PDA

View Full Version : Where's Kirby?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Mrs Baggins
03-07-2008, 09:04
Sorry......it's the mom in me. I see a huge rain storm headed for the AT again and was wondering if anyone's seen/heard from Kirby since he was headed for Woods Hole?? :confused:

mudhead
03-07-2008, 09:11
Probably hiding from the motherly advice.

Young, from NE. I bet he tries to go find some weather, just to say he did.

Plus he's male. I've been told that males, at times, lose about 80 IQ points.

zoidfu
03-07-2008, 09:17
On his way north

dixicritter
03-07-2008, 09:47
Kirby has a good head on his shoulders, reminds me of my oldest son. I hope he's out there enjoying his hike to it's fullest and staying away from the internet as much as possible (like SGT Rock has been doing). I'm sure he's just fine, he doesn't strike me as the type to take unnecessary risks that could screw up his dream of completing his Thru. Just my opinion. :)

jersey joe
03-07-2008, 09:57
Ah, I knew it was just a matter of time until a "Where is Kirby" thread was started.

Mrs Baggins
03-07-2008, 10:02
Ah, I knew it was just a matter of time until a "Where is Kirby" thread was started.

Well excuuuuuuuuuse me for caring! Gees, ask a simple question........:eek:

Survivor Dave
03-07-2008, 10:04
If I'm not mistaken, I thought I saw him sign-in at the register a couple of days ago at Neels Gap. MrsBaggins, that's about three and a half miles past Woods Hole Shelter. I would assume he's in/near Hiawassee by now. Check with Cloud9 Hostel(706-896-8959) or the Blueberry Patch(706-896-4893).

Do you have a guide/Data book?

Don't worry, he wants to grow up, have a lotta fun, and be with his hiking buddies.

Maybe he found a girlfriend already!:D

SD

jersey joe
03-07-2008, 10:16
Well excuuuuuuuuuse me for caring! Gees, ask a simple question........:eek:

Hah, no, i'm not being negative here. I am actually curious how he is doing also.

Mrs Baggins
03-07-2008, 10:56
If I'm not mistaken, I thought I saw him sign-in at the register a couple of days ago at Neels Gap. MrsBaggins, that's about three and a half miles past Woods Hole Shelter. I would assume he's in/near Hiawassee by now. Check with Cloud9 Hostel(706-896-8959) or the Blueberry Patch(706-896-4893).

Do you have a guide/Data book?

Don't worry, he wants to grow up, have a lotta fun, and be with his hiking buddies.

Maybe he found a girlfriend already!:D

SD

Oh my I don't want to call and track him! I was just curious and am following his travels because we had communicated a few times about maps. I didn't know how young he was and with kids of my own (26 and 21 now) I know I'd have felt some comfort in knowing the hiking community was watching over them when they were teens. :D

Heater
03-07-2008, 11:12
Oh my I don't want to call and track him! I was just curious and am following his travels because we had communicated a few times about maps. I didn't know how young he was and with kids of my own (26 and 21 now) I know I'd have felt some comfort in knowing the hiking community was watching over them when they were teens. :D

Kirby will be just fine. He has his "group" he is hiking with to keep him from overextending himself.

(waiting to see how long this "group" remains intact}

sonic
03-07-2008, 12:53
Kirby will be just fine. He has his "group" he is hiking with to keep him from overextending himself.

(waiting to see how long this "group" remains intact}
Yeah, it looks like they might have a whiner amongst them. He'll do fine. I feel the mom in me when we correspond too, Mrs. Baggins. It's not just you. I hope all of our thoughts and the trail community will keep him safe.

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 13:56
Yeah, it looks like they might have a whiner amongst them. No, he has an official group he's hiking with, signed up, paid, went to the trail together, it was one of his father's conditions, he is in high school. He has a trail journal, but last entry was four days ago. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=217504

Jan LiteShoe
03-07-2008, 14:11
I think the thread is a great idea, Mrs. Baggins. Many of us have become fond of Kirby and his adventure over the last year's planning. He should be in the Blueberry Patch territory this weekend, my best guess.

Bluebearee
03-07-2008, 14:29
He just called me from Blue Mt Shelter ~ noon EST, asking for a weather update. I looked up Helen GA and gave him a forecast for the next 2 days. He sounds very well. He's going to be fine. I've been helping him prepare for his hike for over a year now since he lives here in Portland.

I'll be in pretty close touch with Kirby if anyone wants to find out along the way how or where he is.

BB

SawnieRobertson
03-07-2008, 17:14
He just called me from Blue Mt Shelter ~ noon EST, asking for a weather update. I looked up Helen GA and gave him a forecast for the next 2 days. He sounds very well. He's going to be fine. I've been helping him prepare for his hike for over a year now since he lives here in Portland.

I'll be in pretty close touch with Kirby if anyone wants to find out along the way how or where he is.

BBSo, Bluebearee, does this mean that you will contact me when you think it's time for me to deliver some homemade chocolate chip bars (or the equivalent)? "Where's Kirby?" the call was heard thru-out the Southland . . . . " "Somewhere, elsewhere. nowhere, otherwhere," replied a male chorus from a different hiking site, but I digress.--Kinnickinic

GGS2
03-07-2008, 18:50
"Where's Kirby?" the call was heard thru-out the Southland . . . .

Actually, it's a mountain up in Maine. I wonder if there's a connection? Did Kirby's family have anything to do with that mountain, or the area? Come to think of it, the mountain was probably named for some famous son. The only Kirby I can find is one Major R. M. Kirby who was commander of the American force in place during the Aroostook War, Ante Bellum dispute with New Brunswick and Quebec (Lower Canada) that fixed the border in that region.

Kirby
03-07-2008, 21:38
Evening everyone. I am currently in Hiawasse, I hitched here with three other hikers from Unicoi Gap. We split a room at the Holiday Inn Express, I ended up paying ten bucks for my share of the room. Tomorrow I will take a zero here in town, and Sunday I will slackpack from Unicoi to Dicks Creek Gap. Tomorrow night and sunday will be at the Blueberry Patch, I am going to give five dollars a night and do housework when ever they need an extra hand. I will then hike out Monday or Tuesday, most likely Monday. I will try to be in Franklin in 3-5 days.

My group is somewhere behind me, I really enjoy Windjammer and Bearpaw's company, Por Boy is quite annoying. All of my journal entries up to yesterday are up, and Todays's will be up later this evening.

My next planned zero will be in Hot Springs, NC.

My trail name is Kirby by the way, I know there were some questions about that.

Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-07-2008, 21:41
::: Dino overjoyed to see adopted grandson posting :::

Jim Adams
03-07-2008, 22:26
Kirby,
is the pocket mail working for you?

geek

Kirby
03-07-2008, 22:53
Kirby,
is the pocket mail working for you?

geek

I decided not to use the pocketmail, I shall seek a 2009 AT Thru Hiker through Whiteblaze to pass it along to.

I just added today's journal entry.

Kirby

Dances with Mice
03-07-2008, 23:07
I just added today's journal entry.
Kirby's Journal: There were a few climbs that made me curse the GATC.Good job.

Kirby
03-08-2008, 08:08
Good job.

I was referring to the 1/4 of a mile stretch up Levelland mountain that was practically straight up, and then all those little bumps afterwards where the trail went straight up and down.

Besides that, the trail in Georgia has been quite nice, slackpack tomorrow.

Kirby

Mrs Baggins
03-08-2008, 08:13
I was referring to the 1/4 of a mile stretch up Levelland mountain that was practically straight up, and then all those little bumps afterwards where the trail went straight up and down.

Besides that, the trail in Georgia has been quite nice, slackpack tomorrow.

Kirby

Ah, that must be the 1/4 mile up out of Tennastee Gap? I stood at the bottom of that looking up and sobbing. It had been a bad day, it was hot, and I was almost completely out of water. My knees were literally in my face as I climbed and my oversized pack was shoving me head to the ground. I hated each and every step of it..........and in a few weeks I'm going to do it again. It's a sickness.

oldfivetango
03-08-2008, 08:48
Way to go Kirby!!
I like this thread and hope it keeps up;not because we are worried
about you but because we are proud of you! Just stay away from
lightning and dont tent under a tree with dead limbs on it.You can
do it!
Oldfivetango

warren doyle
03-08-2008, 10:06
Another 'group' bites the dust. And the beat goes on.....

Lilred
03-08-2008, 11:00

That's ok. I've always felt that Kirby was quite a bit ahead of the 'group' mentality anyhow........:D

HAPPY HIKING KIRBY!!!

Kirby
03-08-2008, 11:05

I am still hiking with them, I am meeting them in Hiawassee on Tuesday.

My Dad has informed me that he will pull the plug on my hike if I get seperated from them, so I need to be in their vicinity, I enjoy their company anyway.

Kirby

rafe
03-08-2008, 11:24
My Dad has informed me that he will pull the plug on my hike if I get seperated from them, so I need to be in their vicinity, I enjoy their company anyway.

