PDA

View Full Version : FS road to Springer?

Frau
03-09-2008, 18:05
This may have been posted numerous times, but I did search the forums and found nothing. Maybe I used the wrong search words...ANYWAY:

Nessmuk and I aretry
| going canoeing in GA (Okefenokee, etc.) the last week in March. He wants to hike Springer, but time is limited. He insists 'someone' told him there is a shorter way to hike Springer--circumventing the 7 mile approach trail, a FS road maybe? He cannot recall who told him this and asked me to ask here if this is so.

His reason for asking is two-fold: 1.) Our trip time is limited and he hopes to make an overnighter on Cumberland Islander as well, AND 2.) He has much metal in his left ankle and cannot hike more than 9 miles/day. If we must we will overnight at Springer to break up the 14 miles. I hate doing this (hiking only 7 in and then camping) because 14 miles sounds like a good one day hike to me. BUT, I do need to take his physical limitations into consideration.

Overnighting there will push us for time, but if we must we must. In the event this 'rumor' is untrue, he is making plans to cut out Cumberland, and add enough backpacking gear for Springer and maybe Mt. Mitchell on the way back to VA.

Does anyone have the answer to this question, or the link to where it has been discussed on WB before?

Many thanks,

Frau :sun

Phreak
03-09-2008, 18:07
Forest Service Road 42

Frau
03-09-2008, 18:10
Thanks to Gypsy Rottie, weirdness appears at the beginning of the above post. It should be:

"Nessmuk and I are going canoeing....."

She comes up and slaps her head on my lap, which does very strange things to the keyboard.

Apologies,

Frau:(

Frau
03-09-2008, 18:12
Phreak--

Thank you. We will get a topo and check that out.

Frau

Tennessee Viking
03-09-2008, 18:12
From the FS 42, its a good .9 miles to the terminus. I will be there in about to a week to do the same. The road is pretty graded, but still have to watch for some potholes and ruts.

I am told that the road should just now be opening up for the mass of thru hikers not attempting the approach.

Frau
03-09-2008, 18:14
Is it safe to park where there is access to 42? We were warned about parking in certain areas around Mt. Rogers, and the locals here have MANY day hiker vehicles towed when they overflow the parking area at the Devil's Marble Yard trail head.

Fr.

Phreak
03-09-2008, 18:19
Yes, it's safe to park at FS 42 and the road is in good condition.

Survivor Dave
03-09-2008, 18:32
Driving directions to Springer Mountain via FS 42.

Link below.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=388678

Frau
03-09-2008, 19:57
Thank you, Dave. I bookmarked the article with directions. 0.09 miles is VERY short. I will let Nessmuk decide what is best for him. I certainly want to HIKE uphill there, myself :sun.

Frau

Flush2wice
03-09-2008, 20:07
0.09 miles is VERY short.

Frau

It's .9, not .09 miles.

Frau
03-09-2008, 20:31
Thanks for the correction. The article Dave posted the link to, says .09 miles. I figured 2 steps and a sneeze and I would be there;) .

.9 is short, too. We can hike north until Nessmuk feels like he needs to head back. Then on to the Congaree.

Frau

double d
03-09-2008, 20:50
The FS 42 road is fun to drive, but going uphill to the AT trail (the parking lot on FS 42 is actually apart of the trail) can be a little tricky in a car, so be ready. I took FS 42 back in Dec, 07 with no problems. Great hike up to Springer Mt. and I met a lot of great people, many just hiking for the day. Good luck and have fun.