PDA

View Full Version : Guess what happend to me...

10-K
03-07-2008, 21:25
I just posted about my Smokies trip but I thought this deserved it's own thread. :)

Tuesday it sleeted and rained all day. I was hiking through it and stopped at a shelter for lunch (this would be Pecks). There were already 9 people there and gear was everywhere - I took off my pack, jacket raincoat and fixed lunch, talked for a bit and put on my pack and raincoat and left.

I walked for an hour and realized that I had left my jacket. After considering how far I had already walked in such bad weather and since the only thing in my jacket was my cell phone I decided I'd just get a new phone. Screw it... So I walked another hour - and realized that not only my phone, but also my car keys, cash, drivers license and credit cards were in my jacket. So, I had to turn around and walk 2 hours BACK to the shelter I had just left to get my durn coat.

Man, that sucked so bad... walked 4 hours in the sleet for nothing and wound up spending the night in the shelter I had lunch.

You can bet that never happens again!

TwoForty
03-07-2008, 22:32
At least you got your jacket too! Last time I was there, someone left a large puffy jacket and matching pants. Too much crap gets left at shelters and someone has to carry it out.

Sly
03-07-2008, 22:46
Bummer... I keep my ID's, cash, credit cards in in a separate pocket in my my pack until the second I hit the road (if I'm hitching)

wrongway_08
03-07-2008, 23:38
Sorry to hear, at least you have a cool story to tell :) ! Keep on hiking!!

fiddlehead
03-08-2008, 00:26
I sewed a secret pocket in my pack and that's where the wallet goes.
it even passed a custom's inspection where they even made me strip in a back room and they never did find my wallet.
Now why am I telling you all this? Maybe cause it's a good idea to pass along and i won't be hiking in the states for awhile anyway. (ps. don't tell anyone in Asia please)

rafe
03-08-2008, 08:30
What wallet? When I'm out hiking, my "wallet" consists of a few plastic cards wrapped in a few $20, $5 and $1 bills, held together with a rubber band and stuffed in a zippered pocket of my hiking shorts. The plastic bits include: license (for photo ID) credit card, ATM card, and health insurance card.

10-K
03-08-2008, 08:39
What wallet? When I'm out hiking, my "wallet" consists of a few plastic cards wrapped in a few $20, $5 and $1 bills, held together with a rubber band and stuffed in a zippered pocket of my hiking shorts. The plastic bits include: license (for photo ID) credit card, ATM card, and health insurance card.

Well, yeah - to be more exact that's what it was. I didn't have my regular leather wallet. It was as you described - credit cards, insurance card, DL, and cash - oh, and car keys in a plastic velcroed rafting wallet - what amounts to a glorified ziplock baggie.... Either way, it demanded that I retrace my steps and (hopefully) retrieve it.

And, something that did not occur to me until someone mentioned it above - if I had not have went back and got it regardless of what was in it someone else would have had to carry it out. That's not good. So, I guess I'll file this one under "You deserved it."

StarLyte
03-08-2008, 08:58
Driver's license, cash & ATM card in plastic sleeve, I wear it around my neck. Car key goes pinned onto my clothing. Dog tags worn with medical info inscribed. Cell phone in pocket.

Glad you found your items.

New Trail name ? :D

rafe
03-08-2008, 09:10
Well, yeah - to be more exact that's what it was. I didn't have my regular leather wallet. It was as you described - credit cards, insurance card, DL, and cash - oh, and car keys in a plastic velcroed rafting wallet - what amounts to a glorified ziplock baggie.... Either way, it demanded that I retrace my steps and (hopefully) retrieve it.

I guess my point was that the "wallet" is something I keep on me at all times, except maybe when I'm asleep. During daylight hours, I never have to guess where it is. I tap my left thigh (the pocket where it sits in) and know right away that all is well. Cell phone (etc.) lives in the pack. It's far less critical.

For summer hiking, the "jackets" I carry are used only in foul weather and are likely to be put on/taken off in a hurry. If they have pockets at all, I've never used them.

Chaco Taco
03-08-2008, 10:02
Like I said in the other thread, sounds like you had fun.;)

Live and learn

Chaco Taco
03-08-2008, 10:03
New Trail name ? :D

Lost and Found?

wrongway_08
03-08-2008, 10:51
I bought a bright yellow wallet from walmart, wrote my trail name and phone number on it. Cost was 2.97 and its ultralight :). Only bad thing is its velcro. Going into the store with my down pants, flip flops, hiking shirt and then pulling out that ugly yellow wallet and hearing the velcro open really adds to the "homeless hiker trash" look :) .

aaroniguana
03-08-2008, 10:57
Yeah usually when I hear a velcro wallet tear open I think teenaged surfer/snowboarder :rolleyes:

10-K
03-08-2008, 11:05
Lost and Found?

