PDA

View Full Version : Start but quit due to?

slow
03-08-2008, 00:47
What hiker has the most steps on WB,but never finished a T.?

fiddlehead
03-08-2008, 01:06
I know a guy who has been hiking for at least 30 years. He has spent aprox. 9 months of the last 12 hiking. (spent the winter in New Zealand as he does every other year)

He could teach every one here on WB something they didn't know about hiking.
He has never completed an end to end thru that i know of although he has hiked much of the US. i would guess he is over 40,000 miles of hiking experience. HE lives out there.

But of course, he is not a whiteblaze.net poster. He is out DOING what he loves, not talking about it! (i know he would not appreciate me putting his name out there. for one thing he ALWAYS spends Christmas and New Years out in the wilderness)

Lone Wolf
03-08-2008, 01:11
What hiker has the most steps on WB,but never finished a T.?

me. hands down :D

Roots
03-08-2008, 01:13

DEFINITELY.....:sun

slow
03-08-2008, 01:30
DEFINITELY.....:sun

I dont count him.

Nightwalker
03-08-2008, 02:07

I was gonna say me. Didn't know that you didn't claim a finished thru. I always thought that you did 5 of 'em. Oh well.

This year I plan on coming off of this list. I'm leaving in probably a week (next weekend) as soon as I finish and turn in a map that I've contracted for with a local state park.

Summit
03-08-2008, 09:13
Myself, coming up on 35 years of backpacking, but not nearly enough posts to qualify in that category. I do have several thousand miles under my belt, but nowhere near some of the high mileage I've seen others report (20/30/40K). My longest hike was on the PCT, Whitney Portal to Sonora Pass (John Muir Trail + the rest of Yosemite NP), about 300 miles - took 24 days. It was an awesome hike/experience, but after nearly a month I was ready to change gears (do something else).

I love backpacking . . . just not sure about 5-6 months worth straight. There are many, who after doing a "thru" never backpack again, because they were sick of it when they finished. Backpacking is like cheesecake . . . I love it when I can have a big slice, but have no desire to eat an entire cheesecake in one sitting! :D

When I retire in about 8 years (at 66), if still as healthy as I am now, I may start out at Springer and see how far I am capable of, and feel like going. With the responsibilities of "family," I've never been able to consider quiting work and hiking for six months. But that doesn't lessen my love of backpacking. ;)

Lone Wolf
03-08-2008, 09:30
I was gonna say me. Didn't know that you didn't claim a finished thru. I always thought that you did 5 of 'em. Oh well.

This year I plan on coming off of this list. I'm leaving in probably a week (next weekend) as soon as I finish and turn in a map that I've contracted for with a local state park.

5 but none pure. i'm lacking about 10 actual white blazed miles

camojack
03-08-2008, 09:34
Planning to finish? Which 10 miles, anyway? Inquiring minds an' all... :confused:

Lone Wolf
03-08-2008, 09:52
all in the Whites

camojack
03-08-2008, 09:55
all in the Whites
Well, there's a lot more than 10 miles of A.T. in The Whites. Care to elaborate? :-?

StarLyte
03-08-2008, 09:57
Lone Wolf has the most posts, no?

I think I might have the most pictures posted.

I'll be 51 in April (shhhh)
I've been hiking the A.T. since I was 9.
Never climbed Katahdin, shame, but true. That's my honeymoon next year :D
I was asked to calculate my miles but it gave me anxiety :eek: (I don't care about the miles anyways)

camojack
03-08-2008, 10:04
Lone Wolf has the most posts, no?
Probably...but he "keeps it pithy", so someone (certainly not me!) might have posted more verbage. :-?

I think I might have the most pictures posted.
You might at that, but I've been posting some lately, with more to come. ;)

I'll be 51 in April (shhhh)
I've been hiking the A.T. since I was 9.
Never climbed Katahdin, shame, but true. That's my honeymoon next year :D
I was asked to calculate my miles but it gave me anxiety :eek: (I don't care about the miles anyways)
Then don't count the miles; count the smiles... :)

rafe
03-08-2008, 10:12

I'm missing about 40, best I can figure. Of those, I think I can blame about 15 on you. It all started with this event... :D

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/party_at_laurel_falls.jpg

Lone Wolf
03-08-2008, 10:13
where was that exactly

rafe
03-08-2008, 10:24
Near Laurel Falls. 5/11/90. Freebird, Indy, you and I road-walked to Watauga Dam shelter the next morning. The four of us traveled to Damascus together... yellow-blazed from McQueen's. Tony (Dead Ahead, in green sweatshirt) made it to Katahdin; I met up with him on my 2nd or 3rd day sobo from K. Wild Bill (blue shirt) hiked with me for a week or so just before I bailed. The other guy sitting down was "Baseball John."

Sleepy the Arab
03-08-2008, 15:46
There was a rumor floating around in my earlier thru-hiking days (boy, doesn't that feel weird to say?) that Lone Wolf once decided to thru-hike the AT as a purist to see if he could do it. He got all the way to the base of Katahdin, looked at the mountain and then said, "Ah forget it," and went home.

Well, that's what I heard, anyway.

No Belay
03-08-2008, 19:51
There was a rumor floating around in my earlier thru-hiking days (boy, doesn't that feel weird to say?) that Lone Wolf once decided to thru-hike the AT as a purist to see if he could do it. He got all the way to the base of Katahdin, looked at the mountain and then said, "Ah forget it," and went home.

Well, that's what I heard, anyway.

Funny how stories get embellished overtime. He actually only made it to Damascus and as he was walking up to the door of Dot's, he was heard to sy "Ah F*** it! " and he's never gone home.

Jim Adams
03-09-2008, 13:14
....actually, at times, I would like to know how many on here haven't started a trail yet!

geek

Bare Bear
03-09-2008, 13:23
No one ever 'quits' they just take a few zeros then go back.......some are on their 450th zero though.