PDA

View Full Version : Approach Trail

Ashman
03-11-2008, 13:42
I read on a few other threads about the approach trail and how hard it is. Why is it considered difficult? I know nothing about except you have to go about 8 miles just to get to the beginning of the AT at Springer.

Lone Wolf
03-11-2008, 13:47
it's not hard at all. well maybe if you're 50 lbs. overweight, 70 lb. pack fresh off the couch it may be hard. it's really a gentle ascent. you don't have to do the approach trail. you can get a ride to within .9 of springer mtn.

Phreak
03-11-2008, 13:48
I read on a few other threads about the approach trail and how hard it is. Why is it considered difficult? I know nothing about except you have to go about 8 miles just to get to the beginning of the AT at Springer.

The difficulty is overrated IMO. There a few decent climbs but otherwise, it's just putting one foot in front of the other. It'll give you a good idea of what to expect throughout the rest of Georgia.

Ashman
03-11-2008, 13:48
Didn't know that. Does the appraoch trail start at the famous "arch" in the park? How do you get there by road?

max patch
03-11-2008, 13:49
1. Its not difficult.
2. It used to be harder, several relos over the years now take you around mountains rather than over the top.
3. It may be considered difficult as it the start of the hike and many hikers have just gotten off the couch and are not in shape.
4. You don't have to hike the approach, you can take FS42 to 0.9 miles from Springer.

Lone Wolf
03-11-2008, 13:49
Didn't know that. Does the appraoch trail start at the famous "arch" in the park? How do you get there by road?

the approach trail starts at the visitors center.
http://www.gastateparks.org/info/amicalola/#directions

Cuffs
03-11-2008, 14:04
Hard/difficult is relevant. If youve never hiked, (or just dont exercise regularly) it might be considered difficult. My first 'real' hike was the approach trail. I made it with over 35# of gear and waaayyyy too much food for an overnighter. Not the most fit person, but no couch potato either. My second trip up the approach was much better, but then again, I was slack-packing it!

paradoxb3
03-11-2008, 14:48
First time, straight off the couch last year, I thought the approach trail was hard. 2 weekends ago it was just normal GA trail.

As mentioned, anyone calling the approach difficult is either straight from the couch, or overweight (body and/or pack). Or perhaps they're just a dayhiker that enjoys a gentle hill or two.

bloodmountainman
03-11-2008, 15:27
I'm for the start of the AT to be Amicalola State Park. It would begin and end in a state park. No need for a approach trail.

hobojoe
03-11-2008, 15:29
If you don't do the approach trail you won't get enough speed to get to maine.

jlb2012
03-11-2008, 16:17
Do the rangers know someone is selling speed on the approach trail? ;)

Heater
03-11-2008, 16:19
Do the rangers know someone is selling speed on the approach trail? ;)

LOL! Dat wuz funy. :D

Thrasher
03-11-2008, 17:02
I did the approach trail a few weeks ago for the first time. It was not too difficult, my wife needed a few more breaks than I, but we made it to Springer in about 6 hours. This was are most difficult overnight hike so far. We noticed a few people that were overweight and also carrying a lot of gear were very tired. Like everyone has said, if you're already an active hiker, it should not be difficult. We enjoyed the Approach Trail and may go back soon and do it again, but next time we'll go out for a few more days!

Rainman
03-11-2008, 17:07
Definitely walk the approach trail. Starting at the arch behind the visitor's center of Amicalola SP is part of the spiritual journey for me. If you are walking to Maine anyway, what's another 8 miles. If you yellow blaze just to get to the top of Springer, it's kind of starting off on the wrong foot.

DavidNH
03-11-2008, 17:10
don't think the approach trail is hard at all..certainly no harder than the neigboring AT. Those who find it hard, I suspect it is because it is the start of the hike after a long sednetary period preceding and perhaps they have very high pack weights (like 60 pounds plus).

I actually thought it was kind of nice. Gives you some hiking legs before you actually hit the real stuff..the AT.

DavidNH

MamaCat
03-11-2008, 17:16
I did the approach up to Springer shelter for my very 1st backpack. For that instance it was a little hard because I was not used to carrying a pack. But it is doable, like Phreak said, just put one foot in front of the other. If you want to hike it, hike it. It doesn't matter how fast or how many breaks or how tired you get, just enjoy yourself.

John Klein
03-11-2008, 17:19
The lodge at Amicalola Falls state park sells a T shirt that says, "I survived the 604 steps..." or something like that.

Cuffs
03-11-2008, 21:38
I think that shirt is for the stairs to the top of the falls...?

Uncle B
03-11-2008, 22:15
If you want to avoid the 604 steps, take the Eastern Ridge Trail (I believe it's still considered part of the Approach Trail - someone correct me if I'm wrong). They both start directly behind the Visitor's Center and eventually connect in about a mile give or take. You'll bypass the steps, but you'll also miss seeing the waterfall. Of course the waterfall can be viewed from the road before you leave for your hike, too.

