PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Rocket Wind Screen

Neurosis
03-06-2008, 12:44
Ive decided to buy the MSR Pocket Rocket for my thru, but Ive read that there has been issues of wind screens causing the canister to overheat and to possibly explode! Not something Im looking forward to. I know its a popular stove so I didnt know if anyone had any reccomendations for a the windscreen the used for there pocket rocket or perhaps one that they made at home. Any help?

envirodiver
03-06-2008, 13:11
You DO NOT want to use an MSR white gas type windscreen that completely encloses the canister. The enclosure can cause the temperature of the canister to increase and possibly result in an explosion. Which I don't think would be fun.

You do need some sort of windscreen becasue I have found that wind negatively affects the performance a great deal.

Check out this thread. Lost in Space developed this simple windscreen.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16700&highlight=pocket+rocket+windscreen

Hooch
03-06-2008, 13:14
One can easily be fashioned from an aluminum over liner pan. Just get one, break out the scissors and have at it. To store, roll up in your mat if it's not an inflatable or fold and place in an outside pocket of your pack.

jhick
03-06-2008, 13:20
I have that same stove and love it. I personally never had wind issues, even completely in the open on a windy day near Lehigh Gap in the Superfund area. I either place my back to the wind and sit close to it as I cook, or I place it behind some rocks or logs. The only problem you'll have is, when the canister gets cold performance drops. If you put it inside your jacket a little while before you need it, it'll help. When temps dipped to low 20's, I've cupped the canister with my hands to warm it up while it cooked. Other than that, no issues. The day mine stops working (if ever) I will go buy another.

kytrailman
03-06-2008, 13:27
Oven Liner Pan works great. Be sure not to totally enclose the stove and canister and you won't have any overheating problems. Just leave enough room between the ends of the screen to get to your pot.

Neurosis
03-06-2008, 13:29
Oven liner pan sounds like an awesome idea and a cool little project, i'll definetly give it a go. Thanks for the input!

Lead Dog
03-06-2008, 13:48
I use an alum cooking bag cut to fit very loosely around the canister, a good 2 inches of space between them. It's tall enough to just come to where you pot would set. I made it more sturdy by trimming the edges with alum tape. You can fold up and put inside your pot for storage.

kytrailman
03-06-2008, 14:28
Make your screen the same diameter as your pot, and make it tall enough to overlap the bottom edge of the pot by a half inch or so. This will aid in the warming of the canister a bit. Just make sure to leave the gap for some heat to escape. Keep the canister buried in your pack if it is cold out.Good luck.

trailgoat
03-06-2008, 17:16
I've had the PocketRocket for years and just bring along a piece of folded tinfoil. This stove is a blowtorch--I rarely have wind issues with it. Like Jerseyhick---logs, your back, a sleeping pad--all would do the trick.