PDA

View Full Version : Should I kill my boots?

Jason of the Woods
03-11-2008, 09:55
So here it is two weeks before the big one and I am torn. I have an awesome pair of Scarpa boots and an equally awesome pair of Merrell Goretex Chamelions. I don't know which to take? Am I the only one who actually hikes in boots these days?:-?

Lone Wolf
03-11-2008, 09:56
either pair is fine as long as they're broke in.

Jason of the Woods
03-11-2008, 09:58
I'm about to go out today for the rest of the week and I am going to break the boots in a bit more. The shoes are brand new but already feel great.

LIhikers
03-11-2008, 09:59
Nope, I hike in boots too, Vasque Clarion.
I've thought of changing to something lighter but the Clarions fit my feet so well that in years of hiking I've never gotten a blister from them.

Jason of the Woods
03-11-2008, 10:28
Two hikers with more experience than I am old can't be wrong.;)

taildragger
03-11-2008, 11:04
If the shoe fits, wear it

Tinker
03-11-2008, 11:32
Even if your boots are broken in and feel comfortable around town, they might not treat you so well after a few days. If you can find the time, do a weekend hike with big miles and steep climbs, then see how your feet feel.
I thought I had my custom Limmers broken in before I did my first multi-day hike. They felt great, but chewed up my heels second day into a six day hike. I hiked the last four days in running shoes.

Appalachian Tater
03-11-2008, 12:20
Shoes are much safer to hike in because they don't restrict your ankle range of motion.

Blissful
03-11-2008, 13:24
My boots were broken in (Salomon GTX), still had blisters and then developed a calf problem by Virginia. Solved by switching to Brooks trail runners with adequate footbed support (I pronate) and good insoles and losing pack weight.

ATSeamstress
03-11-2008, 14:16
My first attempt at attaching a photo.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3563&stc=1&d=1205259219

wilconow
03-11-2008, 14:45
Kill the goretex trail runners too. Any additional protection they may give you is offset by breathability and the ability to dry faster

NICKTHEGREEK
03-11-2008, 15:11
Shoes are much safer to hike in because they don't restrict your ankle range of motion.
Now I know why parachutists jump in flip-flops.;) What am I overlooking?

unl1988
03-11-2008, 16:27
If you have two pairs of boots that you like equally and are broken in well enough to hike in, keep em both.

Either put one pair in your bounce box or have someone standing by to send them to you somewhere along the trail. That way you don't have to worry about breaking in a new pair of boots and a trusted pair of boots are available to you when you might need them.

Blue Jay
03-11-2008, 16:33
Am I the only one who actually hikes in boots these days?:-?

No there are plenty of people who like to carry an extra pound with each step. Hell, that's only a ton a mile. Boots also have the advantage of when they get wet they stay wet for a very long time. Many people love Trench Foot without having to join the Army.

LIhikers
03-11-2008, 16:56
...Boots also have the advantage of when they get wet they stay wet for a very long time...

Nothing truer was ever said. The only thing worse than wet boots is wet boots that have Gortex (or other waterproofing membrane) as part of their construction.

Tinker
03-11-2008, 20:59
From Nick the Geek:
I used to hike in boots for the extra ankle support (I've been over 200lbs. most of my adult life). When low tops became the rage, I tried them and found that my ankles actually got stronger and I turned them less than I did in my boots (because they weren't allowed to strengthen). I only hike in boots now if it's muddy or very wet and usually don't take them for multiday hikes except in the snow. I'm currently using sandals with a variety of socks (Sealskinz being waterproof, giving me the performance of boots without the weight). Boots now irritate the front of my ankles, since I don't wear them often anymore.

shelterbuilder
03-11-2008, 21:34
If these boots are broken in adequately, then I think that the bounce-box idea is probably your best bet. But make darn sure that they ARE broken in before the big one! Otherwise, by the time you get to Pa., your boots won't be the only things with tape on them! :eek:

Darwin again
03-11-2008, 22:23

Maybe that walking isn't "parachuting."
(I know skydivers who jump barefooted, btw.)

Darwin again
03-11-2008, 22:30
From Nick the Geek:
I used to hike in boots for the extra ankle support (I've been over 200lbs. most of my adult life). When low tops became the rage, I tried them and found that my ankles actually got stronger and I turned them less than I did in my boots (because they weren't allowed to strengthen). I only hike in boots now if it's muddy or very wet and usually don't take them for multiday hikes except in the snow. I'm currently using sandals with a variety of socks (Sealskinz being waterproof, giving me the performance of boots without the weight). Boots now irritate the front of my ankles, since I don't wear them often anymore.

I stopped hiking in boots years ago. The key to ankle support is building strong ankles through conditioning, not walking in ski boots, which is what you'd have to do to have bombproof ankle support. Military boots of the lace-up kind shore up the ankle but still allow it to move about. Carrying less weight helps the ankles, too. :D
(The AT isn't a paramilitary mission, TG.)

Jason of the Woods
03-15-2008, 10:51
I spent the last week in boots. I believe that I like the low cut better but will probably start in boots and buy a pair of shoes if needed.

aaroniguana
03-15-2008, 11:26
I wear my Garmont boots in snow and rocky terrain, Merrell Ventilators in warmer weather. I understand what Darwin and Tinker are saying, I've just never had any luck. If I start out in lowcut shoes I always end up turning an ankle and limping out.

Jason of the Woods
03-15-2008, 11:37
I rode skateboards and played lots of sports growing up that have turned my ankles into elastic. That is the main reason that I am even considering low cuts. I have turned my ankle on a lot of hikes and it just seems to hurt for a minute and then I'm good.

dessertrat
03-15-2008, 15:55
Wear whatever is most comfortable with your pack on. Why start in boots if you don't think you need to?

Bare Bear
03-16-2008, 11:22
You'll use both as the firstpair is going to wear out somewhere along the Trail. Be ready to have them sent to you asap.....It took a month for the USPS to get my old shoes from home to Bear Mountain,NY I had worn out two pairs of Northface crap by then. I finished in Merrills that are still like new after 1000 miles. Dirty and used but still good at least.

Jason of the Woods
03-16-2008, 11:54
Merrills it is. They dry quickly.

wakapak
03-16-2008, 12:05
my votes on chaco's.....:)

but as others have said, wear whatever is comfortable for you!

Jason of the Woods
03-16-2008, 12:11
Hello Stranger. Chacos would be good but wouldn't my toes get chilly in April?
my votes on chaco's.....:)

but as others have said, wear whatever is comfortable for you!

wakapak
03-16-2008, 12:22
Hello Stranger. Chacos would be good but wouldn't my toes get chilly in April?

i always wore socks with mine, smartwools is what i had most of the time and no liners needed. Some others would wear seal skins at times too, and a few wore low cut gaiters at times too....
i never really had a problem with cold toes, even when it snowed on us in early may in southern Va!

Jason of the Woods
03-16-2008, 16:34
I went with the Merrill Waterproof Chamellions. They are on my feet now being broken in. I will write a review after 200 miles.;)

Jail Break
03-16-2008, 18:34
Am I the only one who actually hikes in boots these days?:-?

Nope. Vasque Breeze XTR's here. I'm a Merrell fan too, (As far as comfort, but NOT product support.) I had the Pulse II... they were nice on a 15 day jaunt.