PDA

View Full Version : Damascus to Erwin - resupply question

10-K
03-08-2008, 22:06
In April I'm going to hike the section between Damascus and Erwin (going south).

Am I correct that Dennis Cove is the only viable resupply opportunity along the route by way of Kincorra Hostel and a shuttle into town.

It's close enough to halfway that it's fine - I was just wondering if there were other options.

Tennessee Viking
03-08-2008, 22:49
There is Mountain Harbour Inn on 19E that will take you into town. But its an arm and a leg in costs.

Abby's Place closed for the season.

There is Braemar Castle off the Blue Blaze, which is in Hampton. And Laurel Fork Lodge, which I believe is another will cost you.

If you hit Kincora on a Monday, and stay for the Tuesday maintenance with Bob, it is whole lot easier to go into town.

bigcranky
03-09-2008, 09:32
You can hitch or walk into Hampton when you cross US 321, but the resupply at Kincora is much easier, and it's one of the best hostels on the Trail.

Lone Wolf
03-09-2008, 09:40
Am I correct that Dennis Cove is the only viable resupply opportunity along the route by way of Kincorra Hostel and a shuttle into town.

It's close enough to halfway that it's fine - I was just wondering if there were other options.

there is no resupply in Dennis Cove. when you get to 321 it's an easy hitch into Hampton. Brown's grocery has everything you need plus Braemer Castle hostel is never crowded unlike Kincora will be in April.

10-K
03-09-2008, 13:56
Looks like a stop at US321 into Hampton and another US19E into Elk Park ought to do the trick.

Thanks - I'll figure on this unless someone has a better idea.

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2008, 14:39
You might be awhile hitching in and out of Hampton.

An alternative idea is to plan on staying at Kincora Hostel, which is just two tenths of a mile off the Trail, in Dennis Cove. As part of your stay, Bob or Pat Peoples will drive you to a supermarket in nearby Elizabethtown, where the re-supply is much better than in Hampton.
(You can also use Kincora's kitchen to make yourself a nice dinner, or grill yourself a staek on the porch!)

It'll take you around five days to get from Dennis Cove back to Erwin.

You can also avoid going into Roan Mountain or Elk Park, where the hitching is difficult, and the markets aren't all that great.

I'd bring 3-4 days worth of stuff from Damascus; resupply in Elizabethtown courtesy of Bob, and then pack five days of stuff to get all the way to Erwin. Pretty simple.

Plus, did I mention that Kincora is thought by many folks to be the best hiker hostel on the Trail?

Lone Wolf
03-09-2008, 15:05
Plus, did I mention that Kincora is thought by many folks to be the best hiker hostel on the Trail?

only cuz the owners are wonderful. the hostel itself is small and cramped and crowded in april. Braemar Castle would be a much better option