PDA

View Full Version : Land Between the Lakes/Hitchhiking

Tilly
03-06-2008, 10:38
Just a quick question,

I will be hiking the North-South trail in Land Between the Lakes at the very end of March. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some input on the amount of traffic the Trace (the road that runs through the length of the park) receives, and if hitching back to my car when I'm done hiking is even viable. There doesn't seem to be any shuttle service around or any other way to hike the trail in it's length w/o hitching.

Any comments about the area or the trail would be appreciated! Thanks.

Bob S
03-06-2008, 14:40
My sister lives near there (Hopkinsville) and I always wanted to go camping in the area but never have yet. It’s some beautiful country.

wilderness monk
03-06-2008, 19:38
Try asking the South Ranger Station for a ride to North Ranger Station.
I too, will be hiking the North/South Trail 63 miles but not in March.

Good Luck, let me know what you find out.

excuses
03-06-2008, 21:35
There is steady traffic especially on weekends along the Trace. Sorry I'll be in Georgia hiking at that time. best of luck

excuses
03-06-2008, 21:38
Just in case you don't have the numbers and all http://www.lbl.org/Home.html

Bearpaw
03-06-2008, 23:42
There is a decent amount of traffic at times. That said, I did a hike-a-bike when I did the trail in 2002. I staged my bike at the north TH, drove to the south TH, hiked north for 3 3/4 days, then biked the Trace south that afternoon and the next day.

The South TH Ranger was closed in December. Call ahead to find out.

I did the Trail with my now-fiancee in December 2005. We used two vehicles.

As for hitching, even if there IS decent traffic, there is no guarantee that folks will necessarily stop for you. That's why I biked.

windigrrl
03-07-2008, 00:56
Tilly - when in March are you going? there's going to be a group of us doing the north-south trail in a couple of weeks. If the timing works, one of us might be able to help out. E-mail me.

spunky
03-07-2008, 09:35
If you finish on a weekend there will be more traffic. Are you hiking north? or south? There will be more people (bicyclers) at the north welcome station. Even though there are a lot of people who hike, people in that area aren't used to backpackers like they are near the AT so your chances of hitchhiking might be slim. Although, if you end at the north welcome station and start talking to day hikers or bikers, you might "yogi" a ride south.

There are some White Blazers who live in that area that might give you a shuttle. I remember someone offering shuttle service in the past. You might do a search.

Also, if you tell your start date there might be some White Blazers that would give you a shuttle and do a day hike.

Good Luck! A couple of us did the middle third of the trail a couple weeks ago. The south section was muddy and we've had a lot of rain recently. We were fortunate enough to see seven different bald eagles, deer, and a flock of wild turkeys. Have Fun!!!

Tilly
03-07-2008, 10:06
Well, I will be arriving on Saturday morning, March 29th. I was thinking about leaving my car at the N Welcome Station and trying to hitch that day
S, and hiking back to my car from there. I figured that there would be more traffic on Saturday than when I finish, during the week.

Jason of the Woods
03-07-2008, 11:24
I wouldn't do it but that's just me.;)

Jeepocachers
03-08-2008, 12:41
On a Saturday, there's lots of traffic. However, I don't know how likely you are to be picked up as a hitchhiker. I live 20 minutes from the North Welcome Station, and I'd be happy to help you if you need a lift, just PM me with a more definite time. Enjoy your hike.

The Solemates
03-09-2008, 02:01
I wouldnt rely of hitching along this trail. there wasnt all that much traffic along the route when we hiked the trail. we prearranged a shuttle beforehand and were thankful for it. thanks to lilred on wb!

Lilred
03-09-2008, 10:42
I wouldnt rely of hitching along this trail. there wasnt all that much traffic along the route when we hiked the trail. we prearranged a shuttle beforehand and were thankful for it. thanks to lilred on wb!

You're more than welcome Solemate, it was great meeting you. I'll be on a hike the weekend of this thread. Rain Man and I are doing Carver's Gap to Kincora. And Rain Man, notice the correct grammar......;)