PDA

View Full Version : Where's Kirby?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

jersey joe
05-21-2008, 07:33
It took me 15 minutes to consume the half gallon of ice cream.
Kirby
15 minutes??? that's fast! It took me 35 mins.

warren doyle
05-21-2008, 07:53
Come on Rick. I'm purer than most. But if Kirby decides to take a blue blaze trail to a shelter or campsite and another blue blaze back to the trail, I say go for it. Same with scenic overlooks.

The legitimate question is not these short parallel trails -- or longer parallel trails for that matter. But rather whether people make a "reasonable" effort to hike the 'entire" trail!

Weary

I don't think the Skyline Drive would be considered a parallel Trail and I believe that neither would the NPS/ATC.

Based on the information reported by Kirby himself on at least two public forums (Trail Journals and White Blaze), it appears this young man has changed his original objective of walking the entire Appalachian Trail to walking from Springer to Katahdin, while sometimes using alternate routes (i.e. trails, roads) that he feels are appropriate.

Hooch
05-21-2008, 07:59
Based on the information reported by Kirby himself on at least two public forums (Trail Journals and White Blaze), it appears this young man has changed his original objective of walking the entire Appalachian Trail to walking from Springer to Katahdin, while sometimes using alternate routes (i.e. trails, roads) that he feels are appropriate.Which is his prerogative if he so chooses, since it's his hike.

camojack
05-21-2008, 08:01
I don't think the Skyline Drive would be considered a parallel Trail and I believe that neither would the NPS/ATC.
In point of fact, Skyline Drive was the original route of the A.T.

So, by one definition of "purist", it's the only way to go...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-21-2008, 08:46
Warren, you may have AT knowledge, but no one would know it from what you post here. If you want to be acknowledged as a fount of knowledge, behave like one and share that knowledge with others. The only thing you are proving by the way you post is that you are a cantankerous man who loves to demean others to make himself look more worthy.

Other posters are telling you over and over that they are tired of your nonsense. You will never get any respect by doing what you are currently doing. One working definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Skidsteer
05-21-2008, 08:48
Knock it off, Warren.

Mrs Baggins
05-21-2008, 08:53
So........why did my post disappear? I know it was up because I got a PM reply to it (that was complimenting me on my response to WD) and now the post is gone. :confused:

max patch
05-21-2008, 08:54

Based on the information reported by Kirby himself on at least two public forums (Trail Journals and White Blaze), it appears this young man has changed his original objective of walking the entire Appalachian Trail to walking from Springer to Katahdin, while sometimes using alternate routes (i.e. trails, roads) that he feels are appropriate.

What Warren states here is 100% factually correct and is in no way critical of Kirby.

Warren does not deserve to be admonished or told to shut up by anyone because of these comments.

Skidsteer
05-21-2008, 09:00
So........why did my post disappear? I know it was up because I got a PM reply to it (that was complimenting me on my response to WD) and now the post is gone. :confused:

Collateral damage while trying to clean up the mess.

TOW
05-21-2008, 09:06
I think Warren is offering some objective thought for Kirby.

I know Warren comes across as a pompous ass sometimes but I think we need to let Kirby and him entertwine with each others thought process if they so choose on this thread.

So therefore I think it is best to let Kirby make up his own mind about his own hike and whether he wants to communicate with Warren, or if he wants to tell Warren to shut up. But let him do it.

orangebug
05-21-2008, 09:32
15 minutes??? that's fast! It took me 35 mins.I wonder how quickly it "returned".
:eek:

jersey joe
05-21-2008, 09:41
I wonder how quickly it "returned".
:eek:
Actually I thought eating a half gallon of ice cream would put me out of commission for a while, but it was surprisingly easy to digest and continue hiking afterward. MUCH easier than 7 slices of pizza...that nearly killed me on my hike out of Harpers Ferry...

max patch
05-21-2008, 09:42
15 minutes??? that's fast! It took me 35 mins.

36 minutes here. the best time for the year to date when I was there (7/18) was 16 minutes, so yeah, 15 is flying.

Tin Man
05-21-2008, 09:49
I think Warren is offering some objective thought for Kirby.

I know Warren comes across as a pompous ass sometimes but I think we need to let Kirby and him entertwine with each others thought process if they so choose on this thread.

So therefore I think it is best to let Kirby make up his own mind about his own hike and whether he wants to communicate with Warren, or if he wants to tell Warren to shut up. But let him do it.

That's nice, but Kirby already made his position clear and yet Warren continues with his bs.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=627025&postcount=460

sofaking
05-21-2008, 10:07
What Warren states here is 100% factually correct and is in no way critical of Kirby.

Warren does not deserve to be admonished or told to shut up by anyone because of these comments.
again, i agree with him...

Jack Tarlin
05-21-2008, 10:56
Kirby:

Hike where you like, and like where you hike.

Good to hear from you, have a great trip!! :D

rickb
05-21-2008, 11:10

Benton Makaye observed in the late 60s that the Appalacian Trail is not a treadway, but rather a corridor.

Was he right?

Not sure. For some the answer to that question will be found in the text of a Congressional Act. For others the answer will need to be defined by Federal Agencies and formal organizations.

For still others the truth of Benton Makaye's observation needs to be found on another level. I respect that. Benton MaKaye might have articulated real truth. Others could care less, and that's OK too.

As for the documents that the ATC requires one to sign to get listed as a 2000 miler, that's a whole other thing. Some people need the approbation of the system, and others don't.

To each his own.

the goat
05-21-2008, 11:31
blue-blaze hikin' is the only way to go.

"purist" hiking is but one symptom of a weak mind.

mudhead
05-21-2008, 12:14
Sure, but he didn't pick the flavor of ice cream he should have.

Kirby
05-21-2008, 12:50
They did not have many flavors of ice cream available, I was limited in my choices.

Nice to hear from you Jack, glad you took no hard feelings away from our "clash" over the Appalachian Pages.

Sitting here in the Doyle, forced to take a zero due to food poisoning(not from the Doyle, some pizza joint). I hope to hike out tomorrow, it has been a miserable experience.

I will continue to hike my own hike.

Cookie, my hiking companion, said he will slow down to let me catch up. I hope to catch him within 2-3 days.

Nap time.

Kirby

Blissful
05-21-2008, 13:09
Sorry to hear that but probably a blessing in disguise with your ankle / feet issue.

Take care.

ChinMusic
05-21-2008, 13:36
Sitting here in the Doyle, forced to take a zero due to food poisoning(not from the Doyle, some pizza joint). I hope to hike out tomorrow, it has been a miserable experience.

I am the proverbial "Canary in the Coal Mine" when it comes to food poisoning. Been there, done that, far too many times.

Day 1: Want to die
Day 2: Happy to be alive but weak
Day 3: Ready to take on the world

Like Blissful said, could be a blessing for your feet.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-21-2008, 14:10
::: :( Dino seen wrapping a healing tail around Kirby and giving him sips of watered-down gatorade :::

Creek Dancer
05-21-2008, 14:35
Kirby, if the symptoms persist, you might want to get checked for giardiasis.

Hope you will be feeling better soon so that you may continue your adventure.

Kirby
05-21-2008, 15:52
I am feeling a whole lot better, I am about to buy some chicken noodle soup, and I shall walk 11 miles tomorrow and get to the shelter early enough tomorrow to relax some more. I have changed my plans so I am meeting someone Tuesday instead of Sunday.

Thanks for the advice Creek Dancer, if my condition worsens tomorrow I will see a doctor for that.

Kirby

camojack
05-21-2008, 18:41
...Kirby already made his position clear and yet Warren continues with his bs.
As I was saying:

If you want to get really technical about it, I was being an ultra purist by doing some road walking, seeing as SD was the original route for the trail. So in essence I was walking what the creators wanted me to walk.

Mad Hatter 08
05-21-2008, 19:31
Hey kirby did cookie stay at the cabins at neel's gap the night of the hiker bash? If so tell him Mad Hatter says hi for me.

TOW
05-21-2008, 19:53
That's nice, but Kirby already made his position clear and yet Warren continues with his bs.

Well just for the record when I hike I am whiteblazing, blueblazing, yellowblazing, a little aquablazing, and I have done some pinkblazing as well.

Besides rules are made to be broken and I love breaking them.......

Hooch
05-21-2008, 20:13
Well just for the record when I hike......I have done some pinkblazing......TOW, how could you? :eek::rolleyes:

camojack
05-21-2008, 20:17
TOW, how could you? :eek::rolleyes:
Need instructions? ;)

Hooch
05-21-2008, 20:17
Need instructions? ;)Touche'!

camojack
05-21-2008, 20:23
Touche'!
Just tryin' to help... :rolleyes:

Hooch
05-21-2008, 20:26
Just tryin' to help... :rolleyes:Thanks (?) :D

Tin Man
05-21-2008, 20:26
Well just for the record when I hike I am whiteblazing, blueblazing, yellowblazing, a little aquablazing, and I have done some pinkblazing as well.

