PDA

View Full Version : How much planning do/did you do.

Doctari
01-19-2004, 20:16
I just spent a few hours planning my (probibly never going to happen) Thru hike. I have it down to almost each inch mapped out even though I know from experience I will not follow it very much if ever I get to Thru.

So that leads me to ask: How much planning do or did you do for your hikes? Of course mostly for a Thru hike.

Doctari
01-20-2004, 11:16
Doctari, are you they very Doctari whose tuna casserole recipe appears in "Lipsmackin' Backpackin'"? That's excellent trail food, even without the tuna (I substituted vegetarian "chicken").Yes, I think thats mine in there.

The recipe for Chapattis has a misprint (NOT MINE) they for some reason put in add too much water, I don't remember how much, but the original I sent them said add water till you have a dough similar to pie crust, they changed it to something like: add 1 cup water.

Thanks for noticin me :)

Doctari.

squirrel bait
02-08-2004, 06:55
I think I will go north. My plan is to buy all used gear and go. :jump
Stove........lilredmg
Tent.........YewToo
Cook pot....FoodBag
Pack..........Open
Sleep Bag....Open .....anyone with used gear, maybe even a hammock, I'm interested. No piece to small. I'll pay frieght. Thanks.

sloetoe
02-08-2004, 15:32
Eisenhower said "War Plans are absolutely useless."
He then said "But War Planning is absolutely vital."

I think that captures things nicely.

rambunny
02-08-2004, 15:46
I dreamed since 4th grade-seriously planned for 2-3 years i could tell you where i would camp each nite what i would be having for breakfast on the 60th day ect. but once i was actually there i learned that all that planning makes great fire starter, it's about the journey and being flexable to magic.Happy Trails Rambunny

Skyline
02-13-2004, 23:33
Planning is great so that you can estimate food/resupply needs and other logistics (especially for us section hikers), but to actually follow an itinerary like it's some kind of legal contract doesn't work for me.

Jaybird
02-20-2004, 12:36
I just spent a few hours planning my (probibly never going to happen) Thru hike................ How much planning do or did you do for your hikes? Of course mostly for a Thru hike.

I'm not a strict planner....since i've hiked/backpacked for quite a few years now...i know, somewhat, the items i need for a 7 to 14 day section hike.

i remember my first section hike on the A.T.....i was soooooooooooooo over prepared it was hilarious....2 of everything with another spare just in case.....@ NEELS GAP i (& partner: "TeePee") shipped back home about 20lbs worth of "not-needed" stuff

m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-tuna casserole!

see ya'll UP the trail (a little lighter & wiser..)

Smooth03
02-20-2004, 14:18
I am a vegetarian as well and somewhat slight in my weight(6'3" 155 lbs) so when I was planning my thru-hike I was very concerned about losing weight and therefore pre-made all of my dinners. I used a lot of TVP which is a good suggestion even for those who are not vegetarian. In the end my planning paid off because some how I lost only 5 lbs. It was loads of work to make over 150 dinners but in the end I think it was worth it. People survive every year on Liptons but their caloric level weren't as high as the meals I prepared.
PS I hear that the authors are making(or maybe allready made) a Vegetarian Lipsmackin' Backpackin. Can't weight!

I'm a vegetarian, a former triathlete, and I burn out on food pretty quickly. I know I can't survive on convenience store food for six months plus I'm a slow hiker so I tend to be behind "packs" which means lots of resupply places are cleaned out by the time I get there. So I'm putting a lot of planning into my meals and maildrops: dehydrating, vacuum packaging, etc. I'm also hiking on a budget so gear and meals have to be tried out in advance so minimize the expense of having to replace things along the trail. It's actually been fun and I've astounded and amazed my roommate, dog, and neighbors who get to enjoy the fruits of my meal experimentation (jerky dehydrated too long makes for great chewy dog treats)!

Doctari, are you they very Doctari whose tuna casserole recipe appears in "Lipsmackin' Backpackin'"? That's excellent trail food, even without the tuna (I substituted vegetarian "chicken").

loonyhiker
02-20-2004, 17:52
I hope to do the trail in 5 years (when I retire) but every winter, when the AT fever hits, I get out my books and maps and pretend that I'm going to do it this spring. I think about where I plan to stop and how far I plan to go each day, what I plan to eat, etc. Then with a sigh, I listen to everyone talk about getting ready to go. Many of you don't realize that as you start, I am sitting here waving good bye and wishing you good luck. Someday, that too will be me! (another BIG sigh...)