What happens if folks in the group start dropping out? Hopefully it won't come to that. I guess it behooves you to keep that group intact. ;)

Lone Wolf
03-08-2008, 11:28

Kirby

you ARE separated from them :-?

emerald
03-08-2008, 11:44

Kirby

An interesting statement, for sure! I know hiking with someone doesn't ordinarily mean hiking 2-abreast, but I hope father and son are in agreement on what hiking "with them" means. Could lead to some issues.:-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-08-2008, 13:05
Hmmm... sounds like Kirby and Dad are coming to an agreement about what constitutes 'hiking with'. Many who do not hike don't understand the reality of different hiking speeds and think 'hiking with' means within sight and sound of other hikers. Most of us who have hiked with others know this doesn't work well in reality. In Kirby's situation, there are hundreds of folks all up and down the AT watching out for him as well as his group. Many of us are parents on this site and know how Kirby's Mom and Dad are feeling about now. We would be all over the situation should the need arise.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2008, 13:07
he and his "group" are 4 days apart and it sounds like they haven't hiked together

rafe
03-08-2008, 13:11
The whole idea of having one's hike "monitored" vicariously over the internet... strikes me as weird and kinda creepy. OTOH, it looks like Kirby enjoys the attention.

Tin Man
03-08-2008, 13:18
Kirby,

If it comes down to it and your Dad insists you need to stick to your group and they drop out, perhaps you could invite him down to meet and greet any new trail friends that you connect with along the way.

Sticking with a vetted group is just another challenge that can be overcome.

Best wishes for overcoming all of the challenges ahead.

Sly
03-08-2008, 13:23
I think the thread is a great idea, Mrs. Baggins. Many of us have become fond of Kirby and his adventure over the last year's planning. He should be in the Blueberry Patch territory this weekend, my best guess.

Someone needs to merge Kirby's other thread to give "The Thread" a run for it's money. Not Skidsteer though, he loses posts! :p

Blissful
03-08-2008, 13:30
It's tough hanging with a group, they go different paces, etc. There are sure to be new friends awaiting you on your journey north also. Hope it works out.

Lookin' good. After Franklin, take it easy on the Stecoah range. 30 miles of tough stuff.

And Mrs. Baggins, I'm right there with ya.

weary
03-08-2008, 14:02
Actually, it's a mountain up in Maine. I wonder if there's a connection? Did Kirby's family have anything to do with that mountain, or the area? Come to think of it, the mountain was probably named for some famous son. The only Kirby I can find is one Major R. M. Kirby who was commander of the American force in place during the Aroostook War, Ante Bellum dispute with New Brunswick and Quebec (Lower Canada) that fixed the border in that region.
Well, I know there's a Kibby here in Maine. It's about to have 40 or so 400-foot high wind towers perched atop it. I haven't heard of a Kirby.

Weary

Appalachian Tater
03-08-2008, 14:03
Sounds like you're having a good time, Kirby. Didn't think you would break free of your group until North Carolina. Just keep hiking in a comfortable manner and be respectful of others and you'll continue to have a good time.

I doubt his father will have much of a problem at this point, but the group thing reassured him in the planning stages.

JAK
03-08-2008, 14:07
The whole idea of having one's hike "monitored" vicariously over the internet... strikes me as weird and kinda creepy. OTOH, it looks like Kirby enjoys the attention.My guess is that Kirby ran into another bull moose or some other critter and strapped his dad's Satellite Tracking Heart Rate Monitor over it and gave it slap on the rump. Go Kirby. :banana

SawnieRobertson
03-08-2008, 14:14
The prospect of slackpacking with the iffy weather we are currently experiencing gives me pause. What gear could one have carried forward when winter conditions exist? Well, more than a day's worth of food maybe. Writing materials? Okay. Extra, extra clothes? The book one is reading? The IPod? Better be sure that you carry enough gear so that, if you should be injured so badly that you can't walk out (and, yes, it does happen), then what gear are your first responders (hikers who are coming along behind you) going to have to remove from their packs to keep you warm? Will they then be at risk even though they arrived fully prepared to take care of themselves? So, what is my point? I question slackpacking while we are in winter conditions or the potential for winter conditions. Some call me "MamaSawnie."--Kinnickinic

Sly
03-08-2008, 14:17
The whole idea of having one's hike "monitored" vicariously over the internet... strikes me as weird and kinda creepy.

Not much different than keeping a journal online but I tend to agree.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2008, 14:20
The prospect of slackpacking with the iffy weather we are currently experiencing gives me pause. What gear could one have carried forward when winter conditions exist? Well, more than a day's worth of food maybe. Writing materials? Okay. Extra, extra clothes? The book one is reading? The IPod? Better be sure that you carry enough gear so that, if you should be injured so badly that you can't walk out (and, yes, it does happen), then what gear are your first responders (hikers who are coming along behind you) going to have to remove from their packs to keep you warm? Will they then be at risk even though they arrived fully prepared to take care of themselves? So, what is my point? I question slackpacking while we are in winter conditions or the potential for winter conditions. Some call me "MamaSawnie."--Kinnickinic

gonna be sunny and in the 50s tomorrow when he slacks

Mother Nature
03-08-2008, 14:30

Yup and Smokestack and I will be out on the trail near him doing trail maintanence. He will have old Mother Nature watching out for him tomorrow.

GGS2
03-08-2008, 15:23
Well, I know there's a Kibby here in Maine. It's about to have 40 or so 400-foot high wind towers perched atop it. I haven't heard of a Kirby.

Weary

Right you are Weary. :o I saw it marked as Kirby on a road map, but when I checked on Google Maps, it was Kibby. My bad. Just can't trust maps. Never carry them anyway. :rolleyes:

dessertrat
03-08-2008, 15:49
Way to go Kirby!!
I like this thread and hope it keeps up;not because we are worried
about you but because we are proud of you! Just stay away from
lightning and dont tent under a tree with dead limbs on it.You can
do it!
Oldfivetango

And don't tent in a tree, or under a tree with bears in it. The most common cause of bear death is said to be falling out of trees, so you don't need to be killed by a falling bear.

Appalachian Tater
03-08-2008, 16:01
Vermont, Idaho, and Arkansas all have a "Kirby Mountain".

GGS2
03-08-2008, 16:08
It appears that boy's been around.

rafe
03-08-2008, 16:14
DeLorme Topo shows Kirbies in AR, IN, MO, MS, MT, OH, PA, TN, TX, VT, WA, WI, WV, and WY. After that it's Kirby Bridge, Kirby Canyon, Kirby Corner, Kirby Creek, Kirby Gap, Kirby Gulch, etc.

mudhead
03-08-2008, 17:01
http://www.kirby.com/

orangebug
03-08-2008, 17:22
Just got up to date on Kirby's journal. He has done a terrific job, and sounds like a very strong hiker. I suspect he is going to have trouble being slow enough for his group. I hope all goes well for him.

ki0eh
03-08-2008, 17:28
http://www.kirby.com/

Nothin' UL about that...

JAK
03-08-2008, 17:37
http://www.kirby.com/Geez he really is a young'n.

Montego
03-08-2008, 17:42
DeLorme Topo shows Kirbies in AR, IN, MO, MS, MT, OH, PA, TN, TX, VT, WA, WI, WV, and WY. After that it's Kirby Bridge, Kirby Canyon, Kirby Corner, Kirby Creek, Kirby Gap, Kirby Gulch, etc.

Ahhh - nothin' like an extended family :D

Happy hiking Kirby my friend.

bullseye
03-08-2008, 17:42
Oh he'll be all right. in fact here's a picture of him taken just this morning.
http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:Tdq2eXEISxYJ:www.freewebs.com/kirby100000/ninja_kirby.gif (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.freewebs.com/kirby100000/ninja_kirby.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.freewebs.com/kirby100000/imagegallery.htm&h=125&w=108&sz=19&tbnid=Tdq2eXEISxYJ:&tbnh=125&tbnw=108&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=2)

Keep on truckin' Kirby, you're gonna be fine.

clured
03-08-2008, 17:54
My Dad has informed me that he will pull the plug on my hike if I get seperated from them, so I need to be in their vicinity, ...
Kirby

And how exactly would he do that? Your dad can't do anything. If you're already ahead of these people after what, like four days (?), then the dynamic isn't working and won't start working. If you want to finish, leave the group and do it alone.

Montego
03-08-2008, 18:01
And how exactly would he do that? Your dad can't do anything. If you're already ahead of these people after what, like four days (?), then the dynamic isn't working and won't start working. If you want to finish, leave the group and do it alone.

Being that Kirby is under 18 years old, I wouldn't say Dad can't do anything, IMO.

mweinstone
03-08-2008, 18:30
kirby quit today. hes had enough. he sited his dads interference and the lameness of the group as his reasons. we also discussed the stress of his haveing to lie about likeing the group. in fact he was way ahead of them doing fine but felt the rules being imposed on him were too much. we talked about him waiting till me and johnney thunder start on the first. we could catch him and cheer him up. but hes gone home. his dads a ,....well. worrywart. i respect that. im a wart of a worrying dad too. but kirby was being supported by such love and kindness and all his dad gave was greif.

post i read in a nightmare last eve.

JAK
03-08-2008, 18:42
Judging by what we know of the Kirbster I'm guessing he didn't just randomly fall from any old tree so I have no doubt that he and his dad will work out what is best. Looking forward to reading more. He certainly has a different perspective being of a different generation, despite being more responsible than most of his generation, or most of the many in between for that matter. It really is an interesting read so far. His writing is still a little rough around the edges but I'm sure that will change also. Anyhow, this is just his first of what might be many thru-hikes and other adventures. It's interesting, and somwhat humbling in a way, to think he might still be writing adventure stories long long after we are all gone.

