PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-violet Steri-Pen Water Purifier

JojoSmiley
01-18-2004, 12:33
Has anyone had any experience yet with using this item? I have been researching and have found no reviews as yet. It seems a bit pricey and yet it weighs only 6-80z. Comments?
Jojo :)
Svor the Moments! :clap

The Wicked Lobstah
01-18-2004, 14:22
I used this little gadget on a Backpacker Magazine gear testing trip. We were all wowed by it initially. Its light, easy, and at night is makes a nalgene bottle look like a party in your hand. We had some problems with it on the trip though and by day 3 it was completley kaput. The problem seemed to stem from a sensor on the wand that senses whether or not the lighted part of the wand is submerged. It had trouble at first, but then would just refuse to operate, even when the wand was fully submerged. Also, the shape of the steri-pen makes it almost impossible to use on narrow-mouthed bottles.

If they get the quirks worked out its real cool. Of course, you'd still need to filter somehow if you were getting you water from a dirty source.

Hope that helps.

Peterawk

JojoSmiley
01-19-2004, 16:24
Thanks for the info. I ordered one but we will be carrying a backup in case it quits. We generally use a Pur Hiker or bleach and we are quite choosy about where we dip for water so maybe it will last a bit longer for us.
Jojo and Nomad
Savor the Moments!

steve hiker
01-19-2004, 23:56
Sounds stupid to me.

Groucho
01-20-2004, 00:44
Sounds stupid to me.

Is it possible for you to elaborate?

jollies
01-20-2004, 11:31
yeah, no trolling please. Backup what you say with at least an argument.

Originally Posted by Pothead
Sounds stupid to me.

steve hiker
01-20-2004, 20:27
Is it possible for you to elaborate?
It costs $200, weighs too much, has only a year warranty, and the second person in this thread said it broke on him the third day out. I'll stick to boiling and my trusty aqumira.