PDA

View Full Version : When is Hardcore this year?

cocoa
03-11-2008, 21:42
We think it is the Monday after Trail Days, but are not sure, anybody have more info on this?

Cocoa & Monkey
AT 2007

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-11-2008, 22:06
Hardcore has always been the Sunday & Monday after Trail Days ends. I haven't heard what is planned for this year.

Lugnut
03-11-2008, 22:52
It is the Sunday and Monday after Trail Days. We pick people up at the post office at 10 AM on Sunday.

Carp
03-11-2008, 22:57
Hardcore? Do tell.

Tennessee Viking
03-12-2008, 01:28
Hardcore? Do tell.
Hardcore is a huge 2-day trail maintenance event that the Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club puts on each year at the end of Trail Days. It is hosted and much of the logistics are done by the Bob and Pat Peoples at Kincora Hostel in Dennis Cove. Nearby Braemar Castle and Laurel Fork Lodge will also in help in accomendations. Then some hikers also use the nearby campgrounds and trail campsites depending on location.

Hikers will be shuttled from Damascus to Kincora for a briefing on building trail and layout for accomendations. Hikers will be responsible for most of their food/supplies for the first day. There will be some drive-in volunteers and club folk that will provide transportation into town for food and supplies if needed. But at the conclusion of the second day, a dinner will be provided for all participants. And maintenance patches/funny awards will follow. Then Tuesday, many of the drive-in volunteers and club folk will then provide transportation for the thru-hikers back to Damascus or various spots along the trail where they jumped off.

Past events have been for the Elk River relo, Mountaineer Falls shelter construction, Clyde Smith shelter refit, and Cherry Gap relo. The 2008 Hardcore event is going to be a two-parter. We will work the first day at Little Bald Knob/Cherry Gap around Unaka Mountain. We will probably send a small group up to the summit to jump on a large rock work relo for Konnarock Crews. 2nd day we will jump over to the lower side of Grassy Ridge on Roan in between the split and Stan Murray Shelter. There is also a small relo on Little Hump. We will probably camp a group of hikers at the Barn and Stan Murray Shelters to have a crew there at first light. Then everyone will join up at Kincora.

If you are interested, contact Kincora Hostel for general info. But the sign up sheets will only be done at the Hardcore tent at Damascus Trail Days. Accomendations/transportation/tools are limited, camping/sleeping space goes quick, so signup as soon as you get to Damascus. But if you have your own accomendations and transportation, you can talk to Bob about joining in on the fun.

Carp
03-12-2008, 11:00
Sounds cool. I'll be doing that assuming I make it to Trail Days.

Lugnut
03-12-2008, 11:30
The sign up board is usually at the ATC/ALDHA tent. Don't know anything about a Hardcore tent?

Chaco Taco
03-12-2008, 14:47
Time to give back to the AT folks! Thruhiker Karma is a good thing!

hobojoe
03-12-2008, 14:52
Best experience of my life!!!! This would be year 4 for me. Oh god, I can't freakin wait to see all those folks. Bob Peoples for president!!!! Yeah, sign up is at the ahlda tent near the gear tents on damascus green. It fills up pretty quick so get there early.

Jack Tarlin
03-13-2008, 15:35
Good info above, but hikers should note that dinner is provided for the workers on BOTH days of the event, and the food ain't bad, if I say so myself. :D

hobojoe
03-13-2008, 15:53
Good info above, but hikers should note that dinner is provided for the workers on BOTH days of the event, and the food ain't bad, if I say so myself. :D
He ain't foolin. Keeps me coming back every year.....Oh, and all that cr@p about giving back to the trail, of course.