GGS2
03-08-2008, 18:44
All I get about Kirby and his dad is love. I expect that there's a worrying mom in the background, too. I wouldn't be surprised if his dad was blocking for him. It's tough for parents to let go sometimes.

JAK
03-08-2008, 18:44
I'm sure it will all work out for the best in the long run.
Many miles and many years ahead.

mweinstone
03-08-2008, 19:03
kid kurb is an old soul. we knew that on first glimps. hes closet billville. and hikeopathic. he wont stop. he dosnt feel pain. hes not going to stp till every last white blaze is dead. i was sent back to help you kirby. use the smors young padwan. they contain calcium , cocoa and metaclorines. this one will go far. he is our last hope. their is another ben,......his sister,.......jessabelle thunder. she was kept hidden from the emporer matthewski.

shelterbuilder
03-08-2008, 19:28

As I understand it, "hiking with the group" was a condition that Kirby's Dad had imposed on him, and one to which Kirby agreed. If he wants to continue the hike without MAJOR interference from the home front, he's GOT to find a way to stay with the group and make the dynamic work somehow. The whole idea of hiking "2-abreast" is a bit ludicrous, and his Dad is probably aware of this, but he does need to continue to stay within a day or so of the group's location and "check in" once in a while.

And, yes, as the parent of a minor, there's a whole lot that Kirby's Dad could do. Kirby seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and I think that a lot of us tend to forget that, legally, he IS a minor. And I also think that Kirby's Dad is probably checking in here occasionally - I know that I would, in the same circumstance - so I think that all of US owe it to Kirby to not make statements that could be interpreted as "inflammatory". Kirby's parents have given him a HUGE vote of confidence by allowing him to start this hike, and it's only been a couple of days, so let's let things unfold and see how Kirby handles it.

weary
03-08-2008, 21:30
Being that Kirby is under 18 years old, I wouldn't say Dad can't do anything, IMO.
And being 16-years-old and a member of a family that let him go on a 2,175-mile walk prior to graduating high school, I suspect Kirby will do all he can to keep his Dad happy.

Weary

Montego
03-08-2008, 21:32
And being 16-years-old and a member of a family that let him go on a 2,175-mile walk prior to graduating high school, I suspect Kirby will do all he can to keep his Dad happy.

Weary

True enough

WhiteFever
03-08-2008, 21:37
Another "mom" wishes you well, Kirby. Be safe!!!

clured
03-08-2008, 22:13
As I understand it, "hiking with the group" was a condition that Kirby's Dad had imposed on him, and one to which Kirby agreed. If he wants to continue the hike without MAJOR interference from the home front, he's GOT to find a way to stay with the group and make the dynamic work somehow. The whole idea of hiking "2-abreast" is a bit ludicrous, and his Dad is probably aware of this, but he does need to continue to stay within a day or so of the group's location and "check in" once in a while.

And, yes, as the parent of a minor, there's a whole lot that Kirby's Dad could do. Kirby seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and I think that a lot of us tend to forget that, legally, he IS a minor. And I also think that Kirby's Dad is probably checking in here occasionally - I know that I would, in the same circumstance - so I think that all of US owe it to Kirby to not make statements that could be interpreted as "inflammatory". Kirby's parents have given him a HUGE vote of confidence by allowing him to start this hike, and it's only been a couple of days, so let's let things unfold and see how Kirby handles it.

Fair enough. If Kirby's dad reads any of this, I'd tell him that there's no better thing for his kid to be doing, and that concerns about his wellbeing, while completely understandable, aren't really warranted in the end; the AT's full of great people, and the trail itself isn't dangerous. I just want him to be successful (ie, to finish). I was 19 last summer when I did it (given, those three years make a big difference, but maybe not that much..), and it was the best thing I've ever done.

orangebug
03-08-2008, 23:41
Uh, Kirby's parents have had to deal with fear after Meredith Emerson's murder, watching Deliverance and lots of other reasons to give parents foreboding. How to balance letting your kid grow up, versus protecting him.

Not an easy task for kid or parent.

Tin Man
03-08-2008, 23:51
Uh, Kirby's parents have had to deal with fear after Meredith Emerson's murder, watching Deliverance and lots of other reasons to give parents foreboding. How to balance letting your kid grow up, versus protecting him.

Worrying about your kids is an ageless thing as I recently found out when I asked my parents when I could stop worrying about my kids.

Almost There
03-09-2008, 00:25
Just got back from helping Winton and Survivor Dave out with the party tonight, great time and some good people. Ron Haven came down and picked up Kirby and brought him by. Seems like a really good kid, chatted for a little while. He will be fine out there. Very mature for his age.

Jan LiteShoe
03-09-2008, 00:42
Not much different than keeping a journal online but I tend to agree.

The difference here is it's more social and interactive.
We can Monday Morning quarterback, LOL... on a Saturday, say.

TOW
03-09-2008, 06:59
Hey Kirby, when you arrive in Damascus I hope to cook you up some dinner and meet you.

oldfivetango
03-09-2008, 09:39
Hey Kirby, when you arrive in Damascus I hope to cook you up some dinner and meet you.

Did he really quit?
Sounds like what he really needs is one dependable
partner.I would not want him hitching alone and would
not particularly wanting WhiteBlaze members advertising
his immediate whereabouts either.
Oldfivetango

emerald
03-09-2008, 09:55
Sounds like what he really needs is one dependable partner.

Oldfivetango

A responsible adult who's an experienced hiker and meets with Kirby's parents' approval might be what's needed should the group plan prove unsatisfactory.

I only know what I read online and am reluctant to comment at all. I'm not Kirby's parent, nor is WhiteBlaze, but hope an arrangement can be worked out that will ease his parents' concerns and that he will succeed in reaching Katahdin.

Survivor Dave
03-09-2008, 09:56
Ran into Kirby up at Neels for "The Bash" and Wintons B-Day party last night. He was shuttled in from Hiawassee as he was still waiting for the rest of his group. It was pretty cool to meet him for the first time. He looks well and I will verify he is eating WELL. How many burgers and hot dogs Kirbs? LOL

Keep truckin' Kirbs!

oldfivetango
03-09-2008, 10:01
So are we to conclude that he has not quit?
I sure hope they let him "go for it".
It could be worse,he could be sitting on his duff looking
at a computer screen or<GASP!>playing video games!:D
Oldfivetango

Lone Wolf
03-09-2008, 10:03
So are we to conclude that he has not quit?
I sure hope they let him "go for it".
It could be worse,he could be sitting on his duff looking
at a computer screen or<GASP!>playing video games!:D
Oldfivetango

who said he quit? he's slackin' today

oldfivetango
03-09-2008, 10:12
kirby quit today. hes had enough. he sited his dads interference and the lameness of the group as his reasons. we also discussed the stress of his haveing to lie about likeing the group. in fact he was way ahead of them doing fine but felt the rules being imposed on him were too much. we talked about him waiting till me and johnney thunder start on the first. we could catch him and cheer him up. but hes gone home. his dads a ,....well. worrywart. i respect that. im a wart of a worrying dad too. but kirby was being supported by such love and kindness and all his dad gave was greif.

post i read in a nightmare last eve.

This is sorta why I got the impression that he quit.Having checked
the poster,I suspect it is a bs rumor.
Oldfivetango

dixicritter
03-09-2008, 10:26
This is sorta why I got the impression that he quit.Having checked
the poster,I suspect it is a bs rumor.
Oldfivetango

Read the last line of that post, he said it was a post he read in a nightmare. I started to edit his original post to bold that last line so everyone would see it, but didn't do it for fear of being accused of censorship or something. :)

oldfivetango
03-09-2008, 10:28
Thanks for clearing that up,Dixie.I forgot to look down about
eight spaces or so and didn't pick that up.Old age will do that to
ya.
OFT

SawnieRobertson
03-09-2008, 10:33

Wonderful post! And a great byline. Thanks.--Kinnickinic

dixicritter
Thanks for clearing that up,Dixie.I forgot to look down about
eight spaces or so and didn't pick that up.Old age will do that to
ya.
OFT

I almost did the same thing, that's why I thought about bolding that line to make it stand out. I was afraid people were going to start freaking out. And You're welcome OFT. :)

emerald
Read the last line of that post, he said it was a post he read in a nightmare. I started to edit his original post to bold that last line so everyone would see it, but didn't do it for fear of being accused of censorship or something. :)

You've got to be careful. With such an affront, you might establish a new front and one can only defend so many postions simultaneously while reading the post.;)

SawnieRobertson
03-09-2008, 10:44
Judging by what we know of the Kirbster I'm guessing he didn't just randomly fall from any old tree so I have no doubt that he and his dad will work out what is best. Looking forward to reading more. He certainly has a different perspective being of a different generation, despite being more responsible than most of his generation, or most of the many in between for that matter. It really is an interesting read so far. His writing is still a little rough around the edges but I'm sure that will change also. Anyhow, this is just his first of what might be many thru-hikes and other adventures. It's interesting, and somwhat humbling in a way, to think he might still be writing adventure stories long long after we are all gone.

