PDA

View Full Version : Cerberus in Hiawassee

Lost My Mind
03-08-2008, 17:21
Just heard from Zak - he's staying in Hiawassee tonight.

He's having a great time, and really enjoying the trail. He did Springer to Fontana in 10 days last summer, and decided to take a lot of peoples advise this time and take it slow and enjoy the journey. The weather has been terrible, and he is staying smart (my opinion, since I'm his Mom!). Stayed at Low Gap 2 days due to rain and snow. Did a night hike after the weather cleared and is now in Hiawassee.

Staying warm and dry in his hammock! The library is closed today, so he can't update his TJ yet.

Ewker
03-08-2008, 17:50
thanks for the update..glad to see he is taking it slow this time around.

Rain Man
03-08-2008, 17:51
Thanks for the update, Mom! Sounds good so far!

Tell him we're all in Nashville pulling for him.

Rain:sunMan

Shadowmoss
03-08-2008, 17:57
'Bout time we heard from him! Has anyone heard from Cannibal yet? He posted on Hammock Forums today, but didn't I see anything in his journal. You'd think these guys would check in more :) .

Shiloh is sending us (Lost, Ewker, Lil'red and I) CD's of the pictures he took last weekend. He heads out Monday on his hike. Unfortunately, he's sending them to me, and I'm heading out for Santa Fe for 3 weeks for work. I'll post when I'm home and we can meet for (what else) dinner so I can pass them out. Has anyone else noticed that what the Nashville group does almost as well as hiking is meeting over food to party?

Lost My Mind
03-08-2008, 18:08
We've got to wait 3 weeks to eat and party??

Cannabil updated his TJ today. Zak has talked with some hikers that have met him on the trail. According to them and his TH, he's had some moisture issues!

Zak is going to take a zero tomorrow, hoping he will catch up, but according to Cannibal's TJ, he's not at Neel's Gap yet. He's having some knee problems and is taking a couple of days to rest it.

Shadowmoss
03-08-2008, 18:46
Only have to wait that long to party with me :). Caught Cannibal's TJ, thanks for the heads up. It wasn't there this morning. Shiloh's journal is up now, too. I'm thinking its a lot harder to be the ones at home reading, but maybe (after reading Cannibal's journal) not. Such mixed feelings about the hikes. I wanna be out there with them, but I know I'm not yet in shape for it.

Wanna do the trail with me in 2010?

spunky
03-08-2008, 18:56
It's good to hear from him! We met at the Nashville get together. Tell him hello from all the White Blazers and to Keep having fun!!:banana

excuses
03-08-2008, 21:59
So in a couple of weeks he'll be out of the Smokies and will be hooking up with his pup. The way the has been weather coming, he's moving well. Tell him excuses says hi

Lost My Mind
03-08-2008, 22:14
Will do. He plans to update his TJ in Franklin at the latest. No access to computer where he is right now. It's listed under Zak if you want to leave him a post.

HikerRanky
03-09-2008, 00:16
Glad to hear he's having a great time out there..... Tell him that HikerRanky said hello!

Jan LiteShoe
03-09-2008, 00:47
Glad to hear he's having a great time out there..... Tell him that HikerRanky said hello!

As did Jan LiteShoe.
He's doing GREAT, mom.
:)

Nest
03-10-2008, 09:34
I didn't zero in Hiawassi yesterday. I decided to slack from Unicoi to Dicks creek. I hiked through here last year, and wasn't looking forward to Kelly Knob with a full pack. Now today, I will be taking a zero at Cloud 9. Wanna see what all the fuss is about over there. Hopefully at this rate I will finish the trail by the end of September.

TOW
03-11-2008, 08:58
You most likely will do too many zero's here in Damascus to aid you in a October finish I would say.

Okay Lost My Mind did you get the PM I sent you with my addy? If not here it is,
Larry Riddle
204 Douglas Dr.
Damascus, Va. 24236
276-475-3470

TOW
03-11-2008, 09:02
I'm just curious though, what possesed you to call yourself cerberus? And what does the 45acp stand for?

take-a-knee
03-11-2008, 09:42
I'm just curious though, what possesed you to call yourself cerberus? And what does the 45acp stand for?

Cerberus because he liked the name most likely, and you know damned well what 45acp stands for you knucklehead.

Lone Wolf
03-11-2008, 09:44

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_ACP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerberus

Nest
03-11-2008, 10:07
Cerberus is what I named my Kimber, which is a 45 acp. Kind of a symbolic name. If someone forced me to use my weapon, then my handgun would make sure their spirit went to the underworld. Then I used it as my email addresses, and whiteblaze name since I didn't have a trail name yet. Then it just morphed into Cerberus on hammock forums. So I'm out for a real trail name now.

I do plan on spending a couple days in Damascus. I'm just using this hike as a big vacation. I'm seeing too many hikers pumping out miles and forcing themselves to hike further. That's not what I want. So I'm having a great time taking it easy and relaxing.

Wonder
03-11-2008, 14:04
I'm just using this hike as a big vacation. I'm seeing too many hikers pumping out miles and forcing themselves to hike further. That's not what I want. So I'm having a great time taking it easy and relaxing.

That's the bast way to do it! Enjoy yourself!!!:sun

Lost My Mind
03-11-2008, 14:46
You most likely will do too many zero's here in Damascus to aid you in a October finish I would say.

Okay Lost My Mind did you get the PM I sent you with my addy? If not here it is,
Larry Riddle
204 Douglas Dr.
Damascus, Va. 24236
276-475-3470
Got it! I'm planning on meeting Zak in Damascus, take him down to Hot Springs for the hang out, then coming back to Damascus. Here's where I need some help/info from you fine folks.

I want to hike part of the Highlands with Zak. Are there shuttle services available for me to drop my car somewhere? Also - am I going to be able to do this???

I've heard alot about this area, and the photo's I've seen are beautiful. I've got 2+ weeks off work to do this at the end of april, first wk of May. Logistically, what are my options?

Appreciate the input and look forward to seeing you again.

TOW
03-11-2008, 18:14
Cerberus is what I named my Kimber, which is a 45 acp. Kind of a symbolic name. If someone forced me to use my weapon, then my handgun would make sure their spirit went to the underworld. Then I used it as my email addresses, and whiteblaze name since I didn't have a trail name yet. Then it just morphed into Cerberus on hammock forums. So I'm out for a real trail name now.

I do plan on spending a couple days in Damascus. I'm just using this hike as a big vacation. I'm seeing too many hikers pumping out miles and forcing themselves to hike further. That's not what I want. So I'm having a great time taking it easy and relaxing.
Kinda figured that what you were wanting people to figure out I figured.

Figured, what a concept........

And son your gonna have fun on the AT!

TOW
03-11-2008, 18:16
Got it! I'm planning on meeting Zak in Damascus, take him down to Hot Springs for the hang out, then coming back to Damascus. Here's where I need some help/info from you fine folks.

I want to hike part of the Highlands with Zak. Are there shuttle services available for me to drop my car somewhere? Also - am I going to be able to do this???

I've heard alot about this area, and the photo's I've seen are beautiful. I've got 2+ weeks off work to do this at the end of april, first wk of May. Logistically, what are my options?

Appreciate the input and look forward to seeing you again.We can arrainge a shuttle for you. everything will work out just fine for you two..........:sun