PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountain National Park Trails

Chaco Taco
03-11-2008, 01:13
I have a map of the Smokies and am wondering about some good loops to do for 4 days. I want to end up at Fontana on the last night. Anyone got any good suggestions???

Tennessee Viking
03-11-2008, 01:21
I have a map of the Smokies and am wondering about some good loops to do for 4 days. I want to end up at Fontana on the last night. Anyone got any good suggestions???
I don't know if this would fit your schedule, but how about the AT up Clingmans, then jump down to the BMT.

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-11-2008, 08:21
Get Jeff and Nancy at the Hike INN to shuttle you to the Road to Nowhere and hike the Lakeshore Trail along the lake. I believe its about 45 miles long and a great hike. It ends up at the Dam.

Have a Great Hike

Rockjock
03-11-2008, 09:47
I concur with the Lakeshore Trail great option although I think it is only like 35-37 miles. Another would be Newfound Gap-Hazel Creek-Fontana it all depends on your schedule the Dome road is close until April 1. I am looking at doing a four day three night hike over Easter weekend either in the Fontana or Cosby area if interested PM me.

rockjock

Chaco Taco
03-11-2008, 11:04
Could I get to the Road to nowhere from Asheville? Where is the trailhead.

Get Jeff and Nancy at the Hike INN to shuttle you to the Road to Nowhere and hike the Lakeshore Trail along the lake. I believe its about 45 miles long and a great hike. It ends up at the Dam.

Have a Great Hike

Hikes in Rain
03-11-2008, 11:10
Head to Bryson City and find Lakeview Drive. Small town, and it's toward the back, after crossing the tracks. Drive it slowly, the views are terrific. It dead-ends at a "typical" Smokies park tunnel. Walk through the tunnel, and you're immediatley on the Lakeshore Trail.

aficion
03-11-2008, 11:39
Hazel Creek is fabulous! Work it in if you can. My 2 cents worth.

Chaco Taco
03-11-2008, 23:47
so if i come in at Lakeview Drive and go up the Lakeshore Trail to the Bear Creek Trail, pass the high Rocks Trail, down to Cold Spring Gap Trail i can hit the Hazel Creek Trail back down to the Lakeshore Trail. Does this sound right? Im looking at the map of the park and am wondering with all of the trail intersection will i have any signs marking it out for me or do I need to solely rely on my map and compass?

Rockjock
03-12-2008, 08:38
Yup sounds about right but high rocks is a place not a trail, just a short spur trail. Most intersections, if not all, will be signed. I haven't been over that way in about 8 months but the last time I was it was well maintained and trails in the smokies are generally very easy to follow.

Max Power
03-12-2008, 20:43
Don't pass up High Rock Trail. Take it for spectacular views and a very interesting old fire tower cabin. Was out there two days ago and it was wonderful. However, I took it from Fontana Lake so it was uphill and a killer!
Check out the next month or two of Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine (http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/) for an article on it.