PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with a Basset Hound type Dog

CelesteWV
03-09-2008, 23:08
I have a great little trail dog, Melly. We rescued her from the pound almost a year ago. She is just a little over a year in age we believe. She only wieghs around 25 lbs and is a basset hound mix.

Her disposition is outstanding; obediant, submissive, friendly as can be, and perfectly quiet unless faced with a potentiall serious threat; i.e. she alerted me at the crack of dawn when wild dogs were outside tearing into my rabbit hutches. She for sure saved the lives of my bunnies. (She got real meat for dinner that night and three new bones!)

She is the perfect kind of dog for the trail, we (my boyfriend and I) have taken her on trails of all kinds since puppyhood. She did her first five mile when she was only 6 months old (resting a whole lot for her of course) and did great with it. She stays on the trail for the most part, and will entirely if we tell her to heal and stay. She response without delay to voice and hand commands, sit, down, stay and come. She loves new people, but now sufficiantly understands not to pursue them in a friendly way UNLESS they come to her in that manner. We have also camped with her, and she fits nicely at the foot of our two man tent.

I have another semester before graduating college, and the few months we have before heading off to grad school we plan to do a portion of the AT.

I am looking for others who have done a substantial hike, we're talking perhaps two-three weeks on the trail, with a basset hound/mix or other some such long-backed dog. Melly weighs about 25 ibs, and a long but firm and healthy backbone (has been vet checked twice), and her front legs turn out somewhat as some bassets do. As a small growing pup, she limbed occasionally, and the vet put her on anti-inflamitory pills that cleared up the limping. I also read about bassets having "growing pains" in their front legs. She has since long grown out of these, and it's been months since she's limped at all. Her muscle tone is very good, and her weight is slim and trim to keep any kind of stress off that long back. She's very healthy. The vet said she has really good mixed breed genes and otherwise strong bones. I think she would do just fine, but intend to do more strenuous long hikes to make sure she can do it with those legs. Anyone else ever hiked with a similar kind of dog?

Lilred
03-10-2008, 08:24
I knew someone that hiked with a daschund. That little dog could hike. Of course, he didn't weigh 25 lbs, and the owner carried him, a LOT!. So be prepared to carry him. Those little legs cannot climb rocks.

SpoonsMcgoo
03-10-2008, 08:57
I have a beagle/Bassett Hound mix and there are a few things to think about. The first is that you have to keep that bugger leashed. That Bassett Hound nose takes over for the brain every once and a while and he could get into some trouble. The next thing is that the stress of a long hike may take its toll on the old joints and the back. That long body and bent legs are meant for rooting in fields more than hiking in the mountains. They are stable dogs but don't have much clearance or jump so you will probably have to carry a bit.

If you hike with a bassett, keep on a harness with a short, strong leash and I wouldn't weigh it down with a canine pack. I prefer to walk mine around the block and then let him sleep on the couch. He stays out of trouble that way.

The Weasel
03-10-2008, 09:32
I've had two Bassets, and the post above is right. Bassets are rabbit dogs, with incredibly keen noses, and once they get a scent they are capable of surprising speed for short distances, but enough to get hidden in thick woods. This can happen even with very good voice control.

I'd also be very leery of hiking with one over any trail that was anything other than smooth and flat. Basset paws are webbed, making them great in marshy areas, but the webs can get worn badly by trails.

Great family dogs, but sadly not a hiking animal. Please be good to you dog and leave him home.

TW

Kerosene
03-10-2008, 11:54
I've also had two Bassets, and I concur with the previous posts that their noses will lead them astray eventually, and that they're really not cut out for long hikes over rugged terrain. Even if they do seem to be handling the rigors of a multi-day hike, I'd be concerned that their back or legs might be sufficiently stressed to lead to long-term problems.

Appalachian Tater
03-10-2008, 13:06
My grandfather bred Bassets for years. They were sweet and he loved them but he said more than once that they weren't the smartest dogs around.

One time someone left the gate open and they all got out. Most of them just wandered off and a few just couldn't find the way home. He was very worried because they weren't smart or fast enough to get out of the way of a car. It was weeks before he got them all back.

