PDA

View Full Version : Bear Canisters in Baxter?

dironstarr
03-07-2008, 21:21
Hi All,

Planning to begin my life long section hike (one week per year til either I finish or die) from North to South and was wondering what the general consensus is about Bear canister and their usage in Maine.

I have one but have been told by my brother in law (thru hiker in '92) that I wouldn't need to use it.

rafe
03-07-2008, 21:33
No need on the AT.

dessertrat
03-07-2008, 23:11
I don't know about the whole AT, but in Maine, bears are very shy of people. A bear is likely to run like hell at the first whiff of you.

rafe
03-08-2008, 12:21
I don't know about the whole AT, but in Maine, bears are very shy of people. A bear is likely to run like hell at the first whiff of you.

The one close bear encounter I had on the AT wasn't at all like that. Bear and I got a good look at each other. He was keeping an eye on me, but apparently more interested in foraging. Very cool.

peakbagger
03-08-2008, 17:54
No issues with Bears in Maine but raccoons at shetters can be a problem on occasion. The racoons are smart enough and large enough that hanging the food from a string with a tuna can is not going to stop them. Baxter does have bear cables at a couple of their remote sites, Chiminey Pond and possibly Russell Pond plus they have some regulation in place at Chimney Pond for storing food..

Blissful
03-08-2008, 19:13
Bears are more an issue from Pa south.

Chipmunks get into everything in ME. They will steal when you turn your head.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2008, 19:21
you don't need a bear canister anywhere on the AT. especially baxter state park