PDA

View Full Version : Money on the Trail

Crusoe
01-18-2004, 23:56
What's the best way to pay for things along the AT?

I feel uncomfortable carrying large amounts of cash...can I make most purchases with a credit/debit card? Are there some places that will only take cash? How easy is it to find an ATM?

In short, what is the best system of money to use for food, hostels, etc. along the AT?

Many thanks!

Crusoe

mdjeeper
01-19-2004, 00:11
I havent thru-hiked yet ('06), but have done several sections, what always has worked for me was to have $100.00 or so either i cash or traveler's checks (i keep at least 40.00 in cash to offer for any hitches, etc), and have my atm handy. Some of the trail towns may not have access to an ATM, but most do (least those that I have been in)

smokymtnsteve
01-19-2004, 00:54
Mtn mama just north of the smokies takes CASH ONLY..and they have no ATM and there isn't any other place close by...

chris
01-19-2004, 08:33
Carry some cash and a credit card and an ATM card. Something like $100 is good for those times when you are in a little place that won't take a credit card. That being said, Walasi-Yi, NOC, Fontana, Hot Springs, Erwin, and Damascus all have places where you can resupply with a credit card.

hungryhowie
01-19-2004, 13:42
Here's my method - and it's never really failed me yet...

I start with $200 in cash and my Visa check card. I use the check card wherever its accepted (probably for 70% of my purchases) and the cash at places where its not, or when its such a small purchase that I feel bad giving them the card (they do have to pay a fee everytime you use your card, you know). When I get down to ~$50, I find an ATM and get whatever I need to make $200 again. The only time this method kinda-sorta failed me was in Fort Montgomery, NY. I got off of the trail with a couple of trail buddies. We went in and had a sub sandwich at a local restaurant. We decided to stay in town for the evening, but when we went over to the ATM, they got their cash, but it failed when trying to get mine. They offered to spot me, but my heart really wasn't into staying in town anyway. I walked out of town and filled up on cash a few days later.

-Howie

jackiebolen
01-19-2004, 21:03
Are American Express Traveller's Cheques (in $US) widely accepted along the trail?

RANEY
01-19-2004, 21:20
Are American Express Traveller's Cheques (in $US) widely accepted along the trail?i would think so, they're basically cash...

smokymtnsteve
01-19-2004, 21:29
I don't use any kind of checks but think that amerikan express travelers checks would be farily well accepted at chain restaurants (shoneys and such) and larger motels...but at a lot of the smaller places they may not be as welcome or appreciated..I do know that Mtn Momma just north of davenport gap accepts CASH ONLY..but you should find enough places that take them, a lot of the shuttle folks probably wouldn't take them.

Peaks
01-20-2004, 10:31
Like everywhere else, cash is king. You need a certain amount of cash with you. Many (most?) hostles work on the cash basis. Outfitters certainly take the plastic.

I relied on ATM's to replenish my cash. The locations are listed in Wingfoot's Handbook and the ALDHA Companion.

The only time I got caught short was in Rangely after a severe thunder storm knocked both ATM's off line. So, I used Traveler's Checks.

Jaybird
01-20-2004, 11:07
What's the best way to pay for things along the AT?
Crusoe

i've logged, in 3 section-hikes, approx 300 miles & have used a combo of cash & credit/debit card for purchases.

dont know of anyone who WON'T accept cash ( i usually take $100 cash) & then plastic for gas & anything else. :p

see ya'll UP the trail in 2004!

jollies
01-20-2004, 11:35
I am surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but you really don't need to carry more than 25-50 dollars on the trail. Carry a Debit card that can be used either as a Visa or an ATM (has a pin number) and when you go to the post office, use their cash back service to get up to $50 dollars per day. I found that I never had need of more than that, because big purchases, I put on the Visa portion of the card (used as a credit card). I felt this was the mont secure way to carry currency on the trail.

icemanat95
01-20-2004, 12:03
I used a combination of traveller's checks, a credit card and ATM card. The credit card came in very handy since I ran out of money in my checking account. I ran up a hell of a credit card bill, but that was better than running out of money and having to go home.

