PDA

View Full Version : Who else is getting cabin fever...

Tennessee Viking
03-09-2008, 18:02
Who else is getting cabin fever...
As of the last couple weeks, I been stuck at home wanting to go hike but its just too damn cold. Winter weather has also been cruel in making me feel under the weather when I ever do have a day off. I feel worthless if I don't get a least one day, or even half day, hike in at least once a week.

saimyoji
03-09-2008, 18:14
Winter hiking/camping is my favorite. :cool:

Summit
03-09-2008, 18:18
I shook a little of the cabin fever off last weekend when I did a weekend hike down in Uwharrie National Forest. But I'm planning to do a 4 day, 3 night hike in Shinning Rock Winderness the first weekend in April, weather permitting. Can't wait! :)

Jason of the Woods
03-09-2008, 18:39
I agree. The cure for cabin fever is not to stay in the cabin.

Thrasher
03-09-2008, 19:26
I hiked up the Approach Trail last weekend up to Springer Mountain and now I've been wanting to get out even more. I was wishing that I was going to Maine with all of the other thru hikers I met. I'm probably not going to be able to get out again for a few weeks because I've got a lot of things that will be due in school coming up.

vonfrick
03-09-2008, 19:29
if i take one more step on that treadmill i think i'll puke

but i DID get to walk up to Tuckerman Ravine last sunday :D

Blissful
03-09-2008, 19:48
No problem here, weather's been ok in Virginia for getting out, just some rain which we need anyway. But I know Ohio got hit hard with the snow.

Hooch
03-09-2008, 19:51
No problem here, weather's been ok in Virginia for getting out, just some rain which we need anyway. But I know Ohio got hit hard with the snow.
We got our fair share of snow here in Kentucky as well. It was beautiful while it lasted, but it's melting off fast.

jhick
03-10-2008, 10:10

I don't mind it also. No crowds, bugs, more views....
A couple weekends ago, I had some time off work and decided to do a quick hike in your neck of the woods.... north towards Lehigh Gap on the AT, take the south trail then the AT to the north trail and back. The only problem, Ashfiled Rd (I think) was like a sheet of ice. My little VW was slipping a little, but when I got to the big switchback it spun a little and I was going no further. I got out of the car to check the road and almost fell on my a$$. I could barely turn the car around so I chipped the ice with a tire iron and slowly headed back down. It sucked, but it was better than sledding in my car. Hopefully going back on the 15 or 16th.

wudhipy
03-10-2008, 10:48
I know what you mean

This time of year is always bitter sweet for me. I read entries on white blaze of people beginning their dream of the hike of a life time ,and know my turn isn't here yet. We had 2 in. of ice covered with 5 in. of snow in our part of Ky. but still managed to take a walk down the ridge we live on and soak it in. Since we live 20 mi. from the Red River Gorge I believe a jaunt out Auxier Ridge will be taking place this weekend. My pack is really feeling neglected.

see ya in the woods

wudhipy:sun

mudhead
03-10-2008, 10:53
The bluejays have been making a redwing blackbird noise the past couple of days. Making me goofier.

bloodmountainman
03-10-2008, 11:14
We have managed a few hikes this winter. Did a couple of overnighters in Dec. and Jan. We had a awful cold day this weekend! Forty mile an hour winds with snow flurries!!! I'm ready to combine hiking, camping, and turkey hunting soon!!!! Got to stay outside as much as possible! Spring is not far!!!!:sun

Lilred
03-10-2008, 11:43
Went to Amicalola to see off Cerberus and Cannibal and it gave me Springer fever really badly. I already was going nuts, that just made it worse. Taking 4 days over my spring break to hike and that will probably make me crazier still, until I get to do my section this summer. Look out Virginia, your days are numbered!!!!!

TOW
03-10-2008, 11:47
Who else is getting cabin fever...
As of the last couple weeks, I been stuck at home wanting to go hike but its just too damn cold. Winter weather has also been cruel in making me feel under the weather when I ever do have a day off. I feel worthless if I don't get a least one day, or even half day, hike in at least once a week.
Well you should be able to hike your ears off from now til Thursday at least. It's going to be in the 50's!

Thoughtful Owl
03-10-2008, 11:54
Well you should be able to hike your ears off from now til Thursday at least. It's going to be in the 50's!

What? Are we afraid of a little rain? Was out this past weekend. Poured the rain on Friday night and then the rain moved out and the high winds moved in and brought some pretty cold temps with it. Not a problem if you are prepared for the pending weather conditions. No cabin fever here. You simply have to make a choice. I choose to go to the woods.

TOW
03-10-2008, 12:06
What? Are we afraid of a little rain? Was out this past weekend. Poured the rain on Friday night and then the rain moved out and the high winds moved in and brought some pretty cold temps with it. Not a problem if you are prepared for the pending weather conditions. No cabin fever here. You simply have to make a choice. I choose to go to the woods.
For three years I hiked in extreme weather conditions. In fact I about froze to death on the side of Mt. Greylock in January '02. I'm not hiking in the cold unless I have planned to do so with someone or some hiker has become lost and I have to go out and help find them. I'll just suffer with cabin fever..............