Full confession time. I also left my Steripen and filter at the shelter before the one I left my jacket at. A group of hikers from Michigan that I was with the night before brought them up the trail with them in case we met again.

If I had not stopped for lunch at Pecks Corner for lunch (where they stopped for lunch too) they wouldn't have caught me and I'd be minus 1 Steripen.

Clutter really messes with my head. In both cases where I left stuff the shelters were full to overflowing and hiking gear was all over the place.

I need my space. :)

Chaco Taco
03-08-2008, 11:09
Yep new trailname time? Lost and Found is my vote

Chaco Taco
03-08-2008, 11:10
or Clutter

rafe
03-08-2008, 11:21
Clutter really messes with my head. In both cases where I left stuff the shelters were full to overflowing and hiking gear was all over the place.

If the shelter's that full, you may be better off in a tent. I know the issue you're dealing with though. I'm pretty anal about my gear at camp. At the very least, keep it all on one pile -- don't let it get scattered. When leaving camp (or any resting spot) always check carefully for items you may have missed.

Mrs Baggins
03-08-2008, 11:35
I wear a fanny pack around my waist. I can take the backpack off anytime but that fanny pack stays with me always - has my phone, ID, credit/debit cards, cash, snack, Advil, and camera.

bigcranky
03-08-2008, 11:44
Like Mrs Baggins, I use a small waist pack. ID, money, credit card, camera, ear plugs, headlamp, whistle. I like having my camera with me even when my pack is off, and it makes a great man-purse in town.

highway
03-08-2008, 11:51
I wear a fanny pack around my waist. I can take the backpack off anytime but that fanny pack stays with me always - has my phone, ID, credit/debit cards, cash, snack, Advil, and camera.

Me Too, plus guide, journal and pens...so I can get to them (especially camera) without having to take the pack off.

Lellers
03-08-2008, 11:57

or how 'bout "No Gear Left Behind". If this pattern continues, then it can just be shortened to "No Gear"

Summit
03-08-2008, 12:19
"homeless hiker trash" look :) .Better than giving a false impression! :D :eek: :p Sounds like a cool wallet! ;)

Sly
03-08-2008, 12:30
I sewed a secret pocket in my pack and that's where the wallet goes.

What wallet? When I'm out hiking, my "wallet" consists of ...

15 year section hiker scolds double triple crowner! :rolleyes:

Summit
03-08-2008, 12:31
I keep my money, ID, credit card, and car key in a ziploc bag. I leave the wallet behind as well as all the other keys . . . just take the key that unlocks the car door. I put the ziploc in my top removable pocket of my backpack. Since I'm a section hiker and seldom have to go into towns to reprovision, I almost never need or touch anything in it while on the hike. Therefore I do not carry it on me . . . reducing the chance of losing it. If I were to carry it on my person, it would be in a zippered or velcro closure pants pocket. Keeping such a stash in anything that you remove, like a jacket, is asking for . . . well, having to backtrack to get it! I'm glad it was still there and/or nothing missing.

Pull out a ziploc bag with your money in a grocery store . . . now that's definately a "homeless hiker trash" look! :D

rafe
03-08-2008, 12:50
15 year section hiker scolds double triple crowner! :rolleyes:

Oh, how utterly impertinent of me. :rolleyes: Next time I shall check mileage stats carefully and act accordingly...

http://fabriken.akestamholst.se/akestamholst/images/2007/04/04/bowing.jpg

Sly
03-08-2008, 12:59
Oh, how utterly impertinent of me. :rolleyes:

Yup, just being your usual dickhead... :p

dessertrat
03-08-2008, 13:02
I just posted about my Smokies trip but I thought this deserved it's own thread. :)

Tuesday it sleeted and rained all day. I was hiking through it and stopped at a shelter for lunch (this would be Pecks). There were already 9 people there and gear was everywhere - I took off my pack, jacket raincoat and fixed lunch, talked for a bit and put on my pack and raincoat and left.

I walked for an hour and realized that I had left my jacket. After considering how far I had already walked in such bad weather and since the only thing in my jacket was my cell phone I decided I'd just get a new phone. Screw it... So I walked another hour - and realized that not only my phone, but also my car keys, cash, drivers license and credit cards were in my jacket. So, I had to turn around and walk 2 hours BACK to the shelter I had just left to get my durn coat.

Man, that sucked so bad... walked 4 hours in the sleet for nothing and wound up spending the night in the shelter I had lunch.

