PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike Planning

Mike.C
03-09-2008, 14:36
Hi,

I found you guys a while back while researching the AT and after lurking for a while figured this is the best place to look for help.

I have a bunch of leave built up and am looking at using some of it to so a section hike. I will get back to the states late July-ish and will probably not be able to take leave until mid to late Aug. If the stars align and I get my wish I should be able to take 30 days of leave. The only other thing I am planning is a quick visit with family in RI.

I am in moderate to decent shape (typical lower back and knee issues) and plan on going fairly light. But not ultra light.

In my younger days I spent a lot of time hiking in NH, Monadanok, Camelback and Washington mostly but they were mostly day hikes and never more than 4 nights.

Since I am going to be in RI for a day or two I was thinking the northeast but really the location is wide open. I figure I can probably get 3 full weeks on the trail give or take a day.

So given all factors: temp, bugs (deerflys/blackflys), weather, terrain, resuply, water, views and overall enjoyment, ect…. Where would you hike????

Thanks

Mike

rafe
03-09-2008, 14:42
Where to hike? What are you looking for? Best views, toughest mountains -- you've already seen and done. But you won't find much solitude there. Southern Maine is as tough, as beautiful (in its own way,) more remote, and offers more solitude. Northern Maine (between Monson and Katahdin) is as good as it gets for both beauty and solitude. Southern New England (Hanover southward) is mellow, pleasant, but the views are a bit lame by comparison.

Then there's the other 1600 miles. :D

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2008, 14:48
It takes most thru-hikers a bit more than three weeks to hike all of Maine, so you probably wouldn't be able to do the whole state.

On the other hand, it takes most folks about 10 days to hike Vermont and around 12 to do NH, so you just might be able to do both of these states with your allotted time.

Don't know if you're driving, but if you're in RI, it'd be pretty easy to get a bus to Pittsfield (from Boston or Providence); from Pittsfield, there are folks in nearby Dalton who could pick you up and get you to Williamstown/North Adams, which is very close to the Vermont/MA state line.

If I had three weeks in August, and I was already in Rhode Island, this is what I'd do.

Another option would be the Long Trail in Vermont, which takes most folks a bit over three weeks; August would be the perfect time to do this, too. See www.greenmountainclub.org for details.

Mike.C
03-09-2008, 15:15
Thanks Jack,

While the Long Trail is an option I am hoping to section Hike the AT on the 20 year plan. Ultimately I would like to follow Top Rock’s lead and thru hike it as a retirement gift to myself, before I start my second career. But since that may not be possible I have decided to start section hiking and keeping track of what parts I have done. I do not plan to do the sections in any order NOBO or SOBO.

As for Maine I think I would rater not start off with the 100mile wilderness. I love the Whites and would not mind doing them again but what I am really asking is what would you guys do if it was your 3 weeks. Since I know little about the overall trail.

I did try to grab some books while I was home recently on leave but was disappointed with what I found at B-N and Boarders. About the only book I found was Bryson’s “A Walk in the Woods” which wasn’t what I was looking for. Not much in the way of descriptions of the trails (but I did enjoy some of the history and geology he threw in)

I would like at least one or two good views over the course of the trip so my pictures won’t all be of a long green tunnel. But other than that I am wide open.

As for solitude I am not too woried. I plan on bringing a tent (although the new hammock systems intrige me) so I can always get away from people if I need too. I can be a bit af a loner but I do enjoy the company of others from time to time.

Mike

Mike.C
03-09-2008, 15:18
Sorry Terrapin, I meant have address you in that response too, looks like there is no editing on this site.

rafe
03-09-2008, 15:25
Mike C: It's all good, in its own way. On any three-week stretch of the AT, you're going to get some nice views and some schlock. Even the middle portion of the trail has its own weird charms. Another idea off the top of my head... start at Harpers Ferry or Front Royal and head south; you'll have enough time to get through Shenandoah Nat' Park and a week or two beyond; great views and some challenging climbs the further south you go. I promise you it's nothing like New England hiking -- but quite enjoyable, nonetheless.

rafe
03-09-2008, 15:26
Sorry Terrapin, I meant have address you in that response too, looks like there is no editing on this site.

Editing comes with a small donation. Painless.

Mike.C
03-09-2008, 16:09
Editing comes with a small donation. Painless.

Thanks I'll look into it. I have a bad habit of posting before I proofread.

Tinker
03-09-2008, 16:12
Mike, notice my location. PM me here if you'd like to stop by and chat.

I, personally, would start at Rte 2 in NH and hike north until time ran out.
It's one of the most pristine areas I've hiked along the AT in New England. I plan on doing the Hundred Mile Wilderness late August-early Sept. with my son this year.

Mike.C
03-09-2008, 16:19
Thanks Tinker,

I Grew up in North Kingstown, My parrents are now in Exeter and My little Brother is in Pawtucket. Where in Warwick are you?

Tinker
03-09-2008, 22:35
Norwood section.

Tennessee Viking
03-09-2008, 23:17
Hi,

I found you guys a while back while researching the AT and after lurking for a while figured this is the best place to look for help.

I have a bunch of leave built up and am looking at using some of it to so a section hike. I will get back to the states late July-ish and will probably not be able to take leave until mid to late Aug. If the stars align and I get my wish I should be able to take 30 days of leave. The only other thing I am planning is a quick visit with family in RI.

I am in moderate to decent shape (typical lower back and knee issues) and plan on going fairly light. But not ultra light.

In my younger days I spent a lot of time hiking in NH, Monadanok, Camelback and Washington mostly but they were mostly day hikes and never more than 4 nights.

Since I am going to be in RI for a day or two I was thinking the northeast but really the location is wide open. I figure I can probably get 3 full weeks on the trail give or take a day.

So given all factors: temp, bugs (deerflys/blackflys), weather, terrain, resuply, water, views and overall enjoyment, ect…. Where would you hike????

Thanks

Mike

You can either start sectioning around your area. But with temps you probably want to head south. You can always start at Springer/Amicola.
But if you want to jump around sections. Roan/Unaka/Smokies/Mt Rogers areas are pretty popular.

Mike.C
03-10-2008, 01:17
I drove Skykine drive once in some of the thickest fog I have ever seen. Very sureal. If I drive to RI that might work just stop on the way back down to GA (stationed out of Savannah). Just need to figure out what to do with the car. I have a cousin in DC that could ferry me but she only has one parking space. Ah..minor details I can work out later I want to find the right hike first. I can always make something happen on the logistics side.

PS: Tinker I worked at a place called COMTEC while in between college and the Army. It was in a small buisness park a stones throw from the Norwood area.

burger
03-10-2008, 08:57
I would hike north from Williamstown, MA. Vermont is scenic and not especially difficult, and if you spend 3-4 weeks on the trail, that will give you 2+ weeks to get yourself in great shape for the White Mountains and southern Maine (which are incredibly rewarding but tough).

Mike.C
03-13-2008, 22:03
After the family get together in RI the easiest would be to grab a ride with my older brother on his way back to Cleveland. Then hop out wherever he crosses the trail. Probably just over the NY CT border. Then Hike north.

I don’t have a guide but if I start just off HWY 84 at the NY 52 trail crossing a 12-15 mile pace for 3 weeks would get me off the trail somewhere between VT 103 and just over the NH state line in Dartmouth. Assuming no zero days. Does that sound about right?