PDA

View Full Version : 10 days worth

beas
03-06-2008, 14:23
Ok folks, am I trying to bite off more than we can chew? Can the section between Springer and Franklin be done in 10 days? It will be in mid April for the start. If it can't be done what do ya'll suggest the get off point be for 10 days.
Secondly, can you throw up camp anywhere along the trail in this section? That is my understanding.

I posted this on Sgt Rock page but thought it might be more visible here.

Thanks
BEAS

Blissful
03-06-2008, 14:30
Ten miles a day, that's doable. From Carter Gap shelter to Winding Stair is easy though. We did the 16 miles in one day, no problem.

No camping restrictions that I know of. In fact, you can find estalbished sites in many places along the trail.

Midway Sam
03-06-2008, 14:35
Certainly doable. According to my rough calculations, it is 107 miles from Springer to US64. 10.7 miles a day should be no problem.

Doctari
03-06-2008, 14:45
If memory serves, it's a fairly "easy" section. The only really rough parts I remember were: the (Short) clumb out of Bly gap & Albert Mt. But then I did those sections with a 50 - 70 Lb pack. I think total hiking time was about 15 days, but then that was with 3 starting days which for me are always very low miles days :rolleyes:

FWIW: with a 70 lb pack, I did Springer to Dicks Creek Gap in 8 days. Then I think it was about 70.1 miles Acording to WFs book (at least thats what it says in my journal), now it's listed as 66.6 in the 07 companion.

Johnny Swank
03-06-2008, 14:48
Sure - just take it easy the first day or two and you'll be fine.

max patch
03-06-2008, 14:51
Approx 12 miles a day if you take a zero halfway thru. Or approx 14 miles a day if you assume only hiking a half day on the first and last day to take care of shuttling (and the zero halfway thru). Can you manage that?

BTW, if you get caught short timewise you can hike the 3 mile Kimsey Creek trail at Deep Gap and bypass about 20 AT miles. But I would only do that as a last resort as you would miss Standing Indian and Albert Mountains.

Summit
03-06-2008, 18:29
Start at the trailhead about .9 miles from Springer Summit. The entire 7 mile "approach trail" is a tough way to start. Could be discouraging. That will cut you down to less than 10 miles a day average needed.

Yes, you can camp anywhere a tent will go. Remember the rules (generally), not within 100 ft. of a stream or trail. Think about and decide whether you want to "dry camp" (no water nearby) or not. I don't like to myself, preferring to relax, splurge, and enjoy the camping part. Using the trail data, plan your days based on where there's water. Often times that might be where a shelter is, but you can always pitch your tent well away from the shelter (recommended!). You can then socialize at the shelter and head to your tent when you've had enough. ;)

Don't make yourself do 10 miles the first couple of days. You can make up miles after day five, when your legs and body start really digging it! My experience has been, even when in my 20s/30s and in good shape as a runner, that day two you will feel sore. Day three you will hurt where you didn't know you had places to hurt. Day four gets better. Day five and beyond (if you didn't overdo it during the first few days) you will really start to enjoy the walking very much! By day eight you won't even have to stop for a breather on a long uphill.

CursedKarma
03-07-2008, 04:27
Easily 10 days I was thinking more like 7-8 It is only 106.6 to Winding star gap. At 8 days that is only 13 and change miles a day. There are plenty of places to camp, but there are 12 shelters in GA, and then 5 more in NC before Winding Gap.

StarLyte
03-07-2008, 06:43
Ok folks, am I trying to bite off more than we can chew? Can the section between Springer and Franklin be done in 10 days? It will be in mid April for the start. If it can't be done what do ya'll suggest the get off point be for 10 days.
Secondly, can you throw up camp anywhere along the trail in this section? That is my understanding.

I posted this on Sgt Rock page but thought it might be more visible here.

Thanks
BEAS

Are you hiking up Springer from USFS 42?

How long have you been hiking--recently?

Recalculate your miles if the answer is no to either question. I am only speaking from my experiences.

And don't push yourself to make those miles, you want the experience right?

It's the hike - not the miles. Good luck to you and have fun ! :sun

rafe
03-07-2008, 09:42
10 miles per day is quite doable if you're in shape. If you're new to hiking or not in shape, it's probably too much.

Do a practice hike and see how it feels; then you'll know with some certainty how many miles you're "good for" in a day.

Not saying GA is "easy hiking" but it's not the Whites, either. Camping is relatively easy in that stretch.

Darryl G
03-07-2008, 12:47
NP...I did Springer to Fontanna in 10 day...no it wasn't fun, lol.

Lone Wolf
03-07-2008, 12:51
Can the section between Springer and Franklin be done in 10 days? It will be in mid April for the start. If it can't be done what do ya'll suggest the get off point be for 10 days.

sure it can be done. it's only 106 miles

yes you can camp just about anywhere in that section

beas
03-07-2008, 15:25
Thanks everyone for the replies. We are in good shape, stub urn and mentally together.
Our occupation depends on all three traits. We have slept on truck tail gates and parking lots doing rescue during Katrina and numerous other hurricanes and such. No sleep or poor sleep and bad food is no big issue. So I feel comfortable for the time frame.
Our longest hike has been 6 easy days in the smokies.
Thanks again
Beas

DavidNH
03-07-2008, 16:29
Beas..

This is VERY doable. On my 2006 AT thru hike I hiked the approach trail on 3/21 and was in Franklin by 4/1. That is 9 days. I hiked from 10-13 miles per day.

Plan for 12 miles or so per day. You may want to go slower at first (depending on physical conditioning) and do more miles further along.

Try not to make the mistake I did of tenting on the SUMMIT of Springer Mountain. Man summits are a COLD and WINDY place to camp.

You may want to consider skipping the Approach trail and start at that Forest Service Road 1 mile from Springer Summit. But that even if you include the 8 mile approach trail you can still do this section in 10 days.

I would advise you not to plan any zero days since you have a time limitation. Spend a night in Neel's Gap (might as well.. trail goes right to this hostel (Walsi YI) but head out early next Morning. the hostel is also a very good re-supply point. Get there in before noon.. the place is real crowded..it fills right up!

DavdNH