Besides rules are made to be broken and I love breaking them.......

My favorite blaze is the one between Suds 'n Duds. ;)

Programbo
05-21-2008, 23:25
Sorry to hear that but probably a blessing in disguise with your ankle / feet issue.

I`m sure going Waynesboro-Duncannon in like 13-14 days didn`t help his feet either :eek:

Fannypack
05-22-2008, 05:39
I am feeling a whole lot better, I am about to buy some chicken noodle soup, and I shall walk 11 miles tomorrow and get to the shelter early enough tomorrow to relax some more. I have changed my plans so I am meeting someone Tuesday instead of Sunday.

Thanks for the advice Creek Dancer, if my condition worsens tomorrow I will see a doctor for that.

Kirby
just for the record, the section between Peters Mtn Shelter & Wm Penn Shelter is fairly easy, so easy this section can be done in one day. Leave early (6:30am) and hike till dark. NOTE: when going under I-81 it is easy to miss the trail breaking off to the left up the hill (that it is how it was in 1996). Enjoy.

Jack Tarlin
05-22-2008, 09:54
Um, friendly note to moderator:

One of my recent posts was deleted......it was to the effect that anyone who has spent most of his career hiking on the Appalachian Trail with a motor vehicle as a vital trip accessory should probably not spend much time publicly criticizing how other folks are hiking. You see, most long-distance backpackers don't feel this compelling need to travel with vans or cars. There's nothing wrong with pointing this out.

I think thought this was a valid comment the first time I posted.

And I still do.

I think it's kind of funny that posts like #508 which say "So and so is factually correct!" are allowed to stay. Posts like mine that say "So and so is unctuous, pompous, and arrogant" are zapped.

Whazzup with this?

In any case, Kirby should continue hiking as he pleases, and he doesn't need any self-apointed Trail elders or experts telling him otherwise. This thread is about where Kirby is and how he's doing. People that feel the need to bitch him out about how he's hiking should do this somewhere else.

Alligator
05-22-2008, 10:00
Friendly note to Jack. Skids took care of those, but I don't think he is in right now. If you believe that a violation of the TOS has occurred, it is best handled through PM.

If a user believes a violation of WhiteBlaze Rules has occurred, they should advise a Moderator or Administrator by a Private Message (“PM”) with a link, if possible, to the post in question. If it is a post you want to refer to them please click on the report post icon in the post in question.

Jack Tarlin
05-22-2008, 10:07
I'm not that bothered, just curious. When posts like "So and so is absolutely right!" and posts like "So and so is absolutely wrong!" are treated differently, one is entitled to wonder why.

Alligator
05-22-2008, 10:13
I'm not that bothered, just curious. When posts like "So and so is absolutely right!" and posts like "So and so is absolutely wrong!" are treated differently, one is entitled to wonder why.Like I said, Skids handled it and the best way to do that is through PM:).

Hooch
05-22-2008, 10:17
Jack, I think your post may have gone the way of Baggins'. It was probably collateral damage from where Skids cleaned up after I referred to WD as something not very nice that he deserved. :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
05-22-2008, 10:17
Couldn't agree more.

A PM to me explaining why my post was inappropriate would've been very gracious. :D

Alligator
05-22-2008, 10:21
Couldn't agree more.

A PM to me explaining why my post was inappropriate would've been very gracious. :DGet over it Jack, you are not going to get a PM every time you are moderated. Skids was on his way out the door when it happened. There were several people who violated the TOS and he is not going to pen separate PM's to everyone involved.

Alligator
05-22-2008, 10:23
Jack, I think your post may have gone the way of Baggins'. It was probably collateral damage from where Skids cleaned up after I referred to WD as something not very nice that he deserved. :rolleyes:Much better choice;).

Jack Tarlin
05-22-2008, 10:27
Lighten up Gator. Please note the big green smily face in my above post, which generally indicates a tongue-in-cheek comment.

I.e., a joke, a comment not to be taken over seriosuly.

Sorry you missed it.

:D :D :D

Gee, dod you catch those?

Alligator
05-22-2008, 10:33
Lighten up Gator. Please note the big green smily face in my above post, which generally indicates a tongue-in-cheek comment.

I.e., a joke, a comment not to be taken over seriosuly.

Sorry you missed it.

:D :D :D

Gee, dod you catch those?OK, I did miss it:p. (But we have gotten that request in the past.)

warren doyle
05-22-2008, 11:27
And the beat goes on....

StarLyte
05-22-2008, 11:46
Dearest Kirby,

I respect you for making the decision to thru-hike.

Use your own conscience when making short-cut decisions.

If you consider taking any other blaze besides the A.T.'s white blazes or "alternative" trails, routes to complete your hike, then you have not thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail.

If you feel you cannot complete a certain portion, then there are many alternatives: click here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.848729/k.6FA1/Alternative_Itineraries.htm)

Good luck to you, and I hope you make the right decision(s) in your heart.

If at any time you feel the need to speak with someone about your decisions, why not phone the ATC? Here are a few phone numbers:

Harpers Ferry office: 304.535.6331
Mid-Atlantic Office in Boiling Springs: 717.258.5771

Mags
05-22-2008, 11:59
If you consider taking any other blaze besides the A.T.'s white blazes or "alternative" trails, routes to complete your hike, then you have not thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail.

If you feel you cannot complete a certain portion, then there are many alternatives: click here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.848729/k.6FA1/Alternative_Itineraries.htm)

I slightly disagree. Write the ATC at the end of your hike, tell them what you have done and then let them decide if you qualify for the rocker. In the past, people have written them about their alternative paths and still received the rocker.

If the ATC thinks it is valid, it is good enough for me. :)

Cookerhiker
05-22-2008, 12:02
I slightly disagree. Write the ATC at the end of your hike, tell them what you have done and then let them decide if you qualify for the rocker. In the past, people have written them about their alternative paths and still received the rocker.

I did that with the Green Mountain Club re my Long Trail hike last summer. I blue-blazed by using the original LT/AT which crosses Rt. 4 in front of the LT Inn. I told them about it in my cover letter so it was obvious. They still sent me the patch.

RITBlake
05-22-2008, 12:07
Dearest Kirby,

Give me a break. Kirby, call me after your thru hike, I'll give you my patch, you will have earned it. I keep mine in a drawer. I mean we are talking about a hiking patch here people. This is not a purple heart.

mudhead
05-22-2008, 12:09
But he did choose the wrong flavor of ice cream.

Creek Dancer
05-22-2008, 12:35
Give the kid a break people. What difference does it make to you what choices he makes? :-?

jesse
05-22-2008, 12:57

This post is right on!!! Kirby should HYOH, and be honest and straight forward when he applies for the patch.

RITB,
I mean we are talking about a hiking patch here people. This is not a purple heart. No its not, but a persons integrity is a big deal.

CD,
Give the kid a break people. What difference does it make to you what choices he makes? The choice of trails should make no difference to anybody. The choice to be less than honest on the ATC form should be a big deal to Kirby, and his parents. I think its irresponsible for adults to encourage minors to not be truthful.

SL.
If at any time you feel the need to speak with someone about your decisions, why not phone the ATC? Here are a few phone numbers He's already made it clear he intends to HYOH. Be kinda dumb to call ATC for approval.

Go KIrby!!!!! hope you get over your stomach problems and foot problems.

Mags
05-22-2008, 13:05
Personally, I think of the AT (and other trails) as a corridor.

A way to get to points A,B,C and so on.

The more I hike, the less important an "official" trail seems to be.

YMMV.

StarLyte
05-22-2008, 13:40
Kirby has hiked his OWN hike, but a "hike" it was.

I suppose my definition of a thru-hike is much different than some of you.

I have no intention of hurting Kirby's feelings. I respect Kirby. He appears to be an honest person, and I like that.

I am sure there are deviations and exceptions approved by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. And I'm sure after this thread, they'll have a long line of people asking for a patch.

But I ask you, what has Kirby learned from a handful of you here that are teaching him and OTHERS that it is okay to shortcut, blue blaze, or whatever means to bypass the A.T.?

You are saying that it is okay?

I really can't believe what I'm reading, and I don't belong here.

Mrs Baggins
05-22-2008, 13:43
Jack, I think your post may have gone the way of Baggins'. It was probably collateral damage from where Skids cleaned up after I referred to WD as something not very nice that he deserved. :rolleyes:

Sigh. :( It's MRS. Baggins, not "Baggins". It's my name and there's a reason for it and a history behind it and I'd like to keep it in tact. :D

Mags
05-22-2008, 13:54
K

Yes I am.

It is how it is done and accepted on other trails. It is apparently how it is unofficially done on the AT. (Again, if the ATC agrees..who am I argue? :D)

I think the whole purpose of hiking is as Benton Mackaye put it "To Walk. To see. To see what you see."

