PDA

View Full Version : Cold Spots - Sleeping

Wise Old Owl
03-11-2008, 01:33
Just purchased an “ultralight” sleeping bag and tested in the back yard last night. This raised some interesting questions. Being a fat 46 year old guy, 215 pounds, I use a Big Agnes blow up pad because I am a mostly a side sleeper. The new REI Kilo Flash 40 Degree bag was just purchased. Last night was 44 degrees here in PA and here is the question.

I lost more body warmth through the BA pad (as expected) Even though I was using more air than a Thermarest that I just sold off 2nd hand. I put more air into it to ensure I was off the ground, to no avail. I found cold spots in the hips, feet, between the shoulder blades, and lower back. Everything else was TOASTY! I am not a cold sleeper…

What can be added to decrease the heat lost to the ground?

With this knowledge why would anyone buy a Big Agnes Sleep Bag?

Would the Primaloft version of the BA pad make that much of a difference?

What would you do differently?

tomsawyer222
03-11-2008, 05:57
Yea having some sort on insulation inside the pad is a must other wise it creates a convective current and sucks the heat out of your body. Maybe try an Exped down mat instead of the big angnes they are very warm.You loose more heat to thr ground than the air anyways. Or if you dont want a new pad maybe try a space blanket under the pad it would help some.

rpenczek
03-11-2008, 07:39
with a 15 degree air core pad and do not experience any cold spots. When its really cold, 0 degrees (I camp year round with my Scouts), I add a therm-a-rest under my air core pad.

I suspect the permaloft in the air core does the trick.

jlb2012
03-11-2008, 08:08
stick a thin CCF pad on top of the BA pad

rafe
03-11-2008, 08:16
Mara's (http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/pad.html) page explains it all. Seriously.

take-a-knee
03-11-2008, 08:25
stick a thin CCF pad on top of the BA pad

Like a Gossamer Gear Thinlight.

windigrrl
03-11-2008, 08:31
Would the Primaloft version of the BA pad make that much of a difference?
Yes it does make a difference. I use the BA sleeping system and I use the Primaloft pad for the cold months and the reg air mattress for summer.

MamaCat
03-11-2008, 17:37
I don't know if this might help or not, but possible try an emergency space blanket under the pad to reflect heat -- might be just enough or it might just tear up.

Summit
03-11-2008, 18:09
The new BA Dual Core version of their air pads is excellent. On my recent outing, I just had my sleeping bag draped over me at around 35* and the pad was toasty warm. I ain't fat but I'm old. :D So I need the comfort the BA air pads offer. I highly recommend the Dual Core. ;)

JAK
03-11-2008, 18:17
I am going to try sleeping with my day clothes sandwiched between two 1/4" CCF pads.

Bare Bear
03-11-2008, 18:20
Try using a heavy duty trash bag cut to a footprint of your tent under your tent to seal out mositure and air. Cheap. It has to be one of the 3 ml thick ones though.

Tinker
03-11-2008, 20:39
Air in a mattress alone only provides cushion. The air circulates inside the mattress taking your body heat away and replacing it with the cold air from the ground and the air outside the pad. Insulation keeps air from moving by holding it in tiny cells (foam) or between fibers (Primaloft, in the case of the BA insulated pad).
I have a non-insulated BA air core mummy pad and use a 3/8 blue foam cut to size on top of it (purchased at Wal-mart for $5-7.00). In warm weather you can put it underneath the pad to minimize punctures, too, or leave it at home to save weight.

Darwin again
03-11-2008, 22:34
Use a closed cell pad.