PDA

View Full Version : seam sealing

Wags
03-07-2008, 13:18
hi guys!

got a few questions about it.

#1. do you seal both your tent and your rainfly or just they fly? i mean is there any purpose to sealing both? if you do seal the tent do you do all seams or are there ones you omit? do you just do the tub floor seam?

#2. do you use the spray on stuff of the tube compound? will any sealer work or are there brands that really work well and others that suck?

partinj
03-07-2008, 13:38
Hi Warmart has some the same stuff you can get from campmor or rei i think it was under 3.00 It is a water base seam sealer it is in their camping area.
:sun

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 13:41
What are you sealing? If it is silnylon, use diluted silicon caulking.

earlylight
03-07-2008, 16:37
hi guys!

#1. do you seal both your tent and your rainfly or just they fly? i mean is there any purpose to sealing both? if you do seal the tent do you do all seams or are there ones you omit? do you just do the tub floor seam?

#2. do you use the spray on stuff of the tube compound? will any sealer work or are there brands that really work well and others that suck?

just wrote an article on this, see:
http://sectionhiker.com/2008/02/25/seam_sealing_a_tent/

The Weasel
03-07-2008, 18:02
hi guys!

I seal all seams on my fly and tent. If you don't, beads of water will come in through the threadholes of the fly in greater volume than you might think, since seams tend to be in places that water runs to. If water comes through the fly, it will drip through ceiling screens or go to the inner fabric which is often not waterproofed. Seams aboe the tub need it since water can blow under a fly. Remember the corrollary to Murphy's Law: "Nature sides with the hiddon flaw."

Spray is usually a mistake unless your tent/fly's waterproofing has worn out over the years. Tube/bottle sealant works best. REI's house brand has worked well for me.

TW