PDA

View Full Version : Extra Boots?

-SEEKER-
03-06-2008, 11:37
If I make it from Ga to Me should I expect to need more than one pair of boots? If it makes any difference I'm 5'8" and currently weigh 128. In every day life I am not hard on shoes, but then again I don't wear them 12 hours a day 7 days a week.

jersey joe
03-06-2008, 11:45
Yes, you should expect to need more than one pair of boots. Depending on how durable the boot is, you COULD probably make it, but your feet will likely be better off if you get new ones somewhere along the way.

I made it all the way to Caratunk Maine with one pair of leather hiking boots. I was trying to stretch them to the end but the last 100-200 miles beat up my feet a bit to the point where I had to get new footwear.

redredrose
03-06-2008, 13:35
What I've been told, you'll spend about $500 on shoes. Less expensive (translate that more poorly constructed) more replacements; more expensive (translate that better construction) fewer replacements.

I've hiked many-a mile and can usually get about 500 miles+- out of a pair of boots, at 5'9, 145 pounds.

Good luck on your journey, take care of your feet.

Think Spring
03-06-2008, 13:57
If you really like your present boots, and they are of the more 'long lasting' type, consider purchasing a second pair just like the others, break them in REALLY well, and have them drop-shipped to you along the trail when you find a need for them. That's what I'm doing.:sun

Freeleo
03-06-2008, 14:10
cydie,

i thought you said you were doing the trail barefoot this time:p

Blissful
03-06-2008, 14:20
Cyndie, Your feet are likely to get bigger as you hike, so you might check to see if your size changes enroute before getting new boots for later on (I switched to trail runners mid hike and take a size 11 even though I normally take a 9 1/2 to 10).
I would also invest in a good pair of insoles that can be replaced frequently on the trail. The insoles that come with boots usually are not adequate.

HrlyDave
03-14-2008, 11:55
Hey Blissful,
Have your feet remained at the larger size, or have they shrunk back to normal ? Just curious.
Thanks,
HD

Thrasher
03-14-2008, 13:53
Cyndie, Your feet are likely to get bigger as you hike, so you might check to see if your size changes enroute before getting new boots for later on (I switched to trail runners mid hike and take a size 11 even though I normally take a 9 1/2 to 10).
I would also invest in a good pair of insoles that can be replaced frequently on the trail. The insoles that come with boots usually are not adequate.

I agree with getting good insoles. I just got a pair of superfeet when I bought my new shoes because they didn't feel right when I tried them on. The salesperson put some in my shoes and they made a difference for me. I think your shoes will probably last longer if you replace the insoles a few times also.
Just don't carry two pairs of boots with you! I saw a really nice guy on the Approach Trail March 2nd and he was carrying a pair of work boots that were hanging and swinging around on the back of his pack. They were tied on with the laces. I felt sorry for him, I hope he makes it to Maine.