza bus stops near the trail, but I don't know where. Does anyone know?

rafe
03-06-2008, 00:06
I'm trying to get to the trail from Boston, hopefully not taking a car. I know Bonanaza bus stops near the trail, but I don't know where. Does anyone know?

You can take a bus to Great Barrington and hitch a bit south on Rte. 7. Or take the bus to Lee and hitch east a bit on Rte. 20. Or you can pick up the trail directly in Dalton, North Adams or Cheshire.

Sly
03-06-2008, 00:15
Where on the trail?

speedy3as
03-06-2008, 00:58
I'm looking to go somewhere in Massachusetts, preferably the shortest travel time.

Sly
03-06-2008, 01:00
I'm looking to go somewhere in Massachusetts, preferably the shortest travel time.

See post #2.

Tennessee Viking
03-06-2008, 03:07
Go west, can't miss it.

Peaks
03-06-2008, 09:45
It might be easier to get to the AT from Albany rather than Boston

burger
03-06-2008, 10:19
The only Bonanza bus service out of Great Barrington goes north-south (to NYC through Connecticut). So, to get there from Boston, you'll probably have to take a bus to Waterbury, CT, and another one to Great Barrington. Sounds like a long trip.

An easier option might be to take a bus to Williamstown, MA, Hanover, NH, or N. Woodstock/Lincoln, NH. I think those would all be straight shots without having to change buses.

Pokey2006
03-07-2008, 02:52
From what I remember, there's a daily bus to/from Williamstown. It's a direct line, maybe just one stop just outside Boston, so only a couple hours ride. Drops you at an inn in town, only a few miles from the trail. You could hike south over Greylock, or up into southern Vermont from there. Though I wonder if the bus line runs as often in the summer, when the college kids are gone??? You might want to check the schedule.

If you plan ahead, and contact "angels" in one of the towns around like Dalton or Bennington, you might be able to arrange an inexpensive shuttle ride back to Williamstown to take the bus home at the end of your hike. The town isn't hard to access by road from points north and south.

Rambler
03-13-2008, 22:38
You need to be a bit more specific about "getting to the trail from Boston".
A three hour bus ride from Boston will get you to the AT in the middle NH, (Mt. Moosilauke, Lincoln, NH) Vermont (just across the CT River from Hanover, NH), or MA.

If you want to start at the MA/VT line and hike south, take the bus to Williamstown and from the bus stop at the Inn you walk back through town and connect with a trail that will climb up to the AT near Vermont line. (The Pine Cobble Trail) and you have to hike north along the AT for 2 mi. or so to the MA border. (MA/VT line is 3.9 miles from route 2)
If you do not care about those 3.9 miles of the AT, you could start your hike where the AT crosses route 2, half way between North Adams (Adams) and Williamstown, about 2.5 miles from either town. The bus used to stop on the AT to let you off, but your best bet would be to get off the bus from Boston in North Adams, then take a local bus which runs between No. Adams and Williamstown. This mini-commuter bus will drop you off right on the trail.
The commuter buses connect Williamstown, North Adams, then south as far as Great Barrington, passing through trail towns of Dalton and Cheshire. Maximum fare is about $5 (The AT goes right through downtown Cheshire and Dalton and is any easy hitch 3 miles outside of Great Barrington Route 7 or So. Egremont) Call 800-292-2782 for commuter bus info.

BTW Would you like to hike a 53 mile AT section of NH? Hike between Kinsmans Notch (RT 112) at the base of Moosilauke (4802') and Hanover. It passes over some of the lesser but open NH summits, (Cube and Smarts) and through nice woodlands, bogs and fields. It has easy bus transportation to Boston at both ends. (Hanover and Lincoln)

rafe
03-13-2008, 22:45
Cosmo is a WB'er, a trail maintainer and known to be helpful to hikers. He's in Williamstown, MA. You can probably look him up and PM him.