Anything else is merely details.

emerald
05-22-2008, 14:18
Personally, I think of the AT (and other trails) as a corridor.

The more I hike, the less important an "official" trail seems to be.

YMMV.

I suppose my definition of a thru-hike is much different than some of you.

I find it interesting Starlyte can post essentially what Warren can, but is treated differently. FWIW, I agree, either you hiked the AT or you didn't.

ATC decides whether someone qualifies for a certificate and patch. I don't care one way or the other what ATC decides, but think people should be honest about what they've done and haven't. They should also think about what they value beforehand.

In The Thruhiking Papers, this issue is referred to as one's personal contract, which can be renegotiated, but one should understand when one does so and its consequences.

Cookerhiker
05-22-2008, 14:32
It seems that this thread which was entitled "Where's Kirby" has evolved/morphed into a debate over what constitutes an AT thru-hike and all the requisite arguments about HYOH, honesty, corridor vs. strict white blazes, Benton MacKaye's "original intent" ad infinitim. Those issues have been debated before on other threads and will probably be hashed over in threads yet to come.

Not that there's no merit or cause for a debate - I think both (or more than 2) sides have made good points. The subject is valid. But discussing it on this thread personalizes it on one hiker (Kirby) when truth is scores of "thru-hikers" have, by their own or others' admissions, skipped some white blazes.

And Kirby didn't ask for this. So let's take the discussion elsewhere.

Go Kirby!

RITBlake
05-22-2008, 14:44
But I ask you, what has Kirby learned from a handful of you here that are teaching him and OTHERS that it is okay to shortcut, blue blaze, or whatever means to bypass the A.T.?

What has he learned? He's probably learned that a thru hike was never intended to be a extremely regimented, documented, and scrutinized process. It's about the spontaneous adventure of walking through the mountains and the experience of it all. He's probably learned that there's much more to life then following some fabricated standard of what is and what is not a thru hike. It's not about passing every single white blaze or never taking side paths.

What's wrong w/ taking a blue blaze or a shortcut? Sometimes the greatest rewards on trail come from going off the beaten path.

Hike any other trail in the United States and you'll see that your mentality about a rigid, documented, pass every blaze thru hike doesn't exist. People on other trails just don't care. They're too busy enjoying the walk.

Dances with Mice
05-22-2008, 14:59
What has Kirby learned?

Probably that many adults will argue about anything and it's best to ignore them.

sofaking
05-22-2008, 15:09
What has Kirby learned?

that whiteblaze is a nursing home. i mean kindergarten. no, i mean nursing home kindergarten.

Tin Man
05-22-2008, 15:40
All this over a ... a ... PATCH !?!

Who needs a patch to prove anything to anybody? Just hike.

Kirby is already more grown up than most people arguing about nothing on HIS thread.

Hike on Kirby and stay strong!

Lone Wolf
05-22-2008, 15:52

hell yeah! the creeper trail is much better than the AT

max patch
05-22-2008, 15:56
hell yeah! the creeper trail is much better than the AT

Well, it is a great bike trail.

Skyline
05-22-2008, 16:07
Maybe I missed it, but I don't think Kirby has said he intends to apply to ATC for a certificate, patch, or publication of his name as a 2,000-miler in next May's AT Journeys.

Until he does, IMHO we should just leave him be so he can enjoy the process of hiking his own hike without comment.

Best wishes, Kirby!

jesse
05-22-2008, 16:21
I am sitting here at The Doyle in Duncannon. The rocks have made their presence known, and the bottoms of my feet are starting to feel it.

Yes, I road walked in SNP, and I don't regret it one bit. All the good views I had in SNP were on the road, and I met a lot of tourists, which was a nice change of pace. If you want to get really technical about it, I was being an ultra purists by doing some road walking, seeing as SD was the original route for the trail. So in essence I was walking what the creators wanted me to walk.

It seems someone has something against me hiking my own hike, which humors me dearly.I still plan to apply for that patch when this deed is done.

Seeing as this is a community computer, I will not update my journal here, I might if no one is using it later.

Well, time to complete town chores, it is once again raining, and I once again have pruned feet.

Kirby

Skyline
05-22-2008, 16:28
Well, then I need to change "maybe I missed it" to "I definitely missed it."

Still best wishes to Kirby. He can always fill in the parts of the AT he missed later if he has a change of conscience.

Tin Man
05-22-2008, 16:28
Maybe I missed it, but I don't think Kirby has said he intends to apply to ATC for a certificate, patch, or publication of his name as a 2,000-miler in next May's AT Journeys.

Until he does, IMHO we should just leave him be so he can enjoy the process of hiking his own hike without comment.

Best wishes, Kirby!

I think Kirby has already discovered that patches mean nothing.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=627330&postcount=492

10-K
05-22-2008, 16:41
This thread and that thread about the speed hiker are really something....

orangebug
05-22-2008, 17:38
Folks, this thread isn't about us. It is supposed to be Kirby's thread.

Personally, I think it is very shabby to accuse him of lying when he has been very open about his planning and execution of his hike.

rickb
05-22-2008, 17:49
This thread drift is a great illustration of why the ATC needs to eliminate their 2000 Miler award.

I

Flush2wice
05-22-2008, 17:55
This thread drift is a great illustration of why the ATC needs to eliminate their 2000 Miler award.

It's why they are going to require future thru's to touch each blaze as they pass. All other 2000 milers that are already in the book will get an asterisk. Basically they are going to start the list all over again.

Jack Tarlin
05-22-2008, 18:03
What a crazy thread!!

Peopele who've hiked the equivalent of the world's circumference without a backpack, but with constant automotive support are bitching out a teenager for not doing a "traditional" hike.

People that, to my knowledge, haven't done anything near a completed thru are similarly lecturing him on constitutes a real thru.

Um, folks, hike more, ditch the van, wear a backpack, whatever. But look in the mirror, and THEN call out this kid for not being "traditional."

In other words, **** and let him enjoy his trip.

Or let's be blunt: ****.

Kirby, if you see this, have a good laugh, and keep trucking. As you'll discover in years to come, the adult species can be pretty silly.

P.S. Note to Kirby: There are folks in the long-distance community who'll make sure you know who they are, i.e. their trip patches or "completion" certificates are all over the place, over their mantels when you enter their homes, sewn to every single piece of outdoor clothing they own, on their car bumpers, etc.

I seem to remember I have several extra 2000 mile rockers hiding somewhere on the premises, tho they're in storage and may be a problem digging out.

When you finish your trip, if you need one, it'd be a great privilege to send you one.

Jack Tarlin
05-22-2008, 18:05
Whoo, I just discovered something new about the Whiteblaze filtering system.

The asterisked phrase above, deleted for tender ears, was the 4-letter abbreviation for "Shut the **** Up" in case anyone missed it.

Which is precisely what some folks around her need to do.

jesse
05-22-2008, 18:28
...Personally, I think it is very shabby to accuse him of lying when he has been very open about his planning and execution of his hike.

What post are you referring to?

rickb
05-22-2008, 18:28
Kirby,

Go ahead and ask Jack for a patch after you reach Katahdin. Just don't ask him if you should sign the 2000 Miler Application and send it in. From the tone of his recent posts you might be surprised at the answer you get.

Jack Tarlin
05-22-2008, 18:31
Which thread?

Any number of them.

Either here or in his journal, Kirby has never been anything but entirely honest about what he's doing and why.

He's out there hiking for six months or so.

What are his detractors doing this spring and summer?

Geesh, guys, this is a young kid having the trip of his life. Shut the **** up and let him enjoy it.

max patch
05-22-2008, 18:31

I

No one should do anything based on the blatherings of an internet discussion forum. Especially this one.

max patch
05-22-2008, 18:34
Either here or in his journal, Kirby has never been anything but entirely honest about what he's doing and why.

Thats true.

However, I think you missed the point Jesse was making. I don't think anyone has called Kirby a liar. I've certainly missed it if that is the case.

Jack Tarlin
05-22-2008, 18:35
Don't presume to speak for me, Rick. You're not qualified.

I'm not sure you have 20 A.T. miles in the last 20 years.

Kirby: Hike your own hike, forget the geriatric whiners.

People who no longer have any worthwhile dreams of their own will always find a way to disparage yours.

Hike on, kid. Twenty years from now, you'll still be having great adventures somewhere; the people bitching you out will be eating creamed cauliflower in a warehouse somewhere, waiting for their plastic pants to be changed.

I think your way is better, Kirby.

Tin Man
05-22-2008, 18:39
Kirby already "gets it" better than most here. He said previously that he is amused by what people are saying about his hike. Kirby is way more mature than some here will ever be.

Cookerhiker
05-22-2008, 18:43
....Hike on, kid. Twenty years from now, .....the people bitching you out will be eating creamed cauliflower in a warehouse somewhere, waiting for their plastic pants to be changed.

