PDA

View Full Version : Dick Kelty passed away

Streamweaver
01-16-2004, 14:07
"'Dick' Kelty, who designed hiking
backpacks with waist straps, dead at 84

The Associated Press

GLENDALE, Calif. (AP) - Asher I. "Dick" Kelty, whose innovative design of lightweight backpacks with external frames and waist straps made his brand of packs popular with many hikers, has died. He was 84.

Kelty died of congestive heart failure at home on Monday, said his wife of 57 years, Nena.

Born in Duluth, Minn., Kelty moved to Glendale in 1922. He worked for Lockheed Overseas Corp in England,
joined the Navy, and later worked as a carpenter in Southern California.

An avid hiker and camper in the Sierra Nevada mountains, Kelty launched his now well-known brand of backpacks out of his home in 1952.

The packs contoured to hikers' bodies and contrasted with others on the market that featured heavy and cumbersome wood frames and canvas bags. Kelty packs also had padded shoulder straps and most importantly, waist straps that shifted weight from hikers' shoulders to their hips.

Kelty Pack was sold to Boston-based CML Group in 1972, and is now owned by Colorado-based American Recreation Products Inc.

In addition to his wife, Kelty is survived by three children, five grandchildren and three great-grandchildren."

Streamweaver
01-19-2004, 18:01
Not one kind word about Dick Kelty!! Man thats sad if you ask me!!

Doctari
01-21-2004, 20:30
I ment to, sorry!
I have 2 of his packs & love them, was saddened by the news. He will be missed. Hope his packs live on.

Thanks for the heads up, sorry for not posting my feelings on the matter.
:(

Doctari.

Streamweaver
01-21-2004, 21:18
Its prolly my fault for posting it in the gear forum instead of general or something. I too love my kelty packs!! Streamweaver