PDA

View Full Version : Where's Kirby?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

RITBlake
03-28-2008, 09:50
Tired of the Smokies? Oh you're gonna love the middle states.

Jester2000
03-30-2008, 21:11
Katahdin is the majestic physical end of a voluntary spiritual/physical pilgrimage northward from Springer Mt.
You either get there or you don't. You either 'talk the walk' or you 'walk the walk'.

There are many who are in the former category because it is easy. There are fewer in the latter group because it is difficult.

. . . and there are some who live in a weirdly manicheistic world, which is easy for them, but pretty difficult for those who have to put up with them.

For some, of course, Katahdin is the majestic physical end of a voluntary spiritual/physical pilgrimage southward from Cape Gaspe. For some it's the beginning of a journey. For others it's a cool postcard on their fridge. It's a lot of things to a lot of people.

Some get there. Some don't. Some fall into the third category that keeps it from being an either/or proposition: those not trying to get there.

Personally, I have the ability to both talk the walk and walk the walk. For the record, I can also talk the talk, and, on occasion, walk the talk.

Won't it be nice when Kirby discovers what Katahdin is himself?

Thru hiking is difficult enough without a bunch of hangers on cheering and interfering. My suggestion is we let the kid do his thing with minimum comments from wannabes.
Weary

And if he is wise, which he is, he won't encourage everyone to keep looking over his shoulder.
The trail is difficult enough without a fan club second guessing your every move.

Weary

Hmmm. So if he's definitely wise, and he's ignoring your suggestion to not encourage everyone, then that makes you. . .um, ahh, . . . confused about what makes hiking difficult?

If Kirby ever feels like not having people "looking over his shoulder," he knows how to do it. Stop posting and stop e-mailing. And then a handful of people on this thread will get all in a tizzy for a couple of days, fraught with worry for someone they don't actually know, and talk about making phone calls to authorities, and then Lone Wolf will tell them all to stop getting their knickers in a twist, and then Lone Wolf will be told he's mean and that the person is only concerned, and how could you mock that, and then a few days later all of those concerned folks will find something else to worry about that also has little to do with their own lives.

I doubt that he'll decide to go that route. Which makes him neither right nor wrong, but it does make him Kirby. I'll trust Kirby to know how to be Kirby.

Good luck, K. Have fun getting to Kirtahdin.

Kirby
03-31-2008, 16:54
I arrived in Erwin earlier this afternoon, I am staying with Uncle Johhny. I will update my journal either later today, or tomorrow, but not now.

Tomorrow I shall walk 4 miles out of town.

Kirby

TOW
03-31-2008, 17:36
I arrived in Erwin earlier this afternoon, I am staying with Uncle Johhny. I will update my journal either later today, or tomorrow, but not now.

Tomorrow I shall walk 4 miles out of town.

Kirby
well i can see your rocking right along...........plan on eating dinner here the first night you arrive........and maybe even the second night if you are still here..........plus you can use this 'puter if you need to...

Kirby
03-31-2008, 17:53
Sounds good TOW, I will drop you a PM to trade contact information.

I would like to nero into Damascus, then pull a zero, then nero out, but we shall see.

I should be at Kincora saturday, putting me in Damascus either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

Kirby

TOW
03-31-2008, 18:07
Sounds good TOW, I will drop you a PM to trade contact information.

I would like to nero into Damascus, then pull a zero, then nero out, but we shall see.

I should be at Kincora saturday, putting me in Damascus either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

Kirby
I'm sure we can arrainge for you to do whatever it is want to do while here.

I sent you my number..........

warraghiyagey
03-31-2008, 18:22
Good to hear from ya Kirb.:)
Got a trail name yet??

Kirby
03-31-2008, 18:42
Good to hear from ya Kirb.:)
Got a trail name yet??

Some people call me Kirby. Some people call me Spaz. Some people call me Youngblood. Some people call me Lost and Found. I sign the registers as Kirby, but I respond to all of the above.

Kirby

Kirby
04-01-2008, 07:45
Journal up to date. I expect no sympathy.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 07:49

Kirby

April Fools? or is your dad serious? you ain't gettin' off the trail

camojack
04-01-2008, 07:55
If you have to get off trail for financial reasons, you'll get sympathy.

If this is an April Fool gag, as Lone Wolf asked, it's a good one...and I hope that it is just that.

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 07:56
If you have to get off trail for financial reasons, you'll get sympathy.

not from me. shoulda planned better

Heater
04-01-2008, 07:59

You are such a meanie. :D

camojack
04-01-2008, 08:03
Of course not from you...you're a miserable cuss, at least online you are. :eek:

However, "the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

I still hope it's just an April Fool's gag... :-?

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 08:04
it's just a trail

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 08:08
It may be just a trail to you, but for some folks they spend years planning for this experience and to have something come along to pull them off the trail in the middle of them realizing their dream it can be very upsetting. So how about having a little bit of compassion or at least keep your thoughts to yourself?

Kirby, I hope that everything works out for you. :)

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 08:12
It may be just a trail to you, but for some folks they spend years planning for this experience and to have something come along to pull them off the trail in the middle of them realizing their dream it can be very upsetting. So how about having a little bit of compassion or at least keep your thoughts to yourself?

Kirby, I hope that everything works out for you. :)

he's FOS. it's april fools :rolleyes: lighten up

dixicritter
04-01-2008, 08:16
Check the date of his journal entry y'all. It's not April 1. How can you be so sure?

zoidfu
04-01-2008, 08:18
Because Mathewski and Hillary Clinton also quit today

mrc237
04-01-2008, 08:21
Hillary is on the AT? Tough Dame!!!

zoidfu
04-01-2008, 08:26
The secret service was carrying her pack so it really isn't that big of a deal.

mrc237
04-01-2008, 08:29
Mathewski has no Sherpas!!! :eek:

Kirby
04-01-2008, 09:40
It is not an April fools gag. Sprint hit us hard with roaming charges, I am on trail until furthur notice, I am having a blast. Today I will slackpack, and I will hike out tomorrow.

Verizon has the best network, I just need to limit my calls while roaming, lesson learned.

SHould be tons of people on Springer today.

Kirby

JAK
04-01-2008, 09:44
I got nailed hard on a drive down to Florida once. It's highway robbery, literally.
To this day I refuse to have a cell phone on past Bangor, and that was 20 years ago!

I share your ire.

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 09:55
pay phones. $1.00 for 3 minutes anywhere in the US. ditch the cell

Gray Blazer
04-01-2008, 10:42
pay phones. $1.00 for 3 minutes anywhere in the US. ditch the cell
Y Mexico, tambien. Es verdad.

Kirby
04-01-2008, 13:36
We have set up a contingency plan, so I should be good to go. We are also going to adjust our plan to include no roaming charges.

Kirby

Mrs Baggins
04-01-2008, 13:45
Oh man. We carried a Cingular (now AT&T I guess) pay as you go phone. Decent coverage on the trail - loaded it up with lots of money before we started and you can buy more time on the way. Worthless off the trail - did a road trip to Alaska and had virtually no coverage anywhere. Since then went to Verizon - excellent coverage and as long as we're calling other Verizon customers on the IN plan we don't get charged extra.

Appalachian Tater
04-01-2008, 13:51
Kirby, you hang in there. Everything will not go perfectly.

Also, if the stool at Elmer's wasn't a sitting stool, well what the heck kind of stool was it?

Sly
04-01-2008, 13:55
Sprint has roaming charges? Get a phone card from Walmart.

clured
04-01-2008, 15:42
Throw the cell phone into a creek. Problem solved.

sheepdog
04-01-2008, 17:05
Best of luck and Keep on hiking Kirby.

RITBlake
04-01-2008, 18:11
why would have any phone but Verizon they have the best commercials

Kirby
04-01-2008, 18:31
Sprint has roaming charges? Get a phone card from Walmart.

I could barely tell what my dad said, but I believe it was either 16 or 60 cents a minute, on top of the regular monthly bill. I have been talking a lot on roaming.

Also, I mentioned I was carrying the Appalachian Pages. This is easily the best guidebook on the market. It is simple and to the point, and a lot of hikers out here love the built in profile, it helps plan the day more effectively.

I ditched the Companion because it gave the history of every shelter and information about where you go to a point that is annoying, but they fail to mention a decent amount of the water sources you pass over, while the two other guidebooks do so.

As far as I am concerned, the Appalachian Pages is the best guidebook currently on the market.

