PDA

View Full Version : Another place to buy gear

Mrs Baggins
03-09-2008, 06:41
I was looking at the new Sea to Summit eVent compression sack on REI.com. They're $39.95. I decided to try my favorite site for finding just about everything, Amazon.com, and there it was for $26.95. Even with shipping it still less than REI and it's the identical sack. Amazon has some other backpacking gear, not huge selections and not all lightweight, but it's a place to look before spending big bucks someplace else. :-?

JERMM
03-09-2008, 07:54
MrsBaggins-are you sure you're comparing the same size?

Thrasher
03-09-2008, 09:10
I just looked. The large ones are $39.95 at both sites. The small ones are $26.95 at both sites. The price depends on what size compression sack you buy.

Mrs Baggins
03-09-2008, 10:14
***slaps self in forehead again and again and again*** Idiot! :( It was late and I was too sleepy to be on line ordering anything. My own stupid fault. I'll have to spend the money for the bigger one now.

Strategic
03-09-2008, 10:55
There is one other thing that should be added here in defense of REI. While they're not as good on lightweight gear as many of the small direct producers (and I tend to favor these because I like to support these kind of people, like ULA Equipment) they are not the same as most large outfitters. They are a coop and thus owned by their members. That alone is a good reason to join and buy from REI in preference to other large outfitters.

Mrs Baggins
03-09-2008, 11:34
There is one other thing that should be added here in defense of REI. While they're not as good on lightweight gear as many of the small direct producers (and I tend to favor these because I like to support these kind of people, like ULA Equipment) they are not the same as most large outfitters. They are a coop and thus owned by their members. That alone is a good reason to join and buy from REI in preference to other large outfitters.

Oh I have no quibbles with REI. We've been members since 1993. I was just looking for a way to save some bucks and thoroughly screwed up in the process. I've canceled the Amazon order and will be getting what I should have ordered in the first place from REI. :D