PDA

View Full Version : Raingear???

sam4msu
03-09-2008, 18:10
FroggToggs...Tough enough for backpacking?? Dry enough for backpacking??

Thanks

Lyle
03-09-2008, 18:24
Yes, with some care. Yes, best breathable rain wear I've used.

JAK
03-09-2008, 19:33
Are these the ones?
http://www.froggtoggs.com/catalog/2008catalog/page04.asp
17oz for pants and jacket?

A better 17oz option might be:
4oz for cheap light nylon wind pants.
5oz for cheap light nylon wind jacket.
8oz for basic sylnylon rain poncho/tarp.

I haven't got the light pants yet. Hard to find cheap light nylon pants these days.
The lightest I have found is 8oz so might as well go with brushed nylon hiking pants or shorts instead.

Blissful
03-09-2008, 19:50
My son Paul Bunyan took Frogg Toggs - ripped out the pants the first week. Got too hot in the jacket. Finally opted for the Go Lite umbrella, but did use the jacket in camp on occasion.

rafe
03-09-2008, 20:16
FroggToggs...Tough enough for backpacking?? Dry enough for backpacking??

Thanks

First off, it's $50 for both pieces, so what's to lose, eh?

I used FTs on last summer's section hike, and I can report that they do function as well as any other hiking rain gear I've owned. As breathable as GoreTex, but not nearly as fashionable. ;) It looks like a HazMat suit.

Downsides: they're bulky and they get dirty fast. They retain odor. The fabric "pills" with use. I didn't get any tears in mine, but I can see where it might happen.

Good-and-bad: the FT fabric has some thickness to it, so it provides some warmth as well as rain and wind protection. This cuts both ways. Sometimes that extra warmth is appreciated, sometimes it's not.

Warning: it can be washed and air dried but do not put the fabric in a dryer!!!

Tinker
03-09-2008, 22:17
Here's something cheaper and lighter. Same basic fabric as Frogg Toggs. I had the Dropstoppers Micropore - tore out the crotch of the pants almost immediately, but the top is still useable. Very light, packs small, and feels relatively dry inside in the worst rain.

Tinker
03-09-2008, 22:17
Wow! That's great! I forgot to include the link in the above post. Here it is:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/driducks_rain_gear.html

FanaticFringer
03-10-2008, 00:24
The Dropstoppers are really nice. I just use the jacket. This deal is hard to beat and the Khaki color looks great. http://cgi.ebay.com/Frogg-toggs-driducks-rain-suit-khaki-gear-dri-ducks_W0QQitemZ330218662702QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1370 07QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

FanaticFringer
03-10-2008, 00:25
oh yea.....they run large....my mediums fit me like a large.

Strategic
03-10-2008, 00:30
There are a number of different kinds of Frogg Toggs, so be aware that they come in different weights and strengths. Here's the main cataloge page for the manufacturer:

Frogg Toggs (http://www.froggtoggs.com/catalog/2008catalog/page01.asp)

The ones you'll really want if you're interested in saving weight and using breathable waterproofs are the Dri Ducks version. They're only 7oz for the set (pants and jacket, no kidding) and they're reasonably durable as far as I've had a chance to try them. They're also really cheap (I got mine on eBay for only $15 including shipping) so you can hardly go wrong with them.

Peaks
03-10-2008, 08:14
Don't forget to bring along the duct tape.

AlwaysHiking
03-10-2008, 09:01
Tried on the Frogg Toggs and decided I didn't like the elastic waist. I prefer a jacket that hangs over my pants. I bought a pair of Dry Ducksfor $15 and for that price I figured I can replace them every year and still save money for a while.

Both options run very large. I don't love my Dry Ducks, but they're relatively light weight. My jacket is large enough to wear over my pack and with the front zipper open, it's very breathable. I didn't know just how big they run so the pants are too big to even bother with. I decided I like that I can wear the jacket over my pack so I didn't return them. I may turn the pants into rain chaps since the jacket has so much coverage.

