PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for one month with dog in May

nctalley
03-10-2008, 16:38
Hi all ~

I've just decided to plan a month long trip with my brother and my dog for May. I live on the West Coast and have not spent much time hiking the AT in quite some time (though I am originally from NC). Does anybody have suggestions on where to hike during the month of May that will be weather appropriate for a 90 lb. dog and that will also have the most beautiful views / sites for us non-canines? Any advice is much appreciated!!

Thanks ~

Jennifer

COmtnGal
03-10-2008, 17:07
I am planning a month long section hike as well - but about a month later (June). Not sure if the pooch (65lb Golden) is coming along after reading all the comments on the board about dogs not being welcomed on the AT.

I am open to suggestions as well and have tentatively thought about starting in Harpers Ferry and trekking north through MD and PA.

nctalley
03-10-2008, 17:13
I've been reading through these posts some more as well, and though I certainly haven't ruled out taking the pooch, I would consider leaving her at home if necessary. In any event, I'd still like some suggestions for the optimal places to hike for the month of May. Thanks!

Phreak
03-10-2008, 17:35
Not sure if the pooch (65lb Golden) is coming along after reading all the comments on the board about dogs not being welcomed on the AT.

Take your dog with you. If he/she is well-behaved, you'll have no issues on the AT or any other trail.

cowboy nichols
03-10-2008, 17:44
Take your dog. Follow good thoughtful dog owner responsible rules. Leash and tent. There are others. Fortunatly most of the dog haters seem to be online . Thank goodness.

nctalley
03-10-2008, 18:04
....how about some suggestions for dog friendly / human friendly weather conditions and scenery for the month of May. What states? What sections? Where to start? Sorry...lots of questions! Again, I've not been on most of the AT and want to get the best possible experience for that month. Thanks so much! My dog will love it I'm sure. She's around a 90lb Am Staff - cow looking mix. She loves off leash hiking and just won't go more than 20 yards away from me! And will INSIST on sleeping in the tent. I won't have a choice on that one.

karoberts
03-10-2008, 18:12
Go down south where the weather is warmer!

Phreak
03-10-2008, 18:13
....how about some suggestions for dog friendly / human friendly weather conditions and scenery for the month of May. What states? What sections? Where to start? Sorry...lots of questions! Again, I've not been on most of the AT and want to get the best possible experience for that month. Thanks so much! My dog will love it I'm sure. She's around a 90lb Am Staff - cow looking mix. She loves off leash hiking and just won't go more than 20 yards away from me! And will INSIST on sleeping in the tent. I won't have a choice on that one.
Am Staff's are great dogs! Have a pic of her?

nctalley
03-10-2008, 19:27
if you click on my name and go to profile, her pic shows up. i was trying to make it show up with my name but i didn't quite work that one out. i suppose i'm better on a trail than on my computer~!

thanks for all comments. i'm out for today but will keep checking in this week for recommendations.

bigcranky
03-10-2008, 19:29
You have a cross between an amstaff and a cow? Interesting.... The mating ritual must have been quite spectacular. <g>

May is a great time to hike on the southern half of the trail. You could do most of Virginia, or start at Davenport gap and just walk north until you are done. (The Smokies doesn't allow dogs, so you'd probably want to avoid the hassle.)

desdemona
03-10-2008, 23:53

New Mexico! (Though I suppose you mean the AT trail. :-))

--des

nctalley
03-11-2008, 13:20
BigCranky wrote: "May is a great time to hike on the southern half of the trail. You could do most of Virginia, or start at Davenport gap and just walk north until you are done. (The Smokies doesn't allow dogs, so you'd probably want to avoid the hassle.)"

Thanks for that info. I was certainly considering the Smokies, so that's good to know. Is it generally still relatively cool around those parts of VA in May. I have found that Am Staffs (particularly the ones that have the bovine gene) are not fond of exercising in anything above moderate heat. My girl will generally flop down at temperatures above 75 degrees or more.

bigcranky
03-11-2008, 18:44
It can get warm in May during the afternoon, and cool at night. I would pack for lows around 40, though it might not get that cold, and be prepared for highs up to 80, but it likely won't get that warm.

Sorry that's wishy-washy. We've had blustery cold rain and highs in the 40s even in mid-June, and searingly hot hiking days as early as April. It's the mountains, what can I say?

nctalley
03-11-2008, 18:52
What...you mean you can't predict the weather?? Jeez! Funny thing is the May trip I'm planning is May 2009 ~ a full year and two months away ~ so I certainly can't expect weather predictions for that far off. I'm actually considering moving the trip up to Mid-April to lower my risk of having the pooch slow things up. As I said, she really doesn't like high temps.

Thanks again for your help. I've looked at your suggested starting point on the map (Davenport Gap) and it looks like a good choice to travel up north from there for a month. I've done some day hiking around Hot Springs in the past. I'll be doing some calculations soon, but how far North do you think we could make it if we were going, on average, no less than 15 miles per day? I'd love to get up the Shenandoah Valley, but again...I haven't done the mileage yet.

Jennifer