PDA

View Full Version : Is it raining?

Pedaling Fool
03-06-2008, 16:11
I get the impression from various sources that the southern appalachians has and continues to receive an inordinate amout of precipitation - for those in the area, is this true? How's that lake, I believe the name/spelling is Lanier?

Ender
03-06-2008, 16:57
Except for the Smokies, no, it's not really true. People just aren't used to being outside in the rain, and when they go outside in the springtime (April showers bring May flowers, after all) they are shocked that it can rain.

Carp
03-06-2008, 17:20
Well, it has been really wet the past few weeks down here in Georgia.

Skidsteer
03-06-2008, 19:28
There's been a fair amount of rain but, like many areas, we're playing catch-up.

Lanier is a different problem. Atlanta gets their water from it, and what little they send on goes to FL and AL.

Ghosthiker
03-06-2008, 21:30
I heard on he news, the other night, that we were a 1+" over for February, but we're still 16+" short, over all.

Flush2wice
03-06-2008, 21:41
Tuesday, western NC got it's biggest rain event since August 2006. But we are so low it was a drop in the bucket. Forecast for tomorrow is for another .5-1". That's good news but we need lots more.

Carp
03-06-2008, 23:44
I'm in Augusta, at it's not near as bad droughtwise out this way as it is up in the city. Lake Thurmond, our bigass resevior is down 12 foot, but it's filling right back up. Lucky for us out here that there isn't much demand on the Savannah.

Fahrenheit
03-07-2008, 00:06
Its actually pretty much the normal amount of rain if you look at the averages. Its just that, the drought that got so bad last year has actually been gradually worsening over the past few years, so getting a normal amount of rain seems like a lot. Especially, as I think we went close to 2 months at the end of last summer without any rain at all in Atlanta.

Tennessee Viking
03-07-2008, 00:34
Big Stone Gap, VA just got a tornado.

Sgt. Rock should change his name to Sgt. SlickRock.

The Southern Appys are still considered in being a serious draught. But we have gotten a bit more than normal rainshowers compared to snowfall. We had a few days of good snowfall, but either ended up melting fast or washed away.

Most of the cold fronts coming in from the Midwest have been turning northwards before really hitting the south.

Roots
03-07-2008, 00:53
I live here in WNC. Transylvania county got up to 7 in. Tuesday. It was UNREAL. We were under flood warnings until 9:30 this morning. VERY wet here. I am about an hour from Hot Springs and 2 hours from NOC or Franklin. If anyone is headed to Pisgah Nat. Forest, don't worry, plenty of water. YEAH!!!:banana

Hoop
03-09-2008, 00:19
Flew into ATL last week. Pilot pointed out the exposed shorelines on Lake Lanier, need lots of rain still.

Wonder
03-09-2008, 09:43
HEre in Damascus you never know.....it'll rain, it'll be sunny....one never knows. Ya know, Who's John Gault?

Lone Wolf
03-09-2008, 09:44
HEre in Damascus you never know.....it'll rain, it'll be sunny....one never knows. Ya know, Who's John Gault?

http://johngault22.blogspot.com/

Jason of the Woods
03-09-2008, 09:58
Sounds like an interesting fellow. The trail needs a little more character.;)
http://johngault22.blogspot.com/