I recommend that hikers try to have at least 2000 dollars available for on trail expenses plus whatever is needed to meet your obligations at home. Additionally, having a credit card with a solid limit and a trusted person to pay AT LEAST the minimums on it is a good thing. This will giove you maximum flexibility on the trail and free you from one of the biggest trip killers (lack of funds).

Moose2001
01-20-2004, 12:34
If you do opt for traveler's checks, I'd stick to the $20's and not $50's. In some of the smaller stores or towns you could run into problems trying to break a $50.

mustang
01-20-2004, 15:02
For my thruhike, I used mostly credit/debit card and carried no more than $20-30. I never had a problem, but made sure I had cash on hand if I knew I was going to a hostel and tried to be sure to replenish when I was in town in case I needed something along the way.
One thing I saw that didn't work so well (this is just in my experience, I'm sure it works for some people) was people who sent themselves money or travelers checks in a drop box. They often ended up having to stay around towns to wait for their money or borrow from those around them. Of course, this might be a good way to make sure you only spend a certain amount...

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2004, 15:18
All of the advice so far has been great, tho I think it probably makes sense to carry more than $20-30 in cash, as some have suggested----there are, after all, any number of places on the Trail that ONLY accept cash for services, lodging, etc., and while the number of ATM's is growing, there are still lots of places without them, or you might have a problem with your ATM card, your account, etc. I've witnessed machines eating hiker's bank cards for no good reason, leaving them high and dry till they could talk to their banks and find out what was going on. Plus, there's always the chance that the machine will be empty or out of service when you need it. Relying on Post Offices as a money source only works if you arrive when they're open; if you arrive in town after noon on Saturdays, you're pretty well out of luck.

For all these reasons, I always carry extra cash, usually at least $100; traveller's checks are also a good idea, tho as someone already mentioned, try to stick to twenties as smaller convenience or general stores might not be able to accept larger ones.

Moose2001
01-20-2004, 15:24
good advice Jack. I saw the ATM machine in the outfitters in Hot Springs go down for a day and a half this past summer and left a lot of us high and dry and broke for a short time.

Brushy Sage
01-20-2004, 15:28
Hostel owners often make shuttle runs into nearby towns for visits to grocery stores, ATMs and the like. In 2002 Mountain Momma's took several hikers into town so they could get cash (there might have been a fee for this service -- not sure).

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2004, 15:43
I can pretty well GUARANTEE that there was a charge for this shuttle; I'm also pretty sure it was a hefty one, too.

For a more pleasant experience, I very strongly recommend that hikers coming out of the Smokies do a few extra miles that day and visit the fine folks at Standing Bear Farm hostel instead. I visited this place for the first time on my latest hike and had a wonderful time.

smokymtnsteve
01-20-2004, 16:13
I can pretty well GUARANTEE that there was a charge for this shuttle; I'm also pretty sure it was a hefty one, too.

For a more pleasant experience, I very strongly recommend that hikers coming out of the Smokies do a few extra miles that day and visit the fine folks at Standing Bear Farm hostel instead. I visited this place for the first time on my latest hike and had a wonderful time.

I agree on both points...even though mtn momma has better resupply,

I talked to terry from RAINBOW SPRINGS and she days that they accept AMERICAN EXPRESS travlers checks but not AE card.

Moon Monster
01-20-2004, 22:40
A fellow hiker paid $5 to Mt. Mamma to get to an ATM, but I think this fee is up to her whim--it could be higher for you. Standing Bear is close enough to be an alternative to Mt. Mamma, so there is no reason whatsoever to stay at Mt. Mammas.

I also like the cash-back option in lieu of ATMs sometimes. Most convenience and grocery stores will do this, though their limits may be less than the Post Office. I did cash back at three places to get enough cash in Monson, ME (which had no ATM) to pay Shaw's (which did not accept plastic) for two nights and meals.