Kirby

Blissful
04-01-2008, 19:36
Wow I was really impressed with your journal entry, Kirby. You are some great guy to be willing to do what you need to do. Take care and if you have to get off, the trail is always here and you are a good age to come back again.

saimyoji
04-01-2008, 20:52
All competitive cell phone plans now eliminate roaming charges. If yours still has 'em, get another plan. Keep goin Kirby. :cool:

Bluebearee
04-03-2008, 16:15
Overmountain shelter. Windy today over the Balds.

chiefdaddy
04-04-2008, 07:18
I bet he's on a yellow blaze.

SawnieRobertson
04-04-2008, 16:45
I bet he's on a yellow blaze.

WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?--Kinnickinic

Jim Adams
04-04-2008, 16:58
The secret service was carrying her pack so it really isn't that big of a deal.

:DThat's so she can run faster from the sniper fire!

geek

chiefdaddy
04-05-2008, 07:44
WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?--Kinnickinic

haha it came from Kirby. I've been on the trail, when I checked WB out I saw the "where is Kirby" post and peer pressure made me do it(Bill and Jesse) lol.

Asa Dachi

SawnieRobertson
04-05-2008, 09:41
haha it came from Kirby. I've been on the trail, when I checked WB out I saw the "where is Kirby" post and peer pressure made me do it(Bill and Jesse) lol.

Asa Dachi

Well, peer pressure was the last thing I suspected. Hackles down, mellower in the morning . . . Where's CHIEF DADDY?--MamaKinnickinic

Bluebearee
04-08-2008, 11:31
Kirby wanted me to tell the WB community he has just landed in Damascus and will be zeroing tomorrow!

BB

SGT Rock
04-08-2008, 11:34
Outstanding.

Thoughtful Owl
04-08-2008, 11:45
G-o-o-o-o Kirby.

Heater
04-08-2008, 12:12
Kirby wanted me to tell the WB community he has just landed in Damascus and will be zeroing tomorrow!

BB

He is moving along pretty good. :)

TOW
04-08-2008, 12:13
just finished talkin to him on the phone and will update you later........

if i get enough time with him i may write a story about the young man........

Hooch
04-08-2008, 12:25
Good to hear Kirby is still on the trail and doing well. I hope he has a good time in Damascus, with plenty of rest and a good place to stay for any amount of time he is there.

envirodiver
04-08-2008, 12:36
Overmountain shelter. Windy today over the Balds.

Is it ever not windy over the balds, Big and Little hump?

orangebug
04-08-2008, 13:38
Is it ever not windy over the balds, Big and Little hump?Yep.

I had it foggy and wet, but no wind Nov '04

Lone Wolf
04-08-2008, 15:42

BB

i just met him in front of the library. he punched me out for being a big mouth on whiteblaze. :eek:

Kirby
04-08-2008, 15:44
My journal is now up to date as of yesterday, hope you all enjoy that.

I just met Lone Wolf. This man raises hell on this site, but he is a very nice man in person. I talked with him for a little while.

I also talked to The Only Wanderer earlier today, he gave me a call. I will be visiting him a little later today. If I don't get there today I will drop by tomorrow.

Time for new shoes,
Kirby

Hey Chiefdaddy, where are you?

Kirby
04-08-2008, 15:44
i just met him in front of the library. he punched me out for being a big mouth on whiteblaze. :eek:

You hit a computer and typed that up faster than I could!:eek:

Nice to meet you,
Kirby

envirodiver
04-08-2008, 17:09
Yep.

I had it foggy and wet, but no wind Nov '04

LOL...such a momentous event that you remember the day from 4 years ago. Yeah the weather on that stretch of trail is interesting. I've only been there once that wasn't winter weather. It's fun in the winter.

Bluebearee
04-08-2008, 17:21
LOL...such a momentous event that you remember the day from 4 years ago. Yeah the weather on that stretch of trail is interesting. I've only been there once that wasn't winter weather. It's fun in the winter.

In 02, I remember my day distinctly too, it was wind like you read about, couldn't see far ahead, I have no idea when I got to Little or Big Hump really. Trying to walk in the trough of a trail was almost impossible, I felt like I was drunk, I finally gave up and walked beside the path in the grass. It was momentous, I have been wanting to go back ever since and re-hike it on a nice day (at least with views); the photos of the Humps I've seen are spectacular!

So Kirby whatcha getting for new wheels on yer feet? I'm sure that could spawn a whole new sub thread here.... I can't remember what you started with either?

TOW
04-08-2008, 18:03
You know you had it comin'...........it's a wonder he didn't dp a Chuck Norris on you................:banana

Appalachian Tater
04-08-2008, 18:09
Somebody make sure he gets enough to eat.

orangebug
04-08-2008, 19:27
LOL...such a momentous event that you remember the day from 4 years ago. Yeah the weather on that stretch of trail is interesting. I've only been there once that wasn't winter weather. It's fun in the winter.Damn, but I nearly never saw anything to suggest presence of trail, as the whole are on the Humps were furrelled grass clumps. Occasionally, I'd trip over a rock with a white blaze and count myself lucky.

One of my favorite hiking memories.

Ashman
04-09-2008, 06:05
So Kirby whatcha getting for new wheels on yer feet? I'm sure that could spawn a whole new sub thread here.... I can't remember what you started with either?

He started in trailrunners I think

TOW
04-09-2008, 07:16
Somebody make sure he gets enough to eat.
We're about to perform that little task this morning......we got some farm fresh eggs that we are going to shove down his throat and taters to boot, along with some ham and sausage............I guess I better get som OJ too.........

Lone Wolf
04-09-2008, 07:35
We're about to perform that little task this morning......we got some farm fresh eggs that we are going to shove down his throat and taters to boot, along with some ham and sausage............I guess I better get som OJ too.........

uhhh, how could that be? he's at my house right now eatin' waffles and bacon

camojack
04-09-2008, 07:36

You hit a computer and typed that up faster than I could!:eek:
That's pretty funny. Yes, our Lone Wolf is a big pussy...cat in person. ;)

Those of who really know him, really love him too. But only in a manly sort of way, of course... :D

What, no bacon?! :eek:

No doubt you'll put on a fine feed; your excellent reputation in that regard is well earned, by all accounts...

Kirby
04-09-2008, 07:58
I am currently at the house of The Only Wanderer, he is cooking me up some breakfast this morning. Hey Wolf, you coming over?

I started with Merrell Trail Runners, they bit the dust after about 600 miles, so I am pleased(this hike and the 100 mile wilderness, plus town walking at home). I will be buying Montrail Shoes that have a little more ankle support.

This kitchen smells good,
Kirby

Lone Wolf
04-09-2008, 08:05
I am currently at the house of The Only Wanderer, he is cooking me up some breakfast this morning. Hey Wolf, you coming over?

nah. already had my cheerios, skim milk and banana

warraghiyagey
04-09-2008, 08:10
Mornin Kirb, sounds like the trail is treating you well.:)

Bluebearee
04-09-2008, 09:20
So you didn't get two breakfasts after all??? Take advantage of some calories Kirby!

TOW
04-09-2008, 09:42
Well, all I can say is that Kirby ate well, then he ate some more..........I did load up his plate pretty good.......wanted to make sure he was well fed..........I thought he would eat more, but of course the day is not over yet..........

RITBlake
04-09-2008, 10:06
this thread is making me hungry

Kirby
04-09-2008, 10:18
Lone Wolf was being Lone Wolf, I will harrass him some more at Dot's tonight. He saved me a ton of money on shoes though, I went to Sundog outfitter and found a pair of boots I really like for 70 bucks.

Kirby

Thoughtful Owl
04-09-2008, 10:27

Gawd yes, and all I had was a bagle with peanut butter on it and my cup of coffee.

Sounds like Kirby got well taken care of for breakfast...now where's it going to be for lunch...and dinner? If he was in central VA I would definately do my part and will if I can hook up with him when he comes through.

10-K
04-09-2008, 10:59

Run out of granola?

Lone Wolf
04-09-2008, 11:01
Run out of granola?

hippies eat granola

cannonball
04-09-2008, 11:24

I started with Merrell Trail Runners, they bit the dust after about 600 miles, so I am pleased(this hike and the 100 mile wilderness, plus town walking at home). I will be buying Montrail Shoes that have a little more ankle support.

This kitchen smells good,
Kirby

Sittin on TOW's porch scratching Sally's ear as you watch the sleepy lil burg of Damascus roll by. Saving minutes of air time while you call every one you know for free. All the while, Larry, in his cute little frilly apron whips you up a power breakfast. Now that, son, is livin.:sun

mudhead
04-09-2008, 11:33
Honey nut or yellow box?

hippies eat granola
I just got sheared. I like granola.

Hippies eat bananas.

Heater
04-09-2008, 11:36
hippies eat granola

If they're full of granola when you kick 'em... it sounds kinda like you're thumping on a watermelon.

Dontchya think?

