PDA

View Full Version : Blue Mountain Lakes Rd., NJ

Don H
03-11-2008, 21:01
Does anyone know if you can access the trail by Blue Mt. Lakes Rd located north of Delaware Water Gap? My ATC map shows a gate about a mile from the trail. I'm doing a section hike next month and have a friend who would like to leave a car there for one day while we hike from Gren Anderson Shelter to Blue Mt. Lakes Rd.
Thanks!

Toolshed
03-11-2008, 21:55
You can take the road to the top of Blue Mountain. the parking for the trail is right next to the trail (20 yards away) next to a handpump water well.

If you go over the crest of the mountain, you can turn left and take the road (a little rough in the spring in spots) to Crater lake and Access the trail from there as well. I will try to post a google map, but I do hike there often- IIt is a very nice section, You actually drive over the trail to park.

Toolshed
03-11-2008, 22:15
Unfortunately, Google Earth does not do this section justice.
You would want to come in From I-80 and take Old Mine Road (First exit in NJ) around 8-9 miles to the old town of Millbrook, then turn left on Millbrook flatbrook road and follow it North for 1.5 miles to Blue Mountain Lakes road (Might be called Stillwater road on some maps). There is an old country store/non-operating hotel that is open in the summer months for supplies, and light simple foods (Hot Dogs, soda...).

Turn right here at the building and start driving up BML Road. In just under 1.5 Miles you will come to the parking on the left for Blue Mountain Lake.
Keep going, it is a nice road, though I think it says "unmaintained road ahead"
you'll reach the AT parking lot on the right in 2.75 miles from the country Store turn-off. If you go further, you either hit the gate at the top or turn left and drive out to Crater lake on Skyline Drive, which has some really nice views.

The AT lot also has a large electrical generator-conversion-type thingee fenced in, so you know you are in the right area. The AT is just to the left of the water pump, and crosses the road right there as well.

Don't make the mistake of Coming up BML road from the other side of Blue Mountain, (Blairstown side), while it is a few minutes easier to get there, You will hit another gate with little opportunity for parking and have to walk uphill about 1/2 mile. to get to the gate at the top.

rafe
03-11-2008, 22:58
You can take the road to the top of Blue Mountain. the parking for the trail is right next to the trail (20 yards away) next to a handpump water well.

the pump don't work cuz the vandals took the handles.

seriously, no agua when i was there... :(

schmuttis
03-12-2008, 09:05
Here's more info about the parking in the area as well as a Google map link: http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=3%20&sectionID=26.

This link has pictures of the pump and parking area: http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_NJsection5/ATPictures.aspx (mm 9.3 - 10.6).

STEVEM
03-12-2008, 10:14
the pump don't work cuz the vandals took the handles.

seriously, no agua when i was there... :(

The pump had a handle and worked in August '07. Water was red with iron and tasted really bad though. You might want to take a pass on this water if you have a choice.

Don H
03-12-2008, 10:58
Thanks for the info! So the pump is currently not working?

STEVEM
03-12-2008, 16:01
Thanks for the info! So the pump is currently not working?

The pump worked August '07, the water was nasty, but probably safe. I don't know if terrapins information is newer than mine.

rafe
03-12-2008, 16:43
I was there mid-sept '06... my post was simply an observation of a moment in time ;) (nobody remarked on the Dylan reference :o)

Toolshed
03-12-2008, 18:16
I am pretty sure I used the pump last fall - My 6 year old and I were pumping it like crazy. You had to pump about 30 gallons out before it stopped coming out rusty. I drank from it about 2-3 years ago with no issues.

Some Parks in Northern PA use the same handpumps and you learn that the first few strokes clean out the spiders and the next 20 strokes clean out the rust. :D