I took the Eastern Ridge Trail this past Sat and I wasn't the only one.....
http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/7176/tj7176%5F031108%5F084113%5F299231.jpg

Tennessee Viking
03-11-2008, 22:17
from fsr 42, its a 500 ft climb in .9 up to the springer summit

Blissful
03-11-2008, 22:20
Well, I thought it was kind of hard. But then again Paul Bunyan was still half sick and dragging and I was having foot problems. But the hikers we met along the way made it a great experience, along with reaching Springer Mtn. Glad I did it.

bulldog49
03-11-2008, 23:00
It's not difficult, just boring and pointless if you can start at the top.

rafe
03-11-2008, 23:05
It's not difficult, just boring and pointless if you can start at the top.

Any more boring and pointless than the distance from Springer summit to Katahdin summit? :-? The whole thing's a PUD. Or is it a MUD? I get so confused...

bulldog49
03-12-2008, 07:48
Any more boring and pointless than the distance from Springer summit to Katahdin summit? :-?

In a word, yes.

Why not walk from your home to Springer?

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 07:50
.... and why not walk every blue-blaze trail off the AT?

briarpatch
03-12-2008, 10:10
The lodge at Amicalola Falls state park sells a T shirt that says, "I survived the 604 steps..." or something like that.

Those steps are part the section I maintain. My section goes from the arch at the visitors center to the top of the falls. I don't have lots of water bars, but I do have to watch out for termites.

jersey joe
03-12-2008, 10:21
The approach trail is more difficult because most hikers(including myself) begin with more weight than they should be carrying.
I agree that the AT should just begin at the archway at the visitor center. I don't like the idea of hiking south from the parking lot on the AT just to get to the beginning and turn around.

Uncle B
03-12-2008, 10:52
The approach trail is more difficult because most hikers(including myself) begin with more weight than they should be carrying.
I agree that the AT should just begin at the archway at the visitor center. I don't like the idea of hiking south from the parking lot on the AT just to get to the beginning and turn around.

For future refrence:

From the 2007 Tru-hiker's companion:

"If you don't want to retrace your steps on the AT, an alternative is to continue 1.7 miles past the AT crossing to USFS 42's intersection with the Benton MacKaye Trail (BMT). The BMT leads 1.5 miles up Springer and joins the AT just north of the sourthern terminus."

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 10:55
sucks coming down katahdin the same way you go up

hobojoe
03-12-2008, 10:58
Done and Done....

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 10:59
Done and Done....

no you haven't

Mags
03-12-2008, 11:00

It sucked coming down Katahdin because it meant the journey was over ... :(

mudhead
03-12-2008, 11:11
It was watermelon-coly for you?

Phreak
03-12-2008, 12:24
I don't like the idea of hiking south from the parking lot on the AT just to get to the beginning and turn around.
It's only .9 mile... no biggie.

Lion King
03-12-2008, 12:27
Do it.

Hike it.

Dont fear it.

Its just a hill.

and when you get to the top of the falls there is a coke machine and bathrooms.

Thats why I hike it everytime I go there.

hobojoe
03-12-2008, 13:05
no you haven't
That's funny, I'm pretty sure you've never met me, or know anything about me. But it's obvious that you don't base any of your thoughts/words/posts in reality. You are the person who contributes the least to this site while taking up a large amount of server space, and I wish you'd just go hiking or something. "Done and done" means to me that I have taken your advice and I WILL hike every blazed trail connected to the AT ASAP. But yet again I digress.....

max patch
03-12-2008, 13:11
"Done and done" means to me that I have taken your advice and I WILL hike every blazed trail connected to the AT ASAP. But yet again I digress.....

Do you have a clue what you have just committed to do?

No offense, I hope you can do it, but I sure wish I could somehow place a bet.

Jail Break
03-12-2008, 13:14
That's funny, I'm pretty sure you've never met me, or know anything about me. But it's obvious that you don't base any of your thoughts/words/posts in reality. You are the person who contributes the least to this site while taking up a large amount of server space, and I wish you'd just go hiking or something. "Done and done" means to me that I have taken your advice and I WILL hike every blazed trail connected to the AT ASAP. But yet again I digress.....

Don't hold back bro... let it all out.

rafe
03-12-2008, 13:15
new heights of absurdity... off to la-la land. just another day on whiteblaze... :cool:

Heater
03-12-2008, 13:16

Freaking blue blazer... :D

Heater
03-12-2008, 13:18
Do you have a clue what you have just committed to do?

No offense, I hope you can do it, but I sure wish I could somehow place a bet.

