PDA

View Full Version : Spam (out of the can) Revisited

Wise Old Owl
03-07-2008, 17:44
LOW Sodium Spam is loaded with Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Ascorbate,and Sodium Nitrate. It has more preservatives than bacon. A wopping 1740 mg of sodium per 12 0z can. So after removing it from the can, what kind of shelf life can we expect?

I had an almost dated can of low sodium spam so I opened it after washing my hands. I cut it up into many slices. Some I put into boil bags other were fried to remove water and still others were put into a food dryer. the pieces that were fried didn't make a big impact with the results

Test results at 70 degrees no light container.

The slices that were untreated lasted about three days in a glad bag. Off by day four/five. – not recommended.

The Seal a meal bag was ok by day five. A little concern by day 7, a 5 minute boil would have been ok.

The Seal a meal bag with vacuum was still edible by day 7-8 after boiling for five minutes. Yes I consumed it.

My picky son consumed all the dried slices after the week was up and we both agree that combined with a hard boiled egg it would make a good breakfast.

I took this on because of the thread down below called Canned Foods, you will see a few people were concerned and justified. I just wanted to let people know the results. I think if you discussed it with Sabar, cheep glad bags are the way to go with her cooking and taking the cans with you. If you are a one person going ultra light and do not want to take the cans, Dry the meat or as they do in Thai, fry–dry it and it will last.

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 17:50
You are a braver man than I.

Johnny Swank
03-07-2008, 17:53
I dig me some Spam. We ate several cans while on the Mississippi.

When I die, just prop me in the corner with a can of PBR in my hand. Thanks!

Survivor Dave
03-07-2008, 18:07
You are living on the edge of disaster my friend. For $0.88, you can buy this at Wal-Mart. Even with sterile gloves and precautions, you are still asking for trouble.

envirodiver
03-07-2008, 18:14
That sounds like the way that the original Navy dive tables were developed.

Take a healthy young man
keep him at a known depth
for a measured time breathing compressed air
If he gets the bends he stayed at that depth too long
If he doesn't then it's OK and send someone down to the same depth for a bit longer.

budforester
03-07-2008, 18:15
I am glad you survived. FWIW, the Staph toxin I mentioned in a previous thread is not degraded by boiling.

Appalachian Tater
03-07-2008, 18:17
Yeah, it's kind of like this new craze for raw milk. There's a good reason for Pasteurization. Eventually there will be deaths. It's basically Russian roulette with better odds.

Survivor Dave
03-07-2008, 18:24
Russian Roulette is only played with one bullet, this gun is fully loaded and the player praying for a dud!:eek:

Yeah, it's kind of like this new craze for raw milk. There's a good reason for Pasteurization. Eventually there will be deaths. It's basically Russian roulette with better odds.

Skidsteer
03-07-2008, 18:50

Pasteurized milk never touched my lips until I was in my mid-twenties.

Guess I was lucky.

Nowadays I'm not much of a milk drinker 'cause I just don't care for the taste of store-bought all that much.

Blissful
03-07-2008, 19:30
Get the Spam in foil pouches. I liked it on the trail, and we still eat it at home, fried, with lettuce and mayo on toasted wheat. :)

Critterman
03-07-2008, 22:02
Pasteurized milk never touched my lips until I was in my mid-twenties.

Guess I was lucky.

Nowadays I'm not much of a milk drinker 'cause I just don't care for the taste of store-bought all that much.

If you ever studied food microbiology, you would run away from raw milk.:eek: My room mate in college would bring it from home all the time. I quit drinking it after that class!

Skidsteer
03-07-2008, 22:19
If you ever studied food microbiology, you would run away from raw milk.:eek: My room mate in college would bring it from home all the time. I quit drinking it after that class!

Oh well.

My sister still drinks no milk but raw milk. She's 44. My parents too, for that matter. They're in their late 60's.

We'd probably all be dead if we had taken a food microbiology course.

Critterman
03-07-2008, 22:39
Oh well.

My sister still drinks no milk but raw milk. She's 44. My parents too, for that matter. They're in their late 60's.

We'd probably all be dead if we had taken a food microbiology course.

