PDA

View Full Version : Mail Drops vs. Grocery in GA

charmcityboys
03-07-2008, 03:42
Was wondering if the grocery stores in the first 100 miles or so from Springer would be a good place to resupply? We're starting out 3/30 and I was thinking maybe they would be over-run with people starting their thru-hikes. What have people's experiences been? Should we do mail drops in the beginning? I'd hate to get stuck with no/limited selection.

CursedKarma
03-07-2008, 04:02
You could easly pack for 2 days (Grocery store before springer), refill at Neels Gap for 4/5 days and that would take you right into NC. (you will have to refill in Franklin NC) You should be fine using grocery stores down here. I will be heading south starting on the 28th from Bly. See you on the trail.

fiddlehead
03-07-2008, 04:40
I always use Neels Gap (send myself a box) and Hiawassee. (has everything you might need i believe)
That way you are not carrying more than 3 days of food at the most. (or 4 depending on your style of hike)

Not much in Suches from what i recall.

Two Speed
03-07-2008, 04:45
Short term resupply available in Suches, but it's quite a hike from Woody Gap down to the nearest convenience store. I'd recommend against resupply there.

Mother Nature
03-07-2008, 09:08
Also remember that it is an easy hitch into Helen from Unicoi Gap if you need shelter or resupply.

Betty's Country Store, although a little pricy, is a full service grocery with a deli.

There are several motels that offer hiker discounts.

Lilred
03-07-2008, 12:55
I'd be careful at that time of relying on places like Neel's Gap for resupply. Would be a drag to get in there after they've been cleaned out and before a delivery. Sending a mail drop is iffy there too. Have heard stories of people not getting their mail drop due to poor delivery times in those small towns. I'd pack in seven days of food from Springer and just keep hiking, but that's just me.

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 13:08
I agree with Lilred, but I tend to resupply less often than some. The selection at Neels Gap is well-chosen but not extensive and on the expensive side, like a convenience store for hikers.

CrumbSnatcher
03-07-2008, 14:32
Was wondering if the grocery stores in the first 100 miles or so from Springer would be a good place to resupply? We're starting out 3/30 and I was thinking maybe they would be over-run with people starting their thru-hikes. What have people's experiences been? Should we do mail drops in the beginning? I'd hate to get stuck with no/limited selection. suches has a gas station easy hitch,i always hitch in for a soda and lunch and leave with hotdogs and buns for that evening. neels gap limited,but enough to get you down the trail to helen or hiawassee. if not staying the night i kind of like the grocery store in helen. hiawassee grocery store is bigger,more items,little cheapier and if staying the night hard to go wrong with the hiawassee inn. good restraunts too including the first buffet restraunt. people brag up the blueberry patch which is cool,but everything they dont offer is in town? good hiking

Blissful
03-07-2008, 19:28
If mailing to Neels, give yourself plenty of leeway time like any other drop.

Cloud Nine hostel also accepts mail drops.

Jack Tarlin
03-07-2008, 21:23
The "Re-Supply" article in the "Articles" section of this website will provide extensive information on your re-supply options for the first 100 miles of the Trail that you may find useful.

It will supply similar information for the next 2,075 miles of the Trail as well.

Dogwood
03-08-2008, 01:56
Jack, if U got a dime everytime someone accessed one of your informative posts on WB I think U would be well funded for your your next two thru-hikes!!!