I'm pretty sure the Dry Ducks will have durability issues, but again, the price is only $15 so can't complain too much for it.

When I tried on the Frogg Toggs at Dicks, I really didn't think they were all that more durable than the Dry Ducks. I'm glad now I ordered the Dry Ducks instead of the Frogg Toggs.

JAK
03-10-2008, 09:46
This says the dry ducks are 10.5oz for the set but that is a whole lot better than the 17oz I saw originally. So thanks. I imagine the weight varies with size so perhaps 8oz - 12oz depending. Cheap nylon get that light and is probably more durable and just as breathable but less waterproof. Treated nylon would be more durable and somewhat heavier but less breathable. Frogg toggs are certainly worth a try but I haven't seen them in the stores I go to and I like to see stuff before I buy it. I saw some frogg togs at Dick's in Bangor and got all excited but they were just orange vests for hunting season, not the rain gear. Bummer.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/catalog/2008catalog/page24.asp

Strategic
03-10-2008, 19:59
This says the dry ducks are 10.5oz for the set but that is a whole lot better than the 17oz I saw originally. So thanks. I imagine the weight varies with size so perhaps 8oz - 12oz depending. Cheap nylon get that light and is probably more durable and just as breathable but less waterproof. Treated nylon would be more durable and somewhat heavier but less breathable. Frogg toggs are certainly worth a try but I haven't seen them in the stores I go to and I like to see stuff before I buy it. I saw some frogg togs at Dick's in Bangor and got all excited but they were just orange vests for hunting season, not the rain gear. Bummer.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/catalog/2008catalog/page24.asp

Mine are smalls, so that might account for the weight difference. They do run large, so make sure you size down if you get them. I have lightweight nylons that I used before I got the Dri Ducks (and still use for other purposes than hiking) but the jacket alone was more than my entire set now. I don't doubt that the nylon is more durable, but at $15 that's a less critical problem. They will hold up well to a thru-hike by most of the accounts I've seen, but Peaks is right, do bring a little duct tape for the occasional patch (but I always have that in my repair/first aid kit anyway.)

FanaticFringer
03-10-2008, 20:03
If you get a rip/tear, put the duck tape on the inside of the tear.

rafe
03-10-2008, 20:11
Frogg toggs are certainly worth a try but I haven't seen them in the stores I go to and I like to see stuff before I buy it.

It's weird stuff. Someone said it's made of Tyvek. I wouldn't know. It's nothing like nylon or silnylon. It makes noise almost like paper. It's relatively thick. It's also bulky, so it takes up more than its share of room in the pack. It's comfortable to wear -- as much as any rain gear can be. The inner surface has a porous feel to it.

JAK
03-10-2008, 20:13
Mine are smalls, so that might account for the weight difference. They do run large, so make sure you size down if you get them. I have lightweight nylons that I used before I got the Dri Ducks (and still use for other purposes than hiking) but the jacket alone was more than my entire set now. I don't doubt that the nylon is more durable, but at $15 that's a less critical problem. They will hold up well to a thru-hike by most of the accounts I've seen, but Peaks is right, do bring a little duct tape for the occasional patch (but I always have that in my repair/first aid kit anyway.)I lucked out last year and found some really light and cheap nylon windbreaker jackets at L.L.Bean factory outlet in Bangor. I got two sizes. $20 for the Large and $12 for the XXL. They each weigh about 4-5 oz. No pants though. Back in the seventies there was plenty of ultralight and cheap nylon but now even the stuff they sell to runners is way heavy, and way expensive. It's ironic in all this talk og ultralight being a new craze that there is actually less ultralight stuff generally available. All the more exciting when you score something cheap and light though.

Got a pair of wool pants at Marden's for $2.50 the other day. I am making hiking pants out of them. They are a tad baggy but might shrink. Very comfy. The weigh 16oz but I might be able to trim them down a bit. They are pretty good quality Nautica's made in India of 90% wool, 10% cashmere. I might only use them for walking back and forth to work or for day hikes, but you never know. They are pretty fashionable. I be stylin'. :)

2XL
03-10-2008, 20:20
Have you washed your Frogg Toggs?
Did they shrink at all?
Do they really become softer?

rafe
03-10-2008, 20:23
Have you washed your Frogg Toggs?
Did they shrink at all?
Do they really become softer?

