PDA

View Full Version : Kincora

shades of blue
03-11-2008, 18:15
Would it be better to send a drop box to Kincora, or does Bob shuttle you into town for groceries?

Footslogger
03-11-2008, 18:25
Would it be better to send a drop box to Kincora, or does Bob shuttle you into town for groceries?
============================

Depends on how big of a hurry you are in. Bob does shuttle into town for food but he waits until he has a full car. If you are hiking in late afternoon and want to hike out the next morning it is faster to just ship yourself a box there.

'Slogger

Wonder
03-11-2008, 18:44
I've never had any trouble picking up a mail drop from Kinkora. It was there waiting for me safe and sound

10-K
03-11-2008, 19:32

I'm glad you asked this - I was wondering the exact same thing!

Wonder
03-11-2008, 19:35
He will run shuttles to the store....at least he did on my last 2 visits.

Appalachian Tater
03-11-2008, 19:36
You probably want to go on the shuttle so you can go to a restaurant even if you get a mail drop. It's a nice large grocery store, no need for a drop.

Blissful
03-11-2008, 19:39
When we were there (in April) I sent a drop box. Bob did shuttle us into town the day we arrived as they were going to church (we ate out and picked up lunch stuff) , but then a snowstorm hit and so he couldn't shuttle anyone the following day.

Jack Tarlin
03-13-2008, 15:40
Bob will happily shuttle you to the supermarket in nearby Elizabethtown; he usually does this twice a day in hiker season. However, be aware that each shuttle takes him around 2 hours, so don't show up later in the evening and expect him to drop everything at the drop of a hat and take you down mountain. Every year there's some unhappy a****** who bitches about the lack of shuttle availability at Kincora, failing to mention that the hiker arrived after dark and after Bob had already spent five hours that day driving folks around. You want a shuttle? It's happily provided for free.....just try and get there before six.

hobojoe
03-13-2008, 15:51
AT fact of the day: Every time bob peoples drives Dennis cove road he goes a little faster.

Sly
03-13-2008, 16:14
With due respect, it's Kincora. Not Kinkora, not Kinccora, not Kincorra. :D

Jan LiteShoe
03-13-2008, 16:16
Bob will happily shuttle you to the supermarket in nearby Elizabethtown; he usually does this twice a day in hiker season. However, be aware that each shuttle takes him around 2 hours, so don't show up later in the evening and expect him to drop everything at the drop of a hat and take you down mountain. Every year there's some unhappy a****** who bitches about the lack of shuttle availability at Kincora, failing to mention that the hiker arrived after dark and after Bob had already spent five hours that day driving folks around. You want a shuttle? It's happily provided for free.....just try and get there before six.

And gas ain't getting any cheaper!~
The classy thing would be to notice that and kick in.
Be generous -the money gets plowed back into the hostel.

D'Artagnan
03-13-2008, 16:57
I had the privilege of hopping a ride with Mrs. Peoples. Aside from her excellent driving skills in the curves, she was a GREAT conversationalist. (I recall paying since she had to go out of her way and it was the LEAST I felt I could do.) As has been mentioned, gas ain't cheap!

Sly
03-13-2008, 16:59
Anyway of sending a donation to Hardcore? Jack can I just give you some money?

hobojoe
03-13-2008, 17:06
Anyway of sending a donation to Hardcore? Jack can I just give you some money?
Donating to any trail crew would be great. Not just the ones who get alot of attention. Donating your time is what hardcore is realy about.

Sly
03-13-2008, 17:07
Donating to any trail crew would be great. Not just the ones who get alot of attention. Donating your time is what hardcore is realy about.

Yeah right, but food ain't free. I hope to do a few days work on the PCT this year.

hobojoe
03-13-2008, 17:30
True, I just never heard them ask for donations. I could be totaly wrong though. Please correct me and answer sly's question.

Jan LiteShoe
03-13-2008, 17:34
True, I just never heard them ask for donations. I could be totaly wrong though. Please correct me and answer sly's question.

No, they don't. Ask, that is. Very true.

Just do the math though. Does $4 a night keep the lights on, put gas in the tank, toilet paper in the johns (some of which gets lifted) and the property taxes, maintenance and insurance paid?

Just because they do it from their hearts, doesn't mean we can't open our wallets and toss in the shortfall. I can't speak for the Peoples, but I think they want to turn noone away, hence the low rate. Most give more than asked.

hobojoe
03-13-2008, 17:40
Heck yes I donated to kinkora when I stayed there, and I know that anything extra goes into the hostel, but I'm talking about Hard core itself. Two years ago Fishin' Fred Gave a good sum of $ from his sticker sales directly to hardcore, but I think sly wants an official channel. I guess he will have to go visit and put it directly in the Kincora till.

Jan LiteShoe
03-13-2008, 17:43
Heck yes I donated to kinkora when I stayed there, and I know that anything extra goes into the hostel, but I'm talking about Hard core itself. Two years ago Fishin' Fred Gave a good sum of $ from his sticker sales directly to hardcore, but I think sly wants an official channel. I guess he will have to go visit and put it directly in the Kincora till.

Oh, okay, my bad. I was thinking he wanted to donate to Kincora.

Jack Tarlin
03-14-2008, 14:00
The annual "Hardcore" work project absolutely accepts donations from anyone who wants to help out..

The Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club (or individuals associated with the Club) help out each year; Bob and Pat Peoples also contribute a great deal personally each year. Over the years several other folks and groups (Lone Wolf for example; the Billville hiker's group, etc. have also made large contributions.

But the event seems to get bigger each year, and food costs sure aren't going down (I know this to be true because I do much of the shopping and cooking each year!).

So if anyone wants to help out this year, they can by all means send a check to Bob and Pat at Kincora, or they can find Bob at Trail Days in May.

Thanks in advance to anyone that donates or takes part this year!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-14-2008, 14:13
Jack, is Billville doing the feed this year? If so, where do we send the donations since Jester will be hiking.

Jack Tarlin
03-14-2008, 14:22
F.D.

Let me clarify: Billville has never "done" the feed at Hardcore. This is not a Billville event. It is sponsored by the Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club and Kincora Hostel. Over the years, various Billville people and friends have taken part in feeding the workers, especially with the cooking part of things on the second day of Hardcore. But this is not, and never has been a Billville event, so Jester's presence or non-presence has nothing to do with things.

People that want to take part in Hardcore 2008 or who want to contribute to it should, as I said, get in touch with Bob, either at Kincora Hostel (1278 Dennis Cove Road, Hampton, TN, 37658) or they can find him at Trail Days.

Thank you.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-14-2008, 14:30
F.D.

Let me clarify: Billville has never "done" the feed at Hardcore. This is not a Billville event.Sorry, I knew the event itself was co-sponsored by The local maintaining club and Kincora, but I was under impression Billville had paid for the food at Hardcore in the past. I'll send Something to Bob to help feed the workers.

Lone Wolf
03-14-2008, 14:35
Sorry, I knew the event itself was co-sponsored by The local maintaining club and Kincora, but I was under impression Billville had paid for the food at Hardcore in the past. I'll send Something to Bob to help feed the workers.

Billville and Hobocentral pitched in $$ a few years ago

Sly
03-14-2008, 14:52
Jack, is Billville doing the feed this year? If so, where do we send the donations since Jester will be hiking.

The only "official" Billville events I know of are:

The Winter Warmer at the Doyle

The Hiker feed in Duncannon in July

They also have tents (and events) at Trail Days and The Gathering but aren't officially sanctioned.

Bag O' Tricks was selected Deputy Mayor in Jester's absence and will running things.

:D