PDA

View Full Version : Adzpctkop

chris
03-10-2008, 18:25
So, who is going? I'll be rolling into San Diego on the Thursday and bolting on Sunday. Anyone else from here going?

A-Train
03-10-2008, 19:50
I'll be there, atleast from friday to sunday morning. Will be helping many other 07' hikers cook sunday morning breakfast.

I believe there was a thread on here a week or two ago about the PCT where people mentioned the KO.

I'd be happy to grab a beer with any WB members attending.

The Weasel
03-10-2008, 20:47
Going to try to make it.

TW

Sly
03-10-2008, 20:54
I'll be there fer sur.

vaporjourney
03-10-2008, 21:20
I'm starting the hike on Thursday, planning to camp at Lake Morena that night, then leaving the next morning before the kickoff happens. However. I'll be starting with about 4 other people (according to a trail angel I'm staying with), and maybe they'll talk me into the kickoff? Maybe I won't be able to hike 20 miles the first day. That would put me into Lake Morena late afternoon. There would be tons of people. Maybe I'd get sucked in. Maybe I'd grab some water and keep on.

Only thing is, I know if I attend, I'm gonna try to fly out of there to be at the front of the herd.

JojoSmiley
03-10-2008, 21:59
I'll be there. Hiking out on the 12th and coming back for the ko.
see ya'll there if you put out a sign so we can id each other.

Pacific Tortuga
03-11-2008, 09:00
Just made my reservations for Friday - Sunday, looking forward to it. :cool:

Footslogger
03-11-2008, 10:11
My plans to be there might end up changing due to my recent heart attack. If I can get a 3 day pass from the Cardiologist I'll be there.

'Slogger

Mags
03-11-2008, 10:31
I'll be there Thurs - Sun.

My vacation time was approved and my ticket is bought.

Pacific Tortuga
03-11-2008, 15:18
My plans to be there might end up changing due to my recent heart attack. If I can get a 3 day pass from the Cardiologist I'll be there.

'Slogger

Holy Crap!, how are you feelin', now? I hope it works out but don't try to be a hero and push it. :)

Heater
03-11-2008, 15:21

'Slogger

Probably not a good idea to travel Footslogger. Not for a while yet.
I am glad you are feeling better, tho. :)

The Weasel
03-11-2008, 18:03
Foot: Listen to the cardio dude. I know what that's like, but as long as you're just hangin' at the park, might be OK. Hope to meet you.

TW

clured
03-11-2008, 21:38
I wish I could go. But I'm so ridiculously close on money as it is, it would be impossible; right now my school is on spring break, but I'm stuck on campus working in the library to save up the second half of my food money. I have just enough money banked up for my gear buy-in; I just at PBJ and a banana for dinner to save money (until the dining halls reopen in two weeks)! I feel like I'm already out hiking...

Mags
03-12-2008, 10:07
[quote=clured;564728I just at PBJ and a banana for dinner to save money (until the dining halls reopen in two weeks)! I feel like I'm already out hiking...[/quote]

Don't shower for the next two weeks to get that authentic trail experience as well. :p

Being serious, the sacrifice will be worth it. Any time spent on a trail ultimately adds, and not subtracts, to life.

chris
03-12-2008, 10:08
I wish I could go. But I'm so ridiculously close on money as it is, it would be impossible; right now my school is on spring break, but I'm stuck on campus working in the library to save up the second half of my food money. I have just enough money banked up for my gear buy-in; I just at PBJ and a banana for dinner to save money (until the dining halls reopen in two weeks)! I feel like I'm already out hiking...

Save your cash for sure. I didn't got to ADZ until 2 years after I thrued. It is better to go after you hike anyways since you know a lot of people and a lot of people know you.

Mags
03-12-2008, 10:49
I agree; it is much more enjoyable to go to the ADZ as an alumni thru-hiker.

No worries about hiking out, if there are too many people on the trail, etc. It is just a nice weekend to catch up with friends that way.

Dranoel
03-25-2008, 18:27
I'll be there (Friday-Sunday). I just registered at the AZD site.

My plans changed, and I'm leaving on the 24th.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Mad Hatter 08
04-07-2008, 23:29
Well I live in San Diego but I'm still in Texas so I'm trying to decide if I should get back in time or not but it maybe worth it to see all of ya'll. on the down side it'll mean I'll have to be going back to work soon after.

A-Train
04-21-2008, 10:16
I'm leaving today for a little hiking before the kickoff, out in the desert. Hope to see many of you this week/end. I'll be the dude wearing the Mets hat. There can't be many. I'll be volunteering with the Sunday morning breakfast crew, so come say hi!

A-Train
04-29-2008, 00:53
Fabulous weekend and event. It was great to catch up with old friends, make new ones and connect names and faces. This is such a wonderful event-I recommend it to anyone considering hiking any or all of the PCT.

Was great to hang out and talk with trail veterans like Mags, Suge and Sly. And I can happily say I've got my Jester fill for 2008.

It was great fun to stay up all night and then help cook breakfast for this years class of thru-hikers. It's a wonderful class and I wish them all great happiness on the PCT.

Jack Tarlin
04-29-2008, 09:30
"Got your Jester fill"? :eek:

I was gonna ask for details; not sure I wanna hear 'em.

Query: After you got your fill, was J. in any condition to hike?