10-K
04-09-2008, 11:36
hippies eat granola

Starbucks is hiring.... Make a good latte? :)

Kirby
04-09-2008, 12:35
Meanwhile back at the ranch....

Life is good on the trail.

Kirby

Hooch
04-09-2008, 12:37
Lone Wolf was being Lone Wolf, I will harrass him some more at Dot's tonight........Got your fake ID so you can get a beer at Dot's? :D Seriously, Kirby, glad you're having a good zero day in Damascus. Don't miss the cheeseburgers at Dot's, they're awesome! Hi to TOW, LW, Wonder and the rest of the Damascus crew!

Kirby
04-09-2008, 12:42
That Dot's cheeseburger is quite good, I will be there tonight for round two as well.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
04-09-2008, 12:47
We're about to perform that little task this morning......we got some farm fresh eggs that we are going to shove down his throat and taters to boot, along with some ham and sausage............I guess I better get som OJ too.........Good deal!

TOW
04-09-2008, 16:02
All the while, Larry, in his cute little frilly apron whips you up a power breakfast. Now that, son, is livin.:sun
You told me that you would never let anyone know about my apron?:eek:

cannonball
04-09-2008, 17:26
You told me that you would never let anyone know about my apron?:eek:

Sorry Hoss. Its just that you are so cute in it it seems a shame not to share this visual image with others.;)

camojack
04-09-2008, 20:20
Me too!!! :o

TOW
04-10-2008, 07:40
I thought I would get to know Kirby a bit and write a short story about him, but it seemed to be the other way around. Instead of me asking the questions, it was he that was asking the questions.

I don't have much to say of him other than this young man impressed me a whole bunch and it was a joy to have him around. I have no doubt that Kirby will excell far in life. And I have no doubt that he is on a spiritual awakening in this walk of his.

Man when you talk to him he is so full of spirit. And the one single thing that impressed me about him was the fact that he seems to have the utmost respect for his father. I was standing next to him yesterday when his dad called and basically it was a yes sir, no sir conversation. I finally walked away because really it was none of my business.

I just poked my head out of the door about ten minutes ago and saw Kirby walking down the trail.........

The young legend has come to see us, he stayed for a bit, and now he walks on.........

Kirby
04-10-2008, 08:39
I am currently sitting at Mojoe's coffee shop in Damascus, great coffee by the way.

I will be hitting trail shortly, I will be taking the Creeper Trail out of town at the advice of Lone Wolf.

I also met CaseyB, the final member of the Damascus clan from Whiteblaze.

I shall now prepare to walk on, I will most likely leave here around 9:00AM, today should be an easy day, no need to rush.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
04-10-2008, 08:43
I am currently sitting at Mojoe's coffee shop in Damascus, great coffee by the way.

I will be hitting trail shortly, I will be taking the Creeper Trail out of town at the advice of Lone Wolf.

I also met CaseyB, the final member of the Damascus clan from Whiteblaze.

I shall now prepare to walk on, I will most likely leave here around 9:00AM, today should be an easy day, no need to rush.

Kirby

have an early lunch at the Creeper Trail Cafe in 7 miles :)

warraghiyagey
04-10-2008, 08:44
Good stories Kirby. Great updates. Enjoy the path.:sun

Kirby
04-10-2008, 08:49
Hey Wolf, come down to the coffee shop if you have some spare time this morning, my school still wants me to visit them, so I want to talk to you about what is possible, if anything at all.

Only if you have some spare time though.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
04-10-2008, 08:50
Hey Wolf, come down to the coffee shop if you have some spare time this morning, my school still wants me to visit them, so I want to talk to you about what is possible, if anything at all.

Only if you have some spare time though.

Kirby

i'll put my clothes in the dryer then i'll be right down

max patch
04-10-2008, 09:45

Kirby

Looks like you are at a crossroads of your hike.

This is from the first page of your journal:

...Indeed, the newspapers are correct, I am going to hike the Entire Appalachian Trail, Springer To Katahdin for those of you in the know...

Do you really want to hike the ENTIRE Appalachian Trail, or do you want to spend 6 months in the woods.

Have a great hike, whatever you decide.

jersey joe
04-10-2008, 09:49
Sounds like you had a good time in Damascus Kirby...happy hiking!

Lone Wolf
04-10-2008, 10:02
Sounds like you had a good time in Damascus Kirby...happy hiking!

he ain't left yet...... :)

jersey joe
04-10-2008, 10:27
he ain't left yet...... :)
Ah, getting stuck in the Damascus Vortex....

Lone Wolf
04-10-2008, 10:29

he's at least delayed his departure til noonish :)

TOW
04-10-2008, 12:28
Looks like you are at a crossroads of your hike.

This is from the first page of your journal:

...Indeed, the newspapers are correct, I am going to hike the Entire Appalachian Trail, Springer To Katahdin for those of you in the know...

Do you really want to hike the ENTIRE Appalachian Trail, or do you want to spend 6 months in the woods.

Have a great hike, whatever you decide.
The heck with being a purist, break the rules and explore off of the beaten path...........

StarLyte
04-10-2008, 12:44

ha ha they used to get stuck at Janet's...thank goodness for Damascus and the great folks that live there ;) I think a lot of hikers need to feel that, especially the younger ones.

Bluebearee
04-10-2008, 14:19
he's at least delayed his departure til noonish :)

So did he leave? It's a hard town to walk out of, no doubt.

sheepdog
04-10-2008, 14:21
I used to think Kirby had a pretty good head on his shoulders. Then he started saying nice things about Lone Wolf in his journal. Poor kid's all mixed up.

SawnieRobertson
04-10-2008, 21:14
Cold, chilling, icy (perhaps) weather is returning (they say) this weekend to the Highlands. I think Kirby and his pals will be past the highest elevations at Trimpi and then Partnership by the time it settles in. It'll be cold but not nearly so much so as up on Mt. Rogers and thereabouts. Meanwhile, the weather here is perfect tonight, much better than being in a hostel in town.--Kinnickinic

warren doyle
04-10-2008, 22:18
Delete 'entire'.

SGT Rock
04-11-2008, 09:06
Y'all don't start this whole purist debate in Kirby's thread. Leave the guy alone and let him hike.

orangebug
04-11-2008, 09:58
Quit sniveling, Sarge.

I think that was said in entirely good humor, just as the comments on Lone Wolf have been.

Kirby seems to have a good sense of self and what he will want to do. I hope he does the Virginia Creeper Blue Blaze.

SGT Rock
04-11-2008, 10:55
It wasn't sniveling, it was a warning to leave off this subject. Certain people like to turn threads into topics about themselves.

CaseyB
04-11-2008, 23:52
Kirby doesn't look near as young as profile pic on his TJ.

timjo
04-12-2008, 18:01
Hey Kirby, it's great to see you're doing the whole thing after seeing you on the trail in the 100 mile wilderness last summer, I guess you must have got hooked, good man! Hope you enjoyed Mt Rogers area (I guess you'll have done it by the time your read this), it was one of my favourite areas. Take care out there ...

Knifey Spoony.

SawnieRobertson
04-13-2008, 18:25
I dropped Kirby, Hard Bound, and Cookie at Partnership about an hour ago after a good day of slacking them and then taking them into Marion for resupply, a big lunch at Macados, a hot tub, a sauna, a swim, and a shower at the Lifetime Wellness Center there. For me it was inspiring and fun. For them it was a great nero. They were carrying in food from Wendys when I last saw them, walking in the falling snow.--Kinnickinic

Memphis Tim
04-18-2008, 08:33
If the Kirby in question is a precocious seventeen year old from Portland, ME then he passed my campsite seven miles short of Bland yesterday morning at about 8:30. -Memphis Tim

Heater
04-18-2008, 08:40
If the Kirby in question is a precocious seventeen year old from Portland, ME then he passed my campsite seven miles short of Bland yesterday morning at about 8:30. -Memphis Tim

That'd be the one. :D

Appalachian Tater
04-18-2008, 09:23
a good day of slacking them and then taking them into Marion for resupply, a big lunch at Macados, a hot tub, a sauna, a swim, and a shower at the Lifetime Wellness Center there. For me it was inspiring and fun. For them it was a great nero. They were carrying in food from Wendys when I last saw them, walking in the falling snow.--KinnickinicLife's a *****.

Kirby
04-19-2008, 17:53
Kirby here, I am currently in Pearisburg, VA. I am currently at the Courthouse Cafe, which has the best coffee I have had on the trail thus far, I highly reccommend stopping here. I will make sure it is listed in the 2009 copy of the Appalachian Pages.

I do not have enough time to update my journal, so that will happen in Roanoke, VA, on Friday during my zero.