I think your way is better, Kirby.

Now that's funny!:D But do you think it's only those bitching him out who will suffer such fate? I hope you're right!

Skidsteer
05-22-2008, 18:52
It seems that this thread which was entitled "Where's Kirby" has evolved/morphed into a debate over what constitutes an AT thru-hike and all the requisite arguments about HYOH, honesty, corridor vs. strict white blazes, Benton MacKaye's "original intent" ad infinitim. Those issues have been debated before on other threads and will probably be hashed over in threads yet to come.

Not that there's no merit or cause for a debate - I think both (or more than 2) sides have made good points. The subject is valid. But discussing it on this thread personalizes it on one hiker (Kirby) when truth is scores of "thru-hikers" have, by their own or others' admissions, skipped some white blazes.

And Kirby didn't ask for this. So let's take the discussion elsewhere.

Folks, this thread isn't about us. It is supposed to be Kirby's thread.

Personally, I think it is very shabby to accuse him of lying when he has been very open about his planning and execution of his hike.

No one should do anything based on the blatherings of an internet discussion forum....

Amen.

Kirby, you got class for not getting caught up in this goat screw.

Give thanks for your parents and thoroughly enjoy the rest of your hike. I only hope there are more 17 year olds out there just like you.

Foyt20
05-22-2008, 18:55
Keep up the good work Kirby... Screw all the naysayers!!!

Slimer
05-22-2008, 19:02
I imagine Kirby's parents read this thread. I wonder how they feel about all this unnecessary bickering?

mrc237
05-22-2008, 19:11
What a crazy thread!!

People that, to my knowledge, haven't done anything near a completed thru are similarly lecturing him on constitutes a real thru

P.S. Note to Kirby: There are folks in the long-distance community who'll make sure you know who they are, i.e. their trip patches or "completion" certificates are all over the place, over their mantels when you enter their homes, sewn to every single piece of outdoor clothing they own, on their car bumpers, etc.

Packsniffers and Packsniffer enablers and you forgot to add the ones that post every step they ever took on the AT.

ki0eh
05-22-2008, 19:46
The cold rain's finally stopped and the wind is blowing away any possibility of haze. Good view weather and cooler than usual forecast. Hope by the time you read this you will have had a safe passage to Port Clinton and have your ID.

If you remember any problems in the 2.5 miles of green tunnel between Yellow Springs and Cold Spring trail south of Rausch Gap, blame me and let me know. :)

rickb
05-22-2008, 20:30
Don't presume to speak for me, Rick. You're not qualified.

You speak well for yourself, Jack. Like when you wrote this.

I think the problem over the years is the folks that wish to have it both ways, i.e., the folks who voluntarily made the decision NOT to hike the entire trail, but still wish to be known and recognized as thru-hikers. The convolutions and contortions these people go thru is both amusing and sad, because you CAN'T have it both ways....by just about anyone's definition (but certainlyt he ATC's), a thru-hike is a hike of the entire Appalachian Trail. "Entire" is a fairly simple word, and it doesn't leave much room for wriggling, so when it's acknowledged that a thru-hike involves hiking the entire trail, this does not mean "except for the parts I've done before" or "except for the 20 miles I skipped in order to catch up with my friends" or "except for (fill in the blank)" Entire means entire. If you want to say afterwards that you've thru-hiked the A.T., then this means you've walked the whole thing, assuming of course that it is in fact imprtant for you to claim to yourself as well as to others that you have in fact done so.

In recent years, there's an increasing number of folks who've claimed to have thru-hiked, and have reported into the ATC office that they've completed a thru-hike when in fact they have not done so. And there are more of these folks than you think. --- Jack Tarlin

But while quoting you is an honor, I prefer what Benton MaKaye said. Scroll back if you want the exact quote I posted earlier. He said that the Appalachian Trail is NOT a treadway, but rather a wide corridor. Bravo to those like Kirby who subscribe to that truth. And to those who reject the much more rigid interpretation that is evident in what I have quoted above. The ATC and their application form is an anachronism, and should be eliminated.

To thine own self be true. Good job, Kirby.

A-Train
05-22-2008, 20:33
Yikes, this thread took a turn for the worst. I'd say lock it down, but it's Kirby's ongoing thread.

Hike on man.

josiblue
05-22-2008, 21:53
i can't say i know kirby all that well, i've only had a few AIM conversations with him and read his posts on here and on the former trailplace, but i seem to think that he knows quite well what his dream is and that he is doing all he can to achieve it. for that he deserves a title even better than thru-hiker, maybe "courageous" or "self-actualized" or even "hero" ... i don't think you have to worry about certifications for those.
keep it up kirby, i am sorry that i couldn't meet you out there this year like i had hoped, but i am glad that you are livin' the dream. maybe when i make my hike in '09, hopefully, you will be making another pass. either way, there are a lot of us here in kentucky cheering for you.
~josi

Alligator
05-22-2008, 22:13
We were thinking that since Kirby is younger than most hikers that we'd put an age limit of 18 and younger on this thread. That would allow him to interact with his peers without a heavy presence of 18+ year olds. But then we realized that many of you would fall under that cap. To top it off, he's a lot more mature than his peers anyway.

I remember a few folks were letting his parents know we'd be looking out for him. Let's try at least in this thread to be the kind of folks his parents would want to be looking out for him:o.

Thanks.

SGT Rock
05-22-2008, 22:14
Geez, yall calm down. I go see my mother for a few days and everyone starts arguing with each other over what Kirby is doing.

Stop it.

Lone Wolf
05-22-2008, 22:16
Geez, yall calm down. I go see my mother for a few days and everyone starts arguing with each other over what Kirby is doing.

Stop it.

cuz they're jealous, fat old packsniffin' wannabes.go blue kirby! :banana

kanga
05-22-2008, 22:16
I have a challenge for all you fat, whiny, bitching losers who are condemning this amazing MAN for doing what you obviously can't: get off your lard a**es and go take a hike!! I can't even find his posts for all the infantile fighting going on in here. Nobody cares about your sh**! Jeez Louise!! Who gives a crap about a stupid patch anyway? I thought it was supposed to be about the glory of nature and a spiritual journey within yourself? Kirby, I hope you're off laughing somewhere!

Blissful
05-22-2008, 22:26
When the Sgt is away, the kids will play...
:)

weary
05-22-2008, 22:28
My vote is for everyone to shut up -- aside from an occasional note of encouragement -- and let the kid hike the trail, and get to Maine, however, he chooses.

Weary

kanga
05-22-2008, 22:30
My vote is for everyone to shut up -- aside from an occasional note of encouragement -- and let the kid hike the trail, and get to Maine, however, he chooses.

Weary

I second that emotion...

dixicritter
05-22-2008, 22:30
Hike on Kirby! :)

SGT Rock
05-22-2008, 22:33

Weary
What Weary said.

Look, I am going to bed. I recommend anyone that has some beef they feel like interjecting on this thread do the same. Go get some sleep. Then go hike, and then post about something that HELPS someone hike.

Goodnight all ;)

orangebug
05-22-2008, 22:35
My vote is for everyone to shut up -- aside from an occasional note of encouragement -- and let the kid hike the trail, and get to Maine, however, he chooses.Which was his original goal and the goal of many of us.

This thread is supposed to be about Kirby's hike, not the old never ending purist/realist debate. Others should be proud of their own hikes without criticizing his - at least in this thread. If you really feel the need to beat this horse more deader - make a new thread.

ed bell
05-22-2008, 23:07
Kirby,
It has been very cool to watch your dream go from wishful planning to reality. Enjoy your journey and take heart in the fact that you have many people pulling for you. Remember that while this thread was initially about keeping up with your progress, there was bound to be "thread drift". I'm not a fan of threads that closely track hikers progress. I think that it interferes with the freedom and privacy that a thru-hiker could enjoy. I'm sure that the exposure has allowed you to meet some fantastic people you may not have run into, but don't let the negative comments here get you down. (I don't believe they will) I'm glad you can continue and I hope you will continue to enjoy your experience to the fullest. Lastly, try to keep backpacking in your life after this journey. I really believe that it is a lifelong passion that keeps on giving back.

E.D. Bell

TOW
05-23-2008, 06:42
cuz they're jealous, fat old packsniffin' wannabes.go blue kirby! :bananaThat's right Kirby!~

Become a certified whiteblazin, blueblazin, yellowblazin hiker trash dude!

TOW
05-23-2008, 06:48
Just to let you all know, last night after work Sally and I walked the entire width of the AT while heading to the Citgo. Then we did it again when we left there and headed to Roy's house. We may have broken the rule of just hiking straight across because we kinda hiked down the trail in a kinda catty cornered type of fashion each way.

