PDA

View Full Version : couple thoughts i haven't read about...

Wags
03-10-2008, 23:31
using the corners of sandwich bags to make individual medicine carriers. rather than buy a bunch of sample sizes, just tear or cut the corner of a sandwich bag (or even a cigarette pack liner), put 2 or 3 pills in it. then twist plastic and burn/melt the end of it - potheads will remember this process. repeat a few times with the different pills you carry/label/put into med supply baggie or w/e you carry your meds in - way cheaper than paying for individual supplies and avoiding going to the store to buy em in the first place...

using pet hair to keep mice/squirrels away from your food. i do this in my garden to keep away rabbits and mice. if you have a dog or cat, brush them and simple pull the hair off the brush and put into a ziplock. animals rely on smell very much moreso than us, and the smell of a predator to these animals will often keep them away. ziplock can be slightly opened and safety-pinned to drawstring on your food bag. i guess the possible downside to this one is dog or cat hair may attract one of their predators - bear, coyote, ect. i've yet to try this, but maybe some of you have. thoughts?

JAK
03-10-2008, 23:35
Skunk hair?

emerald
03-10-2008, 23:39
A wild animal in a remote location might never have smelled pet hair before or have any idea why it should care.

Feral Bill
03-11-2008, 00:28
I can see the repackaged meds raising suspitions with some people.

Wags
03-11-2008, 01:12
i understand that thinking shades, but i think most animals are born w/ fear of certain predators as part of their evolution.

and feral bill would you be referring to 'the law' as 'some people'?

Appalachian Tater
03-11-2008, 01:28
I don't think the cat or dog hair would work. People hike with dogs and anyone with a cat or dog already has hair and the scent all over their stuff and the mice still get in. But the idea of a scent repellent is a good one. I just don't think those little shelter mice are very frightened enough not to get the food. Imagine: a baggie of gorp to a mouse is like a Thanksgiving buffet three times your weight all laid out. You would take quite a risk to get to it.

Gaiter
03-11-2008, 01:44
i just carry a small plastic bottle and remember what is what, also good for storing a sewing needle in, keep it from poking through anything else

fiddlehead
03-11-2008, 04:52
I like the pill bottle too is it is where i keep my needle. (safe from ruining my other gear)
I only carry aspirin so no need to separate them. I used to carry IBprofen but stopped using them but they were a different color anyway so it's easy to know what you have.

But i like the thought process and new ideas. Keep em coming.

"minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"

Isn't it true that human hair keeps the deer away from my new apple trees also? at least that's what i heard and did when i planted them a few years ago.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-11-2008, 07:21
I must carry some serious controlled substances at times. My doctor and my brother (a pharmacist) strongly cautioned me to photocopy the labels for all my meds and carry that with me. The labels fit on a half sheet of paper and the vitamins & daily meds live in tiny ziplocks (one day's meds per ziplock) sold for storing coins. The 'as needed' pain meds live in separate tiny ziplocks - and they all ride inside my cook kit in a bigger ziplock.

rafe
03-11-2008, 08:19
You can get tiny ziplocs of various sizes at REI.

jhick
03-11-2008, 08:47
Better yet, you don't have to worry about crushing capsules or stuff getting wet in these...
http://www.rei.com/product/605890

Blue Jay
03-11-2008, 09:19
I don't think the cat or dog hair would work. People hike with dogs and anyone with a cat or dog already has hair and the scent all over their stuff and the mice still get in. But the idea of a scent repellent is a good one. I just don't think those little shelter mice are very frightened enough not to get the food. Imagine: a baggie of gorp to a mouse is like a Thanksgiving buffet three times your weight all laid out. You would take quite a risk to get to it.

I hate to let this secret out, but it appears out already. As with the old joke about two people running away from a bear, you only have to have the mice go to other bags than yours. Prior to a hike I place my food bag under sleeping cats for a few days. After a few weeks the smell wears off. I send the bag back home and have a new one sent to me. If it were not for this and books I would never do a mail drop. I have NEVER had a single problem with mice in shelters. Damn, now all the bags will smell like cats.

Jason of the Woods
03-11-2008, 10:02
I too am on some pretty heavy meds for my back and have heard that it is illegal not to carry them in the proper container. If this isn't true it would save me some weight.;)

Mother Nature
03-11-2008, 10:22
I must carry some serious controlled substances at times. My doctor and my brother (a pharmacist) strongly cautioned me to photocopy the labels for all my meds and carry that with me.

Wise words. I have been advised the same way and I carry a photocopy of my labels. My doctor in conjunction with drugstore.com allows me to ship refills and new stuff to a general delivery address for pickup.

Jason of the Woods
03-11-2008, 10:36
I just found out that I've lost my doctor again so my hike will be much more challenging than first thought. I am open to any suggestions on how to curb my pain so that I am still able to complete my hike. As it stands I will be out of my meds at the end of the month and have no idea how that's gonna go. The last time that I went w/o was brutal. It sucks to be a young person with pain. They treat you like a junky or atleast in my experience. I should have never had surgery....

Wags
03-11-2008, 14:27
can't you get a new doc? how about a friend of the family who could write you a script?

emerald
03-11-2008, 15:46
i understand that thinking shades, but i think most animals are born w/ fear of certain predators as part of their evolution.

I studied biology among other things in college and took a few courses in evolution. Persuade me if you can.

-SEEKER-
03-11-2008, 16:36
I must carry some serious controlled substances at times. My doctor and my brother (a pharmacist) strongly cautioned me to photocopy the labels for all my meds and carry that with me. The labels fit on a half sheet of paper and the vitamins & daily meds live in tiny ziplocks (one day's meds per ziplock) sold for storing coins. The 'as needed' pain meds live in separate tiny ziplocks - and they all ride inside my cook kit in a bigger ziplock.

Good tip. I just had my pharmacist print up extra labels for shipping, but he only printed one extra of each.

Blue Jay
03-11-2008, 16:40
I studied biology among other things in college and took a few courses in evolution. Persuade me if you can.

Unless you're trying to get in my food bag, I don't see the point. Biology and evolution do not have much to say about foodbagology.

emerald
03-11-2008, 16:53
Biology and evolution do not have much to say about foodbagology.

You're right. I don't believe it was ever mentioned. Since I'm not hungry and brought my own food anyway, I could care less if your foodbag smells like cats, let alone KIT KATs.

Wags
03-11-2008, 17:39
i'm not claiming to be 100% sure about it, but it's worth investigating:

"For humans and other animals, some fears seem to be, in large part, instinctive and inborn rather than learned. For example, laboratory animals fear certain predators even though they have never been exposed to a predator. However, little is known about the brain mechanisms involved in innate fear responses."

from: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070801112201.htm

emerald
03-11-2008, 18:02
I'd be more impressed by field trials supporting your claim conducted at actual AT shelters using Blue Jay's food bags, Hershey's KIT KATs and seasoned AT shelter mice, but I did find your article interesting.