Bassets are good pets, though, and they get along just fine with other animals, including cats and horses.

berninbush
03-10-2008, 13:13
I'm going to chime in here just to say... you know your dog, her personality, and her capabilities better than anyone-- particularly as she is not a purebred basset hound. If her vet thinks she can handle it, and the indications you see are that she's enjoying herself and handling the trail well, then I'd say go for it.

warraghiyagey
03-10-2008, 15:56
The undergarriage seems like it might be an issue. While your dog might be a good hiker I'm not sure that makes them a good AT dog. Everyday all day with the topography you cross makes many humans have to stop. Bringing a low slung heavier dog might bery much shorten your own thru- or at least make you have to stop and make arrangements for the dogs care and travel if you plan to continue without him/her.:)

Critterman
03-11-2008, 08:13
You mentioned that your dogs front feet are slightly turned out, she may be more susceptible to wrist (carpal) joint problems because of this and may have problems on a long distance hike. Dogs who have feet turned out also many times have unusual wear patterns on their nails and pads so keep an eye on them as well. My dog was a hound mix, long and low, built like a Bassett and weighed 25 lbs also. She loved to walk but those short legs took a dozen steps for each of mine and after 3-4 miles she went from leader to follower. I know she would never have been able to hike long distances. She was the sweetest dog and smart but very stubborn and I miss her every day.

CelesteWV
03-11-2008, 20:24
When it comes to the nose leading her astray, my dog is not "hound-like" in the least. She is a pure mutt, and the only way we know that basset is in there is the slightly longated back and shorter legs. She looks like a lab in the face, and he ears look like golden retriever ears. We have been in the woods and on trails enough by now to know that our voice is number one with her. No matter what shes smelling, horse dung, a deer carcass, deer poo, skunk spray, other dog poo, I mean no matter what it is, she comes when she is called. I'm telling you lol, this dog is trained to a ridiculously high level. That's what I do.
I also didn't say she wouldn't be leashed. I intend on this, epecially whie on the move.
I am not worried as to whether or not she can handle it. We've done similar things before, and will of course train harder before the trip. And this isn't an AT hike to see how far we can get in what little time. We are in it for the asthetics this time. We don't have the time or the money to worry about doing a ridiculously long distance. I'm talking a two week deal here, perhaps.
I am also an art student and photographer, and we will be stopped quite a bit for who know how long to make sure I get the shots I want and perhaps to do a little watercoloring.
Oh and also, didn't intend to put a pack on her. Her back isn't as long as a bassets, but its elongated for sure.
I should have been more in depth with what a mutt she is. If a douschound can do it, I believe Melly will be just fine.
Oh, and the area we are tentatively planning on is probably in VA.

CelesteWV
03-11-2008, 20:31
Here's a photo of her:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t228/CelesteCantees/Pets/P1030058-1.jpg

Appalachian Tater
03-11-2008, 21:24
You're right, that's not a Basset Hound.

Phreak
03-11-2008, 21:27
Have fun with your dog - she looks like she'll do great on the trail.

berninbush
03-11-2008, 23:21
What a cutie! She looks more like a big daschund than a basset hound to me. I've got a golden retriever and her ears don't look much like that.... I'd say those are daschund ears.

Based on everything you've said, I'm betting she'll do fine. Have a good hike. :-)

warraghiyagey
03-12-2008, 00:34
Looks like a larger Dachsund-Beagle mix.

Critterman
03-12-2008, 07:43
................. She is a pure mutt, and the only way we know that basset is in there is the slightly longated back and shorter legs. .................

Does she ever point her nose in the air, let her ears flop back and give out a good old hound dog howl ? Thats the acid test. :)

mudhead
03-12-2008, 08:10
Here's a photo of her:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t228/CelesteCantees/Pets/P1030058-1.jpg

Looks like a fine example of American Yellow Dog.

I see otic issues in your future. Floppy ears and all...

CelesteWV
03-12-2008, 21:18
Does she ever point her nose in the air, let her ears flop back and give out a good old hound dog howl ? Thats the acid test. :)

Thank god no lol, no baying. She lets out quick little allert barks, only when something is up. When I got her, the pound though she was a douchound mix, but I swear she's way too big. Her legs def. look basset, but who knows lol. Def. some beagle I think too. There's really no way to know though lol.

CelesteWV
03-12-2008, 21:19

Totally possible, who knows.

the goat
03-12-2008, 22:29
I'd also be very leery of hiking with one over any trail that was anything other than smooth and flat. Basset paws are webbed, making them great in marshy areas, but the webs can get worn badly by trails.

