PDA

View Full Version : A 50th anniversary - adventure

Old Hillwalker
03-11-2008, 21:34
On June 23rd 2008 as a sixty eight year old I will be departing my house in New Hampshire for my trip to Baxter State Park and the beginning of my big adventure, SOBO on the AT.

On June 23rd 1958 as an eighteen year old I left my parents house in New Hampshire to join the United States Army where I spent my next 25 years.

This could well be my very last big adventure, but I can't wait.

See you out there.

Blissful
03-11-2008, 22:14
Have a great hike and a great adventure. It's worth it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-11-2008, 22:22
Can hardly wait to follow your hike - you are a man after my own heart.

mudhead
03-12-2008, 19:11
You're waiting for the bugs to calm down, or the ice to melt, or both.

Have fun.

Cherokee Bill
03-12-2008, 19:57
At 61, I have to work 4 more years before retiring! At 66yo, I will be part of the "AT" Class of 2013 :D

So I will follow your trip closely. PLEASE, keep us up todate on your Thru ;)

Are you going to use www.Trailjournals.com (http://www.Trailjournals.com) ?

CrumbSnatcher
03-12-2008, 20:01
On June 23rd 2008 as a sixty eight year old I will be departing my house in New Hampshire for my trip to Baxter State Park and the beginning of my big adventure, SOBO on the AT.

On June 23rd 1958 as an eighteen year old I left my parents house in New Hampshire to join the United States Army where I spent my next 25 years.

This could well be my very last big adventure, but I can't wait.

See you out there.if you need anything at all, dont hesitate to ask. most of the whiteblazers will give you the shirt right off thier back. questions answered or a couple maildrops. no problem. have a great journey...:banana

the goat
03-12-2008, 22:32
glad you're doing it this year, hillwalker, and sobo too!

i can't wait to hear all a/b it, just be sure you're done by trashgiving.

Old Hillwalker
03-13-2008, 10:28
That's me, Antsy to go. Thanks everyone for their well wishes. Since I have no one to send me mail drops or transcribe for me I don't know about keeping an on-line journal yet.

I am going to try and finish before Trashgiving and make it three in a row, but we'll see. Someone needs to come up with a trail work project if I don't.

Bugs will be good, since I'm bringing my fly rod from Baxter to Andover and that's when the Brookies and Rainbows are the most active. Hopefully I will be as sick of Trout as most people are of Ramen by the time I hit Andover.

Gonna be busting my hump to get my trailwork and corridor monitoring duties done before I leave for Baxter. But that's just more fitness preperation anyway.

Here it is mid March, and I'm looking outside at four feet of snow in my woods thinking that Spring will never get here. I do have sap buckets hung and it is running a little. Temps are still getting down to the single numbers at night, and days getting up into the high thirties.

Hmmm, here I go rambling again....sorry