PDA

View Full Version : montrail hurricane xcr's

skinny minnie
03-07-2008, 14:33
First of all, I want to know if anyone owns these. I have been sick for 2 weeks straight and have decided that if anything can make me feel better, it's going to be new trail running shoes.

Secondly, having obsessively combed the internet, I'm starting to feel a little skeptical about some of the reviews posted. Would any of you really go to multiple websites and post your review? Three times? Because I've noticed several instances of this. And either people have too much time on their hands, or they really, really, really like their shoes. Or it's the company pretending to be customers and posting rave reviews.

Phreak
03-07-2008, 14:40
I wore 'em for years but wouldn't take a pair for free now. It all goes back to Montrail being bought by Columbia, then the shoes went to sheit.

I now wear Salomons.

TheTank
03-07-2008, 14:49
I have a pair. I think they are great. Far better then most of the shoes I have tried.

yappy
03-07-2008, 15:19
i have a pair too ..love em. they are a bit hot though in the summer but they last forever. BUT, new owners now so be careful !

bigcranky
03-07-2008, 15:20
I used to wear a lot of Montrails -- the Hurricane XCR among them. They were good shoes, but didn't quite fit my flat, low-volume foot. I moved on to Salomon and then to New Balance 810's. But the Montrails were, at the time, good shoes. I don't have any experience with the current models, though I've heard the same negative reactions from other hikers.

skinny minnie
03-07-2008, 15:44
what about size? do you all wear the same as your reg. shoe size, or size up a bit?

all i can figure out is that they have a roomy toebox and a narrow heel, which is fine, but i have a pair of vasques right now that i love... but by the end of a long day, i would kill to have a pair about half a size bigger, with a pair of inserts thrown in. of course, the vasques have a pretty narrow toebox and the fit runs real snug, at least in my opinion. and the vasques i own aren't precisely trail runners, either. they're "multisport".

I have had a lot of shoe sales people pointing me towards salomons lately. we shall see.

Dogwood
03-07-2008, 19:04
I do own them. I hiked the Long Trl. in Oct 07 w/them. Very light, particularly for waterproof shoes. Feel like slippers. Gusseted tongue, makes them a bit hard to get on and off w/ high insteps. I have a EEE wide high arch high instep size 13 high volume foot w/ avg. pronation to slight supination. Carried about a 12- 22 lb total pack wt. on my 200lb body. Did think the Montrail supplied insoles were a bit thin, cheap, and not very durable looking so I added after market Superfeet orthotics to increase cushioning, and arch support. Really gripped my foot throughout the interior of the shoe - good heel cup and toe wiggle room but still gripped my forefoot. Great for my hike and foot type. Only gripes were that they felt narrow in the outsole heel area which made them a bit unstable in the heel area. They don't particularly edge well. Overall, a shoe I definitely recommend!!

two-step
03-07-2008, 19:46
I have a small wide foot with what I would call a "regular" arch and have happily (for the most part) worn the hell out of these shoes (on two separate AT hikes.) My suggestion would be to go at least a half size larger, to THOROUGHLY (seriously...wear 'em wear 'em...make sure they're comfy) break them in, and to just try wearing 'cool max' type sock liners (for extra breathability) in the warmer seasons. Pay special attention to the size and cut of your socks as well and where they rub on your heels.

yappy
03-07-2008, 20:09
I have small wide foot too. i go about a size up . I have gotten over 700 miles on these shoes and they still had some life in em. The hard rock though rule !.. new balance is good too but doesn't fit my feet as well. the adidas trail response was a GREAT shoe..