Tomorrow I shall hike out, not sure how far though.

Pearisburg is a great trail town.

I am switching to T-Mobile as of Saturday evening. If you currently have my cell phone number, please email me and I will pass along my cell phone number the moment I have it.

Kirby

Mrs Baggins
04-19-2008, 18:16
Still following you Kirby and still cheering! Did a small section last week from Wayah Bald to Stecoah Gap and going back tomorrow to do Newfound Gap to Hot Springs. Each in our own way and each in our own time. I am humbled to follow in your footsteps............;)

Kirby
04-20-2008, 09:09
Well....being the computer savy kid that I am, I managed to accidentally delete everyone from my email list. I clicked "check all", and instead of hitting "send mail", I hit "delete".

If you were on my email list, please send me an email with the heading "re-add to email list", and I will add you back. This will take a little time, but I will do my best. Until it is back and normal I will post on Whiteblaze what I would have put in the email.

Kirby

J5man
04-20-2008, 15:53
Hey Kirby, drop me or Hikerhead a pm as you get closer to Roanoke and we will try to coordinate treating you to dinner at The Homeplace when you are in the area. It is on Hwy 311 for your planning purposes. Dragon's Tooth and McFee's Knob trailheads are off Hwy 311.

Ron Haven
04-20-2008, 20:57
Kirby here, I am currently in Pearisburg, VA. I am currently at the Courthouse Cafe, which has the best coffee I have had on the trail thus far, I highly reccommend stopping here. I will make sure it is listed in the 2009 copy of the Appalachian Pages.

I do not have enough time to update my journal, so that will happen in Roanoke, VA, on Friday during my zero.

Tomorrow I shall hike out, not sure how far though.

Pearisburg is a great trail town.

I am switching to T-Mobile as of Saturday evening. If you currently have my cell phone number, please email me and I will pass along my cell phone number the moment I have it.

KirbyKirby,I am proud of you.Good Luck

Kirby
04-23-2008, 20:19
I rolled into Roanoke, Virginia earlier today VIA Route 311, which is the road crossing used by many hikers for Catawba.

My journal is up to date for up to the 16th of April, I shall add the rest tomorrow during my zero.

Life is good on the trail, I am 9 miles south of the 700 mile mark, pretty exciting.

Kirby

Skidsteer
04-23-2008, 21:17
I rolled into Roanoke, Virginia earlier today VIA Route 311, which is the road crossing used by many hikers for Catawba.

My journal is up to date for up to the 16th of April, I shall add the rest tomorrow during my zero.

Life is good on the trail, I am 9 miles south of the 700 mile mark, pretty exciting.

Kirby

Keep rollin' wildman. You're doing great.

Kirby
04-24-2008, 09:00
Journal up to date up to the 20th of April, the rest shall be added later today.

Kirby

Mother's Finest
04-24-2008, 17:16
Kirby For President!

Keep on movin' north.

peace
mf

TOW
04-25-2008, 07:50
I'm staying in touch with your journal.........you are a good writer........

J5man
04-25-2008, 21:24
So Kirby, how did you like the Homeplace?! How many plates of chicken did you eat? How do you like southern cuisine?

Kirby
04-26-2008, 07:58
I enjoyed the Homeplace, I only had one piece of fried chicken though. I mainly had many servings of all the different sides, which were meals in them selves when you put them all together.

Kirby

Red Hat
04-26-2008, 11:23
Love your journal Kirby. Hope to see you as I head SOBO later on.

Bluebearee
05-03-2008, 23:31
He hit Waynesboro today!

camojack
05-04-2008, 08:52
He hit Waynesboro today!
Yay!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/happy096.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

dessertrat
05-04-2008, 14:31
He's really moving! I'll bet he'll have already gone by when I start my two week hike at Pine Knob toward the south end of SNP. (I start on May 21).

Kirby
05-04-2008, 14:48
In Waynesboro at the Tree Streets Inn courtesy of Awol and ATTroll.

I do not think I have enough time to fully update my journal right now, so I might need to wait until later. The entries are written, it is just a matter of posting them.

Kirby

Kirby
05-04-2008, 20:12
Journal up to date.

Good night.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
05-04-2008, 22:52
Congratulations, Kirby. You'll be in Harper's Ferry before you know it! Keep having fun.

Programbo
05-06-2008, 21:11
Kirby is making great progress but I`ve noticed his trail journal entries seem happiest and more in detail when discussing being in towns or upcoming town stops..I`ve not followed many Trail Journals the past few years so perhaps this is the norm?..I always enjoyed Ed Garvey, Collin Fletcher and Eric Ryback (Take him for what you will) type writings where you can follow along and hike the physical hike with them and picture the passing points of interest...Most of the modern AT thru-hike books I`ve read seem to focus more on the personal interactions and life lesson stuff...While I shall continue to follow Kirbys adventures could anyone who might get what I am seeking suggest someones Trail Journal which might be more in the writing style I enjoy?..Thanks

camojack
05-06-2008, 21:36
Kirby is making great progress but I`ve noticed his trail journal entries seem happiest and more in detail when discussing being in towns or upcoming town stops..I`ve not followed many Trail Journals the past few years so perhaps this is the norm?..I always enjoyed Ed Garvey, Collin Fletcher and Eric Ryback (Take him for what you will) type writings where you can follow along and hike the physical hike with them and picture the passing points of interest...Most of the modern AT thru-hike books I`ve read seem to focus more on the personal interactions and life lesson stuff...While I shall continue to follow Kirbys adventures could anyone who might get what I am seeking suggest someones Trail Journal which might be more in the writing style I enjoy?..Thanks
I haven't actually read any trail journals in years; after awhile they all start to seem alike...with certain exceptions.

Here are two I really enjoyed from when I did read 'em:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=1076
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5030

Tin Man
05-06-2008, 21:47
"Then the Hail Came" is a classic...

http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html

Trillium
05-07-2008, 00:21
I haven't actually read any trail journals in years; after awhile they all start to seem alike...with certain exceptions.

Here are two I really enjoyed from when I did read 'em:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=1076
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5030
holy chit. I only read the Prologue from Datto's TJ (meaning only the first entry) and he is some kind of world class writer! I've bookmarked it for further perusal.

camojack
05-07-2008, 01:04
holy chit. I only read the Prologue from Datto's TJ (meaning only the first entry) and he is some kind of world class writer! I've bookmarked it for further perusal.
Indeed. There was a long hiatus before he finally posted the last of it, too. It was torture... :rolleyes:

Blissful
05-07-2008, 14:25
I believe he is also doing the writing as an assigment for school. Hopefully shooting for that A. :)

Kirby
05-13-2008, 11:18
I just rolled into Harper's, time for R and R.

Kirby

A-Train
05-13-2008, 11:54

Kirby

Congrats, you're at the mental halfway point. The 2nd half goes A LOT quicker.

Enjoy HF and the lovely folks at the ATC office.

You've been basically at my exact pace the whole time. Think I rolled in to HF on May 12 (2003).

Enjoy everyday.

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 12:01
Your looking great Kirby. Keep on having fun.

Mrs Baggins
05-13-2008, 12:15

Kirby

Have a burger and a basket of fries at the Secret Six Tavern on their outdoor deck. Then go down the street, down the steps and get a big bowl of ice cream and eat it on the grassy bank across the street.

Jan LiteShoe
05-13-2008, 12:27

Kirby

Hey, Kirby,
You've walked a thousand miles! And survived Virginia.
:sun
You're doing great.
It goes really fast now
(except for muddy Vermont :D)

jersey joe
05-13-2008, 13:46
Congrat's Kirby on getting to Harpers...you are halfway to realizing your goal and dream!!!

RITBlake
05-13-2008, 13:50
Enjoy everyday.

That's the best possible advice you could ever give to a current thru hiker

Blake

Cookerhiker
05-13-2008, 13:54
You go Kirby!! I had hoped to meet you some time in VA or MD but you're too fast.

Blissful
05-13-2008, 14:49
Have a good time! HF is a great town to explore history-wise, esp for school too. Hopefully you can take a few days to enjoy it.

josiblue
05-13-2008, 22:54
great job, keep it up... i was hoping to get to meet you on the trail at some point this year, but life has a way of changing plans.
make the most of every day, you are living the dream
~josi

dessertrat
05-14-2008, 10:11

Kirby

You're way too fast. I will be heading SOBO out of HF for two weeks on Monday morning. I missed you.

Jack Tarlin
05-14-2008, 10:28
Ron Beatty (Shakedown Cruise) here. Kirby still appears regularly in the journals wayyyy ahead of me. Seems to be doing fine and hiking strong. Attaboy Kirby. It was a pleasure to meet you. I can offer a ride to TrailDays & HardCore, but no telling how long those 2 slots will be open. Reply to me directly ASAP at [email protected].

