PDA

View Full Version : Using Silnet

tcbonline
03-07-2008, 16:06
Ok before I go and ruin my new tent by seam sealing using Silnet, someone that's had some experience using this stuff would you please give me some tips or lessons learned. I've read the general instructions and howtos but I'd like to hear some real world experiences. A couple of questions that I have are...

1. I assume I pitch the tent right and not leave it just laying on the ground while I apply the sealer?

2. Do I apply just on the seam itself, or do I go a little wider than the seam?

3. Do I do the inside the tent seam, outside seam, or both?

4. I've read about apply talcum powder to the sealant after it dries to keep it from sticking to itself. Necessary?

Anyway, just trying to be cautious. I paid a lot of money for this tent and I don't want to ruin it right off the bat!

Thanks for any pointers.

Quoddy
03-07-2008, 17:05
Ok before I go and ruin my new tent by seam sealing using Silnet, someone that's had some experience using this stuff would you please give me some tips or lessons learned. I've read the general instructions and howtos but I'd like to hear some real world experiences. A couple of questions that I have are...

1. I assume I pitch the tent right and not leave it just laying on the ground while I apply the sealer?

2. Do I apply just on the seam itself, or do I go a little wider than the seam?

3. Do I do the inside the tent seam, outside seam, or both?

4. I've read about apply talcum powder to the sealant after it dries to keep it from sticking to itself. Necessary?

Anyway, just trying to be cautious. I paid a lot of money for this tent and I don't want to ruin it right off the bat!

Thanks for any pointers.

1. Set the tent up

2. Dilute the SilNet: 1 part Silnet to 3 parts Odorless Mineral Spirits.
I usual mix in in a small jar by shaking it.

3. Most (normal) seams are done on the inside, but I've seen some styles (like Ray-Way) that are done on the outside.
Apply with a small narrow foam brush covering the visible thread, and also overlapping the edge of the actual seam. Avoid the temptation to use a heavy layer... it's not necessary.

4. Leave it set up as long as possible, but at least 24 hours. No talc is necessary since the tackiness will eventually get covered by natual sources.
It's usually advisable to stripe (or dot) the floor with any left over mix if you have a slippery surface.

It's basically easy to do, but after doing one or two it's even easier. Have fun.

Hoop
03-07-2008, 17:12
Which tent do you have?

tcbonline
03-07-2008, 18:29
Which tent do you have?

Gossamer Gear "The One"!

Quoddy
03-07-2008, 18:44
I suggest that you email Grant at Gossamer Gear for the definitive answer. You'll get a quick response.
[email protected]