PDA

View Full Version : Should I make the most of the exchange rate?

Cassiusblack
03-07-2008, 15:10
Hello everybody,

I'm British and the exchange rate of pound to dollar is a very desirable one at the moment and i was thinking if perhaps it would be best to just buy all my gear when i get over. I have a very large list of items to get, i.e nearly everything besides my trusty hiking boots and a few pieces of hiking clothing that has served me well over the past few years.
Its not just the price either that i'm thinking about. I have my eye on a Lunar Solo tent at the moment but can't seem to find a retailer in the Uk where i can pick this up. But on the otherhand i can easily get a Hubba which i've heard is just as good.
Plus even though i've done a lot of research over the last few months i can not say that i'm nothing more than a newbie to this game and it may be wise to the get the equipment before i heard out and learn how to use everything.

So any words of advice? And does anyone know a good outfitted in Gainsville or near the southern terminus?

Give me some help folks, Thanks:)

generoll
03-07-2008, 15:19
You could do a lot worse the just going straight to Neels Gap and filling your needs there. Unless you have lots of time to shop around you'll find his prices competitive and the staff knowledgeable. Not sure how you're arranging your ground transportation, but you'll be getting plenty of advice in short order. Have fun.

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 15:27
The Neels Gap idea isn't a bad one, but you could save even more money by ordering stuff over the internet if you have a delivery place in the U.S. The dollar is likely still on the way down, too.

Also look at the Rainbow model at www.tarptent.com

Alligator
03-07-2008, 15:27
It depends on what you are looking to buy. You might not be able to get everything from the same outfitter. That might leave you waiting around for stuff. You also might not save as much buying in one location. It could be very overwhelming too.

There are 2 REI stores in Atlanta if you are arriving through there. You might check out their web page (http://www.rei.com)and see what their prices are and stocked items. They are one of the larger companies.

Cassiusblack
03-07-2008, 15:35
You could do a lot worse the just going straight to Neels Gap and filling your needs there. Unless you have lots of time to shop around you'll find his prices competitive and the staff knowledgeable. Not sure how you're arranging your ground transportation, but you'll be getting plenty of advice in short order. Have fun.

Would i be naive in thinking that friendly mountain folk would take care of all my transportation needs?:) For the first part its a flight to Atlanta and a train to Gainsville. And then i'd have to get a taxi or friendly local to take me up to Neels Gap (30miles away or so, right?)...

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 15:41
No, no, just fly into Atlanta, take the local subway to the northernmost point, then have these people pick you up, put you up overnight, feed you, and drop you off at the trail:

http://www.hikerhostel.com/prices.php

Cassiusblack
03-07-2008, 16:07
Oh and surely there is a big all encompassing thread around here with everyone's views as to which is the best tent, backpack and sleepingbag ect? Its just hiding around here somewhere, isn't it?

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 16:14
Oh and surely there is a big all encompassing thread around here with everyone's views as to which is the best tent, backpack and sleepingbag ect? Its just hiding around here somewhere, isn't it?No, but there are plenty of gear lists and gear discussions! Even some articles under "Thru Hiking Info" at the top of the page (or on the left, depending on where you are.) Keep in mind that on a typical NOBO spring-start thru-hike, you will be hiking through three seasons, with a range of temps possibly from below freezing to well into the 90s (36+ C), with high humidity, lots of rain maybe snow, fog, sleet. Sometimes it seems like if you're not wet from rain, then you're wet from sweat.

generoll
03-07-2008, 16:58
Getting this bunch to agree on which piece of gear is best is like trying to stack marbles. No chance. The hikerhostel suggestion was a good one. Contact them and if they can't provide a shuttle then they can tell you who can. This is the states, forget public transportation. Once you get to the end of MARTA you're on your own.

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 17:01
Getting this bunch to agree on which piece of gear is best is like trying to stack marbles. That's an excellent analogy.

This is the states, forget public transportation. Once you get to the end of MARTA you're on your own. That does depend on the region. Public transportation is pretty handy in the Northeastern megalopolis.

Time To Fly 97
03-07-2008, 17:01
Campmor, 800-campmor, campmor.com

The long and the short of it is: These guys have everything, at decent prices and usually ship same day. I used them for my thru-hike and they were flawless. Cheers.

Happy hiking!

TTF

bfitz
03-07-2008, 17:19
Buying at Neels gap might eat into whatever savings you get from the exchange rate. Shop around and you will surely find good deals online. If you have no gear whatsoever, just buy good basics, you'll have oppurtunities to buy things during the hike after you've started to figure out what you really need and want. Everybody has different stuff and all eventually find out what works for them. No two hikers have the same gear.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
03-08-2008, 21:35
Please do bring as much money as you can right now! With the BP at something above $2, it will be to your advantage to buy everything here, and our balance of trade will return a bit to our favor.

shelterbuilder
03-08-2008, 22:55
I tend to be a bit of a pessimist with regard to airplanes and other forms of public transportation here in the states: if they can lose it, mangle it, or ship it into limbo, they will. I would plan a few extra days into my trip schedule - that way, if you wait to buy your gear until you get here, and have to "waste" a few days looking for something, it won't be something that was unexpected, and if you buy your gear on your side of the pond and the airlines lose it in transit, you'll have a few days to sit and wait (and kick yourself for buying it over there!).

Having said that, Campmor is a great resource for equipment and clothing - great prices (especially on some of their "super deals"), fast shipping, and if there's a problem, they'll make it right. I've also bought equipment from REI, although not recently.

Sly
03-08-2008, 23:04
Yeah, take advantage of the weak dollar. We need the money!

When are you coming? I could pick you up and take you around and fix you up with great gear and then drop you off at the trailhead. Expect to spend about $1200-1500 US for pack, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and a few other items. Better hurry up though I'm out of here in about 8 days!

fiddlehead
03-08-2008, 23:32
You couldn't ask for a better adviser than Sly. I'd take him up on his offer.

You could buy in Atlanta, as you will be going there.
Getting to Neels gap and then back to Amicola could be a slight problem. (both of these options are not the cheapest way, the Campmor advice is good if you can swing it)

Buying online is cheaper but you would need somewhere in, or close to Atlanta to have the stuff sent to. (plus that way you can probably get exactly what you want)

The dollar is mostly likely going to continue to fall but of course that is next to impossible to predict.