You can bet that never happens again!

If I were you, I would be so glad that nobody had stolen all that stuff!

Two Speed
03-08-2008, 13:07
I just posted about my Smokies trip but I thought this deserved it's own thread. . . Oddly enough I did something very similar a few years ago, and the incident revolved around Peck's Corner, too. I use a ziploc baggie as a "wallet," had my driver's license, insurance card and credit card in it. Hiked up from Newfound Gap, spent the night at Peck's and managed to leave the ziploc in the corner of the sleeping platform, along with my trail journal.

Didn't realize I'd screwed up until I was about 2, maybe 3 hours down the trail toward Tri Corner.

I really didn't want to go back, but really didn't want to go through the hassle of replacing the license and credit card, so I hauled it back to Peck's by lunch, then took off for Tri Corner. Made it well after dark, and was right proud to have done so. I'm not a big night hiker, and the combo of hiking with a minimal head lamp (Black Diamond Ion) and blowing snow made for some "interesting" hiking.

Needless to say I slept pretty good that night. :cool:

gungho
03-08-2008, 13:44
I think his trail name should misplaced:D

gungho
03-08-2008, 13:47
Oddly enough I did something very similar a few years ago, and the incident revolved around Peck's Corner, too. I use a ziploc baggie as a "wallet," had my driver's license, insurance card and credit card in it. Hiked up from Newfound Gap, spent the night at Peck's and managed to leave the ziploc in the corner of the sleeping platform, along with my trail journal.

Didn't realize I'd screwed up until I was about 2, maybe 3 hours down the trail toward Tri Corner.

I really didn't want to go back, but really didn't want to go through the hassle of replacing the license and credit card, so I hauled it back to Peck's by lunch, then took off for Tri Corner. Made it well after dark, and was right proud to have done so. I'm not a big night hiker, and the combo of hiking with a minimal head lamp (Black Diamond Ion) and blowing snow made for some "interesting" hiking.

What no IDIOT checks back then:eek:

Summit
03-08-2008, 13:51
The only thing I recall having to do any serious backtracking for was my camera, on the 300 mile JMT. Stopped for a water break and picture; took the picture, laid the camera beside the pack, took a drink of water and a rest, put away the water bottle, hoisted the pack and took off down the trail.

About an hour later came to an awesome view, went to take a picture, and . . . oh shizza, no camera. It does seem awfully worthless backtracking for something you left behind. :(

JAK
03-08-2008, 13:53
Look on the bright side. It could have been a warm sunny day.
If it wasn't for the sleet and freezing rain the day would have been a total waste. ;)

Blissful
03-08-2008, 13:54
Glad it worked out and you got it back safe and sound. Even if you had to hike some extra miles. Chalk it up to the AT experience that is different every day.

And Terrapin, great pic, thanks!

rafe
03-08-2008, 13:55
Left a ski pole at Chestnut Knob shelter. Almost left a cell phone at the pub in Culver Gap.

Give my stomach to Milwaukee if they run out of beer
Put my socks in a cedar box just get em' out of here
Venus de Milo can have my arms look out! I've got your nose.
Sell my heart to the junkman and give my love to Rose

Sly
03-08-2008, 14:11
Oh, how utterly impertinent of me. :rolleyes: Next time I shall check mileage stats carefully and act accordingly...

Yeah, you should. :p

rafe
03-08-2008, 14:15
Yeah, you should. :p

Better yet, I'll PM fiddlehead and ask what kinda wallet he uses, so I can have one just like his. :rolleyes:

Summit
03-08-2008, 14:28
Better yet, I'll PM fiddlehead and ask what kinda wallet he uses, so I can have one just like his. :rolleyes:Ziploc wallets are even more "homeless hiker trashy," regardless of how many "triple crowns" you hold! :p :D

rafe
03-08-2008, 14:38
Ziploc wallets are even more "homeless hiker trashy," regardless of how many "triple crowns" you hold! :p :D

What ziploc? Here's my hiking wallet. The bills are negotiable even when wet.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/wallet.jpg

Summit
03-08-2008, 15:06
I put a few other things in the ziploc, like car key, cell phone and spare batteries. This thread just goes to show how diverse and perfectly right we all are! :eek: :D

10-K
03-08-2008, 19:36
Oddly enough I did something very similar a few years ago, and the incident revolved around Peck's Corner, too. I use a ziploc baggie as a "wallet," had my driver's license, insurance card and credit card in it. Hiked up from Newfound Gap, spent the night at Peck's and managed to leave the ziploc in the corner of the sleeping platform, along with my trail journal.