Alligator
05-14-2008, 10:37
Ron Beatty (Shakedown Cruise) here. Kirby still appears regularly in the journals wayyyy ahead of me. Seems to be doing fine and hiking strong. Attaboy Kirby. It was a pleasure to meet you. I can offer a ride to TrailDays & HardCore, but no telling how long those 2 slots will be open. Reply to me directly ASAP at [email protected].
Do Baltimore Jack a favor and log out of that machine.

Kirby
05-14-2008, 10:40
I'm not going to Trail Days, it does not appeal to me right now. I am currently in a tug of war with the state of Maine over getting a new state ID, I lost mine and I cant get things at the PO without one.

I will be leaving town later today, looking forward to PA.

WV has way too many rocks.

Kirby

orangebug
05-14-2008, 10:46
How do you type an evil laugh?

mudhead
05-14-2008, 10:52
I'm not going to Trail Days, it does not appeal to me right now. I am currently in a tug of war with the state of Maine over getting a new state ID, I lost mine and I cant get things at the PO without one.

I will be leaving town later today, looking forward to PA.

Kirby

You will have a time getting picture ID. Try the nearest PA police station for advice. Some states will issue non-driver ID. You will need something to show them, copy of birth certificate, blah, blah. Major frig. Get your Pop involved, too. Good luck.

Mrs Baggins
05-14-2008, 11:05

WVA has too many rocks? Oh Hon, you still have PA ahead of you:eek: And MD ain't too shabby rock wise either. Enjoy that flat level stretch of C&O Canal Trail when you leave town.................:D

Kirby
05-14-2008, 11:19
You will have a time getting picture ID. Try the nearest PA police station for advice. Some states will issue non-driver ID. You will need something to show them, copy of birth certificate, blah, blah. Major frig. Get your Pop involved, too. Good luck.

The state says they will send me a new ID, no problem, its just finding a place in Port Clinton, PA that will hold the envelope for me and let me pick it up without an ID. It's a konumdrum, really, I need and ID so I can retrieve my mail with my ID in it:rolleyes:.

I will update my journal at a later time, I do not have time right now, I might be able to put one entry on, but I doubt it.

Kirby

sofaking
05-14-2008, 11:28
bwaah haa haa haa works for me...

SawnieRobertson
05-14-2008, 13:58

Oh, dear, there's sumpthin about that OB.--Kinnickinic

dessertrat
05-14-2008, 14:03

Can you get it mailed to another hiker who can keep up with you, and have them pick it up for you?

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 14:04
The state says they will send me a new ID, no problem, its just finding a place in Port Clinton, PA that will hold the envelope for me and let me pick it up without an ID. It's a konumdrum, really, I need and ID so I can retrieve my mail with my ID in it:rolleyes:.

I will update my journal at a later time, I do not have time right now, I might be able to put one entry on, but I doubt it.

KirbyAny reasonable post-person would understand that you lost your ID and it is in the envelope. You're asking for the envelope by full name, and they can see the ID after you open it. The postal regulation probably says "must show ID WHEN picking up general delivery blah blah" not "BEFORE".

Shoot, you're already in Harpers Ferry, you finished Virginia without quitting, as long as you continue to have good luck you'll finish. Congratulations!!!!

Blissful
05-14-2008, 14:07

Kirby

I'm trying to do that laugh too.... (PA here we come...)

Really though, take your time and have fun...

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

SawnieRobertson
05-14-2008, 14:07

Kirby

Kirby, you've got lots and lots of friends on this trail. Someone would be delighted to have it sent to you at their address. (Kevin Kirby, c/o __________. ______________, __________, etc. Hmmm. What a great excuse for a quick trip to {Pennsylvania that would be for me, but I'm pretty sure someone else closer to you would receive and deliver it to you. We all loves you, fellow.--Kinnickinic

Blissful
05-14-2008, 14:11
Kirby, you've got lots and lots of friends on this trail. Someone would be delighted to have it sent to you at their address. (Kevin Kirby, c/o __________. ______________, __________, etc. Hmmm. What a great excuse for a quick trip to {Pennsylvania that would be for me, but I'm pretty sure someone else closer to you would receive and deliver it to you. We all loves you, fellow.--Kinnickinic

Maybe Trail Angel Mary in Duncannon?

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 14:15
I'm trying to do that laugh too.... (PA here we come...)

Really though, take your time and have fun...

Oh my, I never noticed the rocks in WV or else forgot them in PA. And Kirby, the PA rocks don't stop when you cross into Jersey.

Blissful
05-14-2008, 14:19
Oh my, I never noticed the rocks in WV or else forgot them in PA. And Kirby, the PA rocks don't stop when you cross into Jersey.

You got that right. And then there's NY where you get to start some mtn goat climbing. Whoosie.

TOW
05-14-2008, 14:30
You want to come to TD's you can have that ID shipped here Kirby......

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 14:35
I thought about this some more: Maine should send a couple of State Patrol officers down with Kirby's ID and some of Karen Baldacci's chocolate-chip cookies. Obviously they don't understand his celebrity.

SawnieRobertson
05-14-2008, 15:46
I thought about this some more: Maine should send a couple of State Patrol officers down with Kirby's ID and some of Karen Baldacci's chocolate-chip cookies. Obviously they don't understand his celebrity.

Hear! Hear!--Kinnickinic

Tin Man
05-14-2008, 17:10
How about shipping it to the Doyle or some other hiker-friendly, non postal, mail drop?

Programbo
05-14-2008, 18:53
I will be leaving town later today, looking forward to PA........WV has way too many rocks.

WV just has the extra rocks that over flowed out of PA...Shame I missed you in HF..I was just up the ATC Headquarters Sunday afternoon...Keep rolling along :)

Kirby
05-16-2008, 06:54
Ahhh... the life of a hiker. I am sitting here at the Free State Hiker Hostel, preparing to march 15 miles to meet my hiking companion. After today I shall no longer be a "Yankee" and the Civil War will no longer be the "war of northern aggression". Today, I cross the Mason-Dixon line.

I had to send it to Port Clinton because of the timing the state gave me for turn around time, I will try to be rational with them.

Enjoy trail days everyone.

Kirby

Red Hat
05-16-2008, 12:50
Nope Kirby, you'll still be a d--- yankee and it will still be the "war of northern agression"... (grin)

Programbo
05-18-2008, 18:40
Just got done reading Kirbys Trail Journal entries for Waynesboro-MD... That boy sure does hate rocks! Did I misread something or did he walk more miles on Skyline Drive than he did on the AT thru SNP?:-?

warren doyle
05-19-2008, 07:38
I am disappointed that this hiker has decided to take 'short cuts' so young in his life. I guess now he will only be able to claim that he has walked most of the Appalachian Trail.

Tin Man
05-19-2008, 08:29
I am disappointed that this hiker has decided to take 'short cuts' so young in his life. I guess now he will only be able to claim that he has walked most of the Appalachian Trail.

Typical Warren bs... :rolleyes:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-19-2008, 08:33
I'm disappointed that some have to be so anal and negative toward Kirby and his achievement - especially fellow elderly people. Times have changed and people instead of organizations define success today - and personally I think the world is a better place because of it.

Go Kirby, Go. This Dino is cheering from afar - and it will always be the war of northern aggression. :D

Mrs Baggins
05-19-2008, 08:55
I'm disappointed that some have to be so anal and negative toward Kirby and his achievement - especially fellow elderly people. Times have changed and people instead of organizations define success today - and personally I think the world is a better place because of it.

Go Kirby, Go. This Dino is cheering from afar - and it will always be the war of northern aggression. :D

Amen Sister! Tell it! :sun

Lacbe
05-19-2008, 14:47
You are a pip. This young man is having an adventure of a lifetime, one of many in his life I'am sure of. You need to crawl back into your van and go to some where south of earth, like maybe hell. You will not be missed.

Hooch
05-19-2008, 15:02
Kirby, I know you've gotten lots of encouragement, and what I have to say may just be a drop in the bucket. But I'll still say what I want to about this. Hike you own hike, do your own thing and don't wory about what others may say. It's your hike and it's fully up to you how to enjoy it. Hike on! :D

HikerRanky
05-19-2008, 15:24
Kirby,

Pay no attention to people that seek to diminish what you have accomplished, and continue to accomplish.... The fact that you are out there hiking is the important part... Savor each and every moment... 30 years from now, you'll remember where you were on the Trail when the seasons change, or it's really raining hard.

Randy

max patch
05-19-2008, 15:29
I hope this does not sound like a criticism of Kirby, because it is not.

