PDA

View Full Version : First timer...camp ANYWHERE?

Michelle
01-17-2004, 16:49
We are planning a short hike from Pen-Mar to Harper's Ferry, and I'm wondering...

We can camp at the shelters right? If the shelter is full, can we camp in the same area? If we are not near a campsite or shelter, can we camp anywhere we find that is a suitable spot? Also, we'll be cooking with a propane cookstove...is that considered an open campfire?

From the simplicity of my questions, you may have guessed I'm a first-timer. I have hiked the Grand Canyon, but the environment was very different!

Peaks
01-17-2004, 20:28
In general, there are very few restricted places to camp along the AT. It's a matter of reading the rules, usually published in Wingfoot's Handbook or the ALDHA Companion.

In MD, probably the only places with restrictions on camping would be in Penn Mar and Gathland State Park, but isn't there a shelter near there?

A campfire is just that. Burning wood. Propane and other backpacking stoves is not concidered an open fire. In fact, it is encouraged instead of campfires.

Doctari
01-17-2004, 20:36
"We can camp at the shelters right?"
Yes.
"If the shelter is full, can we camp in the same area?"
Usually. Some shelters have limited tenting area. But there should be something nearby.
"If we are not near a campsite or shelter, can we camp anywhere we find that is a suitable spot?"
Sure, just practice LNT (Leave no trace).
"Also, we'll be cooking with a propane cookstove...is that considered an open campfire?"
I think not, even so use caution in dry conditions. Also, a propane stove is somewhat heavy, give a look at: canister, gasoline, or alcohol, etc. stove, in the gear section of white blaze.

"From the simplicity of my questions, you may have guessed I'm a first-timer. I have hiked the Grand Canyon, but the environment was very different!"
Believe it or not, we all were new at one time, so no apologies needed. Yes, the AT is different, but you will do OK. Relax, its only backpacking
:sun Any other questions, ask away, someone here will know the answer.

Doctari.

Bankrobber
01-17-2004, 23:09
Actually, camping is only allowed in specified locations in Maryland. IfThere are ridgeruners who might you a ticket during the spring or summer. Definitely check out the campsite under Annapolis Rocks, about 16 miles south of Pen Mar. Otherwise, there are quite a few shelters along the way.

Jack Tarlin
01-18-2004, 14:22
Bankrobber is correct about restrictions on camping in parts of Maryland; for more information on this, you'd do well to contact either the Appalachian Trail Conference or the Potomac A.T. Club; you also might want to check out the ATC Trail Guide for this section which can be obtained on-line by going to www.atconf.org Also, if possible, you might want to visit the ATC office in Harper's Ferry before your trip; the staff at the Information desk is very well-informed, and you could get your maps and guidebooks there as well.

oyvay
01-18-2004, 16:17
IMHO Maryland is probably the best section for an intro hiking the AT. Almost the entire section falls under the state Dept. of Natural Resources, they do have restrictions about where to camp (designated shelters and/or campsites), since MD is a popular stretch and if everyone camped anywhere they pleased there would be "cat holes" and TP "flowers" everywhere. Unless you plan on walking on your knees you'll always be range of a shelter. Many people take a three-day weekend and do MD's 40miles with no trouble at all. Even if you have trouble your never far from a payphone or people willing to help. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Chef2000
01-19-2004, 17:21
Hey Michelle,

If the shelter is full, you can always tent in the same area. I would say 90 percent of the shelters along the AT have a place to set up your tent. As far as camping any where goes. If your in a state park there might be regulations. But if I recall, the area your hiking in has none. If you set up off the trail, make sure your at least 100 feet away. remeber while were sleeping many animals use the trail, especially around water.

Crash
01-21-2004, 00:30
The Garvey shelter area is usually filled with people, youth groups and scouts. You may want to avoid that one since its so close to Harpers Ferry. but there is enough space near all the shelters to tent or hammock.

Peaks
01-21-2004, 09:41
The Garvey shelter area is usually filled with people, youth groups and scouts. You may want to avoid that one since its so close to Harpers Ferry. but there is enough space near all the shelters to tent or hammock.

I suspect that this varies with the day of the week. All shelters are busier on Friday nights and Saturday nights with weekenders. Not so popular during the rest of the week.

Kozmic Zian
02-10-2004, 22:07
Yea, If you go S to N....you can park at the Hostel in Harpers Ferry, walk thru town on the AT, accross bridge to Tow Path and then up to Weverton Bluffs. From there, there's a primative campsite not to far, you'll see signs. Also, the 1st shelter in MD, Crampton Gap is only 8 miles of fairly easy walkin'. From there, up to PA is good easy trail. You'll see shelters along the way, every 10-l5 miles.
If u go N to S....you can park at the parking lot in Pen-Mar park right on the PA/MD line. Look for Cascade, MD. on the map, the road goes right up to Pen-Mar. The South hike is also fairly nice with gentle rolls and nice views at Raven Rocks, Black Rock Cliffs, and others. Enjoy..............................KZ@

Kozmic Zian
02-10-2004, 22:15
In general, there are very few restricted places to camp along the AT. It's a matter of reading the rules, usually published in Wingfoot's Handbook or the ALDHA Companion.

In MD, probably the only places with restrictions on camping would be in Penn Mar and Gathland State Park, but isn't there a shelter near there?

A campfire is just that. Burning wood. Propane and other backpacking stoves is not concidered an open fire. In fact, it is encouraged instead of campfires.
Right, There's a shelter .4 North of Gathland State Park.....at Pen Mar you can camp in the Parking Lot (not bad either; flat, grassy, no trees limbs, etc). Also, there's a few cooking shelter (covered roofs) buildings. If you get in there late after say 6pm you could probably pull a bag out in one of them, if the weather was bad.