LIVING adventure stories is even more humbling. We've got to realize that, like the rest of us, he's aging. (A little bird told me that he'll be 17 years old Thursday, March 14).--Kinnickinic:banana

Lone Wolf
03-09-2008, 10:46
LIVING adventure stories is even more humbling. We've got to realize that, like the rest of us, he's aging. (A little bird told me that he'll be 17 years old Thursday, March 14).--Kinnickinic:banana

too bad he ain't turning 18 then all this hiking with a group crap wouldn't matter :)

oldfivetango
03-09-2008, 10:46
People shouldn't start "bs" about others anywhere,including
message boards,followed by a halfhearted "just kidding" way
down at the end that the eye may not necessarily notice.

Time to exercise the "ignore" option for an alltime first.
Oldfivetango

Lone Wolf
03-09-2008, 10:48
People shouldn't start "bs" about others anywhere,including
message boards,followed by a halfhearted "just kidding" way
down at the end that the eye may not necessarily notice.

Time to exercise the "ignore" option for an alltime first.
Oldfivetango

matty didn't "start" any BS. you just have poor reading comprehension.

oldfivetango
03-09-2008, 10:52
matty didn't "start" any BS. you just have poor reading comprehension.

Apparently alot of others do to,LW,or there would not have
been so much discussion about the family dynamics,just sayin'.

BTW,I think I know bs when I see it.
Oldfivetango

Lone Wolf
03-09-2008, 10:54
Apparently alot of others do to,LW,or there would not have
been so much discussion about the family dynamics,just sayin'.

BTW,I think I know bs when I see it.
Oldfivetango

read kirby's journal if you want up to date info on the kid. here ain't the place to get it

oldfivetango
03-09-2008, 10:57
read kirby's journal if you want up to date info on the kid. here ain't the place to get it

Excellent point,his last post that I checked was on the 7th.
Thought someone was trading on personal inside info.
Will stick to the TJ henceforth.
Oldfivetango
(over and out)

SawnieRobertson
03-09-2008, 11:14
As you know, I have lived to an "advanced age." It was at least 25 years ago, however, that I came to one of my greatest epiphanies about my life. I realized that at 17 I had more sense than I ever did before or since. Instead of wanting to live my life as others wanted (dictated), I had a true vision of Self. Of course, that was in the early 1950s, and I was a girl. To think out of the box was not condoned by society. I applaud Kirby. Like someone mentioned above, he probably didn't fall far from the tree. I applaud his dad for being open to his hike. Is there anyone on this list who believes that Kirby will ever regret exchanging this experience for a year in high school? Is there anyone here who thinks he has such a poor self image that he will allow himself to fall into a "wrong crowd" on the trail? I doubt it.--KK

StarLyte
03-09-2008, 11:43
You have every right to worry about Kirby.

Some folks need to be reminded what respect means. :rolleyes:

Try and relax and know that he is using his best judgment and what he has learned from others and it will get you thru the rest of his hike.

Trust me...Kirby is growing up as we speak. :sun

No news is usually good news, right ?

Rest easy mum.

The Scribe
03-09-2008, 11:59
I am glad to hear Kirby is OK. I had arranged to transcribe his journal for him but had not heard anything. So I was surprised to see all those entries posted. And happy to read them.

Then I read here from him that he decided to not use Pocketmail which is how I was going to receive his entries. I know he originally wanted to write them longhand and mail them but reasons at my end made that not a good idea so he said he would email me some and write some for someone else to post.

Glad to see he is well on his way and doing well. And to be honest I didn't know he was only 16. Way to go!!!

LW and TOW show him that great Damascus hospitality and maybe it's a good thing he won't turn 18 this week. :D

Happy birthday Kirby. I am only a couple of days (and many years) behind you in that regard.

Survivor Dave
03-09-2008, 12:08
Guys, Guys, Guys,(Gals),

I saw him last night, he's doing great......Give it a break.

I agree with Wolf, if you want the details, go to his TJ.

Starlyte, your correct. He is growing up as we speak.

$hit, he's a lot more mature than most here on WB including myself in some ways.

Too many mother hens here. Go hike with him if you want a play by play.

Just go hike anywhere, get a life.........Geez.:D

cannonball
03-09-2008, 12:34

Very well said.

As a parent, if you find your self on your knees its not because your weak, your just trying to get stronger.

Jason of the Woods
03-09-2008, 12:46
This is great I only wish that I would have embarked on such a respectable journey at his age. Good Luck Kirby! Happy hiking!

Kirby
03-09-2008, 20:30
Evening everyone, interesting thread thus far.

I am still on the trail, having a blast thus far. I have severed ties with my group, with the blesssing of my dad. I am at Cloud9 tonight, tomorrow I shall hike into NC. My journal will be up to date by the end of the week.

I have my birthday thursday, I am hoping to be in Franklin, I will have a quiet thing.

I have no intentions of leaving trail, I am having a blast, slackpack today, tough section between Unicoi and Dick's Creek Gap.

Well, I am going to go relax, 10-14 miles tomorrow, looking forward to it.

By the way, I have enjoyed the company of my group, but my pace is faster than them, I hope they enjoy their trip.

I am free. I have not even thought about where I will be Tuesday, I am not even sure where I will hike to tomorrow.

Life is good.

Kirby

Montego
03-09-2008, 20:44
Congratulations Kirby. Hope your hike continues to go well.

Message to Dad: As a father of two grown kids and four grandkids, I know how hard it is to let your son "test" his wings. Be assured that Kirby has a whole community watching out for him and in a short (relative) time your son will return with a gleam in his eye and a better understanding of not only himself, but others as well. Kudos to you Dad.

Chuck

Kirby
03-09-2008, 20:47
The Only Wander was wondering when I would be in Damascus, so I will just tell everyone. I plan to be there sometime between April 10th and 20th.

orangebug
03-09-2008, 20:49
I have frequently noticed that kids who experience life before college tend to do better academically on several accounts. They have a better grasp of why they are in school - preparation for life rather than for party. They seem to understand the benefits of work and discipline. They seem to understand how teamwork can help focus project completion, rather than allow pettiness and politics to intrude.

Whether Kirby and his parents have considered this aspect of his trip matters little. I think he will have numerous unanticipated benefits.

ChinMusic
03-09-2008, 20:50
I am free. I have not even thought about where I will be Tuesday, I am not even sure where I will hike to tomorrow.

You got it figured out......:D

Lyle
03-09-2008, 20:51
Kirby.

Best wishes for a fantastic hike. Make sure you remember what great folks you have for allowing you this opportunity, make 'em proud!

If you need anything, you know you just have to ask here on WB and you will get any assistance we can give.

Hike on - Hike safe - and have a blast!!!!

Jan LiteShoe
03-09-2008, 21:19
I have my birthday thursday, I am hoping to be in Franklin, I will have a quiet thing.

<snip!>

Life is good.

Kirby

Hey, mine is Wednesday, fellow Fish; I hope to be in the garden, shoveling compost, having a quiet thing; and yes, life is good.
But...
You really think Ron Haven is going to let you have "a quiet thing?"
:D

Skidsteer
03-09-2008, 21:40
Someone needs to merge Kirby's other thread to give "The Thread" a run for it's money. Not Skidsteer though, he loses posts! :p

You got that right!

Looks like beautiful weather for the next 4-5 days, if not more.

Ron Haven
03-09-2008, 22:24
The Only Wander was wondering when I would be in Damascus, so I will just tell everyone. I plan to be there sometime between April 10th and 20th.I believe he's going to do good.I saw him at Hiawassee and Neels Gap yesterday.

mweinstone
03-10-2008, 01:00
kirby found dreads in his hair this morning and cut them out with a scissors. also hes 12 feet tall and rides a unicycle down the trail wearing the skin and horns of minnesota smith. last night kirby ate three policemen and burped. in five minutes his dad will be 600 years old and noah's commin over. i have kirbys replacment heart valve i forgot to mail it to neels. whoops!

these pretzels are salty

kirby lost his vergin atlantic bus ticket today while spending time with a hiker chick who's 18!

take-a-knee
03-10-2008, 01:36
kirby found dreads in his hair this morning and cut them out with a scissors. also hes 12 feet tall and rides a unicycle down the trail wearing the skin and horns of minnesota smith. last night kirby ate three policemen and burped. in five minutes his dad will be 600 years old and noah's commin over. i have kirbys replacment heart valve i forgot to mail it to neels. whoops!

these pretzels are salty

kirby lost his vergin atlantic bus ticket today while spending time with a hiker chick who's 18!

You are one seriously twisted muldoon.

SawnieRobertson
03-10-2008, 10:32
The Only Wander was wondering when I would be in Damascus, so I will just tell everyone. I plan to be there sometime between April 10th and 20th.

Reckon I'd better be gathering the ingredients for those chocolate chip cookies.

Yep. As others have been pointing out, you and your family have a team of volunteers there for you as needed all along the trail.

Do your parents know how to contact us if THEY develop a need?

Congratulations, Kirby. :banana

Kinnickinic

ASUGrad
03-10-2008, 17:00
"kirby lost his vergin atlantic bus ticket today while spending time with a hiker chick who's 18"

Wounds my heart with a monotonous languor

I repeat

I never know what you guys are on about.

saimyoji
03-10-2008, 17:15
flash.....