And if you old geezers got something to say about it, Sally and I are all ears........

camojack
05-23-2008, 07:17
Just to let you all know, last night after work Sally and I walked the entire width of the AT while heading to the Citgo. Then we did it again when we left there and headed to Roy's house. We may have broken the rule of just hiking straight across because we kinda hiked down the trail in a kinda catty cornered type of fashion each way.

And if you old geezers got something to say about it, Sally and I are all ears........
I'll bet Sally is a pack sniffer! ;)

the goat
05-23-2008, 10:01

Weary

well said weary!

dixicritter
05-23-2008, 13:24
So where's Kirby made it to now? I've lost track... lol.

Ashman
05-23-2008, 13:29
So where's Kirby made it to now? I've lost track... lol.

I'm sure that was tounge in cheek but his last journal entry from 05-19 has him at Darlington Shelter in PA for any who have lost track! :rolleyes:

Blissful
05-23-2008, 13:29
He left Duncannon a few days back.

dixicritter
05-23-2008, 13:34
I'm sure that was tounge in cheek but his last journal entry from 05-19 has him at Darlington Shelter in PA for any who have lost track! :rolleyes:

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. But thanks for the info. :)

Ashman
05-23-2008, 13:56
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. But thanks for the info. :)

You didn't, it's all good. Tone is so hard to read in written form, I was pretty sure you were being funny but wanted to through out the info incase you weren't or someone out there really wanted to know. :D

sofaking
05-23-2008, 15:15
[quote=Jack Tarlin;629083]Kirby: Hike your own hike, forget the geriatric whiners.

will be eating creamed cauliflower in a warehouse somewhere, waiting for their plastic pants to be changed.

quote]
...and ranting on whiteblaze about nothing.

mudhead
05-23-2008, 17:19
I wonder if creamed cauliflower is any good?

Skyline
05-23-2008, 17:37

And I was wondering if it could be dehydrated! :D

tazie
05-23-2008, 17:48

If you mix it up good with a blender, add butter and a little salt, you can pass it off as a low-cal version of mashed potatoes...I have done this and no one suspected a thing.

mudhead, you're a gem. I always chuckle at your posts.

Cookerhiker
05-23-2008, 19:33

I could handle it if it has cheese (preferably Swiss or Muenster), onions, and herbs.

Alligator
05-23-2008, 20:37
The plastic pants cause a lot of chafing though.

Skidsteer
05-23-2008, 20:53

Damn. That's rotten news.

I was closing in on a technique for dual-use rain pants and piss bottle.

sheepdog
05-23-2008, 20:55
I could handle it if it has cheese (preferably Swiss or Muenster), onions, and herbs.
I don't know if there is enough cheese in the world for cauliflower.

sheepdog
05-23-2008, 20:56
Wasn't that the motus operandi for the astro-nut that shot her competition?

Alligator
05-23-2008, 20:59
Damn. That's rotten news.

I was closing in on a technique for dual-use rain pants and piss bottle.There's a hot granny down the hall, maybe I can get her to sew me a pair out of goretex. The plastic just might not be breathable enough.

Alligator
05-23-2008, 21:00
Wasn't that the motus operandi for the astro-nut that shot her competition?I think that young-un was using regular diapers.

Bearpaw
05-23-2008, 21:03
When I read Kirby's journal, so much of it makes me smile when I think of the good and the bad (mostly good) from my own thru-hike, nearly (stunningly) a decade ago.

Bless you Kirby for living while so many others are simply existing. You help remind us of some of the best things in life.

Hike on.......

camojack
05-23-2008, 21:09
I had some very good cream of cauliflower and broccoli soup a couple of Thanksgiving Weeks ago...in Cancún. :sun
(They were served in a yin yang pattern in the same bowl; very haute cuisine, ne c'est pas?)

Bless you Kirby for living while so many others are simply existing. You help remind us of some of the best things in life.
Exactly...

Tin Man
05-23-2008, 21:50
I had some very good cream of cauliflower and broccoli soup a couple of Thanksgiving Weeks ago...in Cancún. :sun

Was it served hot or cold?

camojack
05-23-2008, 21:54
Was it served hot or cold?
Warm, actually. :)

Tin Man
05-23-2008, 22:43
Warm, actually. :)

Is this the bacon thread? I smell bacon. Oops, that's the other thread. I will go there now. I smell bacon.

TOW
05-24-2008, 05:51
I'll bet Sally is a pack sniffer! ;)
you know before hikers even walk by the house her nose will shoot straight up in the air and then her ears will follow as she looks up or down the trail waiting for the hiker to pass by. as they pass by and if she can get their attention and get them to come over and pet her she'll go right to sniffing them. most of the time she will put her nose right where it does not belong, smells are a dogs delight......

SawnieRobertson
05-24-2008, 12:01
So, where is the "W

SawnieRobertson
05-24-2008, 12:02
'scuse please. I was just a-wondering where the "Where's Kirby?" thread went.--Kinnickinic

Foyt20
05-24-2008, 20:58
where is kirby? I think he is meeting a friend in port clinton pa on tuesday, so he is somewhere between duncanon and Port Clinton, probably on the A.T. :D

Red Hat
05-25-2008, 14:05
Funny, I always thought all the different "where's ____" threads should be in the hiker locator forum anyway.... This one was supposed to be for 2008 hikers, oh well.....

emerald
05-25-2008, 14:56
In practice, near as I could tell, threads in this forum of the kind you mention were about hikers belonging to the class and their hikes, not for participation by members of the class exclusively, i.e. private, although I'm less than certain who belongs to the class.

A few comments from administration might be appropriate to clarify just what Class of 2008 This is a private forum for only 2008 thru-hikers means.

Ramble~On
05-25-2008, 15:22
In practice, near as I could tell, threads in this forum of the kind you mention were about hikers belonging to the class and their hikes, not for participation by members of the class exclusively, i.e. private, although I'm less than certain who belongs to the class.

A few comments from administration might be appropriate to clarify just what Class of 2008 This is a private forum for only 2008 thru-hikers means.

Somehow I hear this being said in a very prim and proper English accent:rolleyes:

Heater
05-25-2008, 16:27

A few comments from administration might be appropriate to clarify just what Class of 2008 This is a private forum for only 2008 thru-hikers means.hough

It means that you should not read or comment even though you have access.
A tease and a perk at the same time, ya know... :-?

Whooooohooooo!

Heater
05-25-2008, 16:30
So, where is the "W

Where's the ONE?

--James Brown

emerald
05-25-2008, 17:49
Somehow I hear this being said in a very prim and proper English accent:rolleyes:

Sorry, I thought all posts to this thread were to be submitted in standard English. I was actually thinking in High German while composing my post and intending for people to be hearing only proper Mainespeak when they read it.;)

shelterbuilder
05-25-2008, 20:16
Sorry, I thought all posts to this thread were to be submitted in standard English. I was actually thinking in High German while composing my post and intending for people to be hearing only proper Mainespeak when they read it.;)

And since when do Dutchies think in High German?? :D

BTW, does anyone know if Kirby made it to PC? I'm out of town for the weekend, or I'd have offered to pick him up.

emerald
05-25-2008, 21:26
How do you think I stay so sharp?:rolleyes:

You put that jug behind the branch across the AT NOBO at 183 I almost stepped on? You know, you are really beginning to take this waste management thing a bit far.:D

Cookerhiker
05-25-2008, 21:32
And since when do Dutchies think in High German?? :D

BTW, does anyone know if Kirby made it to PC? I'm out of town for the weekend, or I'd have offered to pick him up.

I thought his plan was to arrive tomorrow (Monday) and stay 2 nights, taking a zero day on Tuesday.

shelterbuilder
05-26-2008, 20:59
I thought his plan was to arrive tomorrow (Monday) and stay 2 nights, taking a zero day on Tuesday.

AAAH, I mis-read again. I've been working on a partnering-project on the trail with an insurance company, and I've been so bleary-eyed, it's a wonder that I could see straight enough to drive to NY and back! Is he staying at the hotel or the pavillion? I might try to stop in and say hi on Tuesday.

SOG, what jug? Haven't been at 183 in weeks - although you're right: I DO live for waste management! :eek::o:D

emerald
05-26-2008, 22:30
I briefly considered explaining my post about the jug for those who need help wrapping their mind around it, but I think I'll refrain from saying more.

Somewhere I recall seeing the word hostel. You may want to send someone an email to inquire about his guest list or simply try there first.

Kirby
05-27-2008, 16:34
If there were a blue blazer society, I would run to be it's president. If there were an anti-purist cult, I would be it's leader.

Hope that helps.

I am currently in Palmerton, PA. I arrived early this afternoon, and I shall leave tomorrow morning. The climb out of Lehigh's Gap looks fun.

This town is nice, the locals are great. The Town Borough has a freee hiker hostel and they give goodie bags to all the hikers who drop by. This consists of travel size toothpaste, a toothbrush, travel size toilet paper, IB prophen, a snack bar, and info about the town.