Pony
03-10-2008, 12:31

You're not kidding. We got 20" in about 24 hours. But I did get a workout digging the cars and sidewalk out. I think if I lived somewhere where this was normal, I would definitely invest in a snow blower.

jhick
03-10-2008, 12:37
You're not kidding. We got 20" in about 24 hours. But I did get a workout digging the cars and sidewalk out. I think if I lived somewhere where this was normal, I would definitely invest in a snow blower.

If I lived somewhere where this was normal, I'd move!

10-K
03-10-2008, 13:23
My goal is to hike the entire AT by my 50th birthday. I'm 46 so that's roughly 550 miles per year - I'm up to 181 miles so I've still got 370 more to go before I turn 47 and then the counter resets to 0 and I get another 550 miles.

That's the plan anyway - I hope it works out. It'd be great to do a thru hike by my world isn't arranged that way and I really don't mind - my life is already rich - adding the trail is icing on the cake.

So... no cabin fever expected in my immediate future.

NorthCountryWoods
03-10-2008, 13:44

I do and don't have a snowblower. Everybody shovels the first snowstorm of the year, but it gets old fast.
We walk and drive on it and throw some sand on it when it ices up.

I'm usually out in it this time of year, but the trails are a sheet of solid ice right now and the widow makers are numerous.

mudhead
03-11-2008, 10:54
If I lived somewhere where this was normal, I'd move!

Standard thinking around here right about now. 12*F this AM.

20" is a whacking. Unless it is that dusty powder stuff. That all blows away. Sort of.

sheepdog
03-11-2008, 11:00
I drove 700 miles south to Tennesse this weekend hoping for a taste of spring. I drove in a snow storm all the way down and had 3 inches of snow in the yard saturday morning in Murfreesbourgh. What a drag. It did get nice on sunday though..*53 and sunny. Now I am back in Michigan with better than a foot of snow still on the ground. I have a bad case of spring fever.

PS.. There are some people in the south that need winter driving lessons. KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE BRAKE!!!!

saimyoji
03-11-2008, 11:04
I don't mind it also. No crowds, bugs, more views....
A couple weekends ago, I had some time off work and decided to do a quick hike in your neck of the woods.... north towards Lehigh Gap on the AT, take the south trail then the AT to the north trail and back. The only problem, Ashfiled Rd (I think) was like a sheet of ice. My little VW was slipping a little, but when I got to the big switchback it spun a little and I was going no further. I got out of the car to check the road and almost fell on my a$$. I could barely turn the car around so I chipped the ice with a tire iron and slowly headed back down. It sucked, but it was better than sledding in my car. Hopefully going back on the 15 or 16th.

Definately stay off those "Dukes of Hazzard" roads in icy conditions. 309 is your best bet. Ashfield Rd., Bake Oven Knob Road, Smith Gap Road are all pretty dangerous.

mudhead
03-11-2008, 11:06
People here go too fast. It isn't getting going that is the issue, most times.

I was dodging a "pressure ridge" in the road yesterday, and nearly got passed by a vehicle. They nailed the brakes when they saw why I slowwed waaay down and went right. NY plates. Even on dry pavement, it is a project.

Myth of the pothole. Ha!

Where are my blackbirds?

Tipi Walter
03-11-2008, 11:16
The cure for cabin fever is to gird thy loins and start pumping some nylon. Winter is the best time to backpack in my miscreant opinion, there's just something about sitting in a tent during a good snowstorm.

What is cabin fever, anyway? I sat out a 5 day blizzard at 5000 feet in a tent and must've had tent fever. And I can't count the number of days I had tipi-fever sitting out some rough weather in a poled canvas lodge, but the woodstove helped.

One cure for cabin fever(or god forbid, doublewide fever), is to set up a basecamp tent in the back yard and sleep out every night between backpacking trips. Then the full blown fever will go away even though you might still have a few cabin-hot flashes.

But I've been lucky, in the last 40 days(Feb and Mar), I've been out 20 of those days backpacking. Now, my girlfriend Little Mitten is the one with cabin fever. She wants to BUILD A LOG CABIN AND LIVE IN IT. That's cabin fever.

horicon
03-11-2008, 15:40
Cure for cabin fever???? Moving out of the north east??? Not getting injured at all.

wakapak
03-11-2008, 15:46
Cure for cabin fever???? Moving out of the north east???

Thats my cure!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

tazie
03-11-2008, 17:00
Daughter home from college for spring break, we both hit the AT today for a dayhike...the sun was out and conversation was light and easy(that doesn't happen too often) . Definitely melted some of that cold winter malaise. And a pleasant afternoon spent with my daughter, warm memories to hold in my heart forever.

Cherokee Bill
03-11-2008, 17:42
I work in an office, most of the day is in front of a computer :mad:

I am a "cubicle-dewler" :( Springs around the corner and the backpack is ready :banana

Footslogger
03-11-2008, 18:18
I am ...but it's from being stuck in a hospital bed since 3/1

'Slogger

sheepdog
03-11-2008, 18:19
You OK slogger?