PDA

View Full Version : Only have time for 3/4 of AT. Which 1/4 would you yellow blaze?

No Belay
03-09-2008, 15:04
Planned on doing a full SOBO in 2009 but now have a great offer to go to New Zealand. I'll only have about 4 months to devote to the AT. If you were going skip 600 miles of the trail, which section/sections would it be?

Savor Happy!

Matteroo
03-09-2008, 15:08
From past Grayson Highlands to Mid-PA..

dessertrat
03-09-2008, 15:08
How do you know you can't do it in four months?

I think many people would tell you to skip the middle part, from somewhere in Pennsylvania to somewhere in Connecticut or Massachusetts, but of course opinions vary, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Lone Wolf
03-09-2008, 15:11
Planned on doing a full SOBO in 2009 but now have a great offer to go to New Zealand. I'll only have about 4 months to devote to the AT. If you were going skip 600 miles of the trail, which section/sections would it be?

Savor Happy!

just start off and hike. wherever you are after 4 months, get off. you might not make 4 months though

Sly
03-09-2008, 15:18
Personally, I'd skip Springer to Damascus, since I've already done that twice., but I agree with LW, just hike 4 months. Otherwise, you you could skip Harpers Ferry to Kent and pick it up some other time.

No Belay
03-09-2008, 15:18
How do you know you can't do it in four months?

I think many people would tell you to skip the middle part, from somewhere in Pennsylvania to somewhere in Connecticut or Massachusetts, but of course opinions vary, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Dessertrat, I have no desire to try and thru in 4 months. I'm a sponge type hiker... like to absorb what I'm hiking through. I'd like to enjoy the best of the AT and save the filler sections for the future.

Flush2wice
03-09-2008, 15:26

Savor Happy!
Depends on what time of year you can start.

emerald
03-09-2008, 15:26
Were I you, I would make my decision based upon what time of year I planned to hike. It can be quite hot in the middle in the summer and this portion might be more enjoyable earlier or later in the year.

You might consider hiking SOBO. Whatever remains would be nearer where you reside and the remainder could be picked up later more easily and less expensively.

You may want to save New Hampshire and Maine for last or avoid crowds. It really depends upon what kind of hike you want.

No Belay
03-09-2008, 15:33
Depends on what time of year you can start.

My original plans were to leave Baxter on June 20th. I'm now scheduled to leave for New Zealand on Oct 26th.

Flush2wice
03-09-2008, 16:04
I'd just start SOBO from Baxter and see how far you get. If you decide it's starting to suck around NY, then skip ahead to Harper's Ferry.

A-Train
03-09-2008, 16:08
I'd just start SOBO from Baxter and see how far you get. If you decide it's starting to suck around NY, then skip ahead to Harper's Ferry.

Agreed. Hop into NYC from Kent/Pawling/Bear Mtn and cruise down to DC, and pick up trail at Front Royal or Waynesboro heading south to Springer.

rafe
03-09-2008, 16:11
My original plans were to leave Baxter on June 20th. I'm now scheduled to leave for New Zealand on Oct 26th.

"I weep for you," the Walrus said:
"I deeply sympathize.

The Walrus and the Carpenter (http://www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/walrus.html)

saimyoji
03-09-2008, 16:22
If possible, go to NZ early. Spend a few weeks/months hiking around there.

emerald
03-09-2008, 17:34
If you've never been to Harpers Ferry, you shouldn't miss it or a visit to ATC. Take the train from DC.

You might end up hiking it all. If you elect to skip the middle, transportation to finish what remains later should be straight-forward.

max patch
03-09-2008, 18:09
I'd blow off NZ.

No Belay
03-09-2008, 18:15
Thanks for the replies. From the post and the PMs I received it sounds like the section between The Hudson River and Greenbrier State Park, Md might be the best one to miss for this trip. Thanks!!!

No Belay
03-09-2008, 18:24
I'd blow off NZ.

And here I was going to invite you along .... all expenses paid. ;) For me the AT is a just a trek, New Zealand is a twice in a lifetime adventure experience. The first time you go, you're so bedazzled that you go into eutopia shock. You have to go the second time just to convince yourself it was real. Kinda like Ga.:sun

clured
03-09-2008, 18:30
C'mon, do the whole thing! No reason you can't have a leisurely 4 month hike; just throw in a little pacing discipline, and you can get every bit of experience that you'd have with a 6 month hike.