Footslogger
04-29-2008, 10:06
Sorry I had to miss it. Good news though is that my heart gets stronger every day and my hopes of hiking the PCT are back in realm of possibilities !!

'Slogger

Mags
04-29-2008, 11:20
It was an awesome time to say the least. As A-Train mentioned, it was great to see the the many peopple I've known via e-mail in person. It was also great to reconnect with people I have not seen in a while. I also was able to see my CDT buddies off on their PCT trek.

All in all, an awesome weekend. I'll have a trip posting/photos posted shortly. :)

Mags
04-29-2008, 13:32
On April 24th - 28th, I attended the Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick-Off (ADZPTCKO) (http://pct77.org/adz/)

The ADZ is for the purpose of ushering off current year PCT hikers on the trail with good vibes, good information and off on the right foot (or sometimes left? :) ) to start their journey.

At OH-GOD-EARLY in the morning, Love Barge and myself left Colorado to fly to San Diego. We were picked up at the airport by our fellow CDT 06er/Coloradoan Princess of Darkness. She and Disco drove out to San Diego and are about to start their PCT journey. This will be Disco's second PCT hike and POD's Triple Crown (http://www.aldhawest.org/Triple/default.asp)completion hike.

Disco and POD had some last minute items to take care of in San Diego. LB also wanted to visit a family member in San Diego. Our arrival to the KO was a bit delayed, but the side trips proved to be interesting. "Uncle Tommy" is an older New York Italian transplant and reminded me of people I know back home. The accent, the mannerisms, and his obvious love in getting to see his great-niece. You could also tell LB was happy to see her relatives as well.

We finally arrived at the KO. It was awesome to see people I have not seen in a while. Saw my fellow PCT 2002er and good friend Yogi. We both worked the registration desk. Of all my ways to volunteer at the KO, working the registration desk is my favorite. I love to talk and mingle..working the desk lets me see a lot of people. :)

At OH-GOD-EARLY Friday morning, I dropped off POD and Disco for the start of their PCT hike. LB also joined them for the day.

I went back to the KO, shot the breeze and worked the reigstration desk for a bit. Saw many people I knew for online, previous hiker gatherings and just being on trail. Many people at this point..and I was glad to see them all!

Went to bed fairly early Friday night (11-ish) and had a nice Saturday just hanging out.

One of the funny things about the KO is how long it takes to walk from one length of the campground to the other. What should be a 5 minute walk would often take me an hour because of all the people I would bump into!

One of the funniest parts of the day was Henry Shire's reaction to LB's "vintage" and well..er..loved tarp tent (http://www.tarptent.com/). Henry just stared in disbelief!

The best part of Saturday evening was seeing Eric Ryback's (http://www.amazon.com/High-Adventure-Eric-Ryback-E/dp/0553023926)presentation of his 1970 thru-hike. The amount of people he inspired is countless. Despite the different gear and trail experiences one thing showed through Ryback's slideshow: The joy of being out in the wilderness for months at a time never changes! Ryback reminded me of Scott Williamson: Low key, humble, happy to share his experiences. It was a great show from one of the acknowleged pioneers from our little tribe.

I had planned on a mellow Saturday, but I wandered over to the cabin campfires. I ended up staying up to 4am and er, indulged quite a bit more than I am used to. My body also reminded me Sunday morning that I am about to turn 34 and not 24. :O I think seeing so many friends, both old and new, made it so I did not want the weekend to end.

If I took anything from this weekend, it does not matter what year you hiked, what kind of gear you carried, whether you are a section hiker or a thru-hiker ..we are all united in our love for the trail, the journey and the experiences. We are all hiker trash.

I love the KO. It has become my favorite hiker get-to-gether by far. I thank the organizers for another great event, I was glad to see all my friends, and I wish the PCT class of 2008 a wonderful journey.

Continued Happy Trails!

Photos can be found here (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=16845&g2_page=1)

tlbj6142
04-29-2008, 14:19
My brother Casey (Father Ounce AT '04) was there for his PCT thru this year. Said he talked with Chris and Brian (ULA) a bit. Had a good time. Even talked about working for Brian after he finishes his hike.

Footslogger
04-29-2008, 15:28
Thanks for the write-up and pics Mags. Now I REALLY wish I could have been there. I actually knew quite a few people who who were there myself.

There's always next year !!

'Slogger

Mad Hatter 08
04-29-2008, 16:37
Was also at the ko, had a ton of fun meeting new and old friends. Odd thing happened though. I showed up with a cooler on Friday and I didn't bring beer. But quite a bit of it magically found its way there. Even odder though I had an interesting time trying to get rid of it. When I finally found someone to take the last of it Saturday night I gave away eight beers at once. I know for a fact at least 30 beers magically passed through my cooler.

A-Train
04-29-2008, 21:04
"Got your Jester fill"? :eek:

I was gonna ask for details; not sure I wanna hear 'em.

Query: After you got your fill, was J. in any condition to hike?

I wrote that pretty late at night-it may not have been the best choice of words. Hopefully the brass Wizard will get its fill of Jester, but this is probably a story better suited for a Gathering fire than a family website.

I must say, I haven't seen many folks prep for the intense desert heat by indulging copiously in Pacifico and Winstons, but Jester seems to know what he's doing. Despite those that think they know, I think he'll be just fine.