PDA

View Full Version : Interviewing on the Trail 2008

freidame
03-10-2008, 03:02
Hi Everyone!

My grandfather hiked the Appalachian Trail over 20 years ago. He trained to do it again when he was 82, but knee problems got in the way. He is now 87 and I plan to hike the trail for him. I won't be able to do a thru-hike, unfortunately, because I can't take a quarter off of my senior year of college. But I will be starting in Harpers Ferry around June 15th and hiking up to Katahdin.

Along the way I will be interviewing people for a play that I will be writing in the fall. I am interested in the role that age and generational differences plays in people's experiences on the trail. I want to know whether we can get to know other generations through shared experiences, such as hiking the AT. Is nature the one last way to have shared experiences since so much changes every year? I hope to learn whether I can connect to the past (and to those from the past) and relive it while still experiencing the present. I will be interviewing my grandfather before going on the trail to get his own experiences, then will compare them with my own after hiking. I will be interviewing people along to trail get other hiker's perspectives and experiences as well. Then, once I get back to school, I will be compiling all of this together to write a play focusing on what I learn.

I am particularly interested to hear from anyone who will be thru-hiking and has had a grandfather, or any family member, hike the trail before them. Or if you have hiked the trail and have had a family member hike it after you. Please feel free to e-mail me to get in contact with me. I would love to hear from anyone who has any thoughts on this.

Also, if anyone will be around Harper's Ferry in mid-June, I hope to see you there!

Sly
03-10-2008, 04:11
:welcome Have a great hike. Best regards to grandfather. :)

maxNcathy
03-10-2008, 08:15
My Grandpa died in 1921..never hiked the AT.
My dad never hiked as far as I know..probably think of a 6 months hike as a waste of time.
I love hiking the AT and my 3 adult sons want to hike lots when time permits.