I plan to be in Deleware Water Gap in 2-3 days, I might tent in the yard of Mechnical Man tomorrow night, or at least drop a phone call and say hello.

Then onto Jersey, slowly but surely taking this trail out.

Kirby

ChinMusic
05-27-2008, 16:51
What? Nothing on the rocks?;)

the goat
05-27-2008, 16:57
I am currently in Palmerton, PA. I arrived early this afternoon, and I shall leave tomorrow morning. The climb out of Lehigh's Gap looks fun.

keep your eyes peeled for rattlers up there, kirby!

have fun man & blue-blaze on!

orangebug
05-27-2008, 17:10
He ain't kidding about the rattlers. I saw them on my section hike in late April and early May a few years back. They sun themselves and scurry to get out of sight.

Now, the raccoons are much more of a problem.

Cookerhiker
05-27-2008, 19:33
...Then onto Jersey, slowly but surely taking this trail out.

Kirby

Slowly? Hardly at the pace you're going. Keep truckin'!

Appalachian Tater
05-30-2008, 00:43
Kirby, keep having fun!

warren doyle
05-30-2008, 05:06
"If there were a blue blazer society, I would run to be it's president. If there were an anti-purist cult, I would be it's leader.

Hope that helps."

It does.

orangebug
05-30-2008, 07:31
Please PM non-Kirby related responses to the appropriate person.

Mrs Baggins
05-30-2008, 07:46
Please PM non-Kirby related responses to the appropriate person.

Thank you! I started this thread to see how Kirby was doing and to encourage him. I get really tired of seeing the other crap on here but I'm not a moderator and in no position to do anything about it.

:bananaKirby, you're doing fabulously well! You're doing it your way and that's the way of HYOH. In spite of what some may think, no one holds the deed to the trail and no one has written (or even can write) a definitive rule book beyond simple common sense and Leave No Trace. Any plans to do any more big hikes? :-?

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 08:00
Thank you! I started this thread to see how Kirby was doing and to encourage him. I get really tired of seeing the other crap on here but I'm not a moderator and in no position to do anything about it.

:bananaKirby, you're doing fabulously well! You're doing it your way and that's the way of HYOH. In spite of what some may think, no one holds the deed to the trail and no one has written (or even can write) a definitive rule book beyond simple common sense and Leave No Trace. Any plans to do any more big hikes? :-?

Kirby is more mature than some of the self-annointed experts who think they own the trail because of their "experience". Kirby is actually laughing at them for how small-minded they are. No need to be concerned about them or Kirby.

Hike on Kirby. New England awaits your arrival.

MOWGLI
05-30-2008, 08:02
In spite of what some may think, no one holds the deed to the trail and no one has written (or even can write) a definitive rule book beyond simple common sense and Leave No Trace.

LNT is a set of ethics, not rules.

Mrs Baggins
05-30-2008, 08:04
LNT is a set of ethics, not rules.

I know that. But it still fits - - Use common sense and good ethics.........there are no "rules"

Appalachian Tater
05-30-2008, 09:55
I think it's great Kirby prefers to hike his own hike instead of conforming to someone else's scheduled march.

SawnieRobertson
05-30-2008, 14:04
I think it's great Kirby prefers to hike his own hike instead of conforming to someone else's scheduled march.

Actually, there isn't anything that isn't great about this thru-hiker or his hike.

And, I'm forever grateful to Mrs. Baggins for beginning this thread. It has been a favorite place to be for months now.

My high school and junior high teaching career implanted in my mind the serious lack of young people for whom I had great hope. It is as though Kirby has taken the bull by the horns, choosing not to follow the throngs. That takes an enormous amount of strong character. And he has handled the few detracting remarks that have come his way with amazing aplomb.

He is, to put it plainly, an outstanding young man. WOW! What a hike! What a guy! Go, Kirby, Go! :banana--Kinnickinic

Mother's Finest
05-30-2008, 14:20
"If there were a blue blazer society, I would run to be it's president. If there were an anti-purist cult, I would be it's leader.

Hope that helps."

It does.

You are a tool. Perhaps a hex wrench.

peace
mf

Mother's Finest
05-30-2008, 14:24
sorry about my previous comment to most viewers of the thread, but sometimes I get a little snippy.

GO KIRBY GO

peace
mf

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 17:39
sorry about my previous comment to most viewers of the thread, but sometimes I get a little snippy.

GO KIRBY GO

peace
mf

It's okay. Mr. High and Mighty is High allright, but on hisself not with the Almighty.

Kirby will be in my backyard soon.

Bluebearee
05-31-2008, 11:57
Someone emailed me a link to a site that links up weather forecasts along the trail by shelter all the way from GA to ME way back when this thread started. I saved it to a work computer and would like to have it again......sorry I don't know who that kind soul was. It's a great site, for AT and weather geeks like us! Please either post it here or email it to me @ [email protected].

Thank you. Kirby called from just inside NJ and is wondering about tornado warnings today.

orangebug
05-31-2008, 12:58
A tornado would let him be the first to grey blaze.

Kirby, we aren't in Kansas any more.

Joking aside, I sat out a big storm at the Wild Cat Shelter - one that spawned a tornado down in U of Maryland.

Cookerhiker
05-31-2008, 13:49
As I read this, my radio station broke programming with a weather notice for a severe flood watch here in Western Maryland. One road along the Potomac is flooded over.

I checked the Weather Channel and where Kirby is now registers precipitation-free but the forecast is for severe thunderstorms including hail and possible tornadoes. I trust he'll exercise prudence.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2008, 13:55
::: Dino seen wrapping tail around Kirby for protection from wind, hail and pounding rain :::

santa
05-31-2008, 19:55
::: Dino seen wrapping tail around Kirby for protection from wind, hail and pounding rain :::

how did you get your trail name. You are alittle to into it lol. But it sure looks like your having fun?:banana

Uncle B
05-31-2008, 20:35
Someone emailed me a link to a site that links up weather forecasts along the trail by shelter all the way from GA to ME way back when this thread started. I saved it to a work computer and would like to have it again......sorry I don't know who that kind soul was. It's a great site, for AT and weather geeks like us! Please either post it here or email it to me @ [email protected].

Thank you. Kirby called from just inside NJ and is wondering about tornado warnings today.

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

saimyoji
06-01-2008, 18:27
Note to Kirby:

"Kirby, moved on to next shelter. Cookie."

Found on the trailhead sign at Eckville. Guess he missed it. ;)

max patch
06-01-2008, 19:08
You are a tool. Perhaps a hex wrench.

I think your criticism of Mr Doyle is unfair.

Inasmuch as Kirby stated in his journal that he was going to "hike the Entire Appalachian Trail" and "I was determined to hike the whole trail" Mr Doyle's comment does not appear to be out of line.

But then again, Mr Doyle continues to be criticized whether it is deserved or not on this website.

orangebug
06-01-2008, 21:24
Please take non-Kirby related comment to PM directly to the one who upset you.

Bluebearee
06-01-2008, 22:48
Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

YES! Thanks so much! I just love that. He'll be in Vernon (NJ) tomorrow.

warren doyle
06-02-2008, 05:41
I think your criticism of Mr Doyle is unfair.

Inasmuch as Kirby stated in his journal that he was going to "hike the Entire Appalachian Trail" and "I was determined to hike the whole trail" Mr Doyle's comment does not appear to be out of line.

But then again, Mr Doyle continues to be criticized whether it is deserved or not on this website.

Thank you for stating both a valid and 'common sense' point.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 07:48
Please take non-Kirby related comment to PM directly to the one who upset you.Amen. Kirby, and Kirby alone, has the right to design and implement his hike. For some, a LD hike is a work of art woven from strands that are chosen as the work progresses. For others, a LD is about following a set path to a tee. Ultimately, it up to the individual hiking to determine which course is right for them. This is the core of HYOH.

Presentation of the purist POV has its place, but its place isn't in this thread. This thread is about this young man's hike - not a springboard for any of the rest of you to dis' this young man by questioning his honesty nor a vehicle to advance your POV. Please take it somewhere else and discuss it if you feel it needs to be discussed and leave this fellow's thread alone.

Now, back to the subject of the thread - Go, Kirby, Go. I am so very proud of my adopted hiking grandson. You are doing great and I hope to see pics of you atop Katahdin in the future. Godspeed to you, grandson.

Lone Wolf
06-02-2008, 07:52
i'm sure kirby could give 2 *hits about this dumb thread. :rolleyes: really

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 08:03
i'm sure kirby could give 2 *hits about this dumb thread. :rolleyes: reallyTrue dat - I'd be after some of these guys with the Dino teeth, tail and claws if I thought for a second that they were damaging the Dino grandson's hike in any way. Hell hath no fury like a protective granny.

JAK
06-02-2008, 08:19

Weary

What Weary said.

