PDA

View Full Version : BORED! Help me plan an Easter trip

RITBlake
03-09-2008, 02:46
Hey Guys,

Bored and getting the itch w/ the weather warming up. Looking to do a trip over Easter Weekend.

Thursday - Travel / Hike
Fri-Sun - Hike
Mon - Hike / Travel

Having said that, any suggestions? Looking to head somewhere south of NY, so PA, Northern VA, etc...

PA is kind of a blur from my thru hike but I'm sure there are some good 2-3 day hikes in there! Not looking to go too far in to VA, Waynesboro would probably be furthest.

Keep in mind that we'd only have one car so we'd need to arrange for a hitch/shuttle/yogi etc..

Lellers
03-09-2008, 10:44
How 'bout St. Anthony's Wilderness in PA.

Are you considering non-AT hikes? Look into Black Moshannon State Park in PA. They have a very nice 40-mile (approx) loop. Great views, a marsh at the top of a mountain, very cool stuff.

Maybe Assateague Island. No elevations higher than sand dunes, but wild horses, great sunrises. Plan to hike around tide schedules. Easier to hike at low tide on hard sand.

Kerosene
03-09-2008, 10:57
Maybe Front Royal north to Harpers Ferry...an easy 54 miles if I recall?

Lone Wolf
03-09-2008, 10:58
Maybe Front Royal north to Harpers Ferry...an easy 54 miles if I recall?

not so. what about that dreaded roller coaster. :eek:

JAK
03-09-2008, 11:02
Hey Guys,

Bored and getting the itch w/ the weather warming up. Looking to do a trip over Easter Weekend.

Thursday - Travel / Hike
Fri-Sun - Hike
Mon - Hike / Travel

Having said that, any suggestions? Looking to head somewhere south of NY, so PA, Northern VA, etc...

PA is kind of a blur from my thru hike but I'm sure there are some good 2-3 day hikes in there! Not looking to go too far in to VA, Waynesboro would probably be furthest.

Keep in mind that we'd only have one car so we'd need to arrange for a hitch/shuttle/yogi etc..What? No hopping down the bunny trail?

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2008, 11:09
Do an End to End of the Long Path! start is Fort Lee NJ pass thru Harrimar, take the ridge trail pass thru the Catskill forest end at John Boyd.

http://www.nynjtc.org/ovmap.html

Kerosene
03-09-2008, 17:00
not so. what about that dreaded roller coaster. :eek:Sorry, I don't have the same opinion about The Roller Coaster as most people seem to. It wasn't that bad on a cool September day, and there seem to be a lot of other parts of the AT with similar stretches of PUDS.

RITBlake
03-09-2008, 20:51
Does anyone know if the outfitter ( I believe it's Weasel Creek Outfitters ) do shuttles?

If so, we may just leave our car in FR and have them/someone shuttle us in to the Shenys.

Thanks to everyone that posted, keep the ideas coming.

Blissful
03-09-2008, 21:16
I thought the rollercoaster of VA was kind of boring, actually. Until we got close to Harper's Ferry and saw some of the entrenchments before crossing the river (this is NOBO). That was interesting.

I like southern PA - not so rocky and the shelter areas from PATC are very nice. Or maybe Harper's Ferry and hike north. (?) MD had some interesting spots and history with the state parks and Antietam battlefield markers. And take a day and hike around Gettysburg.

rafe
03-09-2008, 21:22
Agree with Blissful. I liked the last two days sobo in PA -- from Boiling Springs onward. The roller coaster had zilch for views, except maybe from Bears Den. MD was easy walking, except those first 10 miles 'tween PenMar and Wolfesville Rd. (Cowall shelter.)

RITBlake
03-09-2008, 22:14
The roller coaster wasn't really anything unusual. It was one of those things that if there hadn't been signs, I probably wouldn't have even noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Southern PA would be an option, what would be a good starting and stopping point?

LIhikers
03-09-2008, 22:18
Do an End to End of the Long Path! start is Fort Lee NJ pass thru Harrimar, take the ridge trail pass thru the Catskill forest end at John Boyd.

http://www.nynjtc.org/ovmap.html

At more than 300 miles long the Long Path will require more than a long weekend to hike end to end as you Suggest.

RITBlake
03-09-2008, 22:21
At more than 300 miles long the Long Path will require more than a long weekend to hike end to end as you Suggest.

Yes, and I would really like to get OUT of NY but thanks for the tip. I hike on the LP at least a few times a year, as it runs right past my old apartment in Nyack

rafe
03-09-2008, 22:47
The roller coaster wasn't really anything unusual. It was one of those things that if there hadn't been signs, I probably wouldn't have even noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Southern PA would be an option, what would be a good starting and stopping point?

How about Pine Grove Furnace SP to Caledonia SP? An easy 20 for the weekend, easy access at both ends.