Great family dogs, but sadly not a hiking animal. Please be good to you dog and leave him home.

i've done thousands of miles w/ my web-footed dog, he loves it & i bet he's done more miles in one stretch than you have.:eek:

just sayin'.

give him a test run on a week-long or several day long trip & work him into the routine, just see how he does.

berninbush
03-12-2008, 22:51
I once saw a dog that was a cross between a daschund and a black lab. Probably in the 25 lb. range, lab face and tail, lab coat, daschund-shaped body and legs, webbed feet. It was a funny little thing!!

Wise Old Owl
03-16-2008, 13:08
I have a great little trail dog, Melly. We rescued her from the pound almost a year ago. She is just a little over a year in age we believe. She only wieghs around 25 lbs and is a basset hound mix.

Her disposition is outstanding; obediant, submissive, friendly as can be, and perfectly quiet unless faced with a potentiall serious threat; i.e. she alerted me at the crack of dawn when wild dogs were outside tearing into my rabbit hutches. She for sure saved the lives of my bunnies. (She got real meat for dinner that night and three new bones!)

She is the perfect kind of dog for the trail, we (my boyfriend and I) have taken her on trails of all kinds since puppyhood. She did her first five mile when she was only 6 months old (resting a whole lot for her of course) and did great with it. She stays on the trail for the most part, and will entirely if we tell her to heal and stay. She response without delay to voice and hand commands, sit, down, stay and come. She loves new people, but now sufficiantly understands not to pursue them in a friendly way UNLESS they come to her in that manner. We have also camped with her, and she fits nicely at the foot of our two man tent.

I have another semester before graduating college, and the few months we have before heading off to grad school we plan to do a portion of the AT.

I am looking for others who have done a substantial hike, we're talking perhaps two-three weeks on the trail, with a basset hound/mix or other some such long-backed dog. Melly weighs about 25 ibs, and a long but firm and healthy backbone (has been vet checked twice), and her front legs turn out somewhat as some bassets do. As a small growing pup, she limbed occasionally, and the vet put her on anti-inflamitory pills that cleared up the limping. I also read about bassets having "growing pains" in their front legs. She has since long grown out of these, and it's been months since she's limped at all. Her muscle tone is very good, and her weight is slim and trim to keep any kind of stress off that long back. She's very healthy. The vet said she has really good mixed breed genes and otherwise strong bones. I think she would do just fine, but intend to do more strenuous long hikes to make sure she can do it with those legs. Anyone else ever hiked with a similar kind of dog?

2 things to look for, Small Dogs need to build up miles. As the walks turn into hikes, watch for the limping. I had a basset years ago and they do well as a sturdy dog. I current have a small Lasa, and both dogs have done the same thing. When they want to quit they just stop as if they are out of gas. If you are watching your milage, You will see it happen a little later into each hike. My lasa would stop at 4miles now it's clearly 6, So here is what I do ... Great for my workout.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18646&catid=member&imageuser=11552

NorthCountryWoods
03-19-2008, 10:45
A friend and I did the northern 100 miles of the LT a couple years ago with his corgi. Same short legs and she was fine, but did need a significant amount of help going up and down the steep stuff.

CelesteWV
03-24-2008, 12:30
I am extremely attentive to my dog, and to all my pets. I'm a volunteer vet tech and wildlife rehabilitator, so my eye is always on the lookout for issues, especially the tiny ones. We did a 13 mile the other day, and she did wonderfully. Slept a good bit when we got home, but no limping and no swelling. Beforehand of course we will train her more to make sure shes up for it. She picks her way through rocks and tough terrain WAY better then I thought she ever would when she was a pup. She got to ford a stream a few times too, did really good lol.

CelesteWV
03-24-2008, 12:31
[quote=mudhead;564975]Looks like a fine example of American Yellow Dog.

That is the pure truth of it...the best kind if you ask me!

CelesteWV
03-24-2008, 12:33
What a cutie! She looks more like a big daschund than a basset hound to me. I've got a golden retriever and her ears don't look much like that.... I'd say those are daschund ears.