You guys just have good healthy cows.

envirodiver
03-07-2008, 23:17
Their cows may have not been from a dairy operation. Where they were given more downtime and not milking constantly thereby increasing the chances of infections and other problems. Plus they were probably drinking the milk the same day it was milked from the cow.

Bob S
03-07-2008, 23:29
I live on a not too busy street, I can blindfold myself and walk across it 100 times and probably not get hit. But that still doesn’t make it a non risky thing to do.

sarbar
03-07-2008, 23:53
Lol..all I have to say is you are braver than me. Having had severe I-wanna-die food poisoning in my lifetime I am anal over food now :( I seriously won't eat left overs that are a) put in the frig within 30 minutes of cooking and b) eaten within 24 hours. I also eat meat on a very rare occasion now. Heck, I don't eat eggs unless they are cooked into a meal.

So yeah, anyone with an iron clad stomach, I pat them on the back :p If I get a Spam craving I'll go get the Spam Singles down at the local Safeway :p That happens about once a decade for Spam Fried Rice (Yum!).

Bulldawg
03-07-2008, 23:56
You are living on the edge of disaster my friend. For $0.88, you can buy this at Wal-Mart. Even with sterile gloves and precautions, you are still asking for trouble.

Ya know I bought a couple of those for my last overnighter, and they SUCKED. They didn't taste like regular spam to me??

minnesotasmith
03-08-2008, 00:33
Is similiar to Vienna Sausage in an essential way. Both should not be regarded as meat, but as fat, substantially saturated fat at that. Real truth-in-advertising would refer to them as "meat-garnished lard".

Turkey SPAM is the only one I'll eat, and that not too often.

Two Speed
03-08-2008, 07:32
Ya know I bought a couple of those for my last overnighter, and they SUCKED. They didn't taste like regular spam to me??John, if it sucked it DID taste like regular Spam. :p

minnesotasmith
03-08-2008, 08:50
Blue can of steel
what promise do you hold?
salt flesh so ripe

Can of metal, slick
soft center, so cool, moistening
I yearn for your salt

Twist, pull the sharp lid
Jerks and cuts me deeply but
Spam, aaah, my poultice.

My friend pork shoulder
I return to you. this time
I've brought mayonnaise

Above all others
porcine treat without equal
there is but one Spam

Clad in metal, proud
no mere salt-curing for you
you are not bacon

And who dares mock Spam?
you? you? you are not worthy
of one rich pink fleck

Grotesque pinkish mass
In a blue can on a shelf
Quivering alone

Like some spongy rock
A granite, my piece of Spam
In sunlight on my plate

Little slab of meat
In a wash of clear jelly
Now I heat the pan

Oh tin of pink meat
I ponder what you may be:
Snout or ear or feet?

Pink tender morsel
Glistening with salty gel
What the hell is it?

Ears, snouts, and innards,
A homogenous mass
Pass another slice

Cube of cold pinkness
Yellow specks of porcine fat
Give me a spork please

Old man seeks doctor
"I eat Spam daily", he says.
Angioplasty

Highly unnatural
The tortured shape of this "food"
A small pink coffin

Pink beefy temptress
I can no longer remain
Vegetarian

Queasy, greasy SPAM
Slithers without propulsion
Across a white plate.

Born in World War Two
Hogs marching off to battle
Dressed in tin armor.

The blue can is square
Why not a circular can?
Too much like dog food.

When I was a kid
Mom would make SPAM casserole
Now she denies it.

Myrrh, frankincense, and
SPAM: the gifts of two wise men
and one complete fool.

Old retired jocks to
star in ads for new SPAM Lite
"Tastes filling!" "Less great!"

After scrutiny,
methinks it is doggie food
I eat on all fours.

In mud you frolicked
Till they cut, cleaned and canned you
How now, ground sow?

Cold SPAM canapes
Served up by John Belushi-
Martha Stewart's Hell!

Slice the cold, pink block
Apply to sucking chest wound
Don't need stitches now.

"Slow down," she whispered
now guiding my trembling hands
"Turn the key slowly."

Silken pig tofu
The color of spanked buttocks
Blushing at my knife.

SPAM, too, needs a wife
What consort for my Pork Prince?
Ah! The Velveeta!