:confused::-?;):D

Dances with Mice
03-12-2008, 13:23
I don't like the idea of hiking south from the parking lot on the AT just to get to the beginning and turn around.Georgia has shelters further than from the Trail than that.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 13:23

ease up joey. i give more to this site by accident than you'll ever give on purpose. when you said "done and done" i took it mean you had already "done" all the blue blazes. you need to explain better. lose the anger, you're representing your hippie-love community very well. :)

rafe
03-12-2008, 13:25
ease up joey. i give more to this site by accident than you'll ever give on purpose. when you said "done and done" i took it mean you had already "done" all the blue blazes. you need to explain better. lose the anger, you're representing your hippie-love community very well. :)

as you represent the redneck troglodyte reactionaries :D

Heater
03-12-2008, 13:33

Oh, wow. The ultimate authority strikes back. :eek:

Should make a movie or something! :-?

I think you should kick the hippie! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/violent116.gif

Dances with Mice
03-12-2008, 13:36
I think Wolf caused Joe to release his inner troglodyte.

The Approach Trail is a fine trail, worth walking even if it didn't go to Springer. It has the waterfall, a few other nice views, a plane crash memorial, a decent shelter and then the climb up to the Springer summit from the south is a much nicer walk than the Trail from the summit north.

And if you start signing registers at the shelter on the Approach, then the one at the Terminus then the one at Springer shelter you might think that all hikers do all day is write.

mlkelley
03-12-2008, 13:56
You know, I'm a nobody on this site. I've offered nothing of any substance here. But I feel that your (hobojoe) characterization of Lone Wolf is WAY off base. Although quite "pithy", his insight into many things is astounding to me. There have been times that one of his 6 word posts have set me on a path of thought that otherwise I might never have gone down. Do I agree with all that he says?........No. But for you to say that he does not contibute in a positive way to this site is, well........absurd.

DesertMTB
03-12-2008, 14:25

You sure have a big mouth for a 23 year old kid.

hobojoe
03-12-2008, 14:25
Troglodyte, eh? I'd rather be a brutish, disconnected, cave dweller than a hippie any day.
P.S. No one reads my disclaimer anymore.

Heater
03-12-2008, 14:27
You know, I'm a nobody on this site. I've offered nothing of any substance here. But I feel that your (hobojoe) characterization of Lone Wolf is WAY off base. Although quite "pithy", his insight into many things is astounding to me. There have been times that one of his 6 word posts have set me on a path of thought that otherwise I might never have gone down. Do I agree with all that he says?........No. But for you to say that he does not contibute in a positive way to this site is, well........absurd.

Yeah. He is knowlegable. Probably a really nice person. A real buttface sometimes to those he knows... At least, I hope he knows them.

;)

Heater
03-12-2008, 14:29
Troglodyte, eh? I'd rather be a brutish, disconnected, cave dweller than a hippie any day.
P.S. No one reads my disclaimer anymore.

Big and pretty! ;););):D

hobojoe
03-12-2008, 14:31
You sure have a big mouth for a 23 year old kid.
All the better to eat you with my dear. -Big bad wolf

DesertMTB
03-12-2008, 14:33
All the better to eat you with my dear. -Big bad wolf

That's just little too gay.

hobojoe
03-12-2008, 14:35
Big and pretty! ;););):D
You meant PETTY.
Back on topic, I thougt the aproach trail was a great way to start a thru. A good amount for a first days hike, and then you come around a corner ,and there it is, Springer, a truly inspirational view to a new begining, And then a short hike brings you to the shelter where you are introduced to the community of thru hiking. I wouldn't change a thing. I did it my first year and I'll do it again this year.

hobojoe
03-12-2008, 14:38
That's just little too gay.
You just called me a kid and said I had a big mouth and now you are calling me a homosexual. Now who is childish? I haven't been called gay since i was in Jr high (last year).

DesertMTB
03-12-2008, 14:42
You just called me a kid and said I had a big mouth and now you are calling me a homosexual. Now who is childish? I haven't been called gay since i was in Jr high (last year).

I didn't call you a homosexual. What you SAID sounded a little gay.

hobojoe
03-12-2008, 14:44
no, you said that about the big bad (lonely?) wolf. See: Little Red Riding Hood.

swellbill
03-12-2008, 15:03

I love blue blazes. I sorta know where the white ones go but I always find myself following (or wanting to follow) the blue blazes. Thats where the cool stuff is :)

Tinker
03-12-2008, 16:25
Oh...............I thought I had gotten to the wrong thread somehow.

I'd say that, being the first hike of the season in '06, the Approach Trail was relatively hard for a (then) 52 year old ex-distance out of shape, overweight overpacked hiker.
I enjoyed the heck out of it, though, because I considered it to be a "must do" for an AT enthusiast. Heck, if I get to do a thru when I retire, I might do it AGAIN (unless I do a SOBO - just wouldn't be any challenge going down it.