Based on everything you've said, I'm betting she'll do fine. Have a good hike. :-)

I have a golden as well, I was basically talking about the way she holds them and the size of them in relation to her head. A dauschound's ears are actually a bit longer and wider in relation to their heads, more like a purebred beagle. Melly's are similar shape, but not as long and floppy in relation to her head and body.

leeki pole
03-24-2008, 17:30
Agree 100%. Nice dog! Have fun!

musicwoman
03-24-2008, 21:43
Great looking girl!!

My concern would be the ascents, descents, and rocky terrain with her, especially if she is long and lower to the ground. Also, you might want to consider glucosamine supplements for her if you want to do longer distance hiking. I would love to see a photos of her from the side in a standing position. If she is longer than she is tall, then I think you need to carefully evaluate her physical ability before making a final decision. Either way, she looks like a loving angel to me!!

CelesteWV
03-26-2008, 12:14
Great looking girl!!

My concern would be the ascents, descents, and rocky terrain with her, especially if she is long and lower to the ground. Also, you might want to consider glucosamine supplements for her if you want to do longer distance hiking. I would love to see a photos of her from the side in a standing position. If she is longer than she is tall, then I think you need to carefully evaluate her physical ability before making a final decision. Either way, she looks like a loving angel to me!!

Basically yes, this is what I watch for the most.
I would need to measure to be sure because its pretty close, but I would suspect shes a bit longer than she is tall. (I'll post a pic!) I will of course never stop my critical evaluation of her ability to make sure even the slightest of issues would not go unnoticed. Actually, her physical ability has astounded me. When I first got her as a puppy, I never thought I would be able to take her through stone beds and other such terraine, but she has gone through it of her own accord, picking her way as easily as any athletic dog has. She really is very able, and my confidence in her has grown a lot.

Jaybird62
03-26-2008, 13:08
I think your dog should do fine. I have a small size beagle(25 lbs.), and am amazed at how she handles the rugged terrain. You certainly can tell when they have had enough, and a lot of times that is after I am spent;0 Have a blast on your hike!!!!

NorthCountryWoods
03-26-2008, 13:31
I've had two Bassets, and the post above is right. Bassets are rabbit dogs, with incredibly keen noses, and once they get a scent they are capable of surprising speed for short distances, but enough to get hidden in thick woods. This can happen even with very good voice control.

TW

Hmmmmm.:D

musicwoman
03-26-2008, 18:45
My baby Sammie. She's 6 months old. We currently take her for short (less than 2 miles) flat hikes. We'll work her up slowly since she's still a baby.

Phreak
03-26-2008, 20:43
My baby Sammie. She's 6 months old. We currently take her for short (less than 2 miles) flat hikes. We'll work her up slowly since she's still a baby.
She looks very sweet! :)

peanuts
03-26-2008, 22:40
she is precious!!!!

desdemona
03-27-2008, 02:11
The height vs leg ratio shouldn't be a serious issue (unless you are talking of thru hiking-- I have no idea about such a thing). But Torie is a Corgi and commonly does very steep stuff. I don't let her jump up on really high rocks and that sort of thing. I use the handle on her pack and pick her up. I don't know that there is any breed that inherently couldn't hike. There might be issues that preclude it, but that's another thing.

Torie is just crazy about this. She is not much of a "nose" dog. My hiking partner has a very scent driven dog. He sometimes drives us a bit nuts, but he is a sweetie. I imagine that such a dog will have experiences we can't even dream about. It's fun sometimes to imagine this as it might be to another critter.

--des

barlow_S
04-18-2010, 22:02
I've done a lot of hiking with Basset Hounds.
I used to hike 3-5 miles every Saturday in fall-spring. If the temps are below 60, they could go forever. Over 80? Good luck on getting a mile.

I took them on hikes since they were puppies. Did they run off? Sure, they chased squirrels, rabbits, even deer, but they (almost)always came back.
This was NOT in the mountains though, but in a local state forest.
I did just one mountain hike with them, they were 2, and did a 5 mile hike with a strenuous climb, and they were dragging at the end but made it. I was always afraid they would chase after a bear or something more deadly.

Shoot, the oldest turned 13 in February, and she can still do a 3 mile flat hike in cool weather.

I had bassets and wanted to hike, and managed, but If I wanted a dog for serious hiking? I would not choose a Basset.. unless I really had my heart set on the breed and was willing to work with the limitations.