Look, I am going to bed. I recommend anyone that has some beef they feel like interjecting on this thread do the same. Go get some sleep. Then go hike, and then post about something that HELPS someone hike.

Goodnight all ;)What Rock said.

Kirby On!

jersey joe
06-02-2008, 08:57
Kirby has some great weather in NJ today...
Enjoy Jersey Kirby!!!

Kirby
06-02-2008, 12:28
Rolled in Vernon, NJ today, onto NY tomorrow. I will most likely be visiting NYC, and staying with A-Train if I can make logistics work. Cookie has not been since the 60's, so we thought it would be a wild experience to leave trail on a side trip.

A-Train:
I will send this to you in a PM as well, but my cell phone number is 1-207-482-9934, drop a call so we can talk about the logisitics of an NYC trip.

NJ has been quite nice, amazing views all around. Hard to believe that I only have 10 miles in NJ left, and that after NY I will be in New England.

Time for town chores,
Kirby

Jaybird62
06-02-2008, 12:33
Rolled in Vernon, NJ today, onto NY tomorrow. I will most likely be visiting NYC, and staying with A-Train if I can make logistics work. Cookie has not been since the 60's, so we thought it would be a wild experience to leave trail on a side trip.

A-Train:
I will send this to you in a PM as well, but my cell phone number is 1-207-482-9934, drop a call so we can talk about the logisitics of an NYC trip.

NJ has been quite nice, amazing views all around. Hard to believe that I only have 10 miles in NJ left, and that after NY I will be in New England.

Time for town chores,
Kirby

Roll on buddy!!!!Glad to hear you are having a good time!:sun:sun

Jan LiteShoe
06-02-2008, 12:36
Rolled in Vernon, NJ today, onto NY tomorrow. I will most likely be visiting NYC, and staying with A-Train if I can make logistics work.
Kirby

Ha! Kirby,
A-Train was the "Kirby" of our year. Young, grew several notches internally on the Trail, and fast as the devil.
Have a good visit guys. Ask him to play you some "Indigo Girls" - good trail music.
:sun
Sentimental Shoe

josiblue
06-02-2008, 20:17
damn, you sure are moving right along. great job, and keep on keeping on.
~josi

mudhead
06-02-2008, 20:19
Get the ID squared away?

A-Train
06-07-2008, 08:36
Kirby and Cookie are walking the streets of NYC today in 90+ degree heat for their "zero" day. I picked them up yesterday at Rt 52 and brought them home for feeding, clean-up and sleep. I will drive them back out tomorrow. Kirby looks healthy and they are having a good time, excited to get up into New England.

Mad Hatter 08
06-07-2008, 16:03
tell them both that mad hatter says hi and tell cookie that glo-worm made it to california and is on the pct right now.

Kirby
06-07-2008, 21:54
Evening everyone, in NYC, quite tired about my day in Manhattan. Will be in Connecticut.

Tin Man:
If for some reason I forget to call tomorrow and tell you personally, it turns out I wont need a ride Monday from Pawling, but I thank you very much for your cooperation and flexibility to help Cookie and me execute our NYC trip.

Also a HUGE thanks go out to A-Train and his parentals for all their help while we have been in the city.

Kirby

Kirby
06-12-2008, 18:42
I rolled into Great Barrington, Mass earlier today after completing 21 miles, on towards Vermont tomorrow. I will try to update my journal tonight.

Shower time.

Kirby

Sharkey
06-12-2008, 19:20
Kirby,

Glad to see you are having a good time and making great progress. Keep it up. A lot of us are pulling for you. (Also pulling for the rest of the 2008 class.)

Lone Wolf
06-12-2008, 20:38
I rolled into Great Barrington, Mass earlier today after completing 21 miles, on towards Vermont tomorrow. I will try to update my journal tonight.

Shower time.

Kirby

damn god kid, slow down! i mean god damn! really. slow it down

rafe
06-12-2008, 20:42
good god kid. slow down! :eek:

I thought the same thing but then I noticed he said "towards Vermont."

mudhead
06-12-2008, 20:59
good god kid. slow down! :eek: wait for them maine hardwood leaves to change

They finally filled out, hope they don't change too soon!

Foyt20
06-12-2008, 21:43
Great to hear kirby, glad you liked NJ.

A-Train
06-13-2008, 00:03

Why? He's doing great. When you don't stop all the time to booze it up and stop at hiker feeds, the trail doesn't take 6-7 months. :)

warraghiyagey
06-13-2008, 02:29

Shower time.

Kirby

DUDE! Wow!!! Enjoy the northeast. You've proven much. And headed to your homestate. Breathe it in brother. Hope we'll meet ya somewhere on the southern portion of Maine or Gorham area. We're leaving Katahdin on the 24th.
See you out there.
Nice work. . . and play.:sun

bfitz
06-13-2008, 02:37
Why? He's doing great. When you don't stop all the time to booze it up and stop at hiker feeds, the trail doesn't take 6-7 months. :)I never heard a hiker say they wished they had gone faster, however I frequently hear them say they wish they had gone slower. Just sayin.

bfitz
06-13-2008, 02:38
Why? He's doing great. When you don't stop all the time to booze it up and stop at hiker feeds, the trail doesn't take 6-7 months. :)I never heard a hiker say they wished they had gone faster, however I frequently hear them say they wish they had gone slower. Just sayin. By the way good going Kirb.

warraghiyagey
06-13-2008, 02:39
I never heard a hiker say they wished they had gone faster, however I frequently hear them say they wish they had gone slower. Just sayin.
;):sun:sun:sun

TOW
06-13-2008, 05:46
that boy is moving.............

Kirby
06-13-2008, 07:06
I'm having quite a bit of fun out here, and I am enjoying my pace. It's looking like I'll have enough time left at the end of the summer to finish the long trail from Maine junction to Canada, Cookie talked me into it.

Living the life, I somewhat updated my journal.

Kirby

Mags
06-13-2008, 09:22
There are only three rules for the outdoors:

1) Be Safe
2) Try not to let your idea of a hike interfere with others idea of a good hike
3) Have fun!

Looks like Kirby is having a blast!

Enjoy the rest of the hike. In my, very biased opinion :), the best parts are about to come up.

The northern LT is a bit rough up north, but also great. Maybe you'll time it right for the Fall?

Blissful
06-13-2008, 11:58
Why? He's doing great. When you don't stop all the time to booze it up and stop at hiker feeds, the trail doesn't take 6-7 months. :)

Some also have suffered injuries or aren't 17-25 either (what a great feeling to be young). Whether is takes three months or seven months or 20 years, it doesn't matter, does it?

But I have heard plenty say they wished they had slowed down to enjoy it. It then becomes a journey not a goal. That's why I want to go back, to see what I missed as I was more goal oriented than journey oriented ( I didnt even remember seeing the Keffer Oak!).

But Kirby, HYOH and enjoy it the way you want.
But guaranteed when you're older you'll want to go back and catch what you missed - people wise, scenery wise, and smelling the roses-wise. :)

A-Train
06-13-2008, 12:34
Some also have suffered injuries or aren't 17-25 either (what a great feeling to be young). Whether is takes three months or seven months or 20 years, it doesn't matter, does it?

But I have heard plenty say they wished they had slowed down to enjoy it. It then becomes a journey not a goal. That's why I want to go back, to see what I missed as I was more goal oriented than journey oriented ( I didnt even remember seeing the Keffer Oak!).

But Kirby, HYOH and enjoy it the way you want.
But guaranteed when you're older you'll want to go back and catch what you missed - people wise, scenery wise, and smelling the roses-wise. :)

Of course. No shame in taking 6-7 months, that wasn't my point. Hike it how ever you want to. Just sayin' lots of folks take 30-60 days off in zero's to hang out in towns, but one doesn't have to do it this way. I've done both, their both good.

sonic
06-13-2008, 13:24
:bananaHey, Kirby, Congrats on making your school's honor roll.

jersey joe
06-14-2008, 08:04
Kirby just took a day off to visit NYC, it sounds to me like he's smelling the roses just fine.

Cookerhiker
06-14-2008, 09:40
.....The northern LT is a bit rough up north, but also great. Maybe you'll time it right for the Fall?

Very true but I suspect Kirby won't have any problems at all. And at his pace, he'll be there before Fall unless he takes a break after Katahdin. Remember, he has to return to school in September.

Jan LiteShoe
06-14-2008, 09:52
Kirby is very fit and young, I'm not surprised he is exploring his expanding physical limits.
There is a distinct pleasure in that.
It's nothing I could do anymore, though at his age I believe I would have charged along, just to experience it.

I suspect he will knock out the Long Trail in short order as well.

SawnieRobertson
06-22-2008, 17:38
Where IS Kirby?--Kinnickinic

rafe
06-22-2008, 17:41
Where IS Kirby?--Kinnickinic

Last heard from several days ago around Great Barrington, MA, so I guess he's well into Vermont by now.

