PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings...Its on

Tennessee Viking
03-09-2008, 03:05
Well, once again, its that time of year. Well a bit early this year. But its time to set those clocks ahead an hour for Daylight Savings.

Yeah...the sun is going to be out a bit longer.

GGS2
03-09-2008, 03:30
Yeah...the sun is going to be out a bit longer.

Well, only incrementally. All that happens is we exchange daylight in the morning for daylight in the evening. On the trail, who cares? And in the city, well, it's just a rather clumsy way to get people to act a bit more sensibly about when to be active and when to sleep. But even so, don't you think it's a bit too soon? We're in the midst of a snowstorm for heaven's sake, and sunrise in London, Ontario, is at 0746 tomorrow. Would the world end if it was still at 0846? Sunset at 1924 instead of 2024. I guess the morning commuters don't get to see the sunrise, or something. I'm afraid I can't get excited about it. :confused:

camojack
03-09-2008, 03:34
The only good thing about Daylight Saving Time is that I'm going to get paid double time for an hour that doesn't exist... :D

GGS2
03-09-2008, 03:42
The only good thing about Daylight Saving Time is that I'm going to get paid double time for an hour that doesn't exist... :D

Now that's a neat trick.

camojack
03-09-2008, 03:59
Now that's a neat trick.
Yes. It only works if you're working the weekend on 3rd shift...which I am. :banana

I wrote the following on the subject of Daylight Saving Time a few years ago:

Daylight Saving Time?

What a crock! There are only "x" hours of daylight on any given day; so nobody is saving anything. Where would they keep it, anyhow?! During the Vernal and Autumnal Equinoxes, there are 12 hours of daylight, and the other 363.25 days of the year are either longer or shorter depending on the season.
(An oversimplification, really, it all depends on your Latitude)

Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. is NOT observed in Hawaii or the state of Arizona (except for the Navajo Indian Reservation...which does observe it, due to its large size, and its location in three states). Also, its territories of American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands do not observe it.

The idea of daylight saving was first conceived by Benjamin Franklin during a trip as an American delegate to Paris in 1784, in an essay, "An Economical Project." It was first advocated seriously by a London builder, William Willett, in the pamphlet "Waste of Daylight". Perhaps in their time of oil lamps it was a sensible solution; nowadays it's something of an anachronism. If having the daylight last later into the P.M. is the desired effect, why not leave it "Sprung Forward?"

OK, lunch (or whatever you call it at this time of day) is almost over; gotta get back to work...

highway
03-09-2008, 04:15
DST saves some light but wastes electricity on additional load on AC & heating. There is a pending bill in Florida to take us off this useless, senseless endeavor, no matter how good-intentioned it originally was.

fiddlehead
03-09-2008, 04:53
Here in Thailand it is 50 minutes difference between the longest day of the year and the shortest.
Needless to say, there is no such thing as Daylight Savings time here. (folks still seem to get up at the crack of noon and party till wee hours of the night)

"Every night is Friday and every day is Sunday" also.

KG4FAM
03-09-2008, 09:04
This is a pain for me being in Arizona. It was two hours difference from back east, and now it is three again. If I want to call someone on the east coast now I have to do it right after I get off work.

tazie
03-09-2008, 09:14
Bring it on. I love it. Whoever thought it up was brilliant. :sun

Lilred
03-09-2008, 10:05
I love it. Now, when I get home from work I'll have more time to hike before dark.... Works for me....

GGS2
03-09-2008, 10:55
I love it. Now, when I get home from work I'll have more time to hike before dark.... Works for me....

You hike around home, do you? :jump

Sly
03-09-2008, 12:52
DST saves some light but wastes electricity on additional load on AC & heating. There is a pending bill in Florida to take us off this useless, senseless endeavor, no matter how good-intentioned it originally was.

That doesn't make sense at all. If you put your heat or AC on a set temperature and/or a timer DST will won't affect usage. It's going to be used one way or another.

As far as lights why have it get light at 4:30 in the morning when no one is up?

JF2CBR
03-09-2008, 12:57
I'm for it!