The following 2 sentences are from Kirby"s journal:

1. "I am going to hike the Entire Appalachian Trail, Springer To Katahdin for those of you in the know"

2. "After I did a little more research, I was determined to hike the whole trail someday."

Kirby used the terms "Entire" and "Whole."

If hiking the whole, entire trail was his dream then it will not be fulfilled. And if that was his dream then at some point in the time in the future he may very well regret taking the blue blazes rather than staying true to his dream.

Kirby, have a great hike if you read this.

orangebug
05-19-2008, 15:54
Enjoy your hike.

Everyone would do the hike differently from you. Some will feel that you have diminished your hike by violating some self-imposed rule. A few will be amazed that you have already hiked more of the trail than most who aspire to thru-hiking.

Enjoy your hike.

kanga
05-19-2008, 16:07

what are you? MOSTLY a human? that has got to be THE most pompous-a**ed comment of the year. do you really need to be told what you can do with your comment? whatever happened to "hike your own hike"? (screw it, let's all do it warren's way!) let the man have his adventure without your taint.

orangebug
05-19-2008, 16:32
The debate over the purist/slacker aspects of hiking ought to be somewhere other than this kid's thread. If you are really peaved with one or others participating in this thread, consider going with a Private Message.

Let this be Kirby's thread. It really isn't all about us.

Hooch
05-19-2008, 16:46
The debate over the purist/slacker aspects of hiking ought to be somewhere other than this kid's thread. If you are really peaved with one or others participating in this thread, consider going with a Private Message.

Let this be Kirby's thread. It really isn't all about us.Agreed wholeheartedly. If anything, Kirby should be commended for being out there, hiking, and doing what many of his peers would consider an insurmountable task at their age. Other kids his age are home slacking about with videogames and dealing with the other usual teenage distractions, while this kid is out there hiking on day after day. Big thumbs up to Kirby, his sense of adventure, his never say die attitude and his adventure of a lifetime. To his distractors, leave the kid alone.

sheepdog
05-19-2008, 16:53

Let this be Kirby's thread. It really isn't all about us.
Well said. Serenity now...serenity now:):)

jersey joe
05-19-2008, 16:55
Kirby sounds level headed enough to read through the thread and not get upset about a couple people being disappointed in him while the majority are firmly behind him. Let's all not get too upset and give him some credit here.

A-Train
05-19-2008, 17:33
I realize that having a trailjournal and a thread devoted to your hike can/will open you up to possible public criticism, but this is ridiculous. Kirby is doing something amazing from the standpoint that most of his peers could never be as organized and determined to think outside the box and follow through with this endeavor. He is clearly a clear-thinking, bright "kid" and should be commended, not critisized.

Regardless of his age, he's got the right to hike the way he wants. I remember when folks walked the BRP when I hiked. It wasn't for me, but I didn't affect my hike one iota.

One of the (many) reasons I always try to encourage people to try other trails other than the AT, is for reasons such as this. I've only found this degree of purism, skepticism, and elitism on one trail. Ultimately most people don't care what you do with your hike. One of the beautiful things about my hike on the PCT this summer was the alternate routes, which often lead to some of the most exciting memories of the trip.

Blue, White or anything in between, it's all good.

Go Kirby Go!

Roland
05-19-2008, 17:38
Nice post, A-Train.

I don't feel it's my business to tell someone else how to walk. You expressed that quite eloquently.

Dances with Mice
05-19-2008, 17:51
16 year old kid walking from Georgia to Maine catches flack because he's not walking exactly the way someone else walked?

Are you kidding me?

What were the members of this peanut gallery doing at 16?

We all ought to follow in Kirby's footsteps. Not vice versa.

Autumnwind
05-19-2008, 17:57
Wow,
Kirby needs encouragement at this point in his hike and I say Hike Onward..... The best is yet to come Vermont, N.H. and of course Maine. Katahdin is calling his name.
Keep up the hiking Kirby your almost home. Enjoy yourself along the way and be happy. You rock dude!!!!!!!!!!
Still snow on Katahdin so plenty of time to get here enjoy and peace to you.

Appalachian Tater
05-19-2008, 18:00
16 year old kid walking from Georgia to Maine catches flack because he's not walking exactly the way someone else walked?

Are you kidding me?

What were the members of this peanut gallery doing at 16?

We all ought to follow in Kirby's footsteps. Not vice versa.Hear hear.

Skyline Drive is mostly built on top of the original path of the A.T. That's why you are down off the ridgeline criss-crossing the drive if you're on the A.T., missing many of the good views but still having to listen to the ridiculously loud motorcycles.
http://www.nps.gov/shen/historyculture/at.htm

Montego
05-19-2008, 18:09
Kirby, I can't say how humbled I was, meeting you on the C & O Towpath. I agree with what others have said in that you are one of the most level headed, mature, and up-beat people I've ever had the pleasure of talking to. I sincerely hope that the second half of your adventure is as great as the first half has been for you. Congratulations on reaching the psycological half-way point and as you said to me HYOY. :sun

Cookerhiker
05-19-2008, 18:25
Kirby, you keep going and disregard the naysayers (make that naysayer).

A-Train, good post. You always show a lot of wisdom and perspective and of course, you're also a youngster in the eyes of many of us.

Tin Man
05-19-2008, 18:25
It's not the color of the blazes that turns a "kid" into a man,
it's the steps he takes to complete a 2000 mile journey of a lifetime.

Go Kirby!

Mrs Baggins
05-19-2008, 18:58
It's not the color of the blazes that turns a "kid" into a man,
it's the steps he takes to complete a 2000 mile journey of a lifetime.

Go Kirby!

Amen Brother!

Mad Hatter 08
05-19-2008, 19:38
Whoa Kirby, sounds to me like you need to slow down so you don't reach Katahdin before it opens. j/k glad to hear you're still out there, it was an honor to meet you at Neel's and good luck with the rest of your hike.

Programbo
05-19-2008, 19:51
Aww..Poor Kirby..I didn`t mean to stir up any hornets when I mentioned his SNP hiking..I was just being facetious...The trail thru there so closely parallels the Skyline Drive it`s basically the same thing as has been mentioned...I have never considered that a "thru-hike" need follow every single blaze anyway..There are some points where you go off to a shelter at point A and the next morning a different blue blazed trail takes you back to the AT North a bit farther up at point B...It changes all the time anyway..And what do you miss?..Seeing a different set of rocks and trees for a few miles?...It`s more the spirit of being in the Appalachians and that timeless feeling in the air which draws me back time after time....Keep rolling along Kirby and watch out for those rocks!

Tin Man
05-19-2008, 21:11
Aww..Poor Kirby..I didn`t mean to stir up any hornets when I mentioned his SNP hiking..I was just being facetious...The trail thru there so closely parallels the Skyline Drive it`s basically the same thing as has been mentioned...I have never considered that a "thru-hike" need follow every single blaze anyway..There are some points where you go off to a shelter at point A and the next morning a different blue blazed trail takes you back to the AT North a bit farther up at point B...It changes all the time anyway..And what do you miss?..Seeing a different set of rocks and trees for a few miles?...It`s more the spirit of being in the Appalachians and that timeless feeling in the air which draws me back time after time....Keep rolling along Kirby and watch out for those rocks!

You didn't stir nuthin' up. It was the old guy who day hikes the AT and says everyone else is doing it wrong.

Kirby, keep doing it the way real hikers hike or any way you like and keep having fun!

Lost My Mind
05-19-2008, 21:27
Well put A-Train My son is doing a thru hike right now - or rather he is going from Georgia to Miane by primitive means:-?

He has white blazed, blue blazed, and made up blazes!
Green blaze for taking a few days to work on a farm, yellow blazed for taking a week off the trail to visit a city he was invited to that he would have not been to otherwise, aqua blazing the Shannadoah River, Cow blazing, and rainbow blazing for just the fun things they are doing while on the journey to Maine. I don't think there is a memory there he will regret.

So to say Kirby will someday regret taking a blue blaze is crazy. What he might regret is doing what someone else thinks is the best for him in this adventure.

Appalachian Tater
05-19-2008, 21:34
What are cow blazing and rainbow blazing?

warren doyle
05-19-2008, 21:43
Looks like another WhiteBlaze sacred cow syndrome.

Tin Man
05-19-2008, 21:51

I guess you didn't get the memo - this is Kirby's thread - not yours. Take it to your circle thread and ... [fill in the blanks].

Lost My Mind
05-19-2008, 21:57
Descriptions for things that have happened along their hike! They are making it up as they go and having a blast doing so.

I just hope Kirby does the same and takes time to enjoy his accomplishments. He's moving at a pretty fast pace, but after meeting him I'm not surprised. A pretty focused young man and we need to let him hike and offer support and encouragement along the way.