Wierd - same situation, just going in different directions. I got back to Pecks Corner around 3:30 which left 3 hours of daylight left and I seriously considered trying to huff it back to my destination (Icewater Spring) 7.2 miles up the trail but with the weather I didn't want to risk it.

Believe me, lying in that leaky 12 person shelter with 13 other wet hikers while water was dripping on me from the ceiling was *almost* enough to do it.

On the other hand, we were all in the same boat and all the folks in the shelter were good company given the situation. While I would not wish to spend a night that way by choice it was just how it was. It wasn't like I was the only one going through it.

Dances with Mice
03-08-2008, 21:10
This story isn't much about distance - but something made the walk seem a lot longer.

Last year I just split for an overnighter - drove to Hogpen Gap & hiked into Whitley Gap where I found myself in the middle of a huge Boy Scout troop. I decided to stay. A couple backpacking also showed up so me, him and her were the only civilians in the middle of the Scout troop. They were sectioning GA.

The next morning the couple walked up to me - they had a problem. He had to scoot back to Atlanta to handle some sort of emergency. The nature of the emergency wasn't explained. Could I drive her into Helen to spend the night in a hotel until he took care of business and drove back up? Oh yeah, no problem. Did he need a ride somewhere? No, he had family or friends, that was also left vague, driving up to the Gap to pick him up around noon. The only question was could I pack and get her into Helen before his ride arrived? Oh yeah, no problem. They made it clear I had to have her out of the area before his pick-up in a couple of hours. Yeah, really, I can do that, no problem.

So I packed, the Scout troop took their sweet time packing and doing their sweep through camp and disappeared, then she and I started the slog back up to the ridge. About halfway I realized I'd left my hat back in the shelter, I'd hung it there while writing a note in the journal. I like my hats and I really, really liked that hat. So I told her to take a seat and I dropped my pack and jogged back down to the shelter.

He was sitting on the picnic table and surprised to see me, but I explained, grabbed the hat off the nail where I'd hung it, and jogged back up to get his girlfriend moving. So far no big deal, right?

The rest of the way to the parking lot I got the third degree from her: What was he doing? Was he talking on his cell phone? Did you see his cell phone out? Was it in his hand? Was he using it when you walked up? What did he say when you got back? You telling the truth? You sure he wasn't using his cell phone? And on and on and on....

My answers were always something like No, I didn't see anything, I didn't notice, I wasn't paying attention to that, he didn't say much, I didn't see anything, no, I'm not covering for him....

So kudos for the guy having an affair who talked his mistress into doing a section hike of Georgia.

GratefulHike
03-08-2008, 21:19
I think his trail name should misplaced:D

I like misplaced!!!!!

ShakeyLeggs
03-08-2008, 22:54
One little trick I learned many moons ago about forgetting stuff. When I take stuff out of my pack I leave the zipper open. That way come time to pack up the open zipper reminds me to look for what was in the pocket to begin with. Also prior to walking away I always take a look around to see if I left anything. Both have saved me many extra miles over the years.

Doctari
03-09-2008, 09:01
I think it is so cute that you think this will never happen again :p

OOPS, did I ruin your fantasy? :eek:

I have been at a certen shelter in the smokies twice,,, Both times I have had to walk about 1/2 mile back to fetch something I forgot. First time it was a shirt, I could have left it but I didn't. Second time it was my hiking hat, no way I could have left that behind, so, back up the hill AGAIN :rolleyes:
Now for my fantasy: Some day I will stay at that shelter & not leave something behind.

YEA, RIGHT.

Well, I can dream too can't I? :D

rafe
03-09-2008, 11:57
Whenever I leave a camp site or even the site of a short break, I remind myself, I will never be here again. For the most part, it's the truth. Check the area around you carefully for items that should be in your pack. Better yet, on short breaks, take care on what you remove from your pack -- and remove as little as possible.

Two Speed
03-09-2008, 12:49
What no IDIOT checks back then:eek:That's the embarrassing part. I did an idiot check, I just didn't realize an idiot was doing the check. :cool:

Bare Bear
03-09-2008, 13:15
Only four hours? I somehow managed to go over eight miles in the rain, the wrong way after Trail Days. It is a really bad feeling when you round a bend and recognise something you had seen a week earlier while flip flopping to gain mileage before Damascus then screw it up so well you get to spend the night in a shelter you passed a week ago.........realizing that you still have over four miles the next day to retrace to get back to where you should have started! Hey glad you got your stuff back. It is all part of the Trail and anyone who claims to have NEVER BEEN LOST , or left something at a shelter is lying.

mrc237
04-12-2008, 16:46
You'll only do this once!

kolokolo
04-12-2008, 16:59
I admire your positive attitude in the face of adversity.