I get off work around 3:30 and the longer the sun is up is the longer i

vonfrick
03-09-2008, 13:03

me too!!! YAY!!!! :sun

oops56
03-09-2008, 13:06
To me makes no different no need a watch when its daylight time to get up gets dark time for bed. where is night time saving time??

Bearpaw
03-09-2008, 13:16

AMEN! I get almost 3 hours of daylight once the school day ends. With my students getting wilder by the day, I can use some decent hiking time after school.

Lilred
03-09-2008, 13:17
You hike around home, do you? :jump

our town has a green way that closes at sunset. Radnor lake is only 45 minutes. I can do that as well with DST.

GGS2
03-09-2008, 15:08
our town has a green way that closes at sunset. Radnor lake is only 45 minutes. I can do that as well with DST.

Wow. I've never heard of a green way that closes at night. Now, I understand that women would prefer to hike in daylight, but closing? Seems a bit extreme. Still, I'm glad for you that you have a couple of hikes that you can do close to home. We have a bunch of short sections that can be made longer. Very popular with the dog walkers. Also the skiers, the dirt bikers, just plain kids, joggers, walkers and nature watchers. There's a nice pond, actually an arm of the river, full of suckers, carp, painted turtles and spiny soft shelled turtles. Lots of birds and furry things from voles to deer. No bears. Weeds and flowers, too. Nice way to pass the time.

ChinMusic
03-09-2008, 19:45
Wow, that is EXACTLY what I was gonna post. I love the extra hour of daylight in the evening. 5am sun is a waste for my lifestyle.

Blissful
03-09-2008, 19:47
It was a pain in the neck last year on the trail. It really affected me for some reason. Everyone was dragging. Took me a week to get used to it. But I liked having the extra time at night to stroll on into the shelter or campsite for the night.

ChinMusic
03-09-2008, 19:49
Bliss - I wouldn't think you would hardly even notice on the trail. The sun doesn't change.

GGS2
03-09-2008, 19:56
Bliss - I wouldn't think you would hardly even notice on the trail. The sun doesn't change.

Some people hike by the clock. I just use it to note when I start and stop, and sometimes to help locate myself. It can be a quick compass as well when the sun is visible. But it works best when it is Standard Time. No big deal though. I still get up with the sun and go down with it too.

ChinMusic
03-09-2008, 20:46
GGS2 - My lifestyle on the trail is totally different than at home. I tend to stay up way too late in the evening at home. I tend to be one of the first to hit the tent when on the trail. The clock (and what's on TV) has control over me at home. The sun has control over me on the trail.

Tennessee Viking
03-09-2008, 22:09
I always thought DST as helpful on trail. Get to hike longer. Don't have to wake up as early to be hitting trail at sunlight.

camojack
03-09-2008, 22:16
I always thought DST as helpful on trail. Get to hike longer. Don't have to wake up as early to be hitting trail at sunlight.
There are only so many hours of sunlight on any given day; this artificial construct of timepieces makes no difference to that.

GGS2
03-09-2008, 22:25
GGS2 - My lifestyle on the trail is totally different than at home. I tend to stay up way too late in the evening at home. I tend to be one of the first to hit the tent when on the trail. The clock (and what's on TV) has control over me at home. The sun has control over me on the trail.

I guess that's it in a nutshell. If you're camping, the sun is the master timer. If you wake up in base camp (home), the clock is master, and you have to bend it to the sun in order to get a full day in. Chin Music, I'm like you. I always get to sleep late at home, but on the trail, I'm in the sack as soon as the sun goes down. I work harder on the trail than I ever do at home. I rarely get to see the stars for long. And the only time I'm up before dawn is to pee or to shift my arthritic bones. I think I am in for a lifetime sentence of carrying a Therm-a-rest. Gonna try a hammock.

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2008, 22:26
Bring it on. I love it. Whoever thought it up was brilliant. :sun

Ben Franklin first suggested it.

mudhead
03-10-2008, 09:13
I throw birdseed out about a hour before total dark. The squirrels have bugged out by then.

Yesterday I spread seed at the usual time, by the clock. Habit.

Squirrels were still on sunlight time. Very clever of me.

Thoughtful Owl
03-10-2008, 09:48

Ditto that!