I know there have been a lot of WB folks watching out for him along the way, but it is still his hike. I personally am just here to support and be jealous!

Hooch
05-19-2008, 22:00
I've not been lucky enough to meet Kirby, but if he's having half as much fun as Nest, Cannibal and the rest of their respective crews, then he's having the time of his life!

Tin Man
05-19-2008, 22:03

I have been through fields on the AT where the cows leave their own unique blaze. It makes you look over your shoulder and hope there is no bull coming along to scare the blazes out of you.

I am not sure about rainbow blazes ... or want to know.

Lost My Mind
05-19-2008, 22:36
That's it on the cow blazing! And the bulls were a little closer than they hoped! Thus the end of cow blazing! Rainbow is for all the fun and stupid things that they do. There's a female in the group, she wanted to name some of the blazes, too!

TOW
05-20-2008, 03:45
Who is the other hiker that is a year younger than Kirby? He is right behind Kirby, I met him at TD's.

Heater
05-20-2008, 04:28

I guess you didn't get the memo - this is Kirby's thread - not yours. Take it to your circle thread and ... [fill in the blanks].

Jerk it? :D

Tin Man
05-20-2008, 07:07
Jerk it? :D

Now, now, I didn't to literally mean to "fill in the blanks", besides I think everyone knows that anyway. :D

Hooch
05-20-2008, 07:44
Now, now, I didn't to literally mean to "fill in the blanks", besides I think everyone knows that anyway. :D:eek:Oh no you didn't!:eek:

Programbo
05-20-2008, 07:49
I am not sure about rainbow blazes ... or want to know.

Unless part of the trail runs thru the Castro District of San Francisco I don`t have a further guess :p

Dances with Mice
05-20-2008, 07:51
Looks like another WhiteBlaze sacred cow syndrome.Indeed it is. Should someone dare to take one step off the sacred cow trail and all the heifers come mooing.

Kirby
05-20-2008, 12:16
I am sitting here at The Doyle in Duncannon. The rocks have made their presence known, and the bottoms of my feet are starting to feel it.

Yes, I road walked in SNP, and I don't regret it one bit. All the good views I had in SNP were on the road, and I met a lot of tourists, which was a nice change of pace. If you want to get really technical about it, I was being an ultra purists by doing some road walking, seeing as SD was the original route for the trail. So in essence I was walking what the creators wanted me to walk.

It seems someone has something against me hiking my own hike, which humors me dearly.I still plan to apply for that patch when this deed is done.

Seeing as this is a community computer, I will not update my journal here, I might if no one is using it later.

Well, time to complete town chores, it is once again raining, and I once again have pruned feet.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
05-20-2008, 12:34
I am sitting here at The Doyle in Duncannon. The rocks have made their presence known, and the bottoms of my feet are starting to feel it.

Yes, I road walked in SNP, and I don't regret it one bit. All the good views I had in SNP were on the road, and I met a lot of tourists, which was a nice change of pace. If you want to get really technical about it, I was being an ultra purists by doing some road walking, seeing as SD was the original route for the trail. So in essence I was walking what the creators wanted me to walk.

It seems someone has something against me hiking my own hike, which humors me dearly.I still plan to apply for that patch when this deed is done.

Seeing as this is a community computer, I will not update my journal here, I might if no one is using it later.

Well, time to complete town chores, it is once again raining, and I once again have pruned feet.

Kirby

you're a leader. a free thinker, not a sheeple like most.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-20-2008, 12:43
::: Dino curls a healing tail around Kirby and gifts his prune feet with healing grand-dino kisses :::

warren doyle
05-20-2008, 12:43
Interesting rationalization.
I wonder what the ATC will do when you apply for that patch?

If the Virginia Creeper Trail was the original route of the AT there sure would have been many AT hikers killed by the train.

Does it say 'footpath' on the plaque at Springer?

Dances with Mice
05-20-2008, 12:52
I wonder what the ATC will do when you apply for that patch?You're assuming he will. But let's say he does....

How many applications have been rejected by the ATC?

DesertMTB
05-20-2008, 12:56
Is it just me or does Warren Doyle really seem like a pompous jerk?

orangebug
05-20-2008, 12:57
Nah, just a curmudgeon.

Let it go. This is Kirby's thread.

sofaking
05-20-2008, 12:58
Is it just me or does Warren Doyle really seem like a pompous jerk?
i agree with him on this .

Hooch
05-20-2008, 13:02
Is it just me or does Warren Doyle really seem like a pompous jerk?http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs043.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-20-2008, 13:04
This is Kirby's thread.... we can take up the subject of who is the biggest pompous arse in another thread?

Personally, I think anyone who hikes from GA to ME is a thru-hiker regardless of what blue blazes or alternative trails / roadwalks they used while doing it, but my opinion isn't what determines eligibility for the ATC patch. Krby, when you finish you will be a thru in my eyes - and in the eyes of most hikers - regardless of what the ATC says. Don't let a handful of anal naysayers spoil one second of your hike.

Tin Man
05-20-2008, 13:04

corialice81
05-20-2008, 13:08
Kirby,

Soak your feet in epsom salt mixed with vinegar and that should help with some of the soreness. Also, on the trail...take a gallon ziplock bag and some epsom salt and soak your feet when you stop for the day. That should help combat the soreness!

You rock Kirby! (get it :p)

Mother's Finest
05-20-2008, 13:18
wow Kirby,

tremendous progress.

I am going to miss you on your pass thru PA. Memorial Day weekend means the beach for me.

keep on moving your way.

$*&# the doubters and naysayers.

peace
mf

Kirby
05-20-2008, 13:39
I would certainly love to be sitting at the beach right now under 80 degree heat.

Duncannon strikes me as a town that's going through economic hardship, but that's just my observation.

Thanks for the info Corialice81, I will try that.

I am going to look into ankle braces to help my ankles survive the rocks.

Kirby

corialice81
05-20-2008, 13:41
No worries Kirby...Big Shanty (you probably don't know him) passed that wonderful advice on to me. Adding the vinegar to the salt/water bath seems to increase the heat (so sort of exothermic reaction i think) and your feet feel amazing afterwards. This is from personal experience.

MoodyBluer
05-20-2008, 13:44
Who is the other hiker that is a year younger than Kirby? He is right behind Kirby, I met him at TD's.

A little off topic here, but on my section hike two weeks ago from Winding Stair to the NOC (before Plantar Faciitis flared up 7 miles into the Hike; had to bail at Wayah Gap) I met a young mother and daughter that were thruing...the daughter was about 10-11 years old IIRC and they were strong hikers, I think the mother was Pearl and the daughter was Audrey or somethng like that.

Ron Haven probably remembers them as they stayed at Budget Inn before hiking with me.

They said they weren't journaling; too bad, I would have liked to follow their progress...rare to have a mother with a daughter that young out there.

Blissful
05-20-2008, 13:50
Hate to say it but the rocks get a whole lot worse...you haven't really gotten to them yet...

If you're feet hurt a lot, might consider a day or two off to give them a rest. You dont want to get into plantar fascitis or something that takes you off permanently. We rested for five days once we got to NY and glad we did. Also, check your insoles. You can buy a new pair at Port Clinton at Cabelas.

Mother's Finest
05-20-2008, 13:51
No worries Kirby...Big Shanty (you probably don't know him) passed that wonderful advice on to me. Adding the vinegar to the salt/water bath seems to increase the heat (so sort of exothermic reaction i think) and your feet feel amazing afterwards. This is from personal experience.

wow corialice81......Me, Johnny Thunder, Matthewski and Panzer met Big Shanty last year near the 309 crossing in PA. Matthewski cooked him a steak on his stove.
cool and calm dude Big Shanty was.

Heck Kirby, if it was ok with my wife, I would invite you down to the beach for the weekend. But it wouldn't be ok with her. She likes our vacations to be about us......

rock on brother

peace
mf

Mrs Baggins
05-20-2008, 14:04
I would certainly love to be sitting at the beach right now under 80 degree heat.

Duncannon strikes me as a town that's going through economic hardship, but that's just my observation.

Thanks for the info Corialice81, I will try that.

I am going to look into ankle braces to help my ankles survive the rocks.

Kirby

My two cents worth -- I wear a high cut full leather boot (Hi Tec Altitude IV) rather than the much more popular and "fashionable" low cut trail runner shoe. Those boots have saved my ankles again and again and the thicker tougher soles keep my feet from getting beat up. I have very flat feet and collapsing arches so I "built" my own insoles to support them and they've worked out fantastically well.