Lion King
03-12-2008, 21:02
since i was in Jr high (last year).

HAHAH!:D

Nice.

weary
03-12-2008, 21:04
The approach trail is a very nice trail., a very scenic trail. For most people who regularly hike to the summits of the Appalachian trail, it would be considered a piece of cake. Most would welcome such a trail in their midsts.

It is in no way harder than you will experience hiking to Maine, but not the easiest either. The question deals not with whether it can be done, but rather about how you approach the idea of a thru hike.

If your aim is to get to Maine as easily as possible skip the approach trail, though you should recognize that that decision indicates that you probably will never see Maine. One can easily skip the approach, just as one can always find excuses for quitting. We all experience physical and family difficulties that produce valid reasons, or at least plausible reasons, for saying the hell with this, I'm going home.

I kind of think that most who act on these natural temptations, are also those that skip the approach.

Weary

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 21:04
HAHAH!:D

Nice.

he must be one dumb mofo to graduate jr. high at 22, too much dope

Lion King
03-12-2008, 21:05
he must be one dumb mofo to graduate jr. high at 22, too much dope

Wolf, come have a beer with me man.

Im at the Clarion in Garden City Kansas.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2008, 21:08
give me an hour or 2.

fiddlehead
03-12-2008, 22:32
For me, whether to do the approach trail or not totally depends on my ride.
I've done it from the arch, driven into Nimblewill Gap (interesting side-trip through some real Baptist country), as well as the parking lot at the top on FS road 42.

If I can get to the top, i'll take it. If not, no big deal, it's just another day on the trail.

Frosty
03-12-2008, 23:05
I'd say that, being the first hike of the season in '06, the Approach Trail was relatively hard for a (then) 52 year old ex-distance out of shape, overweight overpacked hiker.You know, I didn't mind when you left me in the dust standing up the arch. I didn't say anything when I got to the top of Frosty Mtn and you had your hammock strung up, taking a nap while waiting for me. I didn't mind when I got to Black Gap Shelter, woofing and wheezing, and you offered to trot a half mile downhill for water while I lay on the ground sucking air like an ancient Hoover. I didn't comment when I got to Springer and you were all set up and had already cooked dinner and offered me a ready made meal.

But now you say you were out of shape, overweight and overpacked at the time :eek:

Tinker
03-12-2008, 23:09
I didn't say anything to you because I am a compassionate person. I was just a little excited, that's all. Believe me, just because I can do something and make it look easy doesn't mean it is (was) - (I caught my breath when you weren't looking ;)).

Tinker
03-12-2008, 23:10
Hey, WAIT! Didn't you start up before I did???? :)

Wise Old Owl
03-12-2008, 23:13

Yep Jersey joe had the correct answer. Too Much Stuff in the Backpack

rafe
03-12-2008, 23:27
I must be stoopid. It never occurred to me not to do the approach trail. :-?

Sailor (The other one)
03-13-2008, 05:24
Here's what the Approach Trail can be like if you're old, fat, out of shape and carrying too much weight.
http://www.brownkatz.com/Outdoor%20Services%202.htm

jersey joe
03-13-2008, 08:23
I agree, they should have hang gliders waiting for you at the top!

jersey joe
03-13-2008, 08:25
It's only .9 mile... no biggie.
It isn't the milage, it's the fact that you aren't starting at the BEGINNING.

Dances with Mice
03-13-2008, 08:40
It isn't the milage, it's the fact that you aren't starting at the BEGINNING.There is an alternative route (http://gorp.away.com/gorp/books/excerpts/springer.htm)for those wanting to start at the beginning, first blazed by Robie "Jump Start" Hnesley.

Frosty
03-13-2008, 09:24
It isn't the milage, it's the fact that you aren't starting at the BEGINNING.I blame this on lack of proper potty-training in your formative years.

Mags
03-13-2008, 10:08
It was watermelon-coly for you?

You could say that. :sun

jersey joe
03-13-2008, 23:45
I blame this on lack of proper potty-training in your formative years.
Quite possible.

Sly
03-13-2008, 23:58

Oh please, there's lots of times on the AT or any other trail where you hike south going north. If you don't want to retrace your steps start at the BMT off FS 42.

Sly
03-14-2008, 00:00
I must be stoopid. It never occurred to me not to do the approach trail. :-?

Since there's several other options, yeah!

jersey joe
03-14-2008, 22:05
Oh please, there's lots of times on the AT or any other trail where you hike south going north. If you don't want to retrace your steps start at the BMT off FS 42.
Or at the archway at the visitor center?!? Not backtracking to get to springer was just one very small factor in me doing the approach trail.

Heater
03-14-2008, 22:40
I want my first steps to be from the Plaque forward. Cannot do that by starting the trail .9 miles forward. YMMV. ;)

I'll do the approach. :D