Bluebearee
06-22-2008, 18:28
He was in Manchester VT on Thursday. S/b around Killington today.

camojack
06-22-2008, 19:41
Da boy is really movin'... :)

Tin Man
06-22-2008, 22:05

Hope he doesn't miss the turn at Maine Junction and wind up doing the LT to Canada, before he finishes the AT...

...or fly right over Katahdin and run into Canada on the IAT.

:sun

Red Hat
06-23-2008, 11:53
He better slow down or he'll be done before I start.... should meet him somewhere in the 100 mile wilderness...

Heater
06-23-2008, 12:06
He better slow down or he'll be done before I start.... should meet him somewhere in the 100 mile wilderness...

Well... he is from Maine. He'll probably slow down a bit on that section.

Bluebearee
06-24-2008, 10:15
Hanover last night

sheepdog
06-24-2008, 12:28
Wish he would slow down enough to update his trail journal. He writes a good one. Nothing since june 7. bummer

Appalachian Tater
06-24-2008, 13:29
Maybe he's planning to yo-yo now and still be ready for school in the fall!

Foyt20
06-24-2008, 14:37
Yeah hes got a lot to catch up on :D. Hope everything is going well, and that he stopped at the Canadian Border.

TOW
06-24-2008, 16:41
You all know who Kirby really is don't ya? Superman, Jr, Jr, Jr, Jr....................

warren doyle
06-25-2008, 13:06
You all know who Kirby really is don't ya? Superman, Jr, Jr, Jr, Jr....................

Hardly.

Bearpaw88
06-25-2008, 13:08
Hardly.

Why are you always a dick

warren doyle
06-25-2008, 13:52
I do not consider Kirby to be Superman Jr. as others would not consider Kobe to be Michael.

And my name is Warren, not Richard.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 14:00
And you've just made yourself look jealous of a 17 year old kid.

That's pretty sad, even for you.

Go get 'em Kirby, you're doing great.

A-Train
06-25-2008, 14:02
Way to go Kirb! Hes almost in the real home stretch for him. I know him and Cookie were really looking forward to the Whites. Hope their weather is good!

Savor every last day. Soon it will all be pictures and memories :)

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 14:06
Kirby will be having tremendous adventures when some folks I could mention will be strapped into a chair gumming creamed cauliflower, wishing they could still manage a square dance. :rolleyes:

Don't let people get you down, Kirb.

Life's too short to spend it with bitter people. Sorry I missed you in Hanover.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 14:12
Kirby will be having tremendous adventures when some folks I could mention will be strapped into a chair gumming creamed cauliflower, wishing they could still manage a square dance. :rolleyes:

Don't let people get you down, Kirb.

Life's too short to spend it with bitter people. Sorry I missed you in Hanover.

kirby doesn't give 2 ****s about what warren or anybody else thinks of him. you need to stop obsessing with warren, dude

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 14:15
Who's obsessing? I was merely responding to some dumb comment here, and telling folks that it was a really douche thing to say, especially to a kid.

You tell people this all the time, Wolf, usually in much sharper terms.

Lighten up.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 14:18
Who's obsessing? I was merely responding to some dumb comment here, and telling folks that it was a really douche thing to say, especially to a kid.

You tell people this all the time, Wolf, usually in much sharper terms.

Lighten up.
you're obsessing. warren drives you absolutely batty.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 14:26
And your never-ending determination to pucker yourself up in order to kiss his ass is pretty amusing, too. :rolleyes:

If ya need forty bucks for a room, Wolf, I'll lend it to you.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 14:29
And your never-ending determination to pucker yourself up in order to kiss his ass is pretty amusing, too. :rolleyes:

If ya need forty bucks for a room, Wolf, I'll lend it to you.

nope. i don't kiss anybody's ass. not defending him either. you just won't admit to your very unhealthy obsession with warren. it's very plain to see. THAT"S what is so amusing. you squirm when he types :)

DesertMTB
06-25-2008, 14:34
I see it too LW. Jack is an instigator.

Pfft. Why would LW need to get a room? Have you seen Gypsy?! Nice job on meeting her man.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 14:36
Actually, I only mention him when he comes to Whiteblaze and posts something questionable, Wolf.

Kinda like when he came to this thread to rank on a teen-ager, which admittedly, was pretty pitiful.

Til then, Wolf, it hadn't occurred to me to mention him.

Tell ya what, since you're concerned about poor Warren.

Tell him to stop posting dumb stuff and maybe people won't feel the need to call him on it.

Believe it or not, there's a connection. :rolleyes:

Tin Man
06-25-2008, 15:30
Thanks JT for representing truth, justice and the American way. :)

warren doyle
06-25-2008, 15:34
Pretty pathetic, or is it pathological? or should it be footpathological?

Next stop - Duncannon.

OregonHiker
06-25-2008, 15:39
you're obsessing. warren drives you absolutely batty.

Bullseye :sun

Jack Tarlin
No Warren, what was pathetic was your post a little while ago belittling the accomplishments of a 17 year old kid.

You have no idea how small, insecure, and utterly sad this made you look.

You're jealous of a teen-ager.

Truly pitiful.

OregonHiker
I see it too LW. Jack is an instigator.

Pfft. Why would LW need to get a room? Have you seen Gypsy?! Nice job on meeting her man.

Internagator :cool:

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 15:40
Gee, I see O.H. has shown up.

Figures this is the best Warren can do for back-up. :D

OregonHiker
06-25-2008, 15:40
Pretty pathetic, or is it pathological? or should it be footpathological?

Next stop - Duncannon.

scatalogical:mad:

OregonHiker
06-25-2008, 15:41
Gee, I see O.H. has shown up.

Figures this is the best Warren can do for back-up. :D

I thought you put me on ignore...didn't think so :cool:

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 15:43
No Warren, what was pathetic was your post a little while ago belittling the accomplishments of a 17 year old kid.

he belittled nobody. he said kirby "hardly" resembles superman.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 15:45
Nah, Wolf. It was snotty, bitchy and uncalled for.

In other words, that you and Oregon are supporting it isn't exactly surprising.

warren doyle
06-25-2008, 15:46
Simply put, I admire and respect people of any age who follow the white blazes over all the mountains/ridges the trail goes over more than those people of any age who bypass some of the mountains/ridges the trail goes over.

I have known teenagers who have walked the entire trail.

Appalachian Tater
06-25-2008, 15:46
Why are you always a dick

You have no idea how small, insecure, and utterly sad this made you look.

You're jealous of a teen-ager.

Truly pitiful.All together, this would make him a pathetic, small, insecure, truly pitiful, jealous, utterly sad dick.

Score:
Internegator: 1
Pathetic, small, insecure, truly pitiful, jealous, utterly sad dick: -1

(minus 1 for being nasty to Kirby)

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 15:48
Hardly.

this is snotty, bitchy and uncalled for? kirby doesn't care, why do you? because you can't stand warren. you're obsessed. you AND fart :D

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 15:49
this is snotty, bitchy and uncalled for? kirby doesn't care, why do you? because you can't stand warren. you're obsessed. you AND fart :D

oh! tater tot is here now. The Holy Trinity :banana

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 15:49
Thanks, Warren.

I have also known teenagers who have hiked the whole Trail.

And without support vehicles either!

Gosh, how on earth did they ever manage it? :D

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 15:51
Thanks, Warren.

I have also known teenagers who have hiked the whole Trail.

And without support vehicles either!

Gosh, how on earth did they ever manage it? :D

you've never hiked the whole trail without slackpacking

OregonHiker
06-25-2008, 15:52
Nah, Wolf. It was snotty, bitchy and uncalled for.

In other words, that you and Oregon are supporting it isn't exactly surprising.

Ok Tarlin...

Your choice...fetch the stick or the ball....good boy...back into the kennel until I want to play with you again :cool:

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 15:55
Actually, that's something else you're ill-informed on, Wolf.

And totally wrong.

Anyone who hiked with me back in the early years know what an ultra-purist I was, and this includes slack-packing.

Either you're ignorant or your memory's no good, but in any case, you're wrong.

For a guy who likes to remind people how often he HASN'T hiked the trail, you're pretty good about talking about how other people chose to do so. :D

Stick to stuff you know.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 15:56
i've hiked the AT 5 times entirely. i know what i'm talking about

Tin Man
06-25-2008, 15:56
Well now, here it is, WD disses every hiker who misses a white blaze. Kirby don't care. I don't care. And I am sure many others don't care.

WD, leave Kirby alone and go beat your contra circle happy drum. :)

WD, I have been meaning to ask you, do you have a white blaze painted on your van? Cause from the sounds of all the registers you have signed in various, random spots this year, it sounds like you may have passed a few yellow blazes in between. :eek:

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 15:59
i've hiked the AT 5 times entirely. i know what i'm talking about

and i've never slackpacked like you