RITBlake
03-10-2008, 17:42
yah about that...

Skidsteer
03-10-2008, 18:31

Yeah, but he's our seriously twisted muldoon. :D

Be grateful he's close so we can keep an eye on him.

mudhead
03-10-2008, 18:34
Heck, I got that last line. Been wondering when volunteers would show up.

Hope he's got a raincoat.

Lilred
03-10-2008, 19:01

these pretzels are salty

Where do you come up with this stuff????!!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/funny.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

JAK
03-10-2008, 20:03
"kirby lost his vergin atlantic bus ticket today while spending time with a hiker chick who's 18"

I repeat

I never know what you guys are on about.
I like Siamese cats.

Daphne to Monique: There is a fire at the travel agency. It is no use to get there.

Tin Man
03-10-2008, 20:05
Where do you come up with this stuff????!!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/funny.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

He is an artist...in more ways than one.

Lost My Mind
03-10-2008, 21:14

Why do you come up with this stuff???!!!!

Dances with Mice
03-10-2008, 21:34
Matt, you know we love you and we all know you're certified harmless but we're trying to keep Kirby's parents from worrying too much about him being out on the Trail solo, y'know? Solo by parental not hiker standards. So dial it down, don't Dali it up.

I really don't believe in having long threads devoted to just one person's hike.

JAK
03-10-2008, 22:15
I think its all great stuff, and I'll bet Kirby and his folks get it. Mainers are hip. Kerouac's folks probably passed through Maine on their way to Lowell. The Kirbster was a schollar even before he gone on the road. I'm not an artist, but I know what I like. It's all good.

The beat goes on. Never mind the Ten Essentials Kirby.
Consider Jack's Thirty. Don't return home without 'em.

1. Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for yr own joy
2. Submissive to everything, open, listening
3. Try never get drunk outside your own house
4. Be in love with your life
5. Something that you feel will find its own form
6. Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
7. Blow as deep as you want to blow
8. Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind
9. The unspeakable visions of the individual
10. No time for poetry but exactly what is
11. Visionary tics shivering in the chest
12. In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you
13. Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
14. Like Proust be an old teahead of time
15. Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog
16. The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye
17. Write in recollection and amazement for yrself
18. Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea
19. Accept loss forever
20. Believe in the holy contour of life
21. Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind
22. Don't think of words when you stop but to see picture better
23. Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning
24. No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge
25. Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it
26. Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form
27. In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness
28. Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better
29. You're a Genius all the time
30. Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven

Dances with Mice
03-10-2008, 22:24
Hang onto that lesson plan for a few more years, professor. He's got a full course load already.

JAK
03-10-2008, 22:30
True enough, thought it can't hurt to plant a few seeds of indifferent disposition. ;)

Mother Nature
03-10-2008, 22:32
Smokestack and I took him out to dinner Sunday evening. He enjoys and follows these threads carefully.

I think he needs the link with the light humor and emotional connection to helpful WBers.

It would be very helpful not to terrify his parents. :p

He is striving to find someone his age to hike with and has several leads on hikers within striking distance. He has heard of another 17 yr old in the area and I look forward to his next update on his journal when he reaches Hiawassee and Franklin to see if he has located this hiker. He doesn't know the hiker's name.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-10-2008, 22:37
::: Dino wraps a comforting tail around Kirby's parents and leaves Kirby in Mother Nature's capable hands :::

JAK
03-10-2008, 22:38
As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
- Marcel Proust

JAK
03-10-2008, 22:48
We are healed from Proust only by experiencing it to the full. :D

A change in the weather is sufficient to recreate the world and ourselves. A fashionable milieu is one in which everybody's opinion is made up of the opinion of all the others. Has everybody a different opinion? Then it is a literary milieu. A powerful idea communicates some of its strength to him who challenges it. A woman one loves rarely suffices for all our needs, so we deceive her with another whom we do not love. All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last. As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress. Every reader finds himself. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument that makes it possible for the reader to discern what, without this book, he would perhaps never have seen in himself. Everything great in the world comes from neurotics. They alone have founded our religions and composed our masterpieces. Habit is a second nature which prevents us from knowing the first, of which it has neither the cruelties nor the enchantments. Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind. Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible. If a little dreaming is dangerous, the cure for it is not to dream less but to dream more, to dream all the time. If only for the sake of elegance, I try to remain morally pure. Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey. In a separation it is the one who is not really in love who says the more tender things. In theory one is aware that the earth revolves, but in practice one does not perceive it, the ground upon which one treads seems not to move, and one can live undisturbed. So it is with Time in one's life. It is always during a passing state of mind that we make lasting resolutions. It is in moments of illness that we are compelled to recognize that we live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom, whole worlds apart, who has no knowledge of us and by whom it is impossible to make ourselves understood: our body. It is not because other people are dead that our affection for them grows faint, it is because we ourselves are dying. Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. Let us leave pretty women to men devoid of imagination. Lies are essential to humanity. They are perhaps as important as the pursuit of pleasure and moreover are dictated by that pursuit. Like everybody who is not in love, he thought one chose the person to be loved after endless deliberations and on the basis of particular qualities or advantages. Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of saying a simple thing in a simple way. Love is a reciprocal torture. Love is space and time measured by the heart. No exile at the South Pole or on the summit of Mont Blanc separates us more effectively from others than the practice of a hidden vice. Only through art can we emerge from ourselves and know what another person sees. Our intonations contain our philosophy of life, what each of us is constantly telling himself about things. People can have many different kinds of pleasure. The real one is that for which they will forsake the others. People wish to learn to swim and at the same time to keep one foot on the ground. The bonds that unite another person to our self exist only in our mind. The charms of the passing woman are generally in direct proportion to the swiftness of her passing. The only paradise is paradise lost. The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. The paradoxes of today are the prejudices of tomorrow, since the most benighted and the most deplorable prejudices have had their moment of novelty when fashion lent them its fragile grace. The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. The time at our disposal each day is elastic; the passions we feel dilate it, those that inspire us shrink it, and habit fills it. The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. The world was not created once and for all time for each of us individually. There are added to it in the course of our life things of which we have never had any suspicion. There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we spent with a favorite book. There is no man, however wise, who has not at some period of his youth said things, or lived in a way the consciousness of which is so unpleasant to him in later life that he would gladly, if he could, expunge it from his memory. Those whose suffering is due to love are, as we say of certain invalids, their own physicians. Three-quarters of the sicknesses of intelligent people come from their intelligence. They need at least a doctor who can understand this sickness. Time passes, and little by little everything that we have spoken in falsehood becomes true. Time, which changes people, does not alter the image we have retained of them. We are able to find everything in our memory, which is like a dispensary or chemical laboratory in which chance steers our hand sometimes to a soothing drug and sometimes to a dangerous poison. We are healed from suffering only by experiencing it to the full. We become moral when we are unhappy. We do not succeed in changing things according to our desire, but gradually our desire changes. We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us. We must never be afraid to go too far, for truth lies beyond. What a profound significance small things assume when the woman we love conceals them from us. Words do not change their meanings so drastically in the course of centuries as, in our minds, names do in the course of a year or two. Your soul is a dark forest. But the trees are of a particular species, they are genealogical trees.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-10-2008, 22:51
JAK, why are you quoting Marcel Proust in Kirby's thread?

JAK
03-10-2008, 22:59
Read the Favourite Game by Cohen sometime before you are twenty, but don't try to make sense of it until you are older and have more time. Skip his poetry. Write your own.

Find a young girl and toss her just far enough
So she can make a perfect angel in the snow.

Skidsteer
03-10-2008, 23:05
Read the Favourite Game by Cohen sometime before you are twenty, but don't try to make sense of it until you are older and have more time. Skip his poetry. Write your own.

Find a young girl and toss her just far enough
So she can make a perfect angel in the snow.

But JAK, why are you quoting Marcel Proust in Kirby's thread?

JAK
03-10-2008, 23:07
JAK, why are you quoting Marcel Proust in Kirby's thread?Sorry. I got there from Kerouac, and to Kerouac from mweinstone. Now I am on to Cohen but I think I'm done now. My famous blue raincoat is torn at the shoulder.

RITBlake
03-10-2008, 23:15
Jak, google paragraph breaks, I started going blind after line 5

JAK
03-10-2008, 23:22
It's actually just a bunch of quotes strung together. Thought it would be neat to try a sort of amateur Keroac thing. Didn't know Proust was gay by the way. Proust is dead though, in case anyone was worried. ;)

Dances with Mice
03-10-2008, 23:35
Thought it would be neat to try a sort of amateur Keroac thing. Now, Sparky, let's try to abstain.

JAK
03-10-2008, 23:52
As you know, I have lived to an "advanced age." It was at least 25 years ago, however, that I came to one of my greatest epiphanies about my life. I realized that at 17 I had more sense than I ever did before or since. Instead of wanting to live my life as others wanted (dictated), I had a true vision of Self. Of course, that was in the early 1950s, and I was a girl. To think out of the box was not condoned by society. I applaud Kirby. Like someone mentioned above, he probably didn't fall far from the tree. I applaud his dad for being open to his hike. Is there anyone on this list who believes that Kirby will ever regret exchanging this experience for a year in high school? Is there anyone here who thinks he has such a poor self image that he will allow himself to fall into a "wrong crowd" on the trail? I doubt it.--KKSmart lady.

