PDA

View Full Version : Red River Gorge trail maintenance canceled

John B
03-07-2008, 12:09
For those who do trail maintenance at Red River Gorge, it's canceled until April:

Email from Charlie:

Hey Trail Crew,
The weather has really changed things for this weekend. The weekend forecast is for a rare, deep March snow event, and even if we had planed a ridge top outing the predicted high winds and heavy snow loads would preclude a safe day in the woods. The Gladie Center is on a secondary highway with no residents, this means they will not treat the road until the snow is over and all the other roads are clear. Furthermore, the forecast includes a quarter inch of ice this afternoon to be covered with six inches or more of snow by late Saturday afternoon; dangerous stuff.
This will be the first time we have canceled an outing in the RRGTC’s almost ten year history. I have to consider the safety of our Volunteers and the risk of damage to the Forest Service trucks and equipment. So I guess the responsible thing to do is call it off for this weekend. Sorry.
Our next outing will be April 12th. Surely the weather will be better and I hope to see a lot of you then.
See ya soon, Charlie R.

Charlie Rowe
US Forest Service
705w. College Ave.
Stanton, KY 40380
606-663-0576 Ext. 106

Freeleo
03-07-2008, 12:16
do you have any links to trail maint RRG info?

headchange4u
03-07-2008, 12:18
I live in Richmond but I would be interested in being part of the trail maintenance in the RRG. How do I get info on signing up?

wudhipy
03-07-2008, 12:22
Wow.......for many years I participated with the trail crew in all weather even below zero temps, quite a tradition the trail crew has. A heart felt thanx to Charlie for reaching this decision to cancel the outing for the first time, a tough call but I feel the correct one.

wudhipy

wudhipy
03-07-2008, 12:28
www.gorgecrew.com:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome: welcome

check it out.....it truly is a great group. Charlie Rowe is very committed and has vast knowledge of traditional methods...............I highly reccomend you try this out. Hopefully I'll see ya there.

see ya in the woods

wudhipy

wudhipy
03-07-2008, 12:30
www.gorgecrew.com

check it out.....it truly is a great group. Charlie Rowe is very committed and has vast knowledge of traditional methods...............I highly reccomend you try this out. Hopefully I'll see ya there.

see ya in the woods

wudhipy

John B
03-07-2008, 12:32
If you'd like info on doing maintenance in D.Boone and the gorge, go to this link and sign up:

http://www.gorgecrew.com/

It's a great group and for a good cause. Tools are provided along with safety helmets and vests. You must bring your own work gloves. They do a cookout afterwards and it's lots of fun -- potluck.

Doctari
03-08-2008, 10:47
Just a thought:
Maybe we could plan a whiteblaze group trail maint. You know, give the group a full weekend of trail care for a GREAT area. It would also give us a chance to meet each other.
My schedule is such that I am only off every third weekend, but I'll do my best to be there if someone wants to organize such a "to do" / cordinate with Charlie Rowe.
I got work gloves :D
& if as the site says the do TM on the 2nd sat of the month, I'm free July 12 & 13.

RRG ROCKS! by the way.

bigben
03-08-2008, 22:17
I was planning on doing an overnighter at RRG next weekend, 3/15-16. Will the recent weather and the big meltdown coming later this week make it impractible? I was planning on taking the Rough trail from Chimney Top Rd to Koomer ridge to Buck trial to Pinch'em Tight to Rush Ridge back to Rough Trail, camping at Hanson's Point and then taking the Rough back to the truck. Having hiked a good bit of this route before(in the opposite direction), I was worried specifically about how the weather would adversely affect 1) the little creek walk at the bottom of the Buck Trail, 2) the steep uphill on Koomer Ridge and 3) that steep, slick eroded spot on the Rough Trail between Rush Ridge and Pinch'em tight. Should I just pick a different weekend for this hike? How long does snow linger in the Gorge?

Bigben