Tipi Walter
04-12-2008, 17:15
Full confession time. I also left my Steripen and filter at the shelter before the one I left my jacket at. A group of hikers from Michigan that I was with the night before brought them up the trail with them in case we met again.

If I had not stopped for lunch at Pecks Corner for lunch (where they stopped for lunch too) they wouldn't have caught me and I'd be minus 1 Steripen.

I need my space. :)

Wait a minute! This has got to be joke. No one leaves so much stuff at so few places, except intentionally if you're a litterbug. I thought at first this was about a non-rated dayhiker but had to scroll back to see you were actually on a backpacking trip. Shelter's full and cluttered? Good time for a tent.

greentick
04-12-2008, 17:35

I dunno, 10k = about 6 miles in about 4 hrs....

10K may have new meaning as a trailname.

10-K
04-12-2008, 17:50
Wait a minute! This has got to be joke. No one leaves so much stuff at so few places, except intentionally if you're a litterbug. I thought at first this was about a non-rated dayhiker but had to scroll back to see you were actually on a backpacking trip. Shelter's full and cluttered? Good time for a tent.

No joke I assure you.

I left my Steripen at Tri-Corner Knob. The place was packed and gear was everywhere.

Left my vest at Peck's Corner. Same situation.

Seriously, I don't do well in a bunch of clutter. Throw in a bunch of people and a dimly lit shelter and I'm a basketcase.

10-K
04-12-2008, 17:51
I dunno, 10k = about 6 miles in about 4 hrs....

10K may have new meaning as a trailname.

It just so happens I ran a 10-K this morning - and it was much, much quicker than 4 hours!

mudhead
04-12-2008, 17:52
Good thing you got that vest with all the pockets.

Now don't leave the vest anywhere!

ofthearth
04-12-2008, 17:56
or how 'bout "No Gear Left Behind". If this pattern continues, then it can just be shortened to "No Gear"

Good one!!!!!:banana

Sly
04-12-2008, 18:33
Things I've lost on the trail at one time or another, camera; fleece (2), driclime, hat, headlamp, knife (3), reading glasses (10!), compass, GPS. Things, I went back for and couldn't find, camera (cross country route, no way to retrace my steps), fleece, driclime, headlamp, knife (one bundle- ran out of water on Zuni-Acoma Trail had to turn around). Things I never went back for reading glasses (always have a spare pair), hat, compass, knife (2). Things I went back for and found GPS, fleece.

mrc237
04-12-2008, 18:36
How 'bout them ice thingies we got at the GC? :D or :(

Blissful
04-12-2008, 18:45
Paul Bunyan lost his Frogg Togg rain jacket and the leggings of his convertible pants on Bald Mtn. They were picked up by two different hikers and he got both back. He left his headlamp at a motel but we got that back too. Needless to say, the leggings finally left their mark somewhere on Katahdin (we don't know where).

I think the only thing I lost was a tent stake.

Sly
04-12-2008, 19:07
How 'bout them ice thingies we got at the GC? :D or :(

Oh yeah, Yaktrax and a camera case that trip! :p

Tipi Walter
04-12-2008, 21:38
The only things I left behind were ex-girlfriends:D

tina.anderson
04-15-2008, 11:51
I don't like to carry too much extra stuff on me when I hike, so I like to keep things like keys, my wallet and cell phone in my pockets rather than bring a waist pack or another bag.

envirodiver
04-15-2008, 12:07
The only things I left behind were ex-girlfriends:D

Did anyone bring them back when they caught up with you?

shaunx
04-16-2008, 02:25
Hello there,
So sad for that. One thing you have to remember is that always keeps the valuable things, ie credit cards, car keys in a stomach pouch. such that you can b e easily accessible if it is like that.

CaseyB
04-16-2008, 08:21
Keys stay hidden on the vehicle- in someplace only you will know to look.

mudhead
04-16-2008, 10:32
Maybe a backup key in a place that would take some time to get.

I see people do the key stash, often while smiling at me, and wonder. If you dump the extra keychain detritis, and just take the key, does it really weigh that much?

smokymtnsteve
04-16-2008, 14:42
this is what LEAVE NO TRACE training should be about ...not leaving your stuff behind.

also did you have a permit for the shelter that night?:D

Bare Bear
04-16-2008, 17:32
Heck man I walked eight miles the wrong way leaving Damascus (I had hiked ahead then hitched back into Damascus for Trail Days) and it is a sick feel;ing when you think you are really cranking off miles then come around a corner to see a horse corral that you recognise.....:) Oh well it is always a good story. Happy Trails.