Night all.

oldfivetango
03-11-2008, 07:47

Say TAK,
You can do what I did and drop the "ignore" hammer on his
posts.Nothing personal,I can just do without the senseless
ramblings which do not,incidentally,pass for art.
Oldfivetango

Flush2wice
03-11-2008, 08:24
Say TAK,
You can do what I did and drop the "ignore" hammer on his
posts.Nothing personal,I can just do without the senseless
ramblings which do not,incidentally,pass for art.
Oldfivetango
I just dropped one on JAK.

ASUGrad
03-11-2008, 10:12
Jiminy, it's like a Boy Scout meeting.

Focus, people, focus.

mudhead
03-11-2008, 10:35
Don't like fords.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 22:06
well? where is the kid? been 12 days and he ain't in franklin yet? this "group" must be holdin' him back

Survivor Dave
03-12-2008, 22:10
Wolf, if you would have been payin' attention, he cut his group a' loose after he asked his Dad permission from Hiawassee I think. He was tired of waiting for the group to play catch up.

He has learned what HYOH really means.

Hell man, get the chocolate milk ready for him, he'll be there soon enough!:D:D

well? where is the kid? been 12 days and he ain't in franklin yet? this "group"ust be holdin' him back

Jan LiteShoe
03-12-2008, 22:53
And a happy (slightly early) 17th birthday to Kirby! (see post 96).

You will NEVER forget this birthday, I'll warrant.

Tinker
03-12-2008, 23:35
I was seventeen once - I think! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......trying to remember...........

..............can't. :(

mweinstone
03-13-2008, 07:39
launching kirby seeking matthewski missile from port marys this eve. will begin sytematic tracking and rounding up of all kirbys. tricks delivering me to thruhike this 48 hour period. will seek and annoy with billville optical trackers.

Dances with Mice
03-13-2008, 07:44
ETA GA?

launching kirby seeking matthewski missile from port marys this eve. will begin sytematic tracking and rounding up of all kirbys. tricks delivering me to thruhike this 48 hour period. will seek and annoy with billville optical trackers.

camojack
03-13-2008, 07:44
Good luck to you, my friend! :rolleyes:

Mother Nature
03-13-2008, 08:19
He should be pulling into Franklin sometime today if he keeps to the schedule he discussed with me when he was at Cloud9. Update soon I expect!

Dances with Mice
03-13-2008, 08:26
He should be pulling into Franklin sometime today if he keeps to the schedule he discussed with me when he was at Cloud9. Update soon I expect!I'm sure Ron will make sure he's taken care of in Franklin. I was trying to find out when Matt's going to arrive in GA and if there's enough time to get Matthewski to the little party we're having this Saturday between Neels and Hogpen Gaps. Have y'all sent Olin your reservations to be at that party too?

Mother Nature
03-13-2008, 09:39
I'm sure Ron will make sure he's taken care of in Franklin. I was trying to find out when Matt's going to arrive in GA and if there's enough time to get Matthewski to the little party we're having this Saturday between Neels and Hogpen Gaps. Have y'all sent Olin your reservations to be at that party too?

I didn't know about the party but I can't come anyway. :(

Well actually it is good for me :p .. my son, the soldier, is in the US (Columbus/Ft. Benning) for two months of training and he will be at my cabin this weekend.

Bluebearee
03-13-2008, 10:39
He's in Franklin as of this morning.

Dances with Mice
03-13-2008, 11:17
I didn't know about the party but I can't come anyway. I shouldn't try to be so cryptic - it's the Third Saturday of the Month GATC 'party'. I was hoping Matt could get here in time to drag him out there with us.

It's great that your son is getting some time off and can visit. Y'all have fun.

mweinstone
03-13-2008, 12:19
my name is the worlds largest smile. my feet have cotton candy snack packs to eat. each hair on my arm is singing the song of sweet voodoo magic. aloft my word. sail thy fleet. glimps yonder trail o cardboard jester. wenst thoust goest thy flubber be there. and so it goes linda. and so it goes ms ellerby. billy geen king is mary without a racket. wait, mary has a racket. its little lost lambs on this trail of tears. tears of joy for the sign? ney. alas. that old wood with nary a mile. but so many. cry. below its mark. witch is katahdin.

mweinstone
03-13-2008, 12:25
my best poetry. the stuff i will conquer the art world with one day so so soon. and on that bloody day. when gallerys cry and critics toast, the werdo raised by you all. to be the robin hood. who steals from the rich and gives to the poor? ney. heals the rich and lives with the poor. hell yes. tell it to the marines if you disagree. this one goes till he drops. and my crobar god gave me to pry the wealth away from the horders, is my crayon and my pen. once used by shakesphere and piccoso and all before. with matthewski , once more.

Tin Man
03-13-2008, 12:31
my name is the worlds largest smile. my feet have cotton candy snack packs to eat. each hair on my arm is singing the song of sweet voodoo magic. aloft my word. sail thy fleet. glimps yonder trail o cardboard jester. wenst thoust goest thy flubber be there. and so it goes linda. and so it goes ms ellerby. billy geen king is mary without a racket. wait, mary has a racket. its little lost lambs on this trail of tears. tears of joy for the sign? ney. alas. that old wood with nary a mile. but so many. cry. below its mark. witch is katahdin.

Mathewski, May many majics and geniralosities befell thee upon ur travils and qwest for teh hilly grail at yunder k-mtn retreat and wishish tho kno obscticles that cannit be o'ercome and thy feet meet no defeet.

mudhead
03-13-2008, 12:34
It must be contagious. Help me!

Tin Man
03-13-2008, 12:44
It must be contagious. Help me!

Communicating to someone in their own language lets the other person know you care enough to try, even when your skill is lacking. It's the thought that counts. Hopefully, the thought came across as "best wishes" and not "step off". ;)

Kirby
03-13-2008, 12:45
I am now in Franklin, staying with Ron at the Budget Inn. I will hike out tomorrow.

My journal is updated, enjoy.

Time to complete town chores.

Kirby

Blissful
03-13-2008, 13:02
"Katahdin is no longer just a mountain, it is the representation of the end of an ideological struggle against one's self." (from Kirby's journal)

This is a super line. :)

Keep on goin'!

sonic
03-13-2008, 13:06
"Katahdin is no longer just a mountain, it is the representation of the end of an ideological struggle against one's self." (from Kirby's journal)

Keep on goin'!
....And it only took him 100 miles to figure it out! Excellent.

warren doyle
03-13-2008, 13:23
Katahdin is the majestic physical end of a voluntary spiritual/physical pilgrimage northward from Springer Mt.

You either get there or you don't. You either 'talk the walk' or you 'walk the walk'.

There are many who are in the former category because it is easy. There are fewer in the latter group because it is difficult.

SawnieRobertson
03-13-2008, 13:44
Happy birthday, Kirby! After 16, life just gets better and better (if you choose to live it as you do now). After Franklin the trail gets better and better too. Many happy returns.--Kinnickinic

Thru Hiker Wife
03-13-2008, 15:17
Happy Birthday, Kirby! I'm sure it's one you'll never forget!

Best wishes on your journey!

weary
03-13-2008, 15:19
Thru hiking is difficult enough without a bunch of hangers on cheering and interfering. My suggestion is we let the kid do his thing with minimum comments from wannabes.

Minnesota Smith was old enough and independent enough to ignore the foolishness. Not everyone is.

Weary

RITBlake
03-13-2008, 15:52
Thru hiking is difficult enough without a bunch of hangers on cheering and interfering. My suggestion is we let the kid do his thing with minimum comments from wannabes.

Minnesota Smith was old enough and independent enough to ignore the foolishness. Not everyone is.

Weary

I agree w/ Weary...let this kid hike, stop the constant shadowing. That would be annoying.

Heater
03-13-2008, 17:52
Evening everyone, interesting thread thus far.

I am still on the trail, having a blast thus far. I have severed ties with my group, with the blesssing of my dad. I am at Cloud9 tonight, tomorrow I shall hike into NC. My journal will be up to date by the end of the week.

I have no intentions of leaving trail, I am having a blast, slackpack today, tough section between Unicoi and Dick's Creek Gap.

Well, I am going to go relax, 10-14 miles tomorrow, looking forward to it.

By the way, I have enjoyed the company of my group, but my pace is faster than them, I hope they enjoy their trip.

Life is good.

Kirby

That is great! Glad to hear it. Big Kudos to your trusting parents. Wow.
I just know you will not disappoint them.

Life is good and freedom is greAT. Huh?

:sun

Damn, i wish I was out there.

10-K
03-13-2008, 18:16
I am now in Franklin, staying with Ron at the Budget Inn. I will hike out tomorrow.

My journal is updated, enjoy.

Time to complete town chores.

Kirby

Man, you're really doing a fine job Kirby. I'm really enjoying reading your journal.

I hope to cross paths with you between Damascus and Erwin next month!

zoidfu
03-13-2008, 18:30
I want to hear the story about him going on strike to win concessions from his school.

Kirby
03-13-2008, 20:13
Thanks everyone. Ron Haven and the hikers here bought me a pizza for my birthday(my body can't handle cake), it is quite delicious. Thanks again Ron.