Flush2wice
05-20-2008, 14:07
I usually encourage hikers to blue blaze the first chance they get. That liberates them from trail slavery and allows them to enjoy their hike.
In my experience, most of the "purists" drop out because they are focused on the destination. They can't wait to finish. (I said most, not all) The "free thinkers" finish more often because they enjoy the trail on a day to day basis.
There is nothing wrong with hiking within 3 feet of every white blaze in order to say you did it, but I usually suggest people do their "pure" hike for the 2nd time. The 1st one is for fun, 2nd one for following arbitrary rules. (Incidentally, the ATC used to only count thru hikes when the hiker passed within 6 feet of each blaze in proper order. Now it's 3 feet. They are considering requiring future hikers to actually touch each blaze as they pass. Trail maintanance clubs will be required to # each blaze chronologically starting in 2010.)
Good luck Kirby! Don't have too many of those 25 cent root beers.

Blissful
05-20-2008, 14:08
You know I thought higher hikers would help. But I found trail runners to be very good on the PA rocks as I could get around them easier (my ankles were not giving me problems though). Where I could have used boots is in the Whites on the scree when the rocks are bigger.

I also recommend trekking poles for stability. They helped me avoid ankle problems time and time again

max patch
05-20-2008, 14:09
I usually encourage hikers to blue blaze the first chance they get. That liberates them from trail slavery and allows them to enjoy their hike.
In my experience, most of the "purists" drop out because they are focused on the destination. They can't wait to finish. (I said most, not all) The "free thinkers" finish more often because they enjoy the trail on a day to day basis.
There is nothing wrong with hiking within 3 feet of every white blaze in order to say you did it, but I usually suggest people do their "pure" hike for the 2nd time. The 1st one is for fun, 2nd one for following arbitrary rules. (Incidentally, the ATC used to only count thru hikes when the hiker passed within 6 feet of each blaze in proper order. Now it's 3 feet. They are considering requiring future hikers to actually touch each blaze as they pass. Trail maintanance clubs will be required to # each blaze chronologically starting in 2010.)
Good luck Kirby! Don't have too many of those 25 cent root beers.

Thats the biggest, smelliest load of crap I've read in a long time.

Hooch
05-20-2008, 14:11
......the ATC......they are considering requiring future hikers to actually touch each blaze as they pass. Trail maintanance clubs will be required to # each blaze chronologically starting in 2010.
You gotta be friggin kidding me! :eek:

sofaking
we can gps 'em like radio collared aminals, and they can get a 'confirmation shock' as they pass each blaze...i'd like to volunteer with the capture and tagging process.

Hooch
Thats the biggest, smelliest load of crap I've read in a long time.Thank goodness. :D

jesse
05-20-2008, 14:25
HYOH. Blue blaze, yellow blaze, go around mountains, road walk, doesn't matter. However, honesty and integrity do matter. If you don't follow the white blazed Appalachian Trail all the way, you should not apply for the patch.

DesertMTB
05-20-2008, 15:14
HYOH. Blue blaze, yellow blaze, go around mountains, road walk, doesn't matter. However, honesty and integrity do matter. If you don't follow the white blazed Appalachian Trail all the way, you should not apply for the patch.

who cares about a gay little patch anyways

ki0eh
05-20-2008, 15:26
Waiting to hear the time in the half-gallon challenge (so far saw buying pizza the day before, doesn't sound good...)

Flush2wice
05-20-2008, 15:55
Thats the biggest, smelliest load of crap I've read in a long time.
What is?

Lone Wolf
05-20-2008, 15:56

you don't have to "apply" for a patch. you can just buy them

max patch
05-20-2008, 16:16
you don't have to "apply" for a patch. you can just buy them

ATC only sells them to 2000 milers, although I suppose someone could lie about their status when ordering. Just as they could lie on their application for 2000 miler status.

A-Train
05-20-2008, 16:20

How do you know the patch is homosexual?

Kirby
05-20-2008, 17:30
It took me 15 minutes to consume the half gallon of ice cream.

You don't have to be a 2,000 miler to buy the patch, my hiking companion bought one in advance and sent it home.

Slowly working on journal.

Kirby

Programbo
05-20-2008, 17:53
I am sitting here at The Doyle in Duncannon.

Congrats..Duncannon is where I had to give up on my 77' thru attempt due to lack of funds..But considering I made it from Springer to there on just $250 I consider that an accomplishment:)....Of course in 1977 Duncannon still wasn`t even the halfway point!

Skyline
05-20-2008, 17:55

My ATC patch isn't rainbow colored.

My gay patch is.;)

Programbo
05-20-2008, 17:58
If you don't follow the white blazed Appalachian Trail all the way, you should not apply for the patch.

Hmmm..Suppose they give you an "alternate route" which is a blue blazed trail?...At one point in MD you come to a split and the signs both read "AT- North" except one is an "alternate route" so you can go past a view..They rejoin later..It`s not a side trail it`s an alternate direction and is marked as the "AT North"...Actually the blue blazed "alternate route" follows the original AT and the white blazed route is the newer shorter section

Lone Wolf
05-20-2008, 18:31
ATC only sells them to 2000 milers, although I suppose someone could lie about their status when ordering. Just as they could lie on their application for 2000 miler status.

which means who gives a ****! just hike

rickb
05-20-2008, 19:04
I hope this does not sound like a criticism of Kirby, because it is not.

The following 2 sentences are from Kirby"s journal:

1. "I am going to hike the Entire Appalachian Trail, Springer To Katahdin for those of you in the know"

2. "After I did a little more research, I was determined to hike the whole trail someday."

Kirby used the terms "Entire" and "Whole."

If hiking the whole, entire trail was his dream then it will not be fulfilled. And if that was his dream then at some point in the time in the future he may very well regret taking the blue blazes rather than staying true to his dream.

Kirby, have a great hike if you read this.

If Kirby reaches Katahdin without having walked by all the white blazes, he will be in good company. Earl Shaffer reported to the ATC that he missed a whole bunch on his first thru hike. You know, the one that EVERYONE* acknowledges first made him a "2,000 Miler".

He missed the AT in a very well trod section, BTW. According to his report to the ATC, he failed to have his maps mailed in a timely fashion. Oh, well. Stuff happens.

Later in life, Benton MacKaye reafirmed that the Appalachian Trail should be considered a corridor. Not in the context of an award, but for more noble reasons. He said "The Appalachian Trail is a wilderness strip; it could be very wide–several miles wide–if possible. It is not a trailway." Oh, well. Others know better.

The ATC should get out of the "2000-Miler Business". Once they do, so will a lot of other people.

Good luck, Kirby. To thine own self be true.

* Including WD, me thinks.

weary
05-20-2008, 22:34
If Kirby reaches Katahdin without having walked by all the white blazes, he will be in good company. Earl Shaffer reported to the ATC that he missed a whole bunch on his first thru hike. You know, the one that EVERYONE* acknowledges first made him a "2,000 Miler".

He missed the AT in a very well trod section, BTW. According to his report to the ATC, he failed to have his maps mailed in a timely fashion. Oh, well. Stuff happens.

Later in life, Benton MacKaye reafirmed that the Appalachian Trail should be considered a corridor. Not in the context of an award, but for more noble reasons. He said "The Appalachian Trail is a wilderness strip; it could be very wide–several miles wide–if possible. It is not a trailway." Oh, well. Others know better.

The ATC should get out of the "2000-Miler Business". Once they do, so will a lot of other people.

Good luck, Kirby. To thine own self be true.

* Including WD, me thinks.
Come on Rick. I'm purer than most. But if Kirby decides to take a blue blaze trail to a shelter or campsite and another blue blaze back to the trail, I say go for it. Same with scenic overlooks.

The legitimate question is not these short parallel trails -- or longer parallel trails for that matter. But rather whether people make a "reasonable" effort to hike the 'entire" trail!

Weary

jesse
05-21-2008, 00:14
Hmmm..Suppose they give you an "alternate route" which is a blue blazed trail?...At one point in MD you come to a split and the signs both read "AT- North" except one is an "alternate route" so you can go past a view..They rejoin later..It`s not a side trail it`s an alternate direction and is marked as the "AT North"...Actually the blue blazed "alternate route" follows the original AT and the white blazed route is the newer shorter section

Why are you asking me? I'm not the hiking police. The ATC sets the rules, and everyone is on the honor system. All I said was honesty matters. What route you take doesn't.

josiblue
05-21-2008, 00:52
keep it up kirby, we are all cheering for you. if you do get ankle braces, make sure you don't get the sock-like ones with cotton in them, besides the obvious cotton related problems, they will stink to high heaven (i know this from years of wearing them playing youth sports)...
great job so far, be safe, have fun, and hyoh
~josi