SPAM glistens pinkly;
Cat taps it with wary paw
To see if it's dead.

I put my boots on
But remembered far too late
My secret SPAM stash.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-08-2008, 09:29
You are a braver man than I.
Any kid who eats Spam in any form, is not picky. He's braver than I am too.

Wise Old Owl
03-08-2008, 13:24
Lol..all I have to say is you are braver than me. Having had severe I-wanna-die food poisoning in my lifetime I am anal over food now :( I seriously won't eat left overs that are a) put in the frig within 30 minutes of cooking and b) eaten within 24 hours. I also eat meat on a very rare occasion now. Heck, I don't eat eggs unless they are cooked into a meal.

So yeah, anyone with an iron clad stomach, I pat them on the back :p If I get a Spam craving I'll go get the Spam Singles down at the local Safeway :p That happens about once a decade for Spam Fried Rice (Yum!).

I am glad you weighed in on the thread. I thought you would find the different bags/dates informative. I was well aware of the risks, But I knew if I gave this a try I would learn something from it. I too have had two incidents in my past of food poisoning. One was from oysters at a restaurant, that took six months to recover from.

Fiddleback
03-08-2008, 20:50
I think the Alaskan State Fair still has SPAM recipe contests and SPAM displays. Some searching around the 'net might reveal some of their prize winners. One that got the the unofficial "Gawd awful" award was SPAM chunks in green gelatin...

FB

Bob S
03-09-2008, 00:24
I don’t know why, but when camping with my son and we make scrambled eggs. He likes Spam cut up and put in it more then he does regular ham. I like the ham better (who wouldn’t)

GGS2
03-09-2008, 00:28
I don't like Spam much, but we used to eat canned corned beef. It made the best hash there was. A can of corned beef, with the fat, any left over or fresh potatoes there were around, and maybe an onion. Fry it up and eat it with mustard. I haven't had that in a long time. I'm sure it was about as bad for you as Spam, but it tasted better.

Tinker
03-09-2008, 00:49
Spam - Arterial plug in a can.

atraildreamer
03-10-2008, 15:20
I seriously won't eat left overs that are a) put in the frig within 30 minutes of cooking and b) eaten within 24 hours.

Leftovers??? :confused:I thought you dehydrated all your leftovers for the next hike!:D

climberdave
03-10-2008, 15:31
SPAM = Shoulder Pork And Ham.

UN-official food of Hawaii

http://www.spam.com/ sing along kids

Got our boys through WWII

You want something gross try scrapple!! :)

Midway Sam
03-10-2008, 15:40
...I am anal over food now...

That's a less than appetizing string of words you put together there Sarah. Probably not a quote you should use in your next book. :D

hobojoe
03-10-2008, 15:46
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, LOVELY SPAM WONDERFUL SPAM, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam...........
-Monty Python

envirodiver
03-10-2008, 16:50
Here we go now, for the spam lovers in the audience

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g8huXkSaL7o

mudhead
03-10-2008, 18:22
. One that got the the unofficial "Gawd awful" award was SPAM chunks in green gelatin...

FB

It's official.

Bob S
03-10-2008, 18:53
Originally Posted by sarbar http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=561685#post561685)
...I am anal over food now...

That's a less than appetizing string of words you put together there Sarah. Probably not a quote you should use in your next book. :D

LOL on that!!!
:eek:

Critterman
03-11-2008, 07:39
..............You want something gross try scrapple!! :)

I will take Spam any day over scrapple. :eek:

Wise Old Owl
03-11-2008, 21:49
SPAM VS SCRAPPLE... well I know which has made me more sick Woho. Who is willing for a 7 day challenge of Scrapple out of the can????

Survivor Dave
03-11-2008, 21:50
For how much?:D

SPAM VS SCRAPPLE... well I know which has made me more sick Woho. Who is willing for a 7 day challenge of Scrapple out of the can????

Fiddleback
03-12-2008, 09:06
Do not start any, 'how do I dehydrate scrapple?' threads...!:eek:

FB

Wise Old Owl
03-12-2008, 17:45
Why Not?

Dehydrated Scrapple ooohhh!

oh, that would make me sick.