Nightwalker
03-09-2008, 18:47
I'd just start SOBO from Baxter and see how far you get.

I'd have to agree with that. Just from doing the (approximately) 100-mile (somewhat) Wilderness, I'd say that Maine is hard to beat.

JAK
03-09-2008, 19:06
Another approach might be to leave the best part out so that you are more likely to want to come back and finish it. I would start at one end or the other and absorb away, or perhaps go to NZ early if that was an option as someone suggested. Depends on how long I might be in NZ. If it was permament, no need to go early. If it was only temporary, then ASAP.

Lone Wolf
03-09-2008, 22:44
Thanks for the replies. From the post and the PMs I received it sounds like the section between The Hudson River and Greenbrier State Park, Md might be the best one to miss for this trip. Thanks!!!

obviously those folks don't enjoy being on the AT. lots of good stuff in that section. you need to get out of the "thru-hiker" mentality. quick

queary82
03-10-2008, 00:23
Have you considered a NOBO instead? That way you can leave earlier and finish a thru before it is time for you to leave for NZ.

No Belay
03-10-2008, 10:05
obviously those folks don't enjoy being on the AT. lots of good stuff in that section. you need to get out of the "thru-hiker" mentality. quick

LW, I could care less about thru hiking. That's why I asked the question of which part to skip in the first place. I have no problems figuring out the logistics of my hike, I just wanted to know which section had the least concentrated WOWs. I only have a 4 month window to hike and I have no plans of ever returning to the AT after that. I want to see the best and not just do mileage to say I did it. I'm interested in doing 2 big sections just to keep my yellow blazing to a minimum.

Just because the folks made recommendations about skipping a certain section doesn't mean they don't enjoy being on the trail. It just means they prefer the least urbanized sections.

Savor Happy!

Blue Jay
03-10-2008, 10:05
I'd blow off NZ.

Possibly for the first time ever, I'd have to agree with Max. It's very hard to hitchhike back to the trail from there.

Blue Jay
03-10-2008, 10:10
I just wanted to know which section had the least concentrated WOWs.

I've done it three times, never saw any WOWs. I'll be doing it again and will look for them behind the trees. Since you have no intention of hiking the AT again and will be disappointed with the lack of WOWs, you may want to just go to NZ.

No Belay
03-10-2008, 10:18
I've done it three times, never saw any WOWs. I'll be doing it again and will look for them behind the trees. Since you have no intention of hiking the AT again and will be disappointed with the lack of WOWs, you may want to just go to NZ.

Thanks, definitely helps making the decision not to hike NY.

Skyline
03-10-2008, 10:27
I like Lone Wolf's attitude.

(Today.) :cool:

I'd lose the thru-hiker mentality, and move around to hike the sections that have the most appeal to you. And in what order? The best likelihood for weather that won't be too hot, too cold, and lacking those hateful black flies.

mudhead
03-10-2008, 11:09
Blackflies don't hate you. They want to love you. Alot.

emerald
03-10-2008, 13:36
The WOWs come from within rather than from without and what you see depends upon what you are looking to see. Some see the most amazing things where others see nothing.

NorthCountryWoods
03-10-2008, 13:52
What does "yellow" blaze mean?

emerald
03-10-2008, 14:05
verb: to accept a ride rather than walk a portion of the AT on a road or to skip a section altogether by riding in a vehicle. Often used in a perjorative manner.

Blue Jay
03-10-2008, 14:51
The WOWs come from within rather than from without and what you see depends upon what you are looking to see. Some see the most amazing things where others see nothing.

In that case the whole thing is a WOW, that's why I keep doing it. It simply will be very hard to come up with a Cliff Notes or Readers Digest version of an AT hike when your mind is on New Zealand. Why not just go there.

Ashman
03-10-2008, 14:55
What does "yellow" blaze mean?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28952&highlight=pink+blazing

Will give you all you want and more!

emerald
03-10-2008, 15:07
In that case the whole thing is a WOW, that's why I keep doing it. It simply will be very hard to come up with a Cliff Notes or Readers Digest version of an AT hike when your mind is on New Zealand. Why not just go there.

I knew you're an AT hiker who understands. Takes time. More than most thru-hikers have to spare.

What's that famous Wingfoot quote? "If hiking the AT isn't the most important thing in your life, do what is!" I might not have gotten it right, but I'm close.