PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle me with my car? NJ/NY/CT/MA

java
03-10-2008, 16:55
Hi all, we (Jeopardy and I) are looking to do a 2 week section hike in NJ/NY/CT/MA in early May (starting 5/3). We've thru'd before, and don't really care exactly where we start/end our hike...we're just looking to get out in the woods for two weeks this spring (major cabin fever!!!).

We live in Southern Maine, and were hoping to find someone who lives near the trail in NJ/NY/CT/MA who would be willing to have our car at their place for two weeks and come get us when we're done. So, it would be a one-way shuttle and two weeks of car storage essentially.

Due to an unfortunate incident at a trailside parking spot a few years ago, I won't leave me car in one overnight anymore -- especially for two weeks!
So, if you live near the trail in NJ/NY/CT/MA and this sounds like something you'd be willing to help us with please PM me! We can discuss. Obviously you'll be driving our car, so you'll need to have a clean driving record, etc.

Rambler
03-15-2008, 11:52
The AT in NY/NJ is about 150 miles from Route 22 (AT Station) to Delaware Gap. Relatively safe parking would be at the Pawling, NY. Commuter Rail Station which is in the center of the town 3 miles from the trail (I used a bike to get to the trail). The Pawling lot has multi-day meter parking and it costs around $10, but you will need change or small bills. (There is also similar Parking at Wingdale, but you have to purchase a month long pass which is about $30.) (Trinity Pawling Prep School is close-by and might let you park, if you ask) From Delaware Gap,starting before dawn, a bus makes frequent trips to the Port Authority Depot in NYC. From the Port Authority walk a few blocks through Times Square to Grand Central Station. Do it at morning rush hour and you will not be at all out of place in your hiking gear! From Grand Central, a commuter train (the Harlem line) will take you back to your car in Pawling.

To hike the extra days in MA/CT, hike north from Pawling, hide a bike in the woods at the appropriate trailhead to get back to your car. Plan it right and you will not hit any major hills for your biking.

From Southern Maine the drive to Pawling is almost all highway. (I-95 and Mass Pike) Pawling is just north of Danbury off of I-84. It is amazing to find beautiful hiking along the AT only 30 miles north of NYC.

sasquatch2014
04-01-2008, 15:07
I can do you one better. If you need to store your car I can have it at my place and I live in Pawling. Depending on when you are looking to do your trip. I am planning to head down to Trailday in May but otherwise will be around. We can work something out if you want. Trying to bank some Hikers Karma so glad to help.