I am enjoying my time here in Franklin, Ron has been a great host!

Time for rest and relaxation, I need to write today's journal entry, I will try to have that up tonight.

Kirby
03-13-2008, 20:50
Journal updated, night everyone.

See you on the trail,
Kirby

Ron Haven
03-13-2008, 21:05
Thanks everyone. Ron Haven and the hikers here bought me a pizza for my birthday(my body can't handle cake), it is quite delicious. Thanks again Ron.

I am enjoying my time here in Franklin, Ron has been a great host!

Time for rest and relaxation, I need to write today's journal entry, I will try to have that up tonight.Thank you for giving me the opportunity to meet and serve you here in Franklin.Even though we sung happy birthday here is a reminder we were very glad to have had the chance to see you enjoy it in Franklin,Ron Haven family and the Budget Inn Staff.
:sun

gungho
03-13-2008, 21:59
Glad to hear you were well taken care of on your birthday http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762MNUS)

cannonball
03-14-2008, 11:09

Keep on goin'!
Are you sure this is'nt taken from Socrate's 327 bc journal?

Johnny Thunder
03-14-2008, 11:32

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's lifted verbatim from the seven basic plots as outlined by Tenesse Baldwin Shakespeare in 1903. Kirbster seems to have transended Man Vs Nature and moved right on past Man Vs Technology to Man Vs Himself.

It's like that scene in the Simpsons where Homer finds out he's eaten poisoned sushi.

Flush2wice
03-16-2008, 20:53
Did Socrates thru-hike?

Heater
03-16-2008, 21:09
Did Socrates thru-hike?

I understand he dropped of his heavy tent and will try again this year.

Jan LiteShoe
03-16-2008, 21:24
Did Socrates thru-hike?

Man, Flush2, that is one FREAKY icon!

Tobit
03-16-2008, 22:46
Kirby, if you need ANY support when you get up here to NH later this year, I'm available 24/7.

Flush2wice
03-16-2008, 23:04
Man, Flush2, that is one FREAKY icon!
You should try it. It only hurts for a minute.

Matteroo
03-17-2008, 03:30
Does anyone know if Kirby is related to Uncle Tom (thru 07)? I thought I heard Uncle tom speak of his wife, Mary, and I thought I read in one of Kirbys early journal entries about his aunt Mary. .. Uncle Tom was from Maine. Just curious?! Kirby, maybe you can tell me? Uncle Tom was awesome to hike with last year. Super personality

TOW
03-17-2008, 05:55
You should try it. It only hurts for a minute.
Whoa! That is freaky, where did you get that pic from?

warren doyle
03-17-2008, 18:43
Did Socrates thru-hike?

No. He got only as far as the first hemlock.

max patch
03-17-2008, 18:47

Thats a good one.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-17-2008, 18:48
::: Dino seen giving WD a high five for a great quip :::

SawnieRobertson
03-17-2008, 19:12

:bananaThat was a good one, Dr. Doyle.--Kinnickinic

TOW
03-17-2008, 19:21
Kirby is undoubtedly one of the best writers I have read in awhile! The boy grabs at you and draws you into his excitement!

Ashman
03-17-2008, 21:25

His last words were, "I drank what?"

Tin Man
03-19-2008, 18:01
Here is the where's Kirby thread...for Mrs. Baggins

Mrs Baggins
03-19-2008, 18:39
Here is the where's Kirby thread...for Mrs. Baggins

***low humble Hobbit bow*** Thank you. Now.......Where's Kirby??????

Hooch
03-19-2008, 18:56
***low humble Hobbit bow*** Thank you. Now.......Where's Kirby??????If you go to his TJ (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5132) or, better yet, bookmark it, you'll see that his last entry was on 3/13 and he was in Franklin, NC for his birthday. He was preparing for his "assault on the Smokies".

Heater
03-19-2008, 19:17
***low humble Hobbit bow*** Thank you. Now.......Where's Kirby??????

Rumbling up the trail, taking it all in, like a... a... vacuum cleaner. ...or something...

Bearpaw
03-19-2008, 20:01
I would guess he's in the Fontana area now, or perhaps the first few miles of the Smokies. He's keeping a pace similar to the one I had in 99 right after I got out of the Marine Corps. I took four days from Franklin to Fontana.... So Fontana probably?

Heater
03-19-2008, 20:11
I just wanted to see all the "where is threads" back to back. :cool:

Programbo
03-19-2008, 20:36
Kirby is undoubtedly one of the best writers I have read in awhile! The boy grabs at you and draws you into his excitement!

Yes..He reminds me of another young man from long ago..Eric something. :)

Programbo
03-19-2008, 20:39
PS: Before I get any nasty replies thinking I am comparing young Kirby to Eric in some sort of negative way let me assure you I meant it as a compliment...Like him or not..Believe him or not..ER was a great writer (or was that Tim?) who could paint a picture of hiking a trail like few others and his words helped inspire a LOT of my generation out to the mountains

orangebug
03-19-2008, 20:39
Eric didn't go all that far along the trail. He seemed to have just gone around in large circles near Andrews, and now goes in much smaller circles.

This kid is going pretty linearly, if you ask me.

max patch
03-19-2008, 20:57
Yes..He reminds me of another young man from long ago..Eric something. :)

Uh oh....do we need to audit his journal for ...ahem...accuracy? :0

Programbo
03-19-2008, 21:08
Correction..I was basing my opinion of his writing style based on his WB posts and his reports of earlier hikes...After just reading his entire TJ up til now I am saying he reminds me more of Ed Garvey..What is that like 4-5 trips into town for dinner so far?...LOL...Just teasing :p

Appalachian Tater
03-20-2008, 23:09
Okay, where is he? It's been a week now. Maybe the NPS rangers were waiting for him when he rappelled down the tower on Clingman's Dome and his dad had to go bail him out?

Maple
03-21-2008, 06:57
I think we all have a fond liking for Kirby. But it has been a full week now since his last postings. Does not seem like him. He definitely has a good head on his shoulders, but I still pray that all is okay with him. Can't wait to see his next posting and know all is well with him.

Bluebearee
03-21-2008, 07:42
He made it to the NOC last Saturday and from there was plannng on 3 days to Fontana/Hike Inn by Tuesday. Haven't heard since then, remember you have to have internet access and time to post. I don't know the latest access at either of those places. Don't worry folks, he's in the thick of the spring crush, he'll be fine.

Maple
03-21-2008, 08:40
We will go with the old adage..."No news is good news"

Lyle
03-21-2008, 10:47
[quote=Programbo;571507]PS: Before I get any nasty replies thinking I am comparing young Kirby to Eric in some sort of negative way let me assure you I meant it as a compliment...Like him or not..Believe him or not..ER was a great writer (or was that Tim?) who could paint a picture of hiking a trail like few others and his words helped inspire a LOT of my generation out to the mountains[/quote

I agree Programbo. ER did write an interesting and captivating book. Inspirational to those who were not intimately and critically aware of some discrepancies. Call it "literary license" if you will.

He, along with Colin Fletcher and Peter Jenkins were my early inspirations.

Programbo
03-22-2008, 10:56
I agree Programbo. ER did write an interesting and captivating book......

I notice you said "an interesting and captivating book" in the singular sense..Did you know he had two books?..The more popular "High Adventure..." and a couple of years later, "The Ultimate Adventure.." about his CDT hike with his younger brother.

dessertrat
03-22-2008, 11:52
Let us all agree that Kirby has no obligation to keep us posted. He should hike, and not feel obliged to give any of us a report until he feels like it.

Tin Man
03-22-2008, 12:10
Let us all agree that Kirby has no obligation to keep us posted. He should hike, and not feel obliged to give any of us a report until he feels like it.

Some suggested he just hike and not worry about keeping us posted on every bowel movement. Now that he is hiking, he appears to have embraced the trail instead of the internet. Good move(ment).

Jason of the Woods
03-22-2008, 12:11
Go hike! That's what I think about these threads.....silly stuff!

Programbo
03-22-2008, 16:01

If I may quote Tuco from "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly": "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
I think people were just concerned since he is a nice young lad and although he is under no obligation to report in he had been doing so regularly and it just seemed odd that there was a sudden stop to it...Hopefully he is rolling along down the trail and is to busy to send entries or perhaps even the person posting his TJ entries has had something come up.

JAK
03-22-2008, 16:13
Agreed.
These threads, while much fun within themselves, are not even an echo.

Bluebearee
03-22-2008, 16:38
He called from Newfound Gap around noon (did not go to Gatlinburg) and has decided to stay @ Icewater Spring tonight, pushing on to Tri Corner tomorrow, Standing Bear day after? "Life is good" according to the Kirbster...

Appalachian Tater
03-22-2008, 17:05
Let us all agree that Kirby has no obligation to keep us posted. He should hike, and not feel obliged to give any of us a report until he feels like it.Whether or not anyone agrees to this is irrelevant to the fact that he is not obligated to report.

Besides, there are plenty of spies. Thanks for the report, Bluebearee!

weary
03-22-2008, 17:10
Whether or not anyone agrees to this is irrelevant to the fact that he is not obligated to report.

Besides, there are plenty of spies. Thanks for the report, Bluebearee!
And if he is wise, which he is, he won't encourage everyone to keep looking over his shoulder.