No problem washing them -- but don't use heat to dry them, or they will shrink, big time. I had my FT top in the dryer for about five or ten minutes -- it went from a very loose fit to a very tight fit.

Thrasher
03-10-2008, 23:27
My rain jacket now is 16oz. I'm thinking that the dryduck frogg toggs sound like a better solution to use for my future through hike with the weight savings and price of $15 for both the pants and jacket. Sounds like they could last the entire trail if handled carefully. Do you think a "regular" rain jacket like the marmot precip or something similar would be a lot more durable, or would it also get a lot of wear and tear on the trail and possibly have to "retire" afterwards?

DavidNH
03-10-2008, 23:34
I wore frog togg rain jacket for all of my AT thru hike in 2006. I was not all that impress. Yes it is very light but the durability i so so and when it rained hard I still got soaked through. I never botherd with the frogg togg pants because they have zippers that go only 8 inches or so up from the ankle.. so I could not get them on with out taking my boots off which makes them rather useless to me.

I will say if it is not too hot and the rain is brief or not too heavy frog togg rain gear will be satisfactory.

In a prolonged deluge like I saw in Pennsylvania.. I don't know of anything that will really work. Anybody know of anything that keeps you dry in an all day driving rain?

DavidNH

JAK
03-10-2008, 23:47
"Anybody know of anything that keeps you dry in an all day driving rain?"

No, but more wool underneath will soak up more of it before you feel it. At best you reach some reasonable balance between some warm steam going out and cold water trickling in. When that fails, just try and stay warm as piss, so you then pace yourself and wear more and don't bonk and call it a day with enough energy left to make shelter and get some hot food and warm sleep.

Peaks
03-11-2008, 08:34
My rain jacket now is 16oz. I'm thinking that the dryduck frogg toggs sound like a better solution to use for my future through hike with the weight savings and price of $15 for both the pants and jacket. Sounds like they could last the entire trail if handled carefully. Do you think a "regular" rain jacket like the marmot precip or something similar would be a lot more durable, or would it also get a lot of wear and tear on the trail and possibly have to "retire" afterwards?

Yes, almost any rain gear, other than cheap disposable plastic, is more durable than Frogg Toggs. In fact, my choice is the Marmot PreCip jacket, and Frogg Togg pants.

Frogg Togg pants are the only long pants that I carry in warm weather. They have lasted because I don't wear them that often.

nightshaded
03-11-2008, 14:58
the dri ducks are nice for the price...but you have to be CAREFUL around campfires, because they melt really easily...i have a pair with a huge duct tape patch on them thanks to lack of caution around fire...they fused to my longjohns!
they do keep you nice and dry, 'though...i even use them when sledding in the winter here in ohio.
another option is to go to home depot...they sell full body coveralls made out of a similar material for $10 apiece...they're made for people who work with pressure washers, so i'd imagine they're effective, 'though i haven't tested them yet myself.

bone lady

Heater
03-11-2008, 15:10
I wore frog togg rain jacket for all of my AT thru hike in 2006. I was not all that impress. Yes it is very light but the durability i so so and when it rained hard I still got soaked through. I never botherd with the frogg togg pants because they have zippers that go only 8 inches or so up from the ankle.. so I could not get them on with out taking my boots off which makes them rather useless to me.

I will say if it is not too hot and the rain is brief or not too heavy frog togg rain gear will be satisfactory.

In a prolonged deluge like I saw in Pennsylvania.. I don't know of anything that will really work. Anybody know of anything that keeps you dry in an all day driving rain?

DavidNH

Packa. :) (http://www.thepacka.com/)

Locutus
03-11-2008, 16:22
I use Military issue HYVAT. about $130 for Parka and pants, works well for me. Not sure if it is the lightest stuff out there though.