The trail is difficult enough without a fan club second guessing your every move.

Weary

JAK
03-22-2008, 17:13
He is taking a little heat off the Rock though.

Is there a SGT Scissors and SGT Paper by the way?
Just askin'

mudhead
03-22-2008, 17:16
He has parents.

This way, we get to speculate on the sweet, young thing factor.

Maple
03-22-2008, 17:55
he appears to have embraced the trail instead of the internet. Good move(ment).

I think people were just concerned since he is a nice young lad and although he is under no obligation to report in he had been doing so regularly and it just seemed odd that there was a sudden stop to it...Hopefully he is rolling along down the trail and is to busy to send entries or perhaps even the person posting his TJ entries has had something come up.

Thanks for the update and your kindness Bluebearee...if Kirby has embraced the trail over the internet, that is a wonderful thing. It was Kirby's own idea to keep us posted along the way however, and because many of us are now endeared to him, we just like to know he is doing well. I don't think we should be reprimanded for inquiring. I would have been satisfied if someone said they just heard from him and that all was well.

Ashman
03-22-2008, 18:08
His journal is more current than Rock's

Just sayin

Of Course so is Baldthing's!:-?

Lone Wolf
03-22-2008, 19:20

Just sayin

Of Course so is Baldthing's!:-?

rock don't give a **** about the internet or journals. when time permits, he'll post

Tin Man
03-22-2008, 19:34
rock don't give a **** about the internet or journals. when time permits, he'll post

Besides, Rock is on vacation...from his vacation...picking up the trail again on Monday, I believe.

Programbo
03-22-2008, 20:15

Yes but we were concerned when Kirby disappeared :D

Lone Wolf
03-22-2008, 20:18
only packsniffers read journals anyway. christ, they're all the same. go hiking. journalers hog all town's computers. locals can't get on them

weary
03-22-2008, 20:23
only packsniffers read journals anyway. christ, they're all the same. go hiking. journalers hog all town's computers. locals can't get on them
You tell 'em Wolf. These thru hikers need to show some respect.

Lone Wolf
03-22-2008, 20:25

no. they need to walk and not worry about apeasing the wannabes with these stupid journals

Tin Man
03-22-2008, 21:26
no. they need to walk and not worry about apeasing the wannabes with these stupid journals

I would hope they are journaling for reasons other than appeasing wannabes. I would think many are serious about recording their adventure for their families and reminiscing after they are done hiking. After reading a few myself, I cannot for the life of me understand why else they would write about their meals, trips to town, who and what they saw, and other everyday stuff. After you get an idea of what trail life is like, the journals are mostly boring. And it seems kind of creepy to share them with a bunch of strangers.

Programbo
03-22-2008, 21:54
...... journalers hog all town's computers. locals can't get on them

The locals don`t have their own computers at home? :confused:

Tin Man
03-22-2008, 21:57

Go in about any library and you are likely to find someone on the Internet puters. Not everyone can afford them or want the hassle. I believe some WB'ers regularly post from the library in their hometown.

Lone Wolf
03-22-2008, 23:10

not in this town. lotsa poor folk

Ashman
03-23-2008, 05:58
Not to mention that in this case, Kirby is supposed to keep a journal as a requirement of his schooling. Now it can be paper of course, and he can choose not to post it but he is supposed to keep one.

Just sayin :rolleyes:

dessertrat
03-23-2008, 10:27

These thru-hikers need to get a little notebook and a pen. That's a journal. I guess it's too heavy to carry both the notebook, the iPod, and the map, so they just take the iPod.

Lone Wolf
03-23-2008, 10:31
I guess it's too heavy to carry both the notebook, the iPod, and the map,

... and the cell phone, the water filter, leki poles, digital camera, bear spray...

emerald
03-23-2008, 10:48
I guess it's too heavy to carry both the notebook, the iPod, and the map, so they just take the iPod.

... and the cell phone, the water filter, leki poles, digital camera, bear spray...

I'd happily do without every one of them but maps.

Blissful
03-25-2008, 20:43
I read on Pockets trailjournal that Kirby was at Mollies Ridge Shelter on March 20th. He may be out of the SMokies today if he was on that hiker's schedule (and it's actually the same mileage we did through the Smokies). They had some snow and cold temps. Far cry from what we had last year with 70 degrees, wow.

Thoughtful Owl
03-26-2008, 09:10
It has been almost 2 weeks since Kirby last update his TJ. are we sure he is still on the trail? Has anyone seen or heard from the young man?

Lone Wolf
03-26-2008, 09:12
TJs are a pain in the ass to keep up. he'll post when he posts

Bluebearee
03-26-2008, 09:19
It has been almost 2 weeks since Kirby last update his TJ. are we sure he is still on the trail? Has anyone seen or heard from the young man?

See my post #206. Relax folks, let him hike. He's doing fine. He should be in Hot Springs tomorrow.

sonic
03-26-2008, 09:20
According to a post on his trailjournal guest book from his Grandma on the 22nd he told her he would be "out of touch" for a few days. I guees if she isn't worried, we shouldn't be either.

Thoughtful Owl
03-26-2008, 10:06
See my post #206. Relax folks, let him hike. He's doing fine. He should be in Hot Springs tomorrow.

Ok, so someone has heard, seen, etc with Kirby. Gosh, that's all that I was asking? Relax just making sure the kid is OK.

JAK
03-26-2008, 10:12
I still think he should have worn one of those satellite GPS blood pressure, core body temperature, heart rate monitor type devices like the astronauts wear; so we can all monitor his progress in detail, or at least the progress of the first Bull Moose he came across and strapped it onto. :D

Bluebearee
03-26-2008, 13:18
He just landed in Hot Springs... taking a zero tomorrow.

Mad Hatter 08
03-26-2008, 15:02
Tell him I say hi and glad to see him still out there. wish I were too.

Kirby
03-26-2008, 16:47
Hey everyone, sorry about the journal, little access to a computer between Franklin and Hot Springs. The library opens tomorrow at 1PM, and that is when I shall update my journal. I have been keeping a daily journal, and I shall add all my entries tomorrow. I am keeping in pretty good touch with Bluebearee, so she will be able to update you more than I will, I text her from time to time.

Life is good on the trail, having a blast! I had good weather through the Smokies, it snowed on my final day, but that's it.

My next stop is Erwin, TN, where I will most likely stay with Uncle Johnny, as there is a rumor on the trail that MJ will not be open this year, although she is shuttling.

Kirby

Kirby
03-26-2008, 16:52
By the way, I am now carrying the Appalachian Pages, and I am keeping track of the errors, I shall pass along feedback soon.

I am staying with Elmer tonight.

Kirby

TOW
03-26-2008, 16:52
Good to hear from you Kirby. Where you staying at while in Hot Springs? And Matty is behind you and will overtake you soon........

Jaybird62
03-26-2008, 16:54
Hey man, glad to hear you are having a good time. Maybe I will meet up with you in MD or PA and bring you a little NYG helmet or something as a gift. Just kidding man, enjoy!

dixicritter
03-26-2008, 17:01
Good to see you around Kirby! Glad to hear you are having a blast! Looking forward to checking out your journal updates.

Appalachian Tater
03-26-2008, 17:08
Good to hear you're safe and having fun. Elmer's is a wonderful place.

JAK
03-26-2008, 18:23
Hope you are enjoying your hand written journal as much as your hike.
It doesn't have to be a pulitzer any more than the hike has to be a record setter.
Just keep it fun and keep it Kirby and it will keep getting better with time.

I will now add my complusary ambivalent banana. JAK out.

:banana

Thoughtful Owl
03-26-2008, 18:43
Ok, we all now know Kirby is safe and still on the trail. That's all I was asking early in this thread. Be safe Kirby and hike on. That is after your 0 day.

TO

Kirby
03-27-2008, 15:03
My journal is now up to date, enjoy.

I shall hike out of town tomorrow.

Kirby

dixicritter
03-27-2008, 15:05
Good news Kirby. Keep on having fun!

Ashman
03-27-2008, 15:08
Good stuff in there!

Mrs Baggins
03-27-2008, 16:24
My journal is now up to date, enjoy.

I shall hike out of town tomorrow.

Kirby

Read every word. So glad to hear you're doing so well! :D

JAK
03-27-2008, 16:33
Thanks Kirby. I am off to read it now. :banana

Maple
03-28-2008, 06:35
Ok, we all now know Kirby is safe and still on the trail. That's all I was asking early in this thread. Be safe Kirby and hike on. That is after your 0 day.
TO

Hey Kirby,
Keep on having fun. We are all just glad to hear all is going well. Bluebearee did update us a few days ago and that is wonderful. All we want to know is that you are well more than anything else. We love reading your journals too. You have a unique knack for writing. Will look forward to your next journal pages as well, and will follow you to the end of the trail if you will allow us! Thanks
!:sun :banana

Thoughtful Owl
03-28-2008, 08:18
Hey Kirby,
Keep on having fun. We are all just glad to hear all is going well. Bluebearee did update us a few days ago and that is wonderful. All we want to know is that you are well more than anything else. We love reading your journals too. You have a unique knack for writing. Will look forward to your next journal pages as well, and will follow you to the end of the trail if you will allow us! Thanks